Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-26-2006   #1
yako0o
Rookie

Default Jet fan here, So we may be trading up with you guys?

Jets | Rumor alert: team moving up to No. 1
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:53:02 -0800

Vic Carucci, of NFL.com, reports one rumor making the rounds at the NFL Combine was the New York Jets trading with the Houston Texans to acquire the No. 1 pick so they can select a quarterback to replace QB Chad Pennington. As the rumor goes, the Jets supposedly covet former USC QB Matt Leinart.

Personally, if we move up and its not for Reggie Bush I might have my first heart attack, and im only 22.
yako0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #2
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If they are listening to Charlie then they might not know the short leash he is on
Old 02-26-2006   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako0o
Jets | Rumor alert: team moving up to No. 1
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:53:02 -0800

Vic Carucci, of NFL.com, reports one rumor making the rounds at the NFL Combine was the New York Jets trading with the Houston Texans to acquire the No. 1 pick so they can select a quarterback to replace QB Chad Pennington. As the rumor goes, the Jets supposedly covet former USC QB Matt Leinart.

Personally, if we move up and its not for Reggie Bush I might have my first heart attack, and im only 22.
Well, your team would be better off going with Lienhert or Fergueson.

As far as trading with us, we should be looking for Abe, a second, fourth, and a 2nd next year. Maybe a 5th this year from us to you.

The price will be steep, but it is being asked.
Old 02-26-2006   #4
yako0o
Rookie

Quote:
Well, your team would be better off going with Lienhert or Fergueson.

As far as trading with us, we should be looking for Abe, a second, fourth, and a 2nd next year. Maybe a 5th this year from us to you.

The price will be steep, but it is being asked.
Are you including 1-4 in that plan?

If you are, then you are asking too much, even by Eli Mannings standard.

And if were applying the Manning standard here, I also must say EVERY draft has a different level of Elite/First round/second round talent, Meaning the value of picks is different every year.

IMO our fourth, has ALOT more value then the Chargers got with their 4th pick.
Old 02-26-2006   #5
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Who would we be trying to get from the jets? I was thinking abraham but didnt he just get tagged?
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #6
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

am i correct in that the jets 2 years a ago traded their number 1 pick and the next years number one pick to move up? thats the reason they didn't have a number 1 last year right? someone correct me if i'm wrong.. so they aren't affraid to deal next years number 1.
Old 02-26-2006   #7
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTim5125
am i correct in that the jets 2 years a ago traded their number 1 pick and the next years number one pick to move up? thats the reason they didn't have a number 1 last year right? someone correct me if i'm wrong.. so they aren't affraid to deal next years number 1.
They had two first round picks in the year that Andre Johnson was picked. They traded up with Arizona or the Saints to #4. I can't remember the entire thing. As far as last year I am not sure. Let me look it up.
Old 02-26-2006   #8
Ryan71780
Rookie

They tagged abe so they could trade him. I would hope we could get Abe, 4th pick and 2nd rounder and maybe move up some in a later round
Ryan71780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #9
TheTim5125
Veteran

I think that was the year they drafted Vilma
Old 02-26-2006   #10
cap1
All Pro

2003 Traded up
2004 Drafted LB Vilma
2005 no Pick it belonged to Oakland. Was #26.

The following from: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo.../nfl_draft_ap/
The New York Jets used the fourth overall pick to take defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson. The Jets dealt the 13th and 22nd draft picks to the Chicago Bears on Friday for a shot at taking Robertson.

Robertson was a three-year starter at Kentucky before giving up his final season of eligibility. He was named second-team All-SEC last year, recording 48 tackles and five sacks.

Knee and ankle injuries hampered Robertson's sophomore season, limiting him to 26 tackles and one sack. His career numbers don't prove it, but he has the ability to dominate and isn't easy to block.

The 6-1, 317-pound Robertson gets off the ball quickly and continues to develop his pass-rushing skills. He can get upfield, has good instincts and uses his wide frame well.
Old 02-26-2006   #11
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Are you including 1-4 in that plan?

