Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2006   #1
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default I just don't think our team is all that bad the way they are...

I mean, if we didn't draft 1 single person this year and played all the starters from last year, it is my honest opinion that with the coaching staff that has been hired now, they would do much, much better. So to me, I personally think we are going to be in a great situation next year. No, I don't think we are going super bowl or anything like that, but I do see us being a contender and a team to be reckoned with. I am still confident that we have some really good players, but lacked sufficent (sp?) coaching to take it the step farther.

But 1 thing is for sure....

We will have allot of answers about our personnel after next season because we cannot blame the coaching staff anymore. So it is time for all of the Texan players to put up or shut up, LOL.....

Long live the Texans.........

Fan forever......
Old 02-24-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Bad coaching can mess up your season....... no doubt about that. 2-14...... the players had to have something to do with that for sure... from top to bottom.

There is however one player who had his hands on the ball after every snap.... he's the one who is supposed to make everyone on the team look better, but he has a hard time making himself look adequate.

I believe there are two types of quarterbacks in this league.

The "Don't Mess it Up" quarterbacks........ you can win some games with these guys on our team. The rest of your team, defense especially, will have to play big...... but hey, they're getting paid too.

The " Field General" type..... these guys play at another level.... they make you want to play better..... they make your job easier, wether you're a wide reciever, a running back, or an offensive lineman. They lead you to were you want to go.
Old 02-24-2006   #3
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i dont they we were near as bad as we played last season ! it just our coaches didnt give us the chance to win.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #4
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Bad coaching can mess up your season....... no doubt about that. 2-14...... the players had to have something to do with that for sure... from top to bottom.

There is however one player who had his hands on the ball after every snap.... he's the one who is supposed to make everyone on the team look better, but he has a hard time making himself look adequate.

The "Don't Mess it Up" quarterbacks........ you can win some games with these guys on our team. The rest of your team, defense especially, will have to play big...... but hey, they're getting paid too.

The " Field General" type..... these guys play at another level.... they make you want to play better..... they make your job easier, wether you're a wide reciever, a running back, or an offensive lineman. They lead you to were you want to go.
Get off the gas man, you really think Carr is that messed up. You think those games near the end of the season where he called the plays at the line and moved them up and down the field were flukes. You think he didn't read the defense on those occassions and make right decisions. I can agree Carr can improve and he isn't the best QB in the league but to blame the guy the way you just did is warped and twisted. Ok look at Brady what makes you think he's considered a great QB is it really his talent or those surrounding him. You can't answer that because you can't separate where he shines and where the team shines, it's a team sport and if you say one person makes the difference it's the coach and that problem has already been solved.(or at least dealt with) Two types of quarterbacks my ***, point out to me what quarterbacks just get by with that don't mess up idea of yours.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #5
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Get off the gas man, you really think Carr is that messed up. You think those games near the end of the season where he called the plays at the line and moved them up and down the field were flukes. You think he didn't read the defense on those occassions and make right decisions. I can agree Carr can improve and he isn't the best QB in the league but to blame the guy the way you just did is warped and twisted. Ok look at Brady what makes you think he's considered a great QB is it really his talent or those surrounding him. You can't answer that because you can't separate where he shines and where the team shines, it's a team sport and if you say one person makes the difference it's the coach and that problem has already been solved.(or at least dealt with) Two types of quarterbacks my ***, point out to me what quarterbacks just get by with that don't mess up idea of yours.

Kyle Boller

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #6
C-Note
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to C-Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
[/b]

Kyle Boller
That is the perfect answer....

Kyle is my boy though!
C-Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #7
TitansGiantsBears
Rookie

Quote:
Me too!

You have those who sit behind great offensive lines and have time to make adequate decisions. These guys usually play in Pro Bowls and the playoffs. And every year one of them wins the Super Bowl.

Then you have the guys who are forced to run for their lives because protection breaks down on every other play. The game doesn't slow down for them the way it does for the guys in the group above. They improve but the hard work is offset by being hit eight or ten times per game and laying on your back another four or five. (Or more).

Right now your team has the latter. Carr will be an excellent QB in this league. He has the talent, the skills, and has proven he's tough both physically and mentally. Our division is blessed to have two great young QBs in Carr and Leftwich. I love watching both of these guys play. Even when they kill us with a play, I respect their talents.

Even the league's top QB's have problems when someone is in their face every play. Look at Manning. Look at what Seattle did to an on fire Delhomme. If the defense has the opportunity to dictate to the offense, the QB looks bad.

Your team's troubles aren't at QB.
TitansGiantsBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2006   #8
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Two types of quarterbacks my ***, point out to me what quarterbacks just get by with that don't mess up idea of yours.
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Mark Rypien
all won SB's, only one a piece

On the other hand there's:
Favre
Montana
Brady
Aikman
Elway
S. Young
Simms
all field generals with SB's as well as most of them have mutiple SB trips and multiple SB wins.

Over the past 15-18 years, the odds of a team with a "Field General Type" are more likely to get to a SB as well as win it.

The only odd men out is:
Warner who IMO was neither a field general type nor a don't mess up kinda guy.
and
Ben R-Berger who I haven't quite figured out if he's a true leader or just a good player on a great team.

Question is, can Carr be like any of these guys? Can we develope a D that was as good as the Bucs D or even the Ravens D. That was what got those teams to the SB as well as win it.
Or
Can Carr be like the "Field Generals"?
Or Can Carr be like the odd men out.

