Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2006   #1
Darporini
Rookie

Question Gary Walker at DE????

Does anyone think that Gary Walker could be the team's strongside DE if the coaching staff asked him to drop 20 - 25 lbs. in the offseason?

He is listed at 305 lbs. Is this accurate?

By doing so, it give the team more options upfront. It would also be more beneficial to Walker. By playing at a lighter weight, he would probably be more effective as a pass rusher.
Old 02-18-2006   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Honestly no. He has played SDE before and he could likely play it on rushing downs, but he is past his prime and does not have the speed to get it done. Plus G-Funk may not be with the team after all is said and done.
Old 02-18-2006   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I think that hes too big an too slow to have any effect on the pass rush. He may be able to be a run stuffer in short yardage situations, but he is not an every down DE.
Old 02-18-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez, he was too big and slow to effect the pass rush in the 3-4. He'll never get there in a 4-3. I mean he chased the QBs, but he never caught them.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Give me some of that stuff that don't hurt and don't stink

Nope. He's not dun, but close. Payne's over the hump also.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #6
Doom Capers
Veteran

I don't think ole' Gfunk will be with us much longer. Thank god.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see him destroying some tackles in the 4-3.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2006   #8
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Walker doesn't have the speed to play DE. I would rather have him stay at DT, switching in and out with TJ and Payne.
Old 02-18-2006   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
When G-Funk was in the game, the defense was better...hands down.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
You obviously didnt watch the run defense when Walker when in vs. when Walker was out. Walker is a force in the trenches...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #11
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get A New QB
i would love to get abraham from the jets
And that's probably gonna cost alot since the Jets just franchised him again.
Old 02-18-2006   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the tough thing is we can't simply get john abraham because then what are we gonna do with babin...at 256lbs abraham isn't a strongside DE either...there is a possibility of walker working at strongside DE but i would have to bet against it...i just don't see him staying with us due to his cap number...he also doesn't have the speed need to rush the passer from that spot...payne is probably also going to be a cap casualty...with all the guys we have at DT we probably have enough depth to last us for a few seasons
Old 02-19-2006   #13
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Honestly no. He has played SDE before and he could likely play it on rushing downs, but he is past his prime and does not have the speed to get it done. Plus G-Funk may not be with the team after all is said and done.
i gotta agree. last offseason, the front office tried to make a statement by shipping out older players with huge salaries that were deemed expendable. walker managed to stay on the team primarily bc he was getting healthy, but his presence was unnoticed in my eyes. besides, the texans are better off taking their chances with babin and peek as the DE's or drafting another one, and using payne, johnson, and robaire as the DT's. walker = gone this offseason.
Old 02-19-2006   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Walker is our best DT, hands down. A lot of people seem to dislike him, but Robbair takes plays off, TJ is an unkown quantity and Payne is average. Walker is the best at gettin into the backfield and dissrupting plays. Unfortunately, he is old and costs a lot of money. That seems to be the main argument against him, obviously TJ and Robaire are much younger. I think that if we get rid of any of our DT's it will be Payne, but that also means we wont be using any of the 3-4 sets.
Old 02-19-2006   #15
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Walker is our best DT, hands down ... I think that if we get rid of any of our DT's it will be Payne, but that also means we wont be using any of the 3-4 sets.
It's just me but if we got rid of one I'd hope it'd be Walker. Payne to me still brings it & more importantly stays off the trainer's table a lil more than GW.
Old 02-19-2006   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
It's just me but if we got rid of one I'd hope it'd be Walker. Payne to me still brings it & more importantly stays off the trainer's table a lil more than GW.
I don't think Walker liked 2gap duties at all. He got beat up quite a bit by two 300 pounders on every play and couldn't do what he does best most of the time. If he can stay lean (he got too big for a while) I don't think he will get as banged up shooting gaps in a good inside platoon-rotation as opposed to tying up blockers all game and warding off players...that's not his strong suit.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #17
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

...thus emphasizing the fact that capers is dumb. the 3-4 in houston was a major misallocation of talent. he picked the wrong group of people to play the 3-4.
Old 02-19-2006   #18
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Walker will benefit most from the switch to a 4-3 defense

With us switching to the 4-3, Walker should benefit greatly. I know he's up there in age, but when he was healthy, he was a force on defense.

Walker has had his greatest success in the NFL when he played in a 4-3 defense. Imo, part of his injury problems have got to be due to the fact that he's been getting double teamed almost constantly in the 3-4. After all, that's what the role of a DT is in the 3-4. They're supposed to tie up the OL, so that the LB's can make the plays. Thus, his body takes a lot of punishment.

Prior to him coming to Houston, & including his 1st year here, he had only missed 3 games in 8 years. In the last 3 years (all with Houston), he's missed 18 games. Is that just age, or the 3-4?

With the switch to the 4-3, that should free him up some. As a result, we should see a much greater performance from Walker this upcoming year.

The Texans have 4 very good DT's in Walker, Payne, Smith, & the youngster (TJ). There are a lot of teams that would love to have that kind of DT talent.

If Babin picks up from where he left off, at the end of last year, & continues to improve on the talent that we were lead to believe he has, that will only help to take some more pressure off of Walker.

At times I'm impressed with Peek & at other times I'm disgusted with him. Now, while I'm a solid trade down & pick D'Brick fan, there's been something that's been bouncing around in my head (no, it's not a loose lugnut) for a while.

What if we traded down & picked Mario Williams? Imagine a DL of Babin, Walker, Payne, & Williams, with Robaire, TJ, & Peek coming off the bench. I do realize that one of Walker, Robaire, or Payne will need to be traded away for cap reasons, but even with that, we'd have one heck of a DL.

The bottom line is, I look for a major improvement from Walker (& even Babin) with the switch to the 4-3.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #19
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get A New QB
man gary is good but i see him better at dt with smith and tj than at DE

i would love to get abraham from the jets
Thats the problem we have loads of DT's but no ends.

Payne, TJ, Robaire Smith and Gary Walker would all play DT, as would Ioane and Deloach.

No way all 6 are coming back who's your money on?
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian
Thats the problem we have loads of DT's but no ends.

Payne, TJ, Robaire Smith and Gary Walker would all play DT, as would Ioane and Deloach.

No way all 6 are coming back who's your money on?
I say we keep Walker and Smith as starting DTs. After that, whichever of the rest needs to go can go. I would think Payne would be an awfully good backup.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read