Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2004   #21
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default Re: t hollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
EVERYBODY knows If Hollings continues to fumble like he did against the Cowgirls not only Is he off the team but more than likely out of the league.
So the Texans are going to cut a 2nd round draft choice and if he is cut or not resigned no team will take a flyer on a guy that can outrun almost anyone in the league and whose only problem is fumbling???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #22
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
So the Texans are going to cut a 2nd round draft choice and if he is cut or not resigned no team will take a flyer on a guy that can outrun almost anyone in the league and whose only problem is fumbling???
No, I don't think that will be the case. But you have to put the "whose ONLY problem is fumbling" in the correct context.

By and large, the unwritten rule in the NFL, (and a rule that Capers swears by) is that the team who wins the turnover battle, wins the game. THAT is life in the NFL.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #23
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
All this back and forth is bunk. EVERYBODY knows If Hollings continues to fumble like he did against the Cowgirls not only Is he off the team but more than likely out of the league. No matter the reason or excuse or special circumstance...gone, outa here, see ya later, hasta taco...Just the fact of life in the NFL.
The guy is not going to be out of the league. Hell the Dolphins were taking a look at Stacey Mack, and you don't think they'd salivate if they saw Hollings name floating out there on the waiver wire? That's like saying a reciever with bad hands will not make it in the NFL. Look at Seattle. They have a couple recievers who are feast or famine, granted they've improved over the years, but they still have below average hands. With a guy like Hollings you have a big play threat, and the same is true of the Seattle wideouts. When you have a big play threat coaches are more likely to tolerate the fumbles or the dropped balls. Doesn't mean they like it, but they tolerate it in exchange for the big play threat. Fiddy mentioned a few backs earlier with fumble problems, and they're still in the league (Green, Henry, Tiki).
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #24
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69728 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The one he lost was because he was out of the game for 2 quarters and had to come in for Anderson when he got hurt, he was cold and his mind wasnt in the game anymore, he didnt think he was going to play again...
I too was impressed with Hollings last night, but to say thats the reason why he fumbled the ball is ridiculous. NFL players have to be ready to go anytime their coach calls their name and they better have their head in the game or they're gonna get hurt. If he messes up just say he messed up, we dont have to make excuses for him.(Thats what cowgirl fans do :hehe: )

One thing I would like to see from Hollings though is stronger runs up the middle. The guy runs on the outside like a madman and I was very impressed with his speed. DD is a better inside runner though. Having to good backs is a problem I dont mind having. Hollings and DD compliment each other great. One guy cand get you the tough yards up the middle and the other hits homeruns on the outside. Our offense is about to explode and I think it is going to happen this season. David Carr played Flawless last night, thats what made me the happiest.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #25
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The question marks surrounding Tony Hollings have migrated from his wheels to his hands.

History shows that the dropsies can be chronic, but that they can also be treated and cured. Some time back Fresno State had a running back named Derrick Ward who averaged around eleven yards a carry and two fumbles a game for the first four games of his freshman season. He never started after that and eventually transferred out of coach Pat Hill's program because the philosophy is simple; a running back must hold onto the ball.

I'd be far more worried about the fumbles if Hollings had been carrying the rock since high school. The fact of the matter is that he's still learning how to be a ball carrier. I think his case of the dropsies is of the curable variety and I get vertigo thinking about his upside.

I also love the way he'll run you over if you're in his way regardless of the logo on your helmet.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #26
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Hollings ran very well but there's no sense in making excuses for his fumbles. As an NFL running back, you should rarely fumble the ball once, much less three times regardless of the circumstances. If we're closing in on a winning TD and Hollings fumbles, giving the game away, I'm not going to say, 'Oh, well it's ok, he just came off the bench.' That said, it's still the pre-season and he has time to work on it, I think he'll be excellent this season.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #27
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
...I'd be far more worried about the fumbles if Hollings had been carrying the rock since high school. The fact of the matter is that he's still learning how to be a ball carrier. I think his case of the dropsies is of the curable variety and I get vertigo thinking about his upside...
I agree. I thought he looked great, for a guy with so little experience at the position. Weren't we supposed to be worried about his ability to catch balls out of the back field? I think he showed nice hands on the passes his way. Let's give him a couple of more games before we panick on fumbles.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2004   #28
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
NFL players have to be ready to go anytime their coach calls their name and they better have their head in the game or they're gonna get hurt.
I agree with that...if it was a regular season game. Once you sit during a preseason game, you are not thinking that you are coming back in. G-Funk said it best in a interview I saw on some channel: After you play you series or two, a preseason game gives you 3 hours to act like kids...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #29
SESupergenius

I was impressed more by the offensive line than I was with Hollings. Not only did they not give up a sack to a very good defense, but they were mowing the D line down. Look at how good Wells was doing. Hollings is just like he was last year. Fast and quick, but coughs up the ball. It doesn't matter if you give him excuses or not, that's just a fact. Hollings proved one thing so far, Dominik Davis is the starting running back and Hollings is the second.
Old 08-15-2004   #30
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hollings obviously has the potentail to be "special" as his coach in Georgia reportedly told Texans coaches which was the basis for them selecting him in the 2 round of the supplemental draft. And his hands aren't that bad - he caught a couple passes. No matter, he forfeits any chance he has to paly for
us (or any other NFL team), if he continues to fumble on a regular basis in games. He can routinely gain > 100 yards per game but won't play if he fumbles multiple times per game. Protecting the football - #1 assignment of any RB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #31
Jwwillis
All Pro

