Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-22-2006   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default gaffney?

does anyone think he might leave us via free agency to go to another team...i've heard the skins are very interested in signing him...any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2006   #2
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I hope Mathis steps in as the no. 2 receiver so Gaffney should be expendable. He's been a good player for us so it would be regretable to see him go.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you think mathis has the hands to be a number 2 reciever...i don't...i don't see him as anything more than a younger corey bradford
Old 02-22-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think so. I think the new coaching scheme will entice him to want to stay. I just fear that he has a little bit of lever to work with to get paid more after this past season and our FO wont agree with it.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #5
whiskeyrbl

I hope he doesn't, given the other thread thats saying NY jets are letting FA go by the dozen,If he leaves should we go FA to get another reciever or draft a WR high in the draft?
Old 02-22-2006   #6
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

With coaching Mathis may become the deep threat that we have wanted for years. But I still think that we should keep Gaffney. It all depends on if the coaching staff thinks that Armstrong can step up and play consistently in the slot. I wouldnt risk it though.
Old 02-22-2006   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Not sure what the guys upstairs think, but I like Gaffney and hope he sticks around. Has been vastly underutilized to this point, like half the rest of the team.
Old 02-22-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see Gaff back as well. Anyone who buys into the Kubiak effect for other players should easily see the value Gaff.
Old 02-22-2006   #9
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Gaffney is our best route runner. There's a reason why he gets all those first downs everytime he touches the ball. We started to use him last season when AJ was out and he had some big games. I think hes a decent slot reciever or #2.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

The problem I see with Gaff coming back is Rosenhaus is going to want a little more than his value, and he has several teams that are interested in him. Including the Redskins who are in cap problems, the Eagles, Panthers, and the Browns if they lose Bryant. Crennel told several people after the two games he has played against Gaff that if used correctly that guy can be a good Number 2 guy. Want him back because I think he will be the Rod Smith kind of guy for our offense. AJ will be the Lelie who will go into longer routes, but get the ball more so people dont take that the wrong way. It is just gonna be interesting to get him to sign. Hopefully it gets done.
Old 02-22-2006   #11
barzilla
Veteran

To me, it was mystifying why Armstrong wasn't playing more. He got a first down every time he touched the ball. I think Gaffney is a good third reciever on a good team, but we need another bonafide threat besides AJ.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree we need another wide reciever. I don't think Mathis is going to be that. I really like Armstrong, but he probably isn't talented enough to be a 2nd wide reciever. He catches everything thrown to him, but that doesn't mean you're a good wide reciever. I say we go after a free agent. Reggie Wayne is off the market. David Givens is out there. I'm not sure who else, but there's got to be somebody willing to be a #2 guy. Peerless Price has sucked the last couple of years, and maybe if the Cowboys release him, he can be what he once was.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #13
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
Gaffney is our best route runner. There's a reason why he gets all those first downs everytime he touches the ball. We started to use him last season when AJ was out and he had some big games. I think hes a decent slot reciever or #2.
Been listening to Lance Z on 610 i see.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #14
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I'm in San Marcos, sadly no 610 here.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #15
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
He catches everything thrown to him, but that doesn't mean you're a good wide reciever.

What?! I though that was the main goal for a WR?

I understand that a good WR has to do other things as well (such as running good routes, knowing the offense, blocking well, etc.) but the main component IS catching everything thrown to him.

I just wish we could've seen more of him on the field. I don't know about you, but I would MUCH rather have seen a guy that catches everything thrown to him (Armstrong) on the field instead of someone who drops everything thrown to him (Bradford.)
Old 02-22-2006   #16
TexHorns
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB

I understand that a good WR has to do other things as well (such as running good routes, knowing the offense, blocking well, etc.) but the main component IS catching everything thrown to him.

I just wish we could've seen more of him on the field. I don't know about you, but I would MUCH rather have seen a guy that catches everything thrown to him (Armstrong) on the field instead of someone who drops everything thrown to him (Bradford.)
I agree 100%
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #17
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:

think of it this way, you can find an offensive lineman who can run good routes and has good hands, the key is being able to get seperation from coverage.

Armstrong just can't get good seperation, and gaffney isnt very good at it either. They're both possession guys all the way, but they're too small to get jump balls like most possession guys.
Old 02-22-2006   #18
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
think of it this way, you can find an offensive lineman who can run good routes and has good hands, the key is being able to get seperation from coverage.

Armstrong just can't get good seperation, and gaffney isnt very good at it either. They're both possession guys all the way, but they're too small to get jump balls like most possession guys.
I know you're being a little facetious w/ the Olinemen thing, but I get the point.

My point is this: How do you KNOW that Armstrong doesn't get good seperation? I havent' seen him play enough to determine that. Have you?

And even if Armstrong and Gaffney don't get good seperation, they can CATCH....A factor that was absent w/ "Dropford" in the game. Honestly, I think I would have rather seen an Olinemen w/ good hands in the game instead of Dropford.
Old 02-22-2006   #19
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
I know you're being a little facetious w/ the Olinemen thing, but I get the point.

My point is this: How do you KNOW that Armstrong doesn't get good seperation? I havent' seen him play enough to determine that. Have you?

And even if Armstrong and Gaffney don't get good seperation, they can CATCH....A factor that was absent w/ "Dropford" in the game. Honestly, I think I would have rather seen an Olinemen w/ good hands in the game instead of Dropford.
well i forgot who, but someone from the staff was answering a question about armstrong and said the reason he doesnt see much PT is because he can't create seperation. It makes perfect sense, hes not fast or quick, and hes still kind of raw in the hwole system.

oh yeah no one is denying badford was just plain... bad. But his speed demands more respect from a defense than armstrong or gaffney's good hands.

giving up a first down isnt that big of a deal, giving up a 60 yard td, well, that is.

Im a bigger fan of a guys with good speed. you can improve hands, not speed.
Old 02-22-2006   #20
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Personally I have no faith in 50/50 or 50/50 Jr. even though he is a great KR right now he doesn't inspire much confidence. Gaffney has seen the field and shown he is reliable, I would like to see him back here. Armstrong has good hands, but I would have liked to see him more on the field. I don't feel I can make a call on him right now. Though if we lost Gaffney I'm sure Armstrong would finally have the chance to show what he has.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read