Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-26-2006   #1
jjcorvallis
Rookie

Default Is there any reason not to trade David Carr?

I am personally for drafting vince and trade David Carr.

But I don't think people wants to trade David Carr.

I just want to know why.
jjcorvallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

cap hit...if they were going to trade him they would not have gone with the 3 year re-up.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think we could get enough in return for carr to make it worth trading him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #4
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Well right now as it sits he worth a high 2nd rd'r from someone right now if were trading him for a draft pick. I'm pretty sure we could package him up with someone (Peek, Babin, TJ, Mathis, etc...) and get a low 1st rd'r too. If he has another dismal season then he won't be worth a 5th next year. JMO.
Old 02-26-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Well right now as it sits he worth a high 2nd rd'r from someone right now if were trading him for a draft pick. I'm pretty sure we could package him up with someone (Peek, Babin, TJ, Mathis, etc...) and get a low 1st rd'r too. If he has another dismal season then he won't be worth a 5th next year. JMO.
So we give up our QB, and another young player who is supposed to lock down yet another position, AND we pay his cap hit...all so we can draft someone who isn't ready to start in the NFL for 2 years???

Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 02-26-2006   #6
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

the reason we dont trade carr is simple we wouldnt get anything in return for him we might get a second day pick if god blesses us but lets face it who wants a QB who has showed time and time again he cant play in this league hell if i was a gm for another team i wouldnt even consider having carr in my team with drew brees josh mccown and the posiblity of trading for matt chaub all of this better than carr so thats why we cant trade carr. let the negative rating began for the truth
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #7
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
the reason we dont trade carr is simple we wouldnt get anything in return for him we might get a second day pick if god blesses us but lets face it who wants a QB who has showed time and time again he cant play in this league hell if i was a gm for another team i wouldnt even consider having carr in my team with drew brees josh mccown and the posiblity of trading for matt chaub all of this better than carr so thats why we cant trade carr. let the negative rating began for the truth
I dunno. The Carr-boys here seem to think lots of other teams would be interested in Carr for a late 1st rounder / early 2nd rounder, maybe PLUS a player! I argued this before--since we're not going to win for a couple of years anyway, why not trade Carr and take Leinart/Cutler/Young to build into our QB for future (3rd year out)?

Never got a good answer.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2006   #8
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I dunno. The Carr-boys here seem to think lots of other teams would be interested in Carr for a late 1st rounder / early 2nd rounder, maybe PLUS a player! I argued this before--since we're not going to win for a couple of years anyway, why not trade Carr and take Leinart/Cutler/Young to build into our QB for future (3rd year out)?

Never got a good answer.
Because you dont necessarily have to spend big $$$ on a 1st or 2nd round QB and still take the time to groom him. Hopefully the FO has learnt this from the experiment with David, though an O-line would have helped him a LOT!
Old 02-27-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
cap hit...if they were going to trade him they would not have gone with the 3 year re-up.
The 3 yr deal really makes it more likely that we would trade him......... in the second/third year, when Vince will be ready to play. If we were to sign him to the two year deal, we'd have to be thinking to trade this year, and start Vince this year........ that won't happen. If anything the management is probably thinking they should've sat Carr the first year..... Successfull first year starters are really a rarity over the history of the NFL........
Old 02-27-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
The 3 yr deal really makes it more likely that we would trade him.........
that's so much bs it's just dumb. No way teams set themselves up to hammer themselves with a nearly 10 mil cap hits a few months later. I see a boatload of dumb comments I don't say anything about floating around here (amazing really)...but jeez...some of this stuff is just stupid.

Old 02-27-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

If they were to trade him this year, yes they would take a $8 million cap hit. That would be stupid to take the 3 year instead of the 2 year deal, if they meant to trade him this year.

But if they'd rather hang their hat on the VY nail, or even try for Brady Quinn next year, they take the three year deal. Next year, I think he'll only be a $4million hit, and the year after, only $2million........
Old 02-27-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
That would be stupid to take the 3 year instead of the 2 year deal, if they meant to trade him this year.
Quote:
The 3 yr deal really makes it more likely that we would trade him.........
Oooooookkkkkayyy

Old 02-27-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they were to trade him this year, yes they would take a $8 million cap hit. That would be stupid to take the 3 year instead of the 2 year deal, if they meant to trade him this year.

But if they'd rather hang their hat on the VY nail, or even try for Brady Quinn next year, they take the three year deal. Next year, I think he'll only be a $4million hit, and the year after, only $2million........
I think if our front office had any doubt about keeping him we wouldn't have signed him to the extension. What would be stupid is to sign a guy to any kind of deal for that kind of money just to turn around and trade him and probably get no more than a 2nd round pick if that. If our front office was set on drafting any QB with the #1 pick, they would have let Carr walk.
Old 02-27-2006   #14
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Read through a couple of days of post history, but essentially, we just re-signed Carr, we eat his entire bonus if we trade him, and he is essentially a four-year veteran of which his only certain skills are:

(a) Can take a hell of a lot of punishment.
(b) Has a big arm

The bottom line is that there are teams who would love to have him in terms of what we would be giving up for what we would get, it just doesn't pay off.