I just don't see it. As a matter of fact the only comparisons I'm coming up with are those of the SB losing QB's:
Hasslebeck
Kerry Collins
Drew 'The Statue" Bledsoe with wheels.
Old 02-25-2006   #9
sax_49
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
I mean, if we didn't draft 1 single person this year and played all the starters from last year, it is my honest opinion that with the coaching staff that has been hired now, they would do much, much better. So to me, I personally think we are going to be in a great situation next year. No, I don't think we are going super bowl or anything like that, but I do see us being a contender and a team to be reckoned with. I am still confident that we have some really good players, but lacked sufficent (sp?) coaching to take it the step farther.

We will have allot of answers about our personnel after next season because we cannot blame the coaching staff anymore. So it is time for all of the Texan players to put up or shut up, LOL.....

Fan forever......
I have to agree with you on this post. This coaching staff will make a difference. Rod Smith stated that Kubiak put his players in position to succeed. He said Kubiak figured out what a players strengths and weaknesses were and used them accordingly. IMO the last coaching staff had lost the players after a couple of games last year.
sax_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #10
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

What would you consider this quarterback to be?

Pct Yards TD Int Rating
61.3 3881 20 29 70.9

This looks like a don't mess up kind of guy right?

WRONG!!! This is Brett "3-time MVP" Favre. Who still is one of my top five QB's in the NFL.

Green Bay injuries at RB, TE, and a shuffled OL. Does this sound familiar?
Old 02-25-2006   #11
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 15335 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing I don't see from Carr is the confidence to stand in the pocket(when he has time) and make the throw. Look at how Brady and even Brunell almost look like a baseball pitcher sometimes when they throw the ball. The confidence to expose their bodies like that when 5 or 6 250-300lb guys are all coming for you.
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #12
Spoda
Veteran

Quote:

VY VY VY VY VY VY...please make him stop!!
Old 02-25-2006   #13
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

The Texans are lacking in talent and leadership in many key areas -- the new coaching staff is a great start, but we still have serious holes to fill.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

poor coaching alone isnt going to get you 4 consecutive losing seasons with last year being 2-14. we have some talent, but not nearly enough. the loss of aaron glenn & jamie sharper hurt our defense significantly, and adding riley into what was a weakness, turned the left side into a black hole. we started phillip buchannon and several late round picks in the backfield ... enough said. bruener was supposed to be a backup and used primarily as a blocker, but ended up being our only tight end. pitts, weigert, and mckinney have been together 4 years, that's plenty of time to "gel" and yet they havent so it becomes a talent issue.

i do think coaching can get a lot more out of the guys that we have, but coaching alone isnt going to turn what we have now around. especially since we dont even know who kubiak plans on keeping.
Old 02-25-2006   #15
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Very well said...I beleive half of our crappy season was based on our bad coaching...However the team seemed to have give up also making it even harder for us to win...I think this season will prove whether its our coaching or our players...I beleive and hope it was just the poor coaching.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #16
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

WOW...Wonder who your "Field General type" is? Let me make a wild *** guess.

Didn't take long to turn this thread into a VY thread did it?

FYI..VY and his agent are doing just fine promoting him without any help from MB posters. :brickwall

I don't clik on any posts that I even remotely think VY is going to be discussed, but the VY lovers still manage to turn almost every post that directon.

Geezz, give it a break!

Lets discuss our second round pick.

Who is your favorite MLB or Tight End that didn't go to UT?

Old 02-25-2006   #17
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

we need help on defense, plain and simple....it's atrocious, zero playmaking LBs
Old 02-25-2006   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan

Fan forever......
I'll bring this topic back to what it was meant for. Make another thread if you guys want to argue all about Carr.

I wish I could share your optimism on this one HomeBred. If we had the exact same team, I think at most we would win 6 games. Now that is improved from 2-14, but there's too many holes on this team. Here's a few

Wide Reciever: Andre Johnson and...that's it. Mathis isn't there yet, don't know if he ever will be, but he has to speed to be a playmaker. Bradford was, well, Bradford. He's shown us why he was never anything more than the 3rd reciever in Green Bay. Gaffney could be a pretty decent 3rd reciever, but he's not a #2 guy. Armstrong could catch everything, I'm not sure about his speed. The Texans should have put him in there more often though, it's not like we could have done much worse with him in there.

Tight End: Not since Billy Miller that first year have we had a decent tight end. Not one. Marcellus Rivers didn't exactly light the world on fire. Mark Bruehner is more of a blocking TE, but that sure seemed to help Carr a lot...

Offensive Line: Victor Riley, Fred Weary, and some guy named Todd Washington have all started on the offensive line for the Texans at some point in time. Enough said.

Cornerback: Phillip Buchanan, the not-so mirror image of Deion Sanders, played awful every game he was in last season. His best play against the Browns was saving the TD pass. He's lucky he has a 30 inch vertical leap. Demarcus Faggins was probably a little better, but he played like a bad player on a bad defense. At least we have one good player here in Dunta Robinson though.

You could probably name a couple of other weaknesses in almost every other position if you wanted, but those are some of the glaring one's IMO. I don't think we would be much better if we didn't improve at least a couple of those positions in the offseason.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #19
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

the thing that worries me is that we have no proof our players will respond any better to this coach then the last one.....all we can do is wait and hope

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #20
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
the thing that worries me is that we have no proof our players will respond any better to this coach then the last one.....all we can do is wait and hope

The good thing about what you just said is that we can replace the players that don't respond with players that will. IMO there are a few that need to be replaced.
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read