Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-23-2006   #1
Angry Texan!!
Rookie

Default I'm confused.

im not trying to down reggie bush or anything, but just i don't understand. we're not going to get vince young because they see potential in david carr and they think maybe he'll be good behind a good line so instead they will draft reggie to replace domanick davis who has rushed for 1,000 yards in his first 2 years and 976 this previous year behind a "bad line". why get someone to replace/split time with someone that is already productive even with a weak o-line? i just don't get it

no offense to the carr lovers out there but i can't really see david carr taking the texans or any franchise to the superbowl.....ever. vince young on the other hand..............

Last edited by Angry Texan!!; 02-23-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Angry Texan!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #2
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

You can play two good running backs at the same time in this league. You can't really play two quarterbacks. Also, VY's QB style doesn't have a long history of success in the NFL. Now Reggie's style...(see Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, etc.)
Old 02-23-2006   #3
jjcorvallis
Rookie

Why can't we trade Dacid Carr?
We need to draft Vince.
Reggie Bush might help us win 6 or 7 games but we won't make playoffs. Our O-line won't get fixed in 1 or 2 seasons and David Carr will obviously be a vegetable. And he will be worthless after 2 or 3 more seasons.

Let's draft Vince!!!!
jjcorvallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #4
Mathis13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcorvallis
Why can't we trade Dacid Carr?
We need to draft Vince.
Reggie Bush might help us win 6 or 7 games but we won't make playoffs. Our O-line won't get fixed in 1 or 2 seasons and David Carr will obviously be a vegetable. And he will be worthless after 2 or 3 more seasons.

Let's draft Vince!!!!
No!!! If we trade david carr we're going to kill our cap space. hes got a huge contract.
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #5
Angry Texan!!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
You can play two good running backs at the same time in this league. You can't really play two quarterbacks. Also, VY's QB style doesn't have a long history of success in the NFL. Now Reggie's style...(see Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, etc.)
why is that??? cause their aren't many mobile qb's with superbowl rings?? because mobile qb's can't throw???? that's crap. are you basing this on mike vick? he's lead the falcons to the nfc champion game before.... and the falcons never really even had a superbowl caliber team built around vick. or how about philly? where were they without mcnabb?

we can still win games without carr. we have won games with tony banks in previous years come on.... all im really trying to say is if we really wanted to add another dimension to our offense i think we should get vy instead of reggie.........
Old 02-23-2006   #6
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

My god do you people not realize that there is a difference between run blocking and pass blocking. We have one of the worst pass blocking olines in the history of the nfl while are run blocking is about average. In the modern day nfl 1,000 rushing yards is not that great. DD is between average and above average. DD's biggest probelm is his speed. He cant brake a big run because as soon as he gets past the defenders they catch him from behind.

David Carr is no superstar but neither is DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #7
Angry Texan!!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
My god do you people not realize that there is a difference between run blocking and pass blocking. We have one of the worst pass blocking olines in the history of the nfl while are run blocking is about average. In the modern day nfl 1,000 rushing yards is not that great. DD is between average and above average. DD's biggest probelm is his speed. He cant brake a big run because as soon as he gets past the defenders they catch him from behind.

David Carr is no superstar but neither is DD.

ummmmmmmmm ok...... so vy's speed wouldn't be an asset to the worse pass blocking o line in the history of the nfl?
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2006   #8
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Is that what I said because im pretty sure its not.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 02-23-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

My point was DD didnt have a bad line. Our run blocking is actually pretty good and he still barely gets a thousand hards.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2006   #10
Angry Texan!!
Rookie

Quote:
My point was DD didnt have a bad line. Our run blocking is actually pretty good and he still barely gets a thousand hards.
eh... DD proved himself by rushing 1188 and recieving 588 in 2004. he can play there is no doubt about that. carr has never wowed me ever since he was drafted. yes i know he never had a line but even in his "good" games he never impressed me.
Old 02-23-2006   #11
TMac48
Veteran

Quote:
are you basing this on mike vick?
No, I'm basing it on the history of the National Football League.
Old 02-23-2006   #12
Angry Texan!!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
No, I'm basing it on the history of the National Football League.
steve young maybe? qb's that can run is a new breed... so how can there even really be a history
Old 02-23-2006   #13
TMac48
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Texan!!
steve young maybe? qb's that can run is a new breed... so how can there even really be a history
If you want to compare QB rushing stats, DC is actually fits more into Steve Young's class than VY. VY would belong in the Michael Vick class and last time I checked, Michael Vick wasn't winning any superbowls, or staying healthy.

David Carr - Avg Rushing Attempts Per Season - 53.75
Steve Young - Avg Rushing Attempts Per Season - 48.1
Old 02-23-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I guess people forget that Carr had 3500 yards passing and 300 yards rushing 2 seasons ago.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Texan!!
eh... DD proved himself by rushing 1188 and recieving 588 in 2004. he can play there is no doubt about that. carr has never wowed me ever since he was drafted. yes i know he never had a line but even in his "good" games he never impressed me.
Well David Carr had 3531 passing yards and 299 rushing yards in 2004. DD got a big majority of his recieving yards because Carr didnt have time to through down field so he dumped it to DD. Also could you please tell me when DD has wowed you and just to let you know DD was 11th in the league in rushing yards in 2004. David Carr was 12th in the league in passing yards. Im not trying to convince you that DC is a superstar im trying to show you that DD isnt one.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2006   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I guess people forget that Carr had 3500 yards passing and 300 yards rushing 2 seasons ago.
Woops I guess you beat me to it.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I'm getting so sick and tired of this crap.