If you are, then you are asking too much, even by Eli Mannings standard.

And if were applying the Manning standard here, I also must say EVERY draft has a different level of Elite/First round/second round talent, Meaning the value of picks is different every year.

IMO our fourth, has ALOT more value then the Chargers got with their 4th pick.
I dont agree. Trading out of the top 3 this draft is more of a major move then ever (least the last few years) in trade value. With Bush a part of this draft really elevates it. Taking the Jets 1 (4th), 2nd round, 4th round and 2nd next year would be about right. Since you move down a level at 4th pick, Unless one of the top 3 (bush,lienhart,or vince) somehow gets bumped down which wont happen, then 4th pick of the draft is the 1st pick of the 4th to 10th talent with is a level down.
Old 02-26-2006   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Spare your heart. Your team managed to get itself 25 million bucks over the cap. They couldn't trade up if they wanted to.

There gonna sit there and do nothing and watch D'Brickashaw fall right into their laps. GOD! I'm jealous!

Old 02-26-2006   #13
cap1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTim5125
Found it: http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/trades

Raiders Get
1st round, No. 26 (traded to Seahawks)
7th round, No. 230 (traded to Patriots)

Jets Get
Doug Jolley, TE
2nd round, No. 47: Mike Nugent, K, Ohio State
6th round, No. 182: Cedric Houston, RB, Tennessee
6th round, No. 185: Eric Moore, DE, Florida State
Old 02-26-2006   #14
TheTim5125
Veteran

Say these rumors are true and the jets take Leinhart... heres hypothetically what happens

Jets from houston- Matt Leinhart
Saints- Need a QB, they take Young or trade down to someone who wants bush
Titans- Take young or bush depending on who's available ( i hope they don't take ferguson)
Texans from Jets- D'Brickshaw Ferguson

that really spices things up.. also from what I hear the saints really like Cutler. man i love draft talk in february
Old 02-26-2006   #15
yako0o
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Spare your heart. Your team managed to get itself 25 million bucks over the cap. They couldn't trade up if they wanted to.

There gonna sit there and do nothing and watch D'Brickashaw fall right into their laps. GOD! I'm jealous!

You are misinformed. We are around 97m INCLUDING John Abraham, and waiting on Chad Pennington Cutting his salary this year(Hes at 12m right now). Our cap is fine, and was heavily exaggerated by the media.

Quote:
I dont agree. Trading out of the top 3 this draft is more of a major move then ever (least the last few years) in trade value. With Bush a part of this draft really elevates it. Taking the Jets 1 (4th), 2nd round, 4th round and 2nd next year would be about right. Since you move down a level at 4th pick, Unless one of the top 3 (bush,lienhart,or vince) somehow gets bumped down which wont happen, then 4th pick of the draft is the 1st pick of the 4th to 10th talent with is a level down.
Dime, Firstly--Were not moving up to take Bush.

Secondly, I responded to "YoungTexanFan" who included abraham in his proposed deal, and "If he was including 1-4" as well I thought it was too much value.

Although I see no reason to get ripped off as the Chargers did, I do expect to give up significant value to move up 3 spots.

An example how everydraft is different is many draft experts have said there will be around 40-45 first round grades in this years draft. So this year, our second(And your also) will have a first round grade, and value is higher then most years.

This is just speculation, But if a trade does go down I wonder if Kevin Mawae is involved in the trade as well. Yes, player trades rarely happen but we save 1m dollars this year if he is cut/traded, and his base salary for the next two years is CRAZY CHEAP. Whoever we trade him to(if we trade him), will be getting a cheap Pro Bowl type player.
Old 02-26-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are misinformed. We are around 97m INCLUDING John Abraham, and waiting on Chad Pennington Cutting his salary this year(Hes at 12m right now). Our cap is fine, and was heavily exaggerated by the media.

Dime, Firstly--Were not moving up to take Bush.

