Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Young falling. Texans trade #1.

Nighthawk

Rookie
What I get from people inside the club is that everything's going our way. VY is falling like a stone and they expect it to carry right on to draft day. We're going to wheel and deal, drop out of #1 and then again down to 8-10. Young will be there and we take him.

The idea is if he falls as they expect we get Young for future AND keep and rehabilitate Carr for present and future trade AND get extra day 1 picks.

Best of all worlds. We so happy.

Anything is possible. If we traded back twice, there will probably be a bunch of people having Heart Attacks if we did that.

Nighthawk said:
What I get from people inside the club is that everything's going our way. VY is falling like a stone and they expect it to carry right on to draft day. We're going to wheel and deal, drop out of #1 and then again down to 8-10. Young will be there and we take him.

The idea is if he falls as they expect we get Young for future AND keep and rehabilitate Carr for present and future trade AND get extra day 1 picks.

Best of all worlds. We so happy.

goodie! we get to trust one of the highest top ended drafts in history to charlie casserly's wheeling and dealing. I would rather just pick one and be done with it.

No way that happens if they trade down to 4 and Reggie or D'Brick are still there, one of them is going to be a Texan. You don't pass on Reggie Bush twice, and if he is gone then you have your franchise LT for the next decade.

Keep dreaming, because thats the only place that scenario will happen.

That would be a terrible scenario. We would have nothing to show for our number one pick for a couple years, because he would be toting around a clipboard. Your starting QB would be even more screwed up in the head because he would always be looking over his shoulder. Any sign of struggles and you know he would be getting booed, everybody yelling for VY. Not the ideal environment to help this guy grow, and thats what you want if you indeed want to enhance his trade value. That plan just plain stinks.

I'm just wondering why Young is in a free fall when the combine interviews and his pro day haven't happened yet.

So let me get this straight, we are glad that top picks stock is dropping because we won't listen to offers for the #1? If a team is interested in Young then they have no need to trade up if he is project to fall down. Thus we have no trade partners.

I don't know, but I've heard the same thing. Sporting News has him dropping all the way down to 10 to the Cardinals.

They did mention the college athlete challenge last week that was on ESPN as being a bad thing for him to have participated in because he was not impressive.

SESupergenius said:
So let me get this straight, we are glad that top picks stock is dropping because we won't listen to offers for the #1? If a team is interested in Young then they have no need to trade up if he is project to fall down. Thus we have no trade partners.

No, Reggie Bush is who you are trading to another team. Having Young drop would allow us to do that and STILL get the guy we want.

Although, I agree. Let's not screw around. Pick Bush and be done with it.

His stock will fall until his pro day.

His interviews will be rated sub par, the QB is the face of the franchise, and teams picking high will want to draft a player they can have the local media and fans put some faith in. VY needs a huge performance to compensate for his public speaking, as the Rose Bowl performance drifts into the past, and the skills challenge and decisions of late filter in, he's going to drop.

Then his proday will make or break him by possibly fading the memories of his interviews and decisions at the combine.

IMHO he needs a huge proday in order to get back into the top 5.

Again, we don't want Vince Young. If we did, we wouldn't have given David Carr a 3 year extension. We would have franchised him, transitioned him, or given him a 2 year extension.

If we do trade down from 1 to 3 or 4 and Reggie Bush or D'Brick is there, we are going to take one of them. We aren't going to trade down again and hope that the player that we want is at 8 or 9. If we traded down a second time to 8, what is stopping the Niners from trading their pick (which they want to do) to the Dolphins, Cardinals, or Lions, who would love to have a franchise QB of the future?

I doubt that Vince will drop that far, ya rumors are rumors, but when it all of this goes down, the texans will have drafted Reggie Bush, and people are talking about D'Brickshaw Ferguson being our guy.Thats not right either because we could just sign Mike Williams out of Buffalo, and take a OL in the draft like some williams guy out of VT. He did 35 reps of 225, at the combine, while the person before him only did 29.

So we keep David Carr.
We get Reggie Bush( everyone said he was 6'0 hes only 5'10)
We pass on D'Brick and get Mike Williams or maybe Eslinger out of Minn.
Also the 2nd rounder out of VT.( OL)
Thats how the Texans Roll:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

swisher said:
No, Reggie Bush is who you are trading to another team. Having Young drop would allow us to do that and STILL get the guy we want.

Although, I agree. Let's not screw around. Pick Bush and be done with it.
Yes Bush is who we want, but we want Youngs stock to rise so that we can trade to a team that really wants him, and we can trade down and still get Bush. If Young falls we have no trading partners other than some team wanting Lienart. If Bush is our guy we aren't going to trade to someone that wants him. Call me crazy.

