Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-18-2006   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Ahmad Brooks in the Supplemental Draft?

Brooks is definitely a top talent, and if he had decided to coem out this year, he may have been the top LB selected. He may have had a tough time beating out Hawk for that spot, but he has the measurables to be the better player.

Now, he was kicked off his team and I dont doubt that he throws his hat into the supplemental draft ring, so if the Texans trade down with the Jets and get a first from next year, then we could choose to use one of our 1st round supp. draft picks to take this guy. Then we would have Ferguson, Brooks and we would still have a first rounder next year.

Now the Texans havent had much success with the supplemental draft (tony hollings), but Brooks is more of a prospect and less of a gamble. What do you think??
Old 02-18-2006   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Brooks first it has been stated that he was not kicked off the team from the Virginia AD. The article to speak of was wrong possibly. Other than that Brooks is talented, but injury prone. He would have been the third LB taken behind Greenway and Hawk. He would end up being likely the best of the bunch, but he would be a solid option to play LB for anyteam.
Old 02-18-2006   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Brooks first it has been stated that he was not kicked off the team from the Virginia AD. The article to speak of was wrong possibly. Other than that Brooks is talented, but injury prone. He would have been the third LB taken behind Greenway and Hawk. He would end up being likely the best of the bunch, but he would be a solid option to play LB for anyteam.
Coach, I really think he would be the first LB taken if he tests out at the combine like he should, and he shows he is clear of injuries. He will be the best 1st round LB in 2 years. He is the closest thing to Arrington you will see in quite a while. Hawk is the #3 LB in this draft if we are including Brooks.

I am also not entirely sure if he is on the team or entering the draft. If he enters, to answer the topic question, I would be runing out to the podium at pick #33 to get him. I wouldn't mind taking him in the first, but only after a few trade downs...maybe around 18? He is that good folks.
Old 02-19-2006   #4
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I would still take Hawk and Greenway over Brooks. Brooks might be the best athlete at LB since Arrington, but he isn't even close to being the tackler or having the instints that Arrington had. Hawk and Greenway are still more complete players and don't have the injuries that Brooks has had.
Old 02-19-2006   #5
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

id take brooks with our 2nd rd pick in the supplemental draft
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #6
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfrancis
id take brooks with our 2nd rd pick in the supplemental draft
Ditto, but someone may take him w/ mid-late 1st.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Coach, I really think he would be the first LB taken if he tests out at the combine like he should, and he shows he is clear of injuries. He will be the best 1st round LB in 2 years. He is the closest thing to Arrington you will see in quite a while. Hawk is the #3 LB in this draft if we are including Brooks.

I am also not entirely sure if he is on the team or entering the draft. If he enters, to answer the topic question, I would be runing out to the podium at pick #33 to get him. I wouldn't mind taking him in the first, but only after a few trade downs...maybe around 18? He is that good folks.
YTF I agree. Greenway and Brooks are the closest things to Arrington and Urlacher for a while. I answered the question of where I thought he would go. Coming in late to the party, he would be excluded from the combine and only have his Virginia pro-day. He has not been training at one of the draft performance institutes and the main reason he went back to school was because he was banged up. He is a stud and I get excited thinking about the possiblility of next year having a high pick and a mid round pick in the first because we traded down. Could you imagine AP and Brooks in the first round next year. Hello serious step up. Other than that I agree he is likely the most talented LB in the draft, but his question marks and off-field crap would have dropped him.
Old 02-19-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
YTF I agree. Greenway and Brooks are the closest things to Arrington and Urlacher for a while. I answered the question of where I thought he would go. Coming in late to the party, he would be excluded from the combine and only have his Virginia pro-day. He has not been training at one of the draft performance institutes and the main reason he went back to school was because he was banged up. He is a stud and I get excited thinking about the possiblility of next year having a high pick and a mid round pick in the first because we traded down. Could you imagine AP and Brooks in the first round next year. Hello serious step up. Other than that I agree he is likely the most talented LB in the draft, but his question marks and off-field crap would have dropped him.
I really think that if he tests out like he should, teams will overlook a lot of this question marks. I dont think any team would spend a first round pick in the sup. draft, especially with next years crop. I would spend pick #33 or my second round sup. draft pick. If he test out really well, I would even trade back up intot he first for him.