Secondly, I responded to "YoungTexanFan" who included abraham in his proposed deal, and "If he was including 1-4" as well I thought it was too much value.

Although I see no reason to get ripped off as the Chargers did, I do expect to give up significant value to move up 3 spots.

An example how everydraft is different is many draft experts have said there will be around 40-45 first round grades in this years draft. So this year, our second(And your also) will have a first round grade, and value is higher then most years.

This is just speculation, But if a trade does go down I wonder if Kevin Mawae is involved in the trade as well. Yes, player trades rarely happen but we save 1m dollars this year if he is cut/traded, and his base salary for the next two years is CRAZY CHEAP. Whoever we trade him to(if we trade him), will be getting a cheap Pro Bowl type player.

I included Abe in the deal for a few reasons. I posted some ideas on your MB if you want to take a look, I'm under the same name.

Abe did not want to be franchised, and has stated he does not want to be in NY. I included him because you do have a DE to replace him, your #4 overall pick of a few years back, and you do need a QB as of right now. Lienhert is the guy you are trading up for, everyone should realize that.

That might be a little much to ask, but I would expect nothing less than this: Abe, #4 overall, 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder next year.

While cap space may not be quite the issue it was made out to be, it is still a prevalent concern for your team. I do expect Abe to be traded. I do not expect him to be tendered by another team, thus forcing them to give up at least a first rounder. He will be traded for whatever you can get, and if he thickens the pot for your franchise QB, it makes all the sense.
Old 02-26-2006   #17
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

The more I hear about the trade down possiblities, the more excited I get. Now YakoOo, I agree that what YoungTexan was a little steep so what you think bout this. I think that the Texans get John Abraham, Jet round 1(#4) pick, this years second and 5th. I would hope that the Texans would take that.
Old 02-26-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
The more I hear about the trade down possiblities, the more excited I get. Now YakoOo, I agree that what YoungTexan was a little steep so what you think bout this. I think that the Texans get John Abraham, Jet round 1(#4) pick, this years second and 5th. I would hope that the Texans would take that.
I could live with that, I also showed a lessened, maybe more realistic offer.
Old 02-26-2006   #19
yako0o
Rookie

Quote:
I included Abe in the deal for a few reasons. I posted some ideas on your MB if you want to take a look, I'm under the same name.

YoungTexanFan, what MB are you referring too, is there one on this site?

The site I usually post at is Jetsinsider, as the founders of Draftdaddy.com are residents there as well as many others who either write articles for other sites, or for the premium site @ Jetsinsider. I would have to say it is one of the best sites on the net, so I welcome anyone to come discuss anything there. Were talking about this sitation now. At that site, its all about intelligent football talk, and most people are wellinformed of salary cap info etc.

Now I will post again, and review what you said.
Old 02-26-2006   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
YoungTexanFan, what MB are you referring too, is there one on this site?

The site I usually post at is Jetsinsider, as the founders of Draftdaddy.com are residents there as well as many others who either write articles for other sites, or for the premium site @ Jetsinsider. I would have to say it is one of the best sites on the net, so I welcome anyone to come discuss anything there. Were talking about this sitation now. At that site, its all about intelligent football talk, and most people are wellinformed of salary cap info etc.

Now I will post again, and review what you said.
I was refering to the official one on your team website. I did not care enough to look for other MB's.

Most people on the "official" board are quite rude and the set-up is very poor. Everything related to football, including drafts, stadium info and EVERYTHING else is in ONE forum!!!

I'll stop by your other MB some day soon when its not 11 30. Most of the Vince Lovers have died off now, and you will start to see the more intelligent of us post. (not saying VY lovers aren't intelligent, just that we saw a CRAZY influx of "draft Vince now" mentalities in the weeks following the rose bowl.)
We have gone over most options, and most of the serious guys have put together a "big board" already and are updating it as the combine and pro-days come and go. We are well informed on our cap, as well as others. People from draft sites stop and post on our MB also. IMO, draftdaddy is the 'National Enquier' of major draft sites.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read