Regardless, Carr has as much upside as any one in the league and we have brought in a coach renown for bringing out the best in his QB. Additionally you are deluding yourself if you honestly believe our coaching and of course our offensive line has been anything more than abysmal, and so while Carr has not lived up to expectations to this point, it is reasonable to believe he can do better with a legitimate coach/supporting cast.

Simple enough?
Old 02-27-2006   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Read through a couple of days of post history, but essentially, we just re-signed Carr, we eat his entire bonus if we trade him, and he is essentially a four-year veteran of which his only certain skills are:

(a) Can take a hell of a lot of punishment.
(b) Has a big arm

The bottom line is that there are teams who would love to have him in terms of what we would be giving up for what we would get, it just doesn't pay off.

Regardless, Carr has as much upside as any one in the league and we have brought in a coach renown for bringing out the best in his QB. Additionally you are deluding yourself if you honestly believe our coaching and of course our offensive line has been anything more than abysmal, and so while Carr has not lived up to expectations to this point, it is reasonable to believe he can do better with a legitimate coach/supporting cast.

Simple enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I think if our front office had any doubt about keeping him we wouldn't have signed him to the extension. What would be stupid is to sign a guy to any kind of deal for that kind of money just to turn around and trade him and probably get no more than a 2nd round pick if that. If our front office was set on drafting any QB with the #1 pick, they would have let Carr walk.

Of course they haven't made up their minds yet..... Especially considering the extension was excersized before the first interview with any player. I think it's still up in the air, I have no idea what they will/will not do. I do know what I want them to do. I'm just saying the 3 year extension means nothing in regards to what they will do in the draft, especially when most everyone believes Vince will need 3 years to be ready.

synergy.
Old 02-27-2006   #17
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

People here need to stop hanging on every word McClain says...even his subliminal comments are against all common sense. He always speaks so matter of factly but is rarely right more than anybody else.

McClain can say that the cap hit doesn't matter at all but the fact is - it does! Carr's cap hit is TOO big for him to be traded this year. It's simply NOT going to happen no matter how bad McClain wants it to. He also says that we can pull a San Diego situation. Yeah, Brees is a FA - that worked out real well for them.

We won 2 games last year and a miracle play cost us 3 more. That's 5 games - we won 7 the year before. We'll be adding Free Agents, a weapon on offense (Bush, Brick) OR on defense (Mario W) and other skill players with our other picks PLUS, we'll be coached better than we have in our existence to date. We're not trading Carr and we're not that far off from coming together.

We're keeping Carr and drafting someone in the top 4 and it most likely is NOT Young even though McClain swears it will be. We're not rebuilding and we're not reloading - we're kinda in the RE-MATRIX type area where we're not sure what's real and what's not....

What is real is that cap hit and we're NOT trading Carr, and as McClain said about Tennessee taking Young (Even though they have 3 QB's and NO real LT and Brick will be there "You can take that that to the bank!"
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

All this "We can Trade Carr and draft VY" is nothing but a bunch of Tsip BS where they keep clicking those Ruby slippers, hoping for the miracle that isn't coming. The kid has question marks regarding his mental ability, arm strength, coachability, ability to read defenses, the type of offense he played in etc., and this is suposed to equal the number one pick in a very good draft class when he isn't even the highest rated player at his position, much less in the draft. It make ZERO sense to do that IMO. Is he athleticaly talented.......HECK yes, but he is a VERY high risk pick with a possible high reward. That ISN'T the type of player you pick #1, that is the classic profile of a DEVELOPMENT pick and one I would do later, but NOT as the number one.

De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by edo783; 02-27-2006 at 09:20 PM.
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think most of the hype is dying down. People are realizing that Young isn't the best QB in the draft (might not even be the second best) and that the Texans will most likely draft Reggie Bush. Even McClain and Justice are acting less militant and more rational. On Richard's blog he was discussing whether the Texans should pick up T.O. and conceded to the idea of Bush on the team and didn't even bring up Vince. Then today on PTI he said that the Texans are going to pick Bush and that they aren't going to trade no matter what Casserly is saying now.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #20
Tha_Tinman
Veteran

Default I Dunno ...

But the Texans are just adding fuel on to the fire by releasing a QB AND a RB. They absolutely HAVE to replace both of those guys right?

Now we have 2 QB's and 2 RB's ...options ...you can draft both positions with the 1st and 2nd round picks ...and get quality ...or pick up Tim Couch (how did he do in his tryout anyway?) or Josh McCown (who I really like).

Who knows what these guys are gonna do now. If we're going to keep Carr though ...I'm liking the idea of shocking the world ...by trading the pick ...picking up some value ...and drafting Vernon Davis at TE.
Tha_Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read