For anyone who thinks I am just getting on this guys wagon, I have been on it since last year.
Old 02-19-2006   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we trade down and get the Jets or somebody's first round pick for next year, pick him in the supp draft first.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #10
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:
Ditto, but someone may take him w/ mid-late 1st.
very true, i could see the steelers using a 1st on him, i'd say its about 50/50 he'd make it out of the 1st round and then we'd have first dibbs in the 2nd round.

i'd use a first on him IF we traded down this year and picked up a 2nd 1st rounder for next season.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i wouldn't take him. i doubt many teams would either. in a draft loaded with good linebackers, i don't think teams would be willing to risk a pick next year on him. he's out of shape and the possibility of this latest concern is a turnoff. he's not a "special" player either that would warrant a high pick. look at manny wright last year...a freak talent at DT who could dominate the line and he lasted till the 5th round
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

So, any new news about him? Is he really entering the draft?
Old 02-21-2006   #13
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

Everything that I can find has him in the draft. He and his teammate Kai Parham are both guys that we could consider.
Old 02-21-2006   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoRat
Everything that I can find has him in the draft. He and his teammate Kai Parham are both guys that we could consider.
Thanks. Can you imagine both of them on the Texans? That would be sweet.
Old 02-21-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
i wouldn't take him. i doubt many teams would either. in a draft loaded with good linebackers, i don't think teams would be willing to risk a pick next year on him. he's out of shape and the possibility of this latest concern is a turnoff. he's not a "special" player either that would warrant a high pick. look at manny wright last year...a freak talent at DT who could dominate the line and he lasted till the 5th round
If you are talking supp. draft, manny was projected only to go as high as the 3rd if he was luck. He is a cry-baby.

Brooks is different, he is that "special" player you say he is not. He would warrent a high pick in the regular draft, and probally a second round pick in the supp. draft. I think a lot of teams would be vying for him if he test out well.
Old 02-21-2006   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
If you are talking supp. draft, manny was projected only to go as high as the 3rd if he was luck. He is a cry-baby.

Brooks is different, he is that "special" player you say he is not. He would warrent a high pick in the regular draft, and probally a second round pick in the supp. draft. I think a lot of teams would be vying for him if he test out well.
he wasn't a crybaby till after he was drafted. and i hope saban makes him cry again. if he can play like he did in his rookie year....i hope he cries like a little girl for 8 hours a day
Old 02-21-2006   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
he wasn't a crybaby till after he was drafted. and i hope saban makes him cry again. if he can play like he did in his rookie year....i hope he cries like a little girl for 8 hours a day
Are you saying he played well his rookie year? If you are, I looked up his stats and 4 tackles, and 1 sack is not really good. If you were not, then my bad, I misunderstood your post.
Old 02-21-2006   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
Are you saying he played well his rookie year? If you are, I looked up his stats and 4 tackles, and 1 sack is not really good. If you were not, then my bad, I misunderstood your post.
yeah i did. because he dominated when he was in the game. look up his stats again, you'll still see the same thing, which is why you're supposed to WATCH THE GAMES when judging talent. only played 3 games, but in those 3 games, he was a menace at the line. in the buffalo game he completely embarassed the interior linemen on several occasions. once he sees the field more, he'll be a force to be reckoned with
Old 02-22-2006   #19
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

brooks would be worth a high pick in the supplemental draft which is what i hear he is going to do...unless the nfl grants him a late entry to this april's draft...if we don't pick up a guy to be our middle linebacker he is definetly a player worth spending a 2nd round pick on in order to get
Old 02-23-2006   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
yeah i did. because he dominated when he was in the game. look up his stats again, you'll still see the same thing, which is why you're supposed to WATCH THE GAMES when judging talent. only played 3 games, but in those 3 games, he was a menace at the line. in the buffalo game he completely embarassed the interior linemen on several occasions. once he sees the field more, he'll be a force to be reckoned with
Its hard to find Dolphin games in Lebanon Ohio, Bengalville. I could not see any games so I did the best I could to find stats. I never said he was bad, just wondered what his stats were.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read