Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-23-2006   #1
teamplaya
Rookie

Default What do we think about mike williams

he might not be the ideal o-lineman for our scheme but i think he's better than any of our lineman and would be a huge upgrade and he was just cut so maybe we can get him and bring him back to texas
teamplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #2
Skrobes66
Rookie

This is great news for the Texans.......He is a huge upgrade compared to whatever rotating left tackle that we have....
Skrobes66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #3
Scribe
Rookie

A good friend of mine is a big Bills fan and I heard him constantly gripe about how disappointing Williams has been. Said he seems to run block ok but does a lousy job at pass protection. I don't know personally, since I've not really watched the guy, but just thought I'd pass along an observation from a Buffalo fan who follows his team religiously.
Old 02-23-2006   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the guy has been a bust since coming out of texas...i don't want him anywhere near our team...i think he's just a big lazy lineman who can't pass protect and we got enough of those guys here
Old 02-23-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy is a #4 overall pick who couldn't beat out a 3rd rounder who was released (mid-season) by his drafting team for the LT spot and ended up the season as the back-up LG. We could get him and Victor Riley and have two 1st rounders at tackle--that would have to give DC a warm and fuzzy, either that or a black and bruised.
Old 02-23-2006   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profil...ke.htm#agility

I am not sure.. would this guy fit into a zone blocking scheme that Kubiak employs? I don't know because I am not sure what UT ran back then and what Buffalo runs.

just wondering.

nevemind
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/87104

here is what they are saying

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forum...owtopic=117012

Last edited by Wolf; 02-23-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

one post on the bills MB showed the 2002 draft.. and Carr was #1 and Williams was #4... hmmmmm so much for a theory of going ugly early on that year.

and people here would probably had a fit if we had picked Roy Williams that year (at that time) .. just shows ya.. gotta do your homework (Williams went #8)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2006   #8
Jerry
Veteran

This guy would most definitely NOT fit into a zone-blocking scheme at about 6-6 370. I think that if we weren't going with one he would be a great find at RT as an excellent run blocker/mauler type (but it wouldn't have worked out with Wade here as well). He could be a good tackle still, just not for us.

As for the 2002 draft, I believe that both Bryant McKinney (#7) and Levi Jones (#10) have developed into very good left tackles for their respective organizations.
Old 02-23-2006   #9
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The guy is a #4 overall pick who couldn't beat out a 3rd rounder who was released (mid-season) by his drafting team for the LT spot and ended up the season as the back-up LG. We could get him and Victor Riley and have two 1st rounders at tackle--that would have to give DC a warm and fuzzy, either that or a black and bruised.
Infantry,
I could be wrong, but didn't they draft him to be a Right Tackle? I have to look it up, but I could be wrong.

I somewhat remember Bryant McKinny was the best LT Prospect and Williams was the best Right Tackle prospect.
Old 02-23-2006   #10
Doom Capers
Veteran

How about the receiver! I am sure he can block better than anyone on the line now.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #11
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1
Infantry,
I could be wrong, but didn't they draft him to be a Right Tackle? I have to look it up, but I could be wrong.

I somewhat remember Bryant McKinny was the best LT Prospect and Williams was the best Right Tackle prospect.

yeah he was a RT

Leonard Davis was supposed to be a LT
Old 02-23-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1
Infantry,

I may be wrong as well, but I believe he was drafted to be the LT (rarely are RT's drafted #4) and then was moved to RT, has been moderate to good at run blocking but bad at pass protection and now is at LG as a backup. Anyway you cut it, he was the top T and is a bust.

Leonard Davis was from the year before.
Old 02-23-2006   #13
stevo3883
All Pro

mike never had the feet to play LT. he was jus too big for his own good.

he was *supposed* to be better than Davis.
Old 02-23-2006   #14
cap1
All Pro

[quote] Agent David Dunn represents Joey Harrington and Mike Williams, so he has plenty of work to do. Williams is the best right tackle in the draft and what is important to remember is that he played with a lefthanded quarterback and consequently was the backside blocker much like a left tackle is for a righthanded quarterback. [quote]

This article came from 2002 right after the draft. Look at the blue box on the right side.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ills_draft_ap/
Old 02-24-2006   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

For the Bills, he was a good run blocker and poor pass-blocker. The Bills haven't exactly been good at pass-protection and did have Drew "Take a Sack" Bledsoe as their QB for 3 of William's 4 years. I think he could become a decent RT if he got into the right situation.
Old 02-24-2006   #16
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

From evrything I am reading, this guy is a clone of the kind of OL players we already have. I think Capers would have liked this guy, but Kubiak probably won't. We need a legitimate pass-blocking LT, as well as a fast pulling gaurd. Do we have either of these yet?
Old 02-24-2006   #17
cap1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
From evrything I am reading, this guy is a clone of the kind of OL players we already have. I think Capers would have liked this guy, but Kubiak probably won't. We need a legitimate pass-blocking LT, as well as a fast pulling gaurd. Do we have either of these yet?
True I don't think this guy comes here. I don't know who will pick him up, but someone will give him a chance.
Old 02-24-2006   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think we take too many guys expecting them to play better for us than they did for <team X>. I would like us to step up and actually sign someone that even the best of critics would have a difficult time condemning. Mike Williams clearly isn't a guy I want. I hope the best for him though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read