Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-27-2006   #1
Snapple
Veteran

Default I'm still annoyed at the Rams game

I know people who were rooting for as low of a record as possible probably didn't mind the huge chokejob to the Rams in the regular season, but every time the Texans lose, it puts me in a sour mood to start my week.

Even months later, when I look back at the Texans-Rams game, I still have that bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, think about it. Not only did we choke away a 20-something point lead in the second half of the game, but we did it to a really lousy team. And, we choked to a rookie quarterback, who had zero playing experience, and who ended up stinking badly in every single other game he played in after that.

Sure, it helped our draft status, but to let a team that bad crawl back in the game and beat us just shows what kind of team we have. It didn't really help the old Texan pride.

Does anyone else feel this way, like "I can't believe we lost that game"? Or is everyone too excited about having the number one pick to care? Maybe it's just me.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

why would you bring this back-up? yes we were bad last year- but thats what the off-season is for- looking ahead and hoping. im much happier here thinking about D'brick, bush, or mario than reliving that nightmare season. anyway im happier that we finished 2-14 and #1, than 3-13 and #3. its better for us in the long run
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

'eh....I was becoming quite apathetic at that particular point in the season. When a team fails to have a single freakin' lead in it's first six games of the regular season - a record that has not been touched since 1933 - you start to become numb to it all.

While I remember feeling bitter after the Rams game as I was walking down the stairs from the 500s, I let it all go as soon as I got outside (and Jungle Bob did his customary "hard-hat slam" in front of the stadium, which is a tradition for every Texans home loss now...his hardhat is getting pretty beat up after last season).
Old 02-27-2006   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

There are much worse losses that prey on me. That game had zero significance.

I'm still getting over

January 4, 1992 Denver Broncos 26-24 Houston Oilers

and then, of course,

Jan. 3, 1993 Buffalo Bills 41-38 Houston Oilers
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic

I'm still getting over

and then, of course,

OF COURSE. That buffalo game comes on all the time on ESPN Classic. Hurts every time.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:

I'm still getting over

and then, of course,

That game had signifigance because it WAS the Texans. Your losses are all coming from the "now known as" Tennessee Titans.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #7
Capster67
Veteran

Default Many of Us Experienced It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Your losses are all coming from the "now known as" Tennessee Titans.
Just because the Oilers team/historical records moved with Bud to Tennessee doesn't mean that many of us Houston fans don't relate to it. I've kept all my Oilers stuff from 78 on (through 96) with my Texans stuff and consider it a part of the same collection.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2006   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember the game. It sucked. David Carr had probably the best game of the season that game, both 1st and 2nd half. It was the rest of the team that screwed up. At least we have the #1 pick.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because the Oilers team/historical records moved with Bud to Tennessee doesn't mean that many of us Houston fans don't relate to it.
Exactly. And think about it this way:

If the Oilers had won that game, they might have gone on to win the Super Bowl... They win the Super Bowl that year, and we're not here talking about the Texans because the Oilers are still here....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Nope. Every loss pisses me off, games like that especially where we had no business losing. It is one thing to get beat by a vastly superior team; that is what the offseason is for, building your team. It's another to choke to an equally sucktastic team. That's what firing people is for.

This #1 draft pick talk is exciting, but all things being equal, I'd rather be 9-7 and drafting #20 this year.
Old 02-27-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple

Even months later, when I look back at the Texans-Rams game, I still have that bad taste in my mouth.
I lost it in Week 5 (Titans @ Hou). It's the only game in a couple hundred or so that I've attended when I can remember leaving early.

By the Rams game, the Texans were 1-9 and their fate was sealed. They were a dead team walking. I remember laughing out loud when Kevin Curtis streaked into the endzone that day, and not just because he was my #3 fantasy WR.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say is, if that game didn't jade you for the rest of your life about anything remotely related to sports, then give thanks to God that you were too young at the time.

Pffft. What Rams game?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a funny story about that day..... after the game.... much too long to go into detail here but the end of the story is that about five hours after that game ended, the naked male in handcuffs who was laying in my front yard was hauled away in one of about nine police cruisers who had converged on the scene.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
why would you bring this back-up? yes we were bad last year- but thats what the off-season is for- looking ahead and hoping. im much happier here thinking about D'brick, bush, or mario than reliving that nightmare season. anyway im happier that we finished 2-14 and #1, than 3-13 and #3. its better for us in the long run
Are you sure having the number one pick helps us? Unless we are able to trade down, I really dont think drafting Reggie is going to help this team as much as helping the O-line. If we are sitting at 3, it would be a given we would be drafting D'Brick, now, its not so sure.
Old 02-27-2006   #15
Almost Anybody
Rookie

Quote:
If the Oilers had won that game, they might have gone on to win the Super Bowl... They win the Super Bowl that year, and we're not here talking about the Texans because the Oilers are still here....
I believe that with my entire heart and soul. That Buffalo game planted the apathy seed, which eventually grew into the Tennessee Titans.
Almost Anybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #16
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I have a funny story about that day..... after the game.... much too long to go into detail here but the end of the story is that about five hours after that game ended, the naked male in handcuffs who was laying in my front yard was hauled away in one of about nine police cruisers who had converged on the scene.
Wait, what?
Old 02-27-2006   #17
DenverBorn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I remember the game. It sucked. David Carr had probably the best game of the season that game, both 1st and 2nd half. It was the rest of the team that screwed up. At least we have the #1 pick.
Uhhhhhh - I don't think so. Despite the fact that we blew a 10 point lead with 34 seconds to play, we still went into overtime and won the coin flip. Haircut Boy had the ball inside the Rams 50 yard line, and if my memory serves me correctly, couldn't make a first down after having 2nd-and-5.

Some guys can win at crunch time (Vince?), and others can't (Haircut Boy).
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
Uhhhhhh - I don't think so. Despite the fact that we blew a 10 point lead with 34 seconds to play, we still went into overtime and won the coin flip. Haircut Boy had the ball inside the Rams 50 yard line, and if my memory serves me correctly, couldn't make a first down after having 2nd-and-5.

Some guys can win at crunch time (Vince?), and others can't (Haircut Boy).
Yeah, if Vince had been in the game AJ would have come down with both feet in bounds or the review official would have at least said he did. Brilliant--not. It is just ridiculous when the man crush gets to the point where an obvious D melt-down gets blamed on the QB.
Old 02-27-2006   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
It is just ridiculous when the man crush gets to the point where an obvious D melt-down gets blamed on the QB.
yeah, I get annoyed when people try to blame Warren Moon for the choke in Buffalo. I mean, dude had virtually flawless half, completed 19 of 22 passes for 218 yards and 0 INTs with four TD passes. But obviously he called in the prevent defense for the second half of the game and just couldn't protect that 32 point lead.

Same with blaming DC for this particular choke. yeah, o.k, whatever you say.
Old 02-27-2006   #20
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Are you sure having the number one pick helps us? Unless we are able to trade down, I really dont think drafting Reggie is going to help this team as much as helping the O-line. If we are sitting at 3, it would be a given we would be drafting D'Brick, now, its not so sure.
If I remember correctly SF had a stronger strength of schedule. So we would have been at the #2 spot. To be honest I think that would have been better and I actually was rooting for the Texans to win the game, but when they lost it made me regret having quit drinking for a little bit. Don't worry I didn't regress or anything that was just how bad it did me. I still wish we had won one more game. It's not so bad having the #1 pick though.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read