Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-24-2006   #1
BMT Texan
Rookie

Default Wants and Needs

As much as i would love to see Reggie or Vince in a Texans uniform, the fact is our line sucks... From what I'm hearing the other linemen in the the draft aren't as impressive as once thought, so how could we not get D'brickasaw. This guy is a beast and would the beginning of an brickwall line.

We already have good rbs in DD & VM, so trading down a few spots in order to get D'Brick & more picks just makes good sence. Plus if all works right
Adrien Peterson will come out next year, and we would be in position to get him with the jets pick.

For the record I would love to have Vince, but is that what we really need?No thats what most of us want, David if protected I feel can do a good job IMO. What we need to do is think about what we need ,not what we want
BMT Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #2
BMT Texan
Rookie

I see that reailty stings and no one wants to face the truth
Old 02-24-2006   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT Texan
or you spoke the truth and what i was exactly thinking. As much as people DONT want to admit it, OL is our biggest need and has been while RB is a want as well as QB.
Old 02-24-2006   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

just another positive for D'brick fans if they missed it- he weighed in at 312 at the combine
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #5
dcarey20
Veteran

Quote:
As much as i would love to see Reggie or Vince in a Texans uniform, the fact is our line sucks... From what I'm hearing the other linemen in the the draft aren't as impressive as once thought, so how could we not get D'brickasaw. This guy is a beast and would the beginning of an brickwall line.

We already have good rbs in DD & VM, so trading down a few spots in order to get D'Brick & more picks just makes good sence. Plus if all works right
Adrien Peterson will come out next year, and we would be in position to get him with the jets pick.

For the record I would love to have Vince, but is that what we really need?No thats what most of us want, David if protected I feel can do a good job IMO. What we need to do is think about what we need ,not what we want
thank you for summarizing what everyone has been saying for the past month and a half
dcarey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #6
BMT Texan
Rookie

:brickwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20
thank you for summarizing what everyone has been saying for the past month and a half
:brickwall

The point is my freind, that if we lose focus of what we need in order to satisfy our wish list desires we'll be stuck with star players tring to make on there own, instead of having soild unit of players making it happen together.
Old 02-24-2006   #7
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Here goes some truths for you. A) a trade with New York is not really something that would be a reality, they have cap problems and moving up in the draft would further strain their cash. They also have need at QB and RB position so whoever fell to them they would be happy with. Also there is no guarantee that they will suck next yr. so we might not even be in a position to get Peterson, who by the way might not even decide to come out next yr. B) While D'brick is seen as a can't miss thing so were Gallery and that guy that was just cut from the Bills. Nothing against D'brick, but he is not the answer and, at that position in the draft, also carries a risk factor.

In my opinion coaching had alot to do with our line's failure, am I saying that coaching alone will fix all our problems, no. However coaching will go along way in improvement as far as schemes and technique. While getting D'brick would be nice the line will improve without his presence as a unit. We may not have a SB type line right now, but its a good starting point.

I totally don't agree with you on our running back assessment. You say we are set I think you should look again. Wells is an FA and if we let him go that would be a mistake because he wants to be here and is the 2nd best back we have. Hollings has proven to be injury prone and the chances of him making an impact are slim. So if we don't re-sign Wells we only have two and a half backs. Ok, now let's look at those backs. DD has done a great job, but carrying the load has put alot of wear and tear on his body so his health throughout the season is not guaranteed. Matter of fact he hasn't played the full season in a few yrs. So more than likely he won't make it through next season. I'm hoping this is not the case, but I'm being realistic. Even without health issues he would have to work in tandem with another RB. Morrency, now I don't know why everybody is so high on this guy, he broke a touchdown and almost blew it at the same time by his actions. Even during that run you have to give the line credit for making it possible. Now aside from that have you seen the guy run, I don't care who you are but you gotta see this guy is a project. He looses his footing too much and his vision needs to go to the optometrist. This guy might turn out to be good, but he'll never be better than DD and does not provide a change of pace, so the opposing Defenses only have to plan for DD and know that once they got him covered they got Morrency covered. I could go on breaking down Morrency, but I'll leave you with this thought. You want competitive players on the team who want to rise to the challenge. During an interview a while back Morrency stated that if the Texans selected Bush he would ask for a trade. To me that is the biggest knock on this guy, he isn't a competitor at heart.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2006   #8
BMT Texan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Here goes some truths for you. A) a trade with New York is not really something that would be a reality, they have cap problems and moving up in the draft would further strain their cash. They also have need at QB and RB position so whoever fell to them they would be happy with. Also there is no guarantee that they will suck next yr. so we might not even be in a position to get Peterson, who by the way might not even decide to come out next yr. B) While D'brick is seen as a can't miss thing so were Gallery and that guy that was just cut from the Bills. Nothing against D'brick, but he is not the answer and, at that position in the draft, also carries a risk factor.

In my opinion coaching had alot to do with our line's failure, am I saying that coaching alone will fix all our problems, no. However coaching will go along way in improvement as far as schemes and technique. While getting D'brick would be nice the line will improve without his presence as a unit. We may not have a SB type line right now, but its a good starting point.