So who are these "people inside the club" that you are getting information from? I think Cutler is rising while VY is staying put. If he puts up great pro day #'s he will likely "rise" back up. Of course, I don't want the Texans picking him, and I certainly don't want Casserly trying to be cute and pick him up at #8 or 10 with the off chance that we might not get him.

As for Mike Williams, he's too big to fit into the zone-blocking scheme, and how is a guy who became a backup for the Bills suddenly going to solve our offensive line problem? And the only Williams from VT is a cornerback.

Htown34s said:
I'm just wondering why Young is in a free fall when the combine interviews and his pro day haven't happened yet.

They had a very long discussion about the collective bargining agreement last night on Total Access. If ya hear that Upshaw has left Indi friday without a deal, kiss '07 goodbye. A.J. is the expert on all this capology stuff. Doesn't surprise me on VY fallin. Lot of money tied up into maybe. JMHO.

Jerry said:
So who are these "people inside the club" that you are getting information from? I think Cutler is rising while VY is staying put. If he puts up great pro day #'s he will likely "rise" back up. Of course, I don't want the Texans picking him, and I certainly don't want Casserly trying to be cute and pick him up at #8 or 10 with the off chance that we might not get him.

As for Mike Williams, he's too big to fit into the zone-blocking scheme, and how is a guy who became a backup for the Bills suddenly going to solve our offensive line problem? And the only Williams from VT is a cornerback.

Agreed: Gil Brant doesn't even have VY in the top five. Hmmmmm.....
I liked Willams when he came out. He was very good blocking in space at Texas. Stiff is a bit harsh. Would like the them to give him a look .this summer @ the vet minimum. Couldn't hurt.

swisher said:
How crazy would that be? After all this to see Young drop that far down.
could be there for miami at 16, although i wouldn't be surprised to see the rams take him. my three most likely teams for young to go:

1: arizona
2: st. louis
3: baltimore

Htown34s said:

NFL Sirius Radio is at the combine, and they are saying that the word they get from numerous NFL GMs, is that Young is hurting himself by not throwing at the combine. The say his agent has only represented one other player, and is trying to play copycat with other agents who advise their players not to participate in the combine. They say that Young is different from Leinart, in that they have plenty of film of Leinart taking snaps from center, dropping back into various 3,5, and 7 step drops, and throwing various kinds of routes.
But these GMs, despite the Rose Bowl performance, still have questions about his passing. They say he's getting very bad advice from his agent.

Bad advice from an agent?

Ricky Williams came out with a bad agent

Cedric Benson was advised to hold out...bad

VY bad agent? Fits the bill

Marcus said:
NFL Sirius Radio is at the combine, and they are saying that the word they get from numerous NFL GMs, is that Young is hurting himself by not throwing at the combine.

I don't get this, because there are several players like Young that are only working out on their pro-day. He will throw there, so why would GM's be miffed about that. Kind of strange.

I think we're just seeing the usual tearing down of any player who teams are interested in with the hopes that they talk down about him enough to make him drop to their slot. It happens every year.

Htown34s said:
I don't get this, because there are several players like Young that are only working out on their pro-day. He will throw there, so why would GM's be miffed about that. Kind of strange.

The only difference is poor planning by Young's team. He came out way in advance of the combine and declared he would throw at the combine because he knew teams had questions about his throwing and he wanted to dispell any doubts. His handlers received criticism for letting him throw and he hired a throwing coach and now has decided not to throw. It's a form over substance thing, but he did receive bad advice.

As much as I like hearing this news, it still seems a little far fetched. I like the idea of taking Young and his stock may be falling. But, all we have been hearing for weeks now is Bush, Bush, and Bush. Also, even if Young falls to no. 10, that is still allot of money tied up in quarterbacks when we have a allot of needs.

If the Texans take Young, they are taking a big risk betting that David is going to get better. Competition at QB is a good thing, but a QB controversy is not. Its going to be hard to build up David Carr's confidence with the crowd booing him every time he messes up.

Wharton said:
As much as I like hearing this news, it still seems a little far fetched. I like the idea of taking Young and his stock may be falling. But, all we have been hearing for weeks now is Bush, Bush, and Bush. Also, even if Young falls to no. 10, that is still allot of money tied up in quarterbacks when we have a allot of needs.

If the Texans take Young, they are taking a big risk betting that David is going to get better. Competition at QB is a good thing, but a QB controversy is not. Its going to be hard to build up David Carr's confidence with the crowd booing him every time he messes up.
They're gonna boo him when he messes up anyways.

Htown34s said:

Many posters mention Youngs friendship with Steve McNair.
If this is true then McNair should have encouraged Young to participate in the combine. McNair was in pretty much the same situation as Young coming out of college. Lots of doubt about his ability to succeed in the NFL.

From the NFL.com site: (about McNair attending the combine.)

