Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-18-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Harrington "a great young talent"

Reports out of Detroit, have Rod Marinelli calling Joey Harrington "A great young talent." Martz is saying they are assuming he is the guy that was drafted with the great arm and accuracy.

So for a guy with very similar career stats to David Carr, does it come as a huge surprise he's getting touted by his new coaching staff? Is Carr that much better? The numbers don't bear it out. Maybe Kubiak, et al. aren't that convinced about Carr, given Marinelli's thoughts about a proven loser and draft disappointment.

As an outsider, I laugh at the thought at Harrington being "great"... however, there aren't many outsiders that laughed at the praise heaped upon David Carr. With respect to Detroit, it seems to be nothing but politics... and it wasn't quite the encomium received by Carr. The question lingers, is it politics in Houston too?
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that they are talking about his bocce ball skills. Polo? Piano? Surely it can't be football.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #3
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
Martz is saying they are assuming he is the guy that was drafted with the great arm and accuracy.
Well, if Martz said he had a great arm, then it is politics. He does NOT have a great arm and he was NOT the most accurate at Oregon. He completed less than 60% of his passes his senior year. A QB, while in college couldn't complete 60% of his passes, accurate? NO.

I couldn't believe it when everyone kept listing Harrington at the top of the class of the 2002 draft. I think it had more to do with the hype surrounding his outstanding bowl game performance in his last collegiate game. Hmmmm.....that sounds familiar.
Old 02-18-2006   #4
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran

What do you expect Martz (or Kubiak) to say? It's no different than selling a used car. Nobody tells people it's a hunk of crap. The problem is our Car (r) never has really run well, and has a bunch of highway miles. These coaches don't want to devalue an investment, or shake their QB's confidence. In Harringtons case, he can only go up IMO.
Old 02-18-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Joey Harrington was one of the few players that caught my eye, his senior season. I actually wanted Houston to draft him as their first QB. My brothe-n-law said,"no, they won't draft him..... there's this guy from Fresno state that might get 4000 yards this season, he's even better than Joey"

I'm not too big on college football, so I took his word. If he's better than Joey, then allright.

If Joey Harrington was here, then alot of the Carr would be harrington

So many people here believe it is wrong for us to go after the flash every year in a row. Our Coach get's fired, and his ineptitude is proven. Since Detroit finished better than we did, their a better team, or if Joey didn't get sacked 76 times, he has much better protection.

If Carr deserves another shot, so does Harrington.
Old 02-18-2006   #6
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long-Spurs-Texan
What do you expect Martz...to say?
Huh? Harrington isn't even the true starter on the team. He wasn't number one on the depth chart until the last game of the season. Why would the new regime feel the need to hype "their guy"????

This is a different situation that the one in Houston.
Old 02-18-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer

This is a different situation that the one in Houston.

Old 02-18-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a huge year for both Carr and Harrington. Neither have lived up to the potential they had coming out of college. New coaching staffs should shed some light if they've struggled because of bad systems or because they are just mediocre talents. Only time will tell.
Old 02-18-2006   #9
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Not really. Both Carr and Harrington have been dissapointments and get a new shot under a new coach. Garcia isn't going to be the starter. New coaches come in and these things happen in the NFL and it happens all the time if you have been a fan long enough.
Ask around the league and Carr still has potential and Harrington is a bust. This is the answer you will get. The statements coming out of Detroit are MUCH more political than those in Houston.
Old 02-18-2006   #10
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Harrington hasn't been able to get it done with 3 1st round wide recievers and an RB who was a pro bowl alternate as a rookie. While Carr has had the worst o line in the history of the NFL, a pretty average surrounding cast and done about the same.
Old 02-18-2006   #11
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

NCAP,
Welcome to the board. I was going to post the same thing like Vinny was saying, but he beat me to it. Harrington and Carr both will turn it around this year.
Old 02-18-2006   #12
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
I doubt anyone here is talking to any coaches and if that is what you believe in your head...fine. That's just so silly to make such statements about things that have no foundation in reality.
I didn't say anyone here was speaking to coaches around the league. This is what I believe. I didn't know opinions weren't allowed. Most of the statements on this board have no foundation in reality except in that person's own mind.
Old 02-18-2006   #13
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
It's a huge year for both Carr and Harrington. Neither have lived up to the potential they had coming out of college. New coaching staffs should shed some light if they've struggled because of bad systems or because they are just mediocre talents. Only time will tell.
What you are saying is true, but isn't this what we heard coming into year 4. It wasn't always a foregone conclusion that Carr was getting the gaudy extension, and Harrington looked to be heading out of town. My perception was that for both these guys Year 4 was crucial.
Old 02-18-2006   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What you are saying is true, but isn't this what we heard coming into year 4. It wasn't always a foregone conclusion that Carr was getting the gaudy extension, and Harrington looked to be heading out of town. My perception was that for both these guys Year 4 was crucial.
IMO, the thing that helped both of these guys is that there are not enough quality QBs to go around. Here generally are your choices: draft another QB who is going to take two or three years before you have a clue if he is good, get a veteran that you know is mediocore, or hope that the new coaches are able to flip a switch and get them going.

Houston is going option three and at the moment it looks like Detriot is doing the same.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Maybe Kubiak, et al. aren't that convinced about Carr, given Marinelli's thoughts about a proven loser and draft disappointment.
So because you think the Lions new coaches must be insincere in their statements regarding Harrington, Kubiak may well be deceiving the public with his remarks pertaining to Carr. Am I getting this right?

Another post that should be placed in the "no foundation in reality" category.
Old 02-18-2006   #16
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
So because you think the Lions new coaches must be insincere in their statements regarding Harrington, Kubiak may well be deceiving the public with his remarks pertaining to Carr. Am I getting this right?

Another post that should be placed in the "no foundation in reality" category.
The situations are pretty similar, at least on the surface. I'm not saying Kubes is insincere necessarily, just that what a new coach publicly says about a young underperforming incumbent QB might not be the end of the story.
Old 02-18-2006   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Orlovsky is a sleeper there...I hope.
That reminds me, I might eventually have a couple of ideas to throw at you.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Joey Harrington has been as much as a bust as david carr so far but ithink Joey has a better chance for succes now that he has mike martz if anyone can make him look like a QB it will be martz look and Bulger And Warner. and besides joey has more talent around him offensively speaking.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Not really. Both Carr and Harrington have been dissapointments and get a new shot under a new coach. Garcia isn't going to be the starter. New coaches come in and these things happen in the NFL and it happens all the time if you have been a fan long enough.
Garcia is a joke... Mariuchi, Policy, and Garcia.......... those three & Bill Walsh. That's what really tore SanFran apart. T.O. was scapegoat. SF was falling apart before T.O. started acting up, and they continued crumbling after he left.

The same thing is about to happen in Philly. Andy Reid has to establish himself as the head honcho, and McNabb is going to reject...... more than likely, the Eagles organization will side with McNabb, and Reid will be looking for a new job next January.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. I just wanted to get this off my chest. T.O. is not an angel.... he runs off at the mouth, and he's got no class. But I hate how peopl blame the SF fiasco, and the Philly thing on him. Mainly, I think, because that is the way the media presents it. T.O. was always crass.. that star thing in Dallas........ but the 49ers were willing to deal with it, even to the point of getting rid of Rice, who still had three good years left.
Old 02-19-2006   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Oh boy, here we go again.

I will say this though, after this past season, I have given up hope on Harrington. Carr is hanging by a string.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read