Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who would you keep?
Vernand Morency 56 46.67%
Jonathan Wells 62 51.67%
Neither! Hollings rules! 2 1.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Morency or Wells?

Let's not take into effect if we draft Bush or not. I'm just wondering, who would you rather keep if we have to cut either Jonathan Wells or Vernand Morency?

I would have to go with Wells. He wasn't the worst runner in the world last year when he had to fill in for Davis. He's also fullback-ish (6-1 252 lbs). I think I remember last year the Texans said they would play him a bit at fullback. Dunno how that worked out, but I could see Wells filling in for Moran Norris if he get's hurt.

Of course, if we had to cut Morency, that's just another waste of a pick. Casserly has already made his fair share of those...
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency is going to be in the second year of his contract. Wells is a FA and I'm pretty sure will not be with the team unless he signs cheap. Morency is going to be fun to watch next year and has tons more upside than Wells. Wells will be backing up and playing special team for someone.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells will challenge to start for someone if he leaves our team. You've got a lot of unhappy RBs out there (Alexander, and Edge, for starters) and that will leave voids on teams as the RBs shuffle from team-to-team. That creates a space for Wells who has definitely turned it around since his rookie year. We know he's not true starter material, but I think he's been consistent enough in his moments of glory to show some teams in the NFL a certain amount of "up side."

He is versatile, as well, with the special teams aspect of his game. This makes it even more appealing to teams who are in need of quality backs who can fill more than one roster spot.

I don't see him staying here. I see him using this past couple of seasons as a way to either demand better money from the Texans or to test the market.

I really do like Morency, and I think he'll supplant Wells this coming season as the season progresses. However....I prefer to have Wells AND Morency on our team, and draft OL after trading the No. 1, so that we have at least three strong backs. But that's just me.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells has proven himself as a good backup and special teamer. I'd pick him.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Wells will challenge to start for someone if he leaves our team. You've got a lot of unhappy RBs out there (Alexander, and Edge, for starters) and that will leave voids on teams as the RBs shuffle from team-to-team. That creates a space for Wells who has definitely turned it around since his rookie year. We know he's not true starter material, but I think he's been consistent enough in his moments of glory to show some teams in the NFL a certain amount of "up side."

He is versatile, as well, with the special teams aspect of his game. This makes it even more appealing to teams who are in need of quality backs who can fill more than one roster spot.

I don't see him staying here. I see him using this past couple of seasons as a way to either demand better money from the Texans or to test the market.

I really do like Morency, and I think he'll supplant Wells this coming season as the season progresses. However....I prefer to have Wells AND Morency on our team, and draft OL after trading the No. 1, so that we have at least three strong backs. But that's just me.
Who exactly can he start for? In a run happy offense, he couldnt hold onto a starting that was his for the taking? I like him as a special team player, but a starter? Stacey Mack, thats all I have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 02-28-2006 at 05:09 PM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #6
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

excuse me for the being the lone person to thinkg Hollings is the best was funny enough to vote for
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Wells also had a better understanding of pass blocking than any of the guys we currently have.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2006   #8
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I know I must be the only fan Tony Hollings still has, but he is a fantastic runner and I personally compare him to all the NFL greats. Signed, his dad.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

I don't see Wells starting for anyone. He's a good 2nd back to have, but he's not a starter. Maybe for the Cardinals, he's probably better than JJ Arrington, but no one else. Indy has Dominic Rhodes as their backup, he can get the job done. He did rush for 1100 yards the season Edgerrin James was out.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #10
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I havent seen enough from morency but I dont really like Wells so as of now I'd go with morency.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

If the CBA isn't extended, I could see an outside chance (10%) of Davis being traded and Wells being re-signed because he is more of a complementary back to Reggie Bush and will give the Texans more of a thunder and lightning backfield.

But I don't think it is going to happen.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #12
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

If Wells is a backup then Morrency is a backup's backup. That's the way I see it. Wells is good at blocking better than Davis and Morrency and he's a power runner. Morrency doesn't run with power matter of fact he usually can't run well at all he needs alot of work with his balance and footing. Everyone who says he has alot of upside, I don't see it, in the few games he's played I haven't seen much improvement. Wells to me is better than Morrency.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #13
stevo3883
All Pro

dude morency was a rookie. who when he saw the field averaged over 4ypc.

hes basically DD except quicker.
Old 02-28-2006   #14
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

I like Wells. He's a big boy.
Old 03-01-2006   #15
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells plays 3 positions, RB, FB, and special teams. Morency plays 1 position, RB. I'd rather us keep a guy like Wells who is alot bigger than having say Bush, Davis, and Morency. But IMO we're keeping Wells, DD, and Morency and drafting Bush. We had 4 RBs last year, why not 4 this year?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #16
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Why can't we just stick with Davis, Wells, Morency and a later round RB we pick up in the draft or see who else is available. We can add Bush (really dont care anymore about the Reggie n Vince talk) but we have other areas that need work like TE, OL and the defensive side of the ball. Our RB tandem worked ok last year so why change it if it aint broken I say *shrugs*...
Old 03-01-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells. Hes versatile...he can handle starting when necessary.. he is great on special teams...he can play FB...hes big and durable.

cant ask for more than that in a backup. Morency is less useful. Yah he has more upside..but i dont see him breaking out and becoming a star. Id rather have the depth that can help us in many ways... than the depth that can only play RB and is unlikely to ever completely win a starting spot.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Wells over Morency on what he does on special teams alone . The fact that he can play RB and FB is icing on the cake. He's also the best blocker of all the Texans backs .... This team needs more players like Wells . I really hope they can re-sign him.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #19
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Let's not take into effect if we draft Bush or not. I'm just wondering, who would you rather keep if we have to cut either Jonathan Wells or Vernand Morency?

I would have to go with Wells. He wasn't the worst runner in the world last year when he had to fill in for Davis. He's also fullback-ish (6-1 252 lbs). I think I remember last year the Texans said they would play him a bit at fullback. Dunno how that worked out, but I could see Wells filling in for Moran Norris if he get's hurt.

Of course, if we had to cut Morency, that's just another waste of a pick. Casserly has already made his fair share of those...
Wells, good in short yardage situations - well better than DD.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #20
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally liked the way Morency would run straight into the opposing team on the kick off returns. Good stuff.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read