Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak on Domanick Davis

from www.kffl.com

Texans | Kubiak talks about D. Davis
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:40:41 -0800

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak was asked at the NFL Combine Friday, Feb. 24, about his impressions of RB Domanick Davis and he responded: "I think he's a fine player. I've spent some time with him since I've come to Houston. But I also know in this league it takes two. A lot of teams are playing two or three guys. I know in Denver we did that. I know Domanick did get beat up some this year. I think he missed four or five games. And it never hurts to have another one. I think he'll be a benefit to Domanick if we do add another quality back to our football team in the long haul. He'll continue to do his job. He's a fine player."
Old 02-24-2006   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It is an interesting phrasing, saying add another quality back rather than use another quality back.
Old 02-24-2006   #3
C-Note
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to C-Note

Gary just finish off of Total Access and man he is a brick to break....he has some interest in D'Brick!
C-Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is kinda a beneign, indifferent sort of remark about Davis which is hardly
the same as the expression of support he gave in remarks about David Carr.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #5
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kubiak
I think he'll be a benefit to Domanick if we do add another quality back to our football team in the long haul.
The writing is on the wall folks...

The Marshall Faulk clone playing in Houston is gonna be a fantastic sight to see I guarantee
Old 02-25-2006   #6
DenverBorn
Veteran

don't forget the Broncos have a history of turning middle round running back picks into 1,000 yard rushers. So saying we need two guys in the backfield is not the same as saying we're going to draft Reggie Bush. Hey didn't CC spend a second round pick on Hollings and a third round pick on Morency? What about those guys?
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
Hey didn't CC spend a second round pick on Hollings and a third round pick on Morency? What about those guys?
Hollings is a total, complete bust ! The worst Draft pick the Texans have made to this point. He would have been cut long ago had the team not invested a 2nd rounder in him. On the other hand, Morency appears to have
real potential, though he didn't get too many touches last year. Many feel that if it was just him and Davis, he would bump Davis as the starting RB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2006   #8
LikeABoss
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn
don't forget the Broncos have a history of turning middle round running back picks into 1,000 yard rushers.
1st - 1,000 yards is nothing to brag about. It can easily be achieved by just giving someone 300+ carries for the whole season. And if it takes you that many carries just to get 1,000 yards for the season, that means you literally SUCK at what you do. Real Talk...

2nd - Mike Shanahan is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Head Coach of the Denver Broncos, Gary Kukiak was the offensive coordinator. Using mid to late round draft picks on RB's to fit his system was Mike Shanahan's decision, and his decision alone.
Old 02-25-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Hollings is a total, complete bust ! The worst Draft pick the Texans have made to this point. He would have been cut long ago had the team not invested a 2nd rounder in him. On the other hand, Morency appears to have
real potential, though he didn't get too many touches last year. Many feel that if it was just him and Davis, he would bump Davis as the starting RB.
I think he will, but it's probably going to take a few years (if we don't take Bush, of course).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #10
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
1st - 1,000 yards is nothing to brag about. It can easily be achieved by just giving someone 300+ carries for the whole season. And if it takes you that many carries just to get 1,000 yards for the season, that means you literally SUCK at what you do. Real Talk...

2nd - Mike Shanahan is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Head Coach of the Denver Broncos, Gary Kukiak was the offensive coordinator. Using mid to late round draft picks on RB's to fit his system was Mike Shanahan's decision, and his decision alone.
I'm pretty sure Davis didn't need 64 more carries to get 24 more yards this year. He's consistent - he always puts up a good 4 yards per carry against defenses stacking the box because of a lack of passing support. Like Kubiak was saying, Davis was overworked and needs another back to spell him.
Old 02-25-2006   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
It is an interesting phrasing, saying add another quality back rather than use another quality back.
I noticed that, too! I think he's looking at it in the most simplest of terms. He can either add a player with the 1st pick, or use it to replace a player.

Old 02-25-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I noticed that, too! I think he's looking at it in the most simplest of terms. He can either add a player with the 1st pick, or use it to replace a player.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
The writing is on the wall folks...

The Marshall Faulk clone playing in Houston is gonna be a fantastic sight to see I guarantee

I agree. It seems like every day there is more news that subtly implies us drafting Reggie.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #14
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
I'm pretty sure Davis didn't need 64 more carries to get 24 more yards this year. He's consistent - he always puts up a good 4 yards per carry against defenses stacking the box because of a lack of passing support. Like Kubiak was saying, Davis was overworked and needs another back to spell him.
I agree, Davis has been overworked... we have a good tandem in Wells and Davis, they just havent been used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I dont know who thinks Morency would start over DD, but they need to lay off the hooch, Morency is a #3 RB at best, he still has to prove he can take Wells spot before DD's
Old 02-25-2006   #15
LikeABoss
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey
he always puts up a good 4 yards per carry against defenses stacking the box because of a lack of passing support.
Here's where your argument is flawed. If Domanick was going up against 8-9 man fronts, then that would mean Andre is singled-covered. Andre WOULD break records against single-coverages!!! Andre Johnson is the ONLY deep threat, take it to the house kind of weapon in this offense who opposing teams respect and gameplan to stop. NO ONE gameplans to stop Domanick Davis...
Old 02-25-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NO ONE gameplans to stop Domanick Davis...
All those commentators and coaches were wrong last season I guess. 2004 folks focused on AJ and the passing game. Last year with the disaster of an O we had, the only thing functioning was the running game--don't forget AJ was out or hobbled in several games last year as well. It was correctly noted a number of times last year by the commentators and by several opposing coaches in pre and post game interviews that teams were focusing on shutting DD down to put the Texans in 3rd and long so they could pin their ears back on Carr. Doesn't mean DD is Walter Peyton--just means teams focus on the most productive part of an opposing O.
Old 02-25-2006   #17
LikeABoss
All Pro