You have to realize Hollings fumbled 3 times in that game ( Banks got shafted with one of them ). NOBODY can tell me that if ANY player coughs up the ball 3 times a game he gets to continue to play in the NFL. Now that being said, I do not believe this will become a trend I just get tired of the lame excuses that in the long run wont amount to squat. I saw one guy post detailed exceuses for everyone of his fumbles. Pro-Football is a bottom line sport and If Hollings doesnt correct his fumble problems there wont be much If any room for him in the league. Good news is he is young an has plenty of time to learn.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Holliings fumbled 3 times in that game. I don't like to see fumbles (who does other than defenses?) but I'm not ready to panick over what I saw last night. Fumble number one, the defender popped the hell out of the ball. That was a good play on the defenders part and Tony needs to work on protecting the ball. Fumble number two I have a problem with. No excuse for that mess. The third one was just no focus on Tony's part. He's young, healthy for the first time in his pro career, and jacked up. He needs to settle down, let it come to him, and concentrate on what he's doing.

He'll get it. He's a good ways away from reaching that "bottom line" and finding himself unemployed.
Old 08-15-2004   #33
Texansbacker
Veteran

Hollings will have plenty of chances to redeem himself and hopefully he will show us better ball handling skills in the future.

Also, the way the O-line looked out there, when you plug good 'ol Domanick back in the mix, who looked head and shoulders above the other players early in camp, he should be explosive and add some real punch to our offense.

Jonothan Wells looked like a legitimate back-up as he hit the holes and looked quicker with some power.

Hope that Hollings fixes his fumbling and that DD and Wells will get better soon. It is nice to talk football after seeing some play...even if it was preseason. I will say that Hollings looked better than last year and I don't recall if Hollings had a problem holding on to the ball last year (stat machines do your thing) but I remember Portis having the fumbler moniker early on to and he turned out all right. The sky is not falling but the TEXANS DO LOOK MARVELOUS.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #34
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

This is what preseason games are all about: evaluating players and correcting mistakes before the real games begin. I can guarantee you that holding on to the football will be a major point of emphasis this week with all running backs, receivers, and even quarterbacks. If Hollings continues to have problems holding on to the ball, his playing time will be affected.

When he held on to the ball, he had a tremendous game. He made the Dallas starting defense look pretty ordinary, even though it was just the first preseason game of the season. If Hollings can take care of the ball, he is going to be a big part of the offense.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #35
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Its preseason. It really means nothing. It was an evaluation period - not a gague as to what to expect from guys every sunday. If Hollings fumbled 3 times every game - or if the coaches thought that he would - I doubt very seriously that he'd still be on the team. But if Hollings does have a fumbling problem I will be the first in line to hand him the pink slip. Cannot fumble.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #36
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I agree. I thought he looked great, for a guy with so little experience at the position. Weren't we supposed to be worried about his ability to catch balls out of the back field? I think he showed nice hands on the passes his way. Let's give him a couple of more games before we panick on fumbles.
I think he showed good hands too. I haven't seen anyone mention that one handed catch on the screen pass yet. It was a terrific grab for a guy who's pass catching ability has been in doubt. Looks as though he's worked hard to improve upon it, but I'd like to see more of it. Hopefully, we will see more screen passes his way when we take on the Steelers.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #37
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

the chronic had a good story on it...

Holling's story
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
I will say that Hollings looked better than last year and I don't recall if Hollings had a problem holding on to the ball last year (stat machines do your thing) but I remember Portis having the fumbler moniker early on to and he turned out all right...
Career numbers
Hollings - 40 touches - 2 fumbles 20 touches/fumble
D. Davis - 285 touches - 4 fumbles 71 touches/fumble
Portis - 634 touches - 8 fumbles 79 touches/fumble

Hollings has a problem with fumbles. He knows it, Capers knows it, and the league knows it. Defenses will try a little harder and put a little more effort in stripping the ball from Tony because hes shown a predisposition to coughing up the ball.

Dont kid yourself into thinking this isnt a big deal. Turnover ratio means everything to Dom Capers. Hollings has 3 games to convince the coach that he can put this behind him. If not, Tony will find a place on the end of the bench. And that would be a shame, because Hollings can be a real weapon for the Texans.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, ok. 40 touches and 2 fumbles. That ratio doesn't look good but I really believe it's a little soon to be getting worried about it becoming a trend. They'll work on it and they'll get him settled down and focused. Sure fumbles are bad news and nobody wants to see a turnover (by their team of course) but at this point I just think it's much ado about not much. For all practical purposes he's a rookie with little experience at the position (but tons of potential). He's pushing. He'll calm down.
Old 08-15-2004   #40
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I have this love hate thing going when I watch him run the ball. I love the effort he gives on every run for a back his size but I hate the fact he puts the ball on the ground. He had me jumping in and out of my seat because he would have a good run and follow it up with putting the rock on the floor.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read