Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2004   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs. Steelers Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
If I'm not mistaken Oakland will use both the 3-4 and the 4-3. Depending upon the situation. I'm sure SD will be a 3-4 base regardless with Phillips as the D-Coordinator. Oakland, however, is trying to mimmick the Patriots defense. Not sure how successful they'll be with it, but you can't blame them for trying.
Right, Raider Def. Coord. Rob Ryan came over from the Pats. He'll move OLB/DE DeLawrence Grant up or down depending on the situation. Ryan is also the son of Buddy Ryan, so I bet he has some elements of the 46 defense in his playbook as well.

Wade Phillips has run 43 defenses as well as the 34 and has said that he plans to mix things up, also. As you said, teams are imitating the Pats. I don't know how successful they will be, either. But, I'm glad the Texans are playing these teams early in the schedule before they get a chance to gel as a unit.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #22
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think the thing New England has on its side that allows it to be so creative defensively is the versatility of its players. I'm not sure Oakland has that versatility, and I'm pretty sure that SD doesn't have it at all. However, if they can get pressure on the QB with their front 7, it will make that young secondary of theirs look much better.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I overheard something on ESPN about having draft picks refuse to go to a team, and then the team relocates sometime later. For example John Elway and the Baltimore Colts. He refused to sign, was traded to Denver, and a few years later the Colts moved to Indy. Or Steve Francis and the Grizzlies. Same situation...traded to the Rockets, and then the Grizzlies move from Vancouver to Memphis. There was another one or two mentioned but I can't recall right now. Does this means SD might be moving soon? I think its definitely a possibility in the next 3 or 4 years.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #23
Diehardtexan
Veteran

The players are going to try to show their best in the preseason so they can either keep their jobs or win one. No one is safe from losing their starting job if they don't show up during the preseason. Good example would be Wong. The coaches found out that they have more explosiveness when Babin and Peek are playing at the same time. They are going to move Wong Inside to rotate with Forman and back up Sharper.

Last edited by Diehardtexan; 08-16-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #24
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the thing New England has on its side that allows it to be so creative defensively is the versatility of its players.
Yeah, and Belichick. I read in Sports Illustrated that he was at LSU with Nick Saban right after the Super Bowl scheming up new defensive looks. He's come up with a hybrid between the Cover 2 defense and the Cover 4. The defense gives the look of a cover 2 and then transforms into the cover 4. He is just always trying to come up with new looks.
Old 08-16-2004   #25
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

A funny website from the Pittsburgh area by Steeler fans for Steeler fans.

http://www.stillers.com/article_show.asp?ID=1186
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #26
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull

This stinks! I would be in burgh' this weekend, but I have to go to San Diego for business. The Lil' Bull will be there in the family's season tickets, and said he is going to wear his Texans gear! I wish I could be one of a few fans there. Last time, I was one of two fans there, and I took them all on at Heniz field, along with the Texans. Hey, I'm here and so are the Texans......You guess who won!
Old 08-17-2004   #27
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Most Steeler fans can't wait for the end of Cowher's coaching career. He takes a beatdown on a regular basis from them.
But then again, no one will ever measure up to the greatest coach in Steeler history.. Chuck Noll.
His dynasty with the Steel Curtain will never be matched again.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2004   #28
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not forget this will be a bittersweet return to Heinz Field for Kris Brown.

DiapHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #29
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Kris came to Houston via Pittsburgh...FA .. Yeah, sure thing .. forgot about that "Auntie DiapHer"! lol
Another gain for the Texans and loss for the Steelers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read