Vic Carucci

"Then there was Steve McNair. He already was a highly regarded quarterback when he arrived here, and he could have chosen to put off working out until scouts and coaches came to visit him at Alcorn State. But McNair decided to participate in throwing drills, and blew away talent-evaluators with the extremely strong arm that launched a long and successful career."

VY should have followed McNairs lead.

I am not anti-Young as much as I am pro Bush. I wish VY success wherever he goes, just not with/against our Texans.

:coffee:

DominickDavisFan76 said:
I doubt that Vince will drop that far, ya rumors are rumors, but when it all of this goes down, the texans will have drafted Reggie Bush, and people are talking about D'Brickshaw Ferguson being our guy.Thats not right either because we could just sign Mike Williams out of Buffalo, and take a OL in the draft like some williams guy out of VT. He did 35 reps of 225, at the combine, while the person before him only did 29.

So we keep David Carr.
We get Reggie Bush( everyone said he was 6'0 hes only 5'10)
We pass on D'Brick and get Mike Williams or maybe Eslinger out of Minn.
Also the 2nd rounder out of VT.( OL)
Thats how the Texans Roll:cool: :cool: :cool:

What?

Bush came in at 5'11 7/8 and 201 lbs

Mike Williams is not anywhere close to the kind of linemen we need, where as D'brick is. Mike Williams was regulated to back up duty on another bad team.

My current comparison = Victor Riley

Then you want us to draft a OL that you have no information on other than he was the strongest guy there on this given day? Big deal, he can lift a lot. Look at his tapes, he is very stiff, does not move well laterally, and is slow getting his hands up and keeping them inside his body. He is also not a 2nd round talent.

O, and Vince could easily drop that far. If the Titans go D'brick which I still think they will if we don't, then who else is going to pick him before Arizona?

NY...no, not likely. They do not want a QB project that will tie up cap room while sitting for 2 years. If NY goes QB, they will trade up for Lienhert (most likely if they trade up).

GB...they drafted Arron Rodgers last year in the first round, and a lot of people rated him higher than Smith, including me.

That post made very little sense, with very little research into your own team. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but thats how I roll.:)

YoungTexanFan said:
What?

Bush came in at 5'11 7/8 and 201 lbs
I agree with most of your post but I think Bush actually came in at 5'10 7/8 and 201 pounds. (Which is good news if you like Reggie Bush.)

LBC_Justin said:
I agree with most of your post but I think Bush actually came in at 5'10 7/8 and 201 pounds. (Which is good news if you like Reggie Bush.)

ehh, I can be wrong I guess.

Why would that be good news, not that I like him.

O, and thanks for the underlying support and vote of confidence. :yahoo:

YoungTexanFan said:
ehh, I can be wrong I guess.

Why would that be good news, not that I like him.

O, and thanks for the underlying support and vote of confidence. :yahoo:
If he is 5-11 and not 6-0 than that means he has a more compact frame and that the 201 pounds is more muscle than height.

Not that it matters because we have all seen his game film. He is a baller, but this helps support that fact that he CAN be an everydown back and that he can run between the tackles.

Not that an inch makes that much of a difference but it puts him more at the height of the better running backs. Makes him more powerful and less lankey.

LBC_Justin said:
If he is 5-11 and not 6-0 than that means he has a more compact frame and that the 201 pounds is more muscle than height.

Not that it matters because we have all seen his game film. He is a baller, but this helps support that fact that he CAN be an everydown back and that he can run between the tackles.

Nope I do not agree with this. We'll see. He's gonna sell a lot of tickets whereever he goes, no doubt. But can the guy block NFL caliber rushers ? 201 is still 201. Ten times a game between the tackels is a big reach. Every down back, I don't know. Blitz pick up gotta have it in the NFL. Hope someone loves him as much as you do. He's perfect for us another warm body to add to Casserly's casualties.

Bush is actually excellent at picking up the blitz and is very strong for his size. He will have no trouble playing for us and being successful next year.

tulexan said:
Bush is actually excellent at picking up the blitz and is very strong for his size. He will have no trouble playing for us and being successful next year.

That is a lot of generialzations and assumptions. While he may be strong for his size, its still not very much. Predicting if someone will have trouble and asking a rookie to be considered "sucessful" next year is quite a stretch.

tulexan said:

picking up the blitz is certainly something at which he'll need to be proficient, but if he's asked to do it more than a couple of times a game, he's being used incorrectly, IMO

If Bush isn't successful it will be due to people having way too high of expectations of him.

Like Yao.

tulexan said:
If Bush isn't successful it will be due to people having way too high of expectations of him.

Like Yao.

THATS ridiculous....if Bush isnt successfull, it will be due to the fact that he didnt have what it takes to succeed in the nfl....I dont have high expectations for him, i've said numerous times i expect him to bust out of the league in 3 years.

Back