When has any team ever had an O-line that finised 16th in rushing, and dead llast in pass protection?? How can you be pretty good at run blocking, but totally suck at pass blocking?? I can understand being pretty good at runblocking, and so-so at pass blocking(but so-so will not get you 68 sacks) I can understand be fair pass blocking, and fair at run blocking(still won't get you 68 sacks). Now if they are fair to poor in both pass & run blocking, then that definitely shows you DD is better than average.

Now let's look at PittsBurgh's O-Line, Philly's, and Atlanta's. Of course they don't suck. but they're not that good. Evidence of that, is that their QBs leave the pocket often. Yeah, maybe the recievers just aren't getting open. Maybe teams like to blitz against them. Point is, you don't hear to much complaining about how their O Line needs a high first round draft pick, a quality FA, and a couple of years to gel. Why?? because they're quarterback get's the job done. People forget about the line breaking down, when plays are made, completions down the field, or first downs to keep drives alive.
Now, on a couple of those teams, the QB makes plays with his arm. Get's the team involved..... make big plays down the field.

We like to think of David Carr as the next Marino, or a poor man's Peyton, but in actuallity, he looks like a poor man's Vick. Outside the pocket, he's only good for running out of bounds.... if he get's the first, fine, if not..... oh well, David doesn't care. he'll just blame the O-line.
Old 02-24-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

It's pretty simple, our line can block for 2 seconds. That is about all you need to get through the LOS. Anymore, sack time.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I understand the difference between pass blocking, and run blocking. If they are this poor at pass blocking, their run blocking can not be much better. Unless they just have it in for Carr.

So I'm left to believe, either the O-Line hates Carr, or DD is special. one or the other. If they don't hate Carr, and 2 seconds is the best they can do(what are people like that doing in the NFL...... and starting mind you), then the wholes they are making for DD can't be too big. Watch some tape, old games you've recorded, and see who is hitting DD. If any DLinemen touches DD, then our Olinemen ain't doing their job. The whole idea behind run blocking, is to keep the big guys off your little guy(the halfback). If they keep hitting him, it's going to be hard to get him through a whole season, which is the problem we have.
Old 02-24-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I'm getting so sick and tired of this crap.

When has any team ever had an O-line that finised 16th in rushing, and dead llast in pass protection?? How can you be pretty good at run blocking, but totally suck at pass blocking?? I can understand being pretty good at runblocking, and so-so at pass blocking(but so-so will not get you 68 sacks) I can understand be fair pass blocking, and fair at run blocking(still won't get you 68 sacks). Now if they are fair to poor in both pass & run blocking, then that definitely shows you DD is better than average.

Now let's look at PittsBurgh's O-Line, Philly's, and Atlanta's. Of course they don't suck. but they're not that good. Evidence of that, is that their QBs leave the pocket often. Yeah, maybe the recievers just aren't getting open. Maybe teams like to blitz against them. Point is, you don't hear to much complaining about how their O Line needs a high first round draft pick, a quality FA, and a couple of years to gel. Why?? because they're quarterback get's the job done. People forget about the line breaking down, when plays are made, completions down the field, or first downs to keep drives alive.
Now, on a couple of those teams, the QB makes plays with his arm. Get's the team involved..... make big plays down the field.

We like to think of David Carr as the next Marino, or a poor man's Peyton, but in actuallity, he looks like a poor man's Vick. Outside the pocket, he's only good for running out of bounds.... if he get's the first, fine, if not..... oh well, David doesn't care. he'll just blame the O-line.
That's right, you know David Carr. Wait, you don't? You must know his teammates then. Still no? His coaches? How about the janitor?

Who does David Carr "blame" again?

That you just said Pittsburgh's O-line isn't good ... do you watch football? I wonder if Vick leaving the pocket has anything to do with the guy being a no-talent passer stuck in a scatback's body? McNabb can't scramble for **** either, clearly he leaves the pocket because Philly's two former Pro Bowl tackles just suck.

So. Throw a ***** fit about people claiming the line can't pass block, and then back it up with 100% baseless talk about David Carr "blaming" everyone else for "his" problems beside himself. Check.

Throw in loosely correlative but unrelated conjecture regarding scrambling QBs and their offensive lines. Check.

Wild trade rumor originating from some thirteen year old Madden play living in Sierra Leone, while giving not so subtle nod to Vince Young as the second coming of the Messiah. Hm, not here. Did you forget something?

Damn, the Vince Young crowd is really reaching these days.

Edit: I understand dogging on Carr, to a point. I like the guy, but he still hasn't lived up to his potential. Viewing game tape, a lot of what I see leads me to believe that the Texans have not given this quarterback - or any quarterback - the tools to succeed. Honestly tell me that you believe our pass blocking has been anything short of abysmal. Tell me that, and you are simply deluding yourself. DC has work to do, he has ground to cover before he is a great or even good quarterback, and I believe Kubiak is the man that is going to work with him and get him there. But you are reaching and it shows when you talk about Carr "blaming" people for the team's lack of success. It makes you look like you have a serious, increasingly blind agenda: which, in view of your post history, I guess you do. I would love to see the VY/DC/RB talk stay focused on fact or on actual knowledge of truth. Wouldn't you?

Last edited by jerek; 02-24-2006 at 10:23 AM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read