Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-23-2006   #1
Angry Texan!!
Rookie

Default 4-3 or 3-4?

only a few teams can pull off the 3-4 well. pitts and ne being some of the very few.

IMO, if we changed to the traditional 4-3, i think we would have a pretty stout front 7. what do you think the texans should run?
Angry Texan!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #2
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Texan!!
only a few teams can pull off the 3-4 well. pitts and ne being some of the very few.

IMO, if we changed to the traditional 4-3, i think we would have a pretty stout front 7. what do you think the texans should run?
Whatever our Defensive coordinator decides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

We really don't have the proper personel for either system right now.

The guys we do have are more experienced in the 4-3 and had their collegiate sucess in that system.
Old 02-24-2006   #4
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 832 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

with the guys we have we should be running the 4 -3. With Smith and TJ as our starting DT's.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #5
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

4-3 because it would be easier for the players to be successful
Old 02-24-2006   #6
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

If the texans can get a good strong side DE and a MLB, I think the texans would have a pretty good defense.
Old 02-24-2006   #7
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Its simple

4-3 we havent tried and it seems our personell fits

3-4 we have tried and have been unsuccesful and I personell still looks out of place for it anyway
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2006   #8
Frills
Veteran

Keep in mind, the way Capers and Fangio ran the 3-4 could be summed up as a piss poor performance.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
We really don't have the proper personel for either system right now.

The guys we do have are more experienced in the 4-3 and had their collegiate sucess in that system.
Everyone but the players from 2 schools had their college success in a 4-3. As for more experience in the NFL in a 4-3 let's see:

Walker--5 years 3-4, 6 years 4-3
Payne--5 years 3-4, 4 years 4-3
Smith--2 years 3-4, 4 years 4-3
Wong--4 years 3-4, 4 years 4-3
Babin--2 years 3-4, 0 years 4-3
Peek--3 years 3-4, 0 years 4-3
Greenwood--1 year 3-4, 4 years 4-3

Total--22 years 3-4, 22 years 4-3. Doesn't seem like a significant factor.
Old 02-24-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I still like the 3-4, I just think it needs to be run realistically, ala Pittsburgh/NE.

Aggressive blitzing, whatever, just as long as we don't keep running that horrid soft cover 2, whatever that zone crap was.
Old 02-24-2006   #11
Frills
Veteran

kinda need to run the craptastic cover 2 when Pburnt is on the roster.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
only a few teams can pull off the 3-4 well.
Maybe its not that, but "only a few teams can screw up the 3-4". And for
the last few years, our Texans seemed to be one of them. Even though Capers is supposed to be a main 3-4 guy, he worked anything but magic here.
Who knows, maybe out new coaching staff will run a consistantly successful D, whether its out of the 3-4, 4-3, or both ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #13
TexHorns
Veteran

I like the 3-4 better but not the way we used it.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHorns
I like the 3-4 better but not the way we used it.
OK, so now we have a new staff, so why throw out the baby with the bathwater?

I know . . the grass is always greener
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I know . . the grass is always greener
No, but sometimes it is taller. Sometimes it is broader. Sometimes it is sweeter. Sometimes it leans to the left. Sometimes it is narrower.

Wait...maybe I lost track of what you were getting at--I think someone over there has a point though. Did I mention I was once a college coach and I own a ouidji board?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read