Quote:
Wow, all those commentators and coaches were wrong last season I guess. 2004 folks focused on AJ and the passing game. Last year with the disaster of an O we had, the only thing functioning was the running game. It was correctly noted a number of times last year by the commentators and by several opposing coaches in pre and post game interviews that teams were focusing on shutting DD down to put the Texans in 3rd and long so they could pin their ears back on Carr. Doesn't mean DD is Walter Peyton--just means teams focus on the most productive part of an opposing O.
There is no way to deny that Andre would not be having career days if opposing defenses were stacking the line to stop Domanick Davis. A 6'3" 219lb WR that runs a 4.3 40 out matches a 5'11" CB 99% of the time, especially if he is as talented as Andre.

I didn't get to watch many Texan games at all last season, but I know the damage Andre would do when healthy and seeing single-coverages all game long. There is no denying that. Teams just cannot afford to leave Andre single covered and expect not to pay for it.
Old 02-25-2006   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

DD
Wells
Morency
Bush

A guy like Kubiak sees that sort of lineup and thinks it fits pretty well with what he was a part of in Denver.

I think Kubiak and his o line coaches think they can slavage our current o line, based on the semi-flattering comments they have paid the o line by saying that they are going to get in there and work with them and blah-blah-blah. They aren't wasting their breath. They're not playing mind games to conceal their draft strategy. I think they really are going to try and re-coach the current line by just improving the pass blocking since the zone blocking in the run game has produced better-than-average results considering we shouldn't have had any sort of coherent and effective running game at all with the kind of season our o line had in the pass blocking game.

I want 'Brick really bad...but I just think Kubiak and staff are salivating at acquiring one more solid RB to add to the roster of DD, Wells, and Morency. Only trouble is that we'll be forced to pay Wells for his improvement or let him go to another team to try his hand at starting for a team. Which is all the more reason for Kubiak to draft Bush.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #19
LikeABoss
All Pro

Quote:
All those commentators and coaches were wrong last season I guess. 2004 folks focused on AJ and the passing game. Last year with the disaster of an O we had, the only thing functioning was the running game--don't forget AJ was out or hobbled in several games last year as well. It was correctly noted a number of times last year by the commentators and by several opposing coaches in pre and post game interviews that teams were focusing on shutting DD down to put the Texans in 3rd and long so they could pin their ears back on Carr. Doesn't mean DD is Walter Peyton--just means teams focus on the most productive part of an opposing O.
Okay, let me use the Washignton Redskins as a pefect example in a similar situation. We know that Joe Gibbs is the kind of coach who likes to run the football, so he brings in Clinton Portis to carry the load for him. Teams know that Clinton could take it to the house if they do not account for him, so teams would stack the line of scrimmage to stop the him.

Now last season (2004), that's all Clinton faced was 8-9 man fronts and the Redskins had no deep threat WR none whatsoever to counter the line of scrimmage being stacked. So after the 2004 season, people were questioning whether Clinton was the product of the Denver's system and was he the right kind of back for Gibbs offense.

So for the 2005 season, Gibbs made a few changes to the offense, Clinton added on a few pounds to sustain the pounding he was taking with all those carries he was getting, and in comes the addition of Santana Moss.

Teams still figured Washington was gonna continue running Clinton Portis, so these teams would continue stacking the line of scrimmage to stop Clinton Portis. This would then leave their CB on a island with the speedster Santana Moss, who would later make them pay for it, which was the reason he(Moss) was voted to the Pro Bowl this year.

The addition of Santana Moss to the Redskins offense was one of the primary reasons why teams couldn't stack the line of scrimmage anymore to stop the run, was one of the primary reasons Clinton didn't see those 8-9 man fronts which was why he was able to rush for 1,500 yards again, and was one of the primary reasons Mark Brunell was able to resurrect his career.

Now my point is, if were getting this Pro Bowl production from the run game that everyone claims we are getting with Davis. That would then create opportunities for the passing game to open up without seeing much attention from the defense. As of now, I do not see the running game opening up opportunities for the passing game.

So that leaves me to believe that teams were really not stacking the line with 8-9 man fronts to stop Domanick Davis cause if so, AJ would have torched them, and that did not happen.

Last edited by LikeABoss; 02-25-2006 at 03:39 PM.
LikeABoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #20
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Really kubiak could have meant anything by this comment...I am one of the beleivers that thinks hes hinting a tad bit at taking reggie bush...However he could also mean picking up someone else in a trade/FA or trying to give more playing time to one of our other RB's.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read