Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-24-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Young falling. Texans trade #1.

What I get from people inside the club is that everything's going our way. VY is falling like a stone and they expect it to carry right on to draft day. We're going to wheel and deal, drop out of #1 and then again down to 8-10. Young will be there and we take him.

The idea is if he falls as they expect we get Young for future AND keep and rehabilitate Carr for present and future trade AND get extra day 1 picks.

Best of all worlds. We so happy.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #2
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Anything is possible. If we traded back twice, there will probably be a bunch of people having Heart Attacks if we did that.
Old 02-24-2006   #3
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
What I get from people inside the club is that everything's going our way. VY is falling like a stone and they expect it to carry right on to draft day. We're going to wheel and deal, drop out of #1 and then again down to 8-10. Young will be there and we take him.

The idea is if he falls as they expect we get Young for future AND keep and rehabilitate Carr for present and future trade AND get extra day 1 picks.

Best of all worlds. We so happy.

goodie! we get to trust one of the highest top ended drafts in history to charlie casserly's wheeling and dealing. I would rather just pick one and be done with it.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

No way that happens if they trade down to 4 and Reggie or D'Brick are still there, one of them is going to be a Texan. You don't pass on Reggie Bush twice, and if he is gone then you have your franchise LT for the next decade.

Keep dreaming, because thats the only place that scenario will happen.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

That would be a terrible scenario. We would have nothing to show for our number one pick for a couple years, because he would be toting around a clipboard. Your starting QB would be even more screwed up in the head because he would always be looking over his shoulder. Any sign of struggles and you know he would be getting booed, everybody yelling for VY. Not the ideal environment to help this guy grow, and thats what you want if you indeed want to enhance his trade value. That plan just plain stinks.
jaayteetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #6
Htown34s
Veteran

I'm just wondering why Young is in a free fall when the combine interviews and his pro day haven't happened yet.
Old 02-24-2006   #7
SESupergenius

So let me get this straight, we are glad that top picks stock is dropping because we won't listen to offers for the #1? If a team is interested in Young then they have no need to trade up if he is project to fall down. Thus we have no trade partners.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2006   #8
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, but I've heard the same thing. Sporting News has him dropping all the way down to 10 to the Cardinals.

They did mention the college athlete challenge last week that was on ESPN as being a bad thing for him to have participated in because he was not impressive.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #9
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
So let me get this straight, we are glad that top picks stock is dropping because we won't listen to offers for the #1? If a team is interested in Young then they have no need to trade up if he is project to fall down. Thus we have no trade partners.

No, Reggie Bush is who you are trading to another team. Having Young drop would allow us to do that and STILL get the guy we want.

Although, I agree. Let's not screw around. Pick Bush and be done with it.
Old 02-24-2006   #10
Frills
Veteran

His stock will fall until his pro day.

His interviews will be rated sub par, the QB is the face of the franchise, and teams picking high will want to draft a player they can have the local media and fans put some faith in. VY needs a huge performance to compensate for his public speaking, as the Rose Bowl performance drifts into the past, and the skills challenge and decisions of late filter in, he's going to drop.

Then his proday will make or break him by possibly fading the memories of his interviews and decisions at the combine.

IMHO he needs a huge proday in order to get back into the top 5.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Again, we don't want Vince Young. If we did, we wouldn't have given David Carr a 3 year extension. We would have franchised him, transitioned him, or given him a 2 year extension.

If we do trade down from 1 to 3 or 4 and Reggie Bush or D'Brick is there, we are going to take one of them. We aren't going to trade down again and hope that the player that we want is at 8 or 9. If we traded down a second time to 8, what is stopping the Niners from trading their pick (which they want to do) to the Dolphins, Cardinals, or Lions, who would love to have a franchise QB of the future?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #12
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Cool

I doubt that Vince will drop that far, ya rumors are rumors, but when it all of this goes down, the texans will have drafted Reggie Bush, and people are talking about D'Brickshaw Ferguson being our guy.Thats not right either because we could just sign Mike Williams out of Buffalo, and take a OL in the draft like some williams guy out of VT. He did 35 reps of 225, at the combine, while the person before him only did 29.

So we keep David Carr.
We get Reggie Bush( everyone said he was 6'0 hes only 5'10)
We pass on D'Brick and get Mike Williams or maybe Eslinger out of Minn.
Also the 2nd rounder out of VT.( OL)
Thats how the Texans Roll
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #13
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
No, Reggie Bush is who you are trading to another team. Having Young drop would allow us to do that and STILL get the guy we want.

Although, I agree. Let's not screw around. Pick Bush and be done with it.
Yes Bush is who we want, but we want Youngs stock to rise so that we can trade to a team that really wants him, and we can trade down and still get Bush. If Young falls we have no trading partners other than some team wanting Lienart. If Bush is our guy we aren't going to trade to someone that wants him. Call me crazy.
Old 02-24-2006   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

vince young will be there for arizona at #10
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #15
Jerry
Veteran

So who are these "people inside the club" that you are getting information from? I think Cutler is rising while VY is staying put. If he puts up great pro day #'s he will likely "rise" back up. Of course, I don't want the Texans picking him, and I certainly don't want Casserly trying to be cute and pick him up at #8 or 10 with the off chance that we might not get him.

As for Mike Williams, he's too big to fit into the zone-blocking scheme, and how is a guy who became a backup for the Bills suddenly going to solve our offensive line problem? And the only Williams from VT is a cornerback.
Old 02-24-2006   #16
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

just look for an offensive lineman out of vt entering the draft

he did more reps of 225 then any other OL in the draft.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #17
swisher
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
vince young will be there for arizona at #10

How crazy would that be? After all this to see Young drop that far down.
Old 02-24-2006   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown34s
I'm just wondering why Young is in a free fall when the combine interviews and his pro day haven't happened yet.
They had a very long discussion about the collective bargining agreement last night on Total Access. If ya hear that Upshaw has left Indi friday without a deal, kiss '07 goodbye. A.J. is the expert on all this capology stuff. Doesn't surprise me on VY fallin. Lot of money tied up into maybe. JMHO.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
So who are these "people inside the club" that you are getting information from? I think Cutler is rising while VY is staying put. If he puts up great pro day #'s he will likely "rise" back up. Of course, I don't want the Texans picking him, and I certainly don't want Casserly trying to be cute and pick him up at #8 or 10 with the off chance that we might not get him.

As for Mike Williams, he's too big to fit into the zone-blocking scheme, and how is a guy who became a backup for the Bills suddenly going to solve our offensive line problem? And the only Williams from VT is a cornerback.
Agreed: Gil Brant doesn't even have VY in the top five. Hmmmmm.....
I liked Willams when he came out. He was very good blocking in space at Texas. Stiff is a bit harsh. Would like the them to give him a look .this summer @ the vet minimum. Couldn't hurt.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
How crazy would that be? After all this to see Young drop that far down.
could be there for miami at 16, although i wouldn't be surprised to see the rams take him. my three most likely teams for young to go:

1: arizona
2: st. louis
3: baltimore
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read