I totally don't agree with you on our running back assessment. You say we are set I think you should look again. Wells is an FA and if we let him go that would be a mistake because he wants to be here and is the 2nd best back we have. Hollings has proven to be injury prone and the chances of him making an impact are slim. So if we don't re-sign Wells we only have two and a half backs. Ok, now let's look at those backs. DD has done a great job, but carrying the load has put alot of wear and tear on his body so his health throughout the season is not guaranteed. Matter of fact he hasn't played the full season in a few yrs. So more than likely he won't make it through next season. I'm hoping this is not the case, but I'm being realistic. Even without health issues he would have to work in tandem with another RB. Morrency, now I don't know why everybody is so high on this guy, he broke a touchdown and almost blew it at the same time by his actions. Even during that run you have to give the line credit for making it possible. Now aside from that have you seen the guy run, I don't care who you are but you gotta see this guy is a project. He looses his footing too much and his vision needs to go to the optometrist. This guy might turn out to be good, but he'll never be better than DD and does not provide a change of pace, so the opposing Defenses only have to plan for DD and know that once they got him covered they got Morrency covered. I could go on breaking down Morrency, but I'll leave you with this thought. You want competitive players on the team who want to rise to the challenge. During an interview a while back Morrency stated that if the Texans selected Bush he would ask for a trade. To me that is the biggest knock on this guy, he isn't a competitor at heart.
Old 02-24-2006   #9
Jerry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
just another positive for D'brick fans if they missed it- he weighed in at 312 at the combine
And he grew an inch from his listed height too (unlike those other shrinking players). He's 6'6".
Old 02-25-2006   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:

A) Not true. They franchised John Abraham and will be shopping for a trade partner. They cut Ty Law and are trying to deal there pro-bowl center. If they trade they would also give up another first day pick, so John Abraham+first day pick(whoever) is less than Reggie at #1. Who cares about Peterson, we dont need him, if we needed a RB we wouldnt be having this Bush descussion, it would be a no doubt pick. If Chad Pennington restructures his contract they dont need a QB, it would just be good to have one being that he is injury prone... But Martin isnt getting any younger.

B)True, but talent is also a concern, so is AGE. Wade, McKinney, and Weigert are getting old. We dont have much talent, we NEED offensive lineman. Our offensive line has bad players just admit it.

Bottom line, Ferguson is probably the second best player in the draft and we NEED him more than anyone
Old 02-25-2006   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dude, IMO you are the one ... this is an old regurgitated opinion... there are a hundred existing threads that cover this topic. Instead of starting new threads about stuff that has been covered here a hundred times or more, respond to those other posts.... they are many and varied...
I don't want you to think your opinion is unwanted here... just reflected in a bunch of existing threads...
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #12
texplayer2
Veteran

None of these guys has played a football game in almost two months. All anyone will be doing here is . All any of us can do is restate our opinion. The combine will give us a better look at 2nd-3rd rnd picks, but as high as we are drafting these guys won't be doing much to impress. (excepting eatting to gain weight what a skill) ( Now that Brick guy growing 1" is interesting, but let me know if he hits 7', now that would be impressive.)
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #13
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Dude, IMO you are the one ... this is an old regurgitated opinion... there are a hundred existing threads that cover this topic. Instead of starting new threads about stuff that has been covered here a hundred times or more, respond to those other posts.... they are many and varied...
I don't want you to think your opinion is unwanted here... just reflected in a bunch of existing threads...
could not have said it better.
Old 02-25-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

what would it take to get a sticky thread with one of those counters that'd be counting down until draft day? you know like the national deficit or the number of whoppers sold??? c'mon mods give us some hope here ....
Old 02-25-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
what would it take to get a sticky thread with one of those counters that'd be counting down until draft day? you know like the national deficit or the number of whoppers sold??? c'mon mods give us some hope here ....
Sorry, but we have officially entered the 4th circle of hell, commonly known as draft season. You can tell when it arrives because everyone breaks out their crystal balls and ouidji boards, straps on a pack-load of certainty and has the urge to fawn over the same 1-3 players endlessly while deriding any competing player or anyone who supports another player.

But hey, at least we have several "coaches" on the MB now to set all the uneducated MB members straight.
Old 02-25-2006   #16
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
A) Not true. They franchised John Abraham and will be shopping for a trade partner. They cut Ty Law and are trying to deal there pro-bowl center. If they trade they would also give up another first day pick, so John Abraham+first day pick(whoever) is less than Reggie at #1. Who cares about Peterson, we dont need him, if we needed a RB we wouldnt be having this Bush descussion, it would be a no doubt pick. If Chad Pennington restructures his contract they dont need a QB, it would just be good to have one being that he is injury prone... But Martin isnt getting any younger.

B)True, but talent is also a concern, so is AGE. Wade, McKinney, and Weigert are getting old. We dont have much talent, we NEED offensive lineman. Our offensive line has bad players just admit it.

