Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2006   #1
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas
Default Brad Hopkins in the FA?

The titans recently released a report saying they will probably be getting rid of LT Brad Hopkins...If so I think he would be a great addition to our team because we need a LT really bad..Then we could leave alone D'Brick and go for Bush or Mario Williams...Just seeing yalls opinion on this subject.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #2
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he would be a good addition. However, with his age creeping up I would prefer to keep the contract short/cheap.
Old 02-28-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He is 36 years old. I know OLmen last longer than most positions, but that is still getting up there. He missed games each of the last two years and last year struggled more with 5.5 sacks given up and 12 penalties called on him.
Old 02-28-2006   #4
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

NOOOOOOOOO. He will be 36 by the time the season starts. He is not what we want, he is actually the opposite of what we want. He is old and slow, we want young and athletic.

And I want to know, what is the problem with Brick, he is obviously the most talented athletic OT in years and we may be able to bring in John Abraham and still get him. He is definitely worth the money. Why do you guys consistently try to fill in our LT spot with old and below average players, just so we wont take Brick in round 1. There are not many good young FA LT prospects. Do you know why, because know team is dumb enough to let a top teir LT slip between their fingers.
Old 02-28-2006   #5
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't want him because he is 36 years old. I think we should save our cash and pay a decent FA or a great player (ie. LeCharles Bentley).
Old 02-28-2006   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
NOOOOOOOOO. He will be 36 by the time the season starts. He is not what we want, he is actually the opposite of what we want. He is old and slow, we want young and athletic.

And I want to know, what is the problem with Brick, he is obviously the most talented athletic OT in years and we may be able to bring in John Abraham and still get him. He is definitely worth the money. Why do you guys consistently try to fill in our LT spot with old and below average players, just so we wont take Brick in round 1. There are not many good young FA LT prospects. Do you know why, because know team is dumb enough to let a top teir LT slip between their fingers.
Thats what im talkin' bout!!! we have the chance to possibly draft the best LT to come out this decade!!
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Texan7_5
Thats what im talkin' bout!!! we have the chance to possibly draft the best LT to come out this decade!!
And, even though he's a rookie, he could help the team by starting at RT immediately.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2006   #8
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
And, even though he's a rookie, he could help the team by starting at RT immediately.

That is good and will help so much. Please no players heading into the Retirement Home.
Old 02-28-2006   #9
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72

meh hes not much of a RT prospect.

poor run blocker, not overly strong... hes a LT all the way because his main strength is his athleticism. thats the only reason hes projected so high. potential.

he didnt play like a top 5 pick this season.
Old 02-28-2006   #10
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I didnt concider his age factor...the reason tho I would want to find a alternate to drafting D-Brick is because with a elite LT and Bush or someone I just think it would be better to use our first pick on someone else but I do like brick and would be happy with that if we picked him
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #11
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
The titans recently released a report saying they will probably be getting rid of LT Brad Hopkins...If so I think he would be a great addition to our team because we need a LT really bad..Then we could leave alone D'Brick and go for Bush or Mario Williams...Just seeing yalls opinion on this subject.

BH is up there in age, but it would not hurt to bring him here for a couple of yrs. You know, while we can develop a rookie at the position. Just a thought.
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

does any1 else see that this mean d'brick will probably be gone if we trade with the jets
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #13
Frills
Veteran

Isn't there dirt younger than Hopkins?
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
does any1 else see that this mean d'brick will probably be gone if we trade with the jets
Yup

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #15
Keldar
Veteran

Do we have a Methuselah smiley?
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #16
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anyone pointing this out... so I am going to note it here. ( just for the football junkies )

Brad Hopkins is the Tackle the Houston Oilers drafted in 1993 ahead of Houston native and Texas Southern product Michael Strahan.
Old 05-10-2006   #17
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

So why necro bump this thread?
Old 05-10-2006   #18
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I wouldn't bump it if you could get it to stop from bumping. It's mostly just to note it because I didn't see anyone else talking about it or pointing it out in the past posts. It will come up again in the future because of the Vince Young debate.

It's still timely because of Casserly, draft decisions, and for those handful of people that might like to weigh Casserly against other Houston GMs.
Old 05-10-2006   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If you are somehow drawing a comparison between Strahan and Vince, I think that might be a wee bit of a stretch.... especially since Casserly had nothing to do with the non-selection of either.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #20
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If you are somehow drawing a comparison between Strahan and Vince, I think that might be a wee bit of a stretch.... especially since Casserly had nothing to do with the non-selection of either.
no not really at all. It's more about looking at how particular Texans get washed with time. Few people think of Strahan as a Texas ball player ( outside of the hardcore junkies ). So in that light it could be said that Young could wash like Strahan did and the same will could be said for Casserly's pickings or non-pickings.

I doubt it because of the Rose Bowl glitz, but you never know until you know ( if you know what I mean )

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read