Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-18-2004   #21
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Imagine you see a T-shirt on sale for $5, but you don't buy it. The next day, you decide it really was a great T-shirt so you go back to buy it. Unfortunately, now it costs $10. You still thinks it's worth it, so you buy it. The problem is that even though $10 is a fair price for the T-shirt, every time you wear it, you remember you could have bought it for $5.

I choose to think that Jerry Jones will remember he could have had Henson for a fifth round pick instead of having to outbid 30 other teams for his services.
This almost makes sense to me.

But in the 2003 draft (the year Houston drafted Henson), Dallas didn't have a 5th round pick. They used their 4th rounder on Bradie James. Who is turning out to be a great pick that late in the draft. They had 2 6th rounders they could've used on Henson (both came before Houston picked him) but decided to go a different route.

What Dallas spent to get Henson and what they could've spent to get him is irrelevent. If he plays above 3rd round caliber, then he was a steal. The opportunity to have spent something lower (like a 4th, 5th or 6th rounder) only means he would've been a bigger steal.

But I don't completely disagree with your argument. Since I've never been a fan of Q. Carter, I would've been thrilled had Jones taken a chance with one of those 6th rounders on Henson.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I choose to think that Jerry Jones will remember he could have had Henson for a fifth round pick instead of having to outbid 30 other teams for his services.
Right, every team could have taken Henson before the Texans did. But at the time of the '03 draft, Henson was signed to a $18 million baseball contract that barred him from playing football. Plus, Henson had gone on the record numerous times that he was commited to baseball and would not attempt a NFL career. With that information, any team spending a draft choice on Henson would be crazy.

Except Charley Casserly had information on Henson that other teams apparently didn't. After spring training broke in '03, Drew made a detour to the IMG complex before heading to Columbus, Ohio on assignment. While at IMG, Henson was seen working out on the football field with IMG clients including Byron Leftwich. Now why would a baseball player with a $18 million contract develop his football skills in his spare time between spring training & the minor league season? Charley Casserly decided to spend a 6th round pick (he had considered going as high as a 4th) to find out.

Now we know why. But don't hammer Jones for not making a choice based on information he didn't have. I'd even say that one of the reasons Henson ended up in Dallas was because other GMs didn't want to look foolish to the owner by spending a high pick on a player the could have drafted with a mid round choice. Jerry isn't concerned about whether he looks foolish to the owner.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read