Bottom line, Ferguson is probably the second best player in the draft and we NEED him more than anyone
Ok I don't know how the money works for the franchise player, but they need to get rid of some more people be it through trades or through cuts. If they traded with us they would have to pay #1 type money for whatever player they get. More than likely though even that would not be enough to pry the #1 pick from us. So please explain how this trade would really benefit both parties. The jets have a lot of holes to fill now that they made all those cuts and it wouldn't be in their best interest to give up picks that would be cheaper and have a good impact.

I don't care about Peterson, I only made that comment because the guy I was responding to said we should get him next yr. I'm of the opinion that you can't predict what will happen next yr. also I have stated why one more RB would be beneficial for us. Alot of ppl do see it as a no brainer. Also chances are Pennington won't restructure the way they want and he'll be cut to get under the cap. I don't know what will happen, but they do need both positions.

Our line can be dealt with in the draft. Just not with the first pick, if you say trade down there is no guarantee we will land D'brick. So what do you do when he isn't on the boards, you really want to have a Gallery or Williams on the team. I don't think it is smart to waste the first pick when you can deal with those problems further into the draft.

I think it's cute you care about our older guys, but the one that you want to replace there with the 1st pick is the one that made the least difference. Wade is a backup and he's eating up salary cap. I won't admit that our talent sucks until after this season. We had our best rushing season behind a LT who barely saw the field this yr. and we have a player currently at LT who has also proven he can carry the load. On the line tackle is one of our strengths.

Yes, I see your point let's pass up the best talent in the draft so we can pick up the second best. What we really need is Defensive help, unfortunately Williams is also not worth the #1 pick.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #17
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok I don't know how the money works for the franchise player, but they need to get rid of some more people be it through trades or through cuts. If they traded with us they would have to pay #1 type money for whatever player they get. More than likely though even that would not be enough to pry the #1 pick from us. So please explain how this trade would really benefit both parties. The jets have a lot of holes to fill now that they made all those cuts and it wouldn't be in their best interest to give up picks that would be cheaper and have a good impact.

I don't care about Peterson, I only made that comment because the guy I was responding to said we should get him next yr. I'm of the opinion that you can't predict what will happen next yr. also I have stated why one more RB would be beneficial for us. Alot of ppl do see it as a no brainer. Also chances are Pennington won't restructure the way they want and he'll be cut to get under the cap. I don't know what will happen, but they do need both positions.

Our line can be dealt with in the draft. Just not with the first pick, if you say trade down there is no guarantee we will land D'brick. So what do you do when he isn't on the boards, you really want to have a Gallery or Williams on the team. I don't think it is smart to waste the first pick when you can deal with those problems further into the draft.

I think it's cute you care about our older guys, but the one that you want to replace there with the 1st pick is the one that made the least difference. Wade is a backup and he's eating up salary cap. I won't admit that our talent sucks until after this season. We had our best rushing season behind a LT who barely saw the field this yr. and we have a player currently at LT who has also proven he can carry the load. On the line tackle is one of our strengths.

Yes, I see your point let's pass up the best talent in the draft so we can pick up the second best. What we really need is Defensive help, unfortunately Williams is also not worth the #1 pick.

Teams get a different Cap space set aside for draft picks, it called rookie Cap or draft Cap something like that. So dont worry bout the #1 pick cost until next year.

It may not work for both teams. NY Giants gave up a ton for Eli and they still have holes that they could have filled had they not spent so much. But thats the guy they wanted. I still dont think it was a smart move on their point, but they just wanted him that bad. In hindsight, they could have drafted Big Ben and still kept their extra picks, and probably traded down to get him. SO if the Jets want Reggie or Matt that bad, I wont complain.

Yes, Pitts has done a good job a LT but the difference between Pitts and Ferguson, is the best Pitts will ever be is a good LT. Ferguson will be a good LT next year and will be a Frachise LT within 3 years. If we do this, it allows Pitts to move to RT where we would have a good RT. We move Weifert back inside and have a good RG, maybe even try Wade out at LG, but he instantly gives us options because we know that he will be a fixture at LT, that will not be a question.

You are right that Defense is a big need, that is why in the trade we aquire John Abraham, one of the best DEs in the NFL. Not to mention he is only 26. He will help Ferguson get better by going against a great DE, and if Ferguson becomes this Franchise LT he will help Abraham become a better all-around DE.

Now I dont care how it helps the Jets, but thats how it helps us.
Old 02-25-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Teams get a different Cap space set aside for draft picks, it called rookie Cap or draft Cap something like that. So dont worry bout the #1 pick cost until next year.
Yes there is a rookie cap dependent upon the picks a team has, but it is a maximum amount of their total cap they can spend on the rookies, not an amount on top of their regular cap.
Old 02-25-2006   #19
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Yes there is a rookie cap dependent upon the picks a team has, but it is a maximum amount of their total cap they can spend on the rookies, not an amount on top of their regular cap.
I stand corrected.
Old 02-25-2006   #20
BMT Texan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm

Excuse me for just joining this site,not being up on the previous threads that I haven't seen or plan on veiwing. I'll make sure not to voice my opinion in the future, and just mimic what the "popular guys ":are saying.......

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read