Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-20-2006   #1
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

Default If Vince Young was not a Longhorn

Would there still be the lovefest for Vince Young if he had gone to OU or USC or any other college other than Texas?
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #2
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
Would there still be the lovefest for Vince Young if he had gone to OU or USC or any other college other than Texas?
Easy answer! NO!!!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #3
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

It wouldn't be as strong...but people would still lobby for him because he's from here.

The answer is NOT no, and anyone that says so it's sadly mistaken.
Old 02-20-2006   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Aahh Haaa! But what if Vince Young was an accountant from Houston? Would there be such a fuss over him?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #6
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

To me it does not matter the school , I would take VY #1 !

Old 02-20-2006   #7
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
The answer is not "NO." There probably wouldn't be as MUCH hype in this area, but not for reasons that you think.

It's simple. If he wasn't playing his college ball only three hours from his hometown, not as many people from this area would have seen him play as much as they did (of course USC, Miami, etc are always on no matter where you are.)

I think that most of the VY advocates are obviously those that have seen him play most of his games (at least more than the Rose Bowl.) For the most part, the people that do not want VY are people that have not seen him play on a regular basis.

Of course a guy that is a hometown and state hero, just won the National Championship at a college three hours down the road, and his hometown holds the #1 pick in the draft...is going to get a lot of attention. But if the guy just did the same thing for OU (instead of Texas) against USC, it would still mean a lot b/c it would still upgrade a position where many think is a definite need. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Old 02-20-2006   #8
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Vince could be from New York City and the starting quarterback for USC, and I'd still want to pick him. This is about his play on the football field. Period.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #9
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, yes. Based on what I saw when he was in high school, I would have been watching regardless of where he attended college, as with Adrian Peterson.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #10
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course not. If Reggie and Vince switched hometowns and schools, there is no doubt there would be a huge following of Reggie fans. That's just how it is.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

But with the new team does VY have the same supporting cast??? If not, is it worse or better??? Same type of coaching??? A coach that didnt try to change him??? Same chance to show his big game skills???

Too many ifs...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #12
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

shrugs...i think im an exception to the vince young because he is from texas thing, and here is why......I love watching mike vick play football...to me the mobile quarterback is the most exciting player in football...if you have a talented one, i wouldnt care if he played in BF, Iowa. I wanted mike vick to be a texan.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #13
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBH
For me, yes. Based on what I saw when he was in high school, I would have been watching regardless of where he attended college, as with Adrian Peterson.
But what if he went to HS in Philadelphia, or Greenville Alabama, or Omaha Nebraska? The point of this argument is solely about his college career.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince Young was the QB of a national champion, and the way they won that game was a direct result of his leadership and ability. He's been on the national stage for a couple of seasons, so people know who he is just like they know who Reggie Bush is, too.

yeah, I think people would still want him regardless of where he played if it was the same series of events (ie. Heisman nominated, winning a championship) but different school.

The dude has just got amazing upside and potential. I'm not even a Young homer/hater, but I'm amazed at his raw ability and obvious leadership traits. I'd be the first to jump on his bandwagon if he was drafted by the Texans, but it ain't gonna' happen.
Old 02-20-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
The answer is not "NO." There probably wouldn't be as MUCH hype in this area, but not for reasons that you think.

It's simple. If he wasn't playing his college ball only three hours from his hometown, not as many people from this area would have seen him play as much as they did (of course USC, Miami, etc are always on no matter where you are.)

I think that most of the VY advocates are obviously those that have seen him play most of his games (at least more than the Rose Bowl.) For the most part, the people that do not want VY are people that have not seen him play on a regular basis.

Of course a guy that is a hometown and state hero, just won the National Championship at a college three hours down the road, and his hometown holds the #1 pick in the draft...is going to get a lot of attention. But if the guy just did the same thing for OU (instead of Texas) against USC, it would still mean a lot b/c it would still upgrade a position where many think is a definite need. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
That's a cute rationale and all, but it is still a rationale and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. VY absolutely deserves to be in the discussion of options for the Texans. He is the classic more raw with a higher upside prospect to contrast to Leinart. 99% of the national media/reporting scouting/draftniks have Leinart ranked as the #1 QB prospect, often with exactly that kind of caveat for Young--possibly higher upside, but raw and not as NFL ready. If folks around here weren't playing home town favorites and the QB was actually as bad as portrayed, there would at least be a legitimate debate on Leinart vs. Young. There isn't. There isn't a single MB poster who agrees with the vast majority of non-Houstonians and argues for Leinart. Is there a legitimate debate over who should be the #1 QB--absolutely. There isn't any debate in Houston--that spells homering for VY and to support that running down DC.
Old 02-20-2006   #16
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
This is the stupidest question, but I'm glad it's been asked again.

NOBODY wants Vince Young because he went to UT. The people who want VY want him because they see in him a once in a lifetime talent, a QB who could actually LEAD THIS TEAM for the next decade or more, and who would probably bring championships with him. In other words, a VERY SPECIAL PLAYER, sort of like Big Ben, Favre, and Cunningham all wrapped up into a single player.

Wanting him has ZERO to do with UT.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

NOBODY wants Vince Young because he went to UT. The people who want VY want him because they see in him a once in a lifetime talent, a QB who could actually LEAD THIS TEAM for the next decade or more, and who would probably bring championships with him. In other words, a VERY SPECIAL PLAYER, sort of like Big Ben, Favre, and Cunningham all wrapped up into a single player.

That is complete and utter BS or there would be a debate over who to take Leinart vs. Young. Only in Houston is there not a debate. Matter of fact, only in Houston is Young treated like the consensus #1.
Old 02-20-2006   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

Speak for yourself.Thats kinda funny considering 90% of the people who want us to draft young are longhorn fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40
To me it does not matter the school , I would take VY #1 !

Funny his location says Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB

Same for any other prospect. If they had a great college career and you watch a big majority of their games then you are going to want that player more than another player that has the same amount of talent. If Bush or Lienart grew up in houston and went to UT you would barely evern hear youngs name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to admit if the Texans are going to take a QB in the first round I would want VY and im not afraid to admit that him being from houston has alot to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #20
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

...maybe if he went to A&M

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read