Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-17-2006   #1
bulldawgtexan
Rookie

Default I don't understand

I really don't understand why most everyone here has basically turned their back on Domanick Davis. He is good. He is very, very good. We do not need any help at the RB position. Davis, Morency, and Wells are a great trio. If we choose to spend money or picks on a RB, then we are wasting our time. I support DD all the way. It is ridiculous how most of you talk about him like he hasn't basically had to carry our team offensively. We don't need a FA RB, and we don't need Reggie Bush. Some of us still love you DD!!!!!!! Some of these bandwagon, fairweather fans don't speak for those of us who truly know that Davis has been awesome and will continue to be awesome!
bulldawgtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgtexan
I really don't understand why most everyone here has basically turned their back on Domanick Davis. He is good. He is very, very good. We do not need any help at the RB position. Davis, Morency, and Wells are a great trio. If we choose to spend money or picks on a RB, then we are wasting our time. I support DD all the way. It is ridiculous how most of you talk about him like he hasn't basically had to carry our team offensively. We don't need a FA RB, and we don't need Reggie Bush. Some of us still love you DD!!!!!!! Some of these bandwagon, fairweather fans don't speak for those of us who truly know that Davis has been awesome and will continue to be awesome!
Not thinking DD is a franchise back is not fairweather. There isn't a sports person in this town that thinks he is and there aren't many other NFL teams. He is a good back who works hard. He is injury prone. When you have a guy who is questionable every week and therefore isn't gettting the practice reps with the line, etc, it hurts the team. Despite his impressive stats at times he has never won us a game by breaking a long one nor will he ever be a home run threat. Wells is gone I bet throught FA. DD's best option will be RBBC with someone like Bush. Morency will be the 3rd back. It will save wear and tear in DD and will extend his career. He just hasn't shown that he can hold up for a season and if we do hit the playoffs there is a chance he will be injured that late in the season. I love the guy, just being real in my book.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #3
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
I haven't turned my back on Davis. I am of the opinion that he's a keeper. However the fact that he carried the team so much is a factor in wearing him down and his injuries. If your saying that we turned our back on DD because we support the Texans drafting Bush than you got things twisted. Davis can share the load with any of our other RB's but imagine Davis and Bush in the backfield. That would be an explosive and versatile backfield. You would have speed and power back there. Furthermore that would mean that DD would not have to carry so much of the workload so his body wouldn't be so worn down and he could finish the season in great condition. Davis and Wells are our best running backs.

Behind that I would disagree with you. Morrency does not have good vision or balance. He is not young, matter of fact I think he might be older than DD or about the same age. He made a comment about wanting a trade if Bush came here. To me that shows lack of competitive spirit, when DD was asked the question he looked forward to competing for the starting spot. Wells has also stated his wishes to remain a Texan. Yet, Morrency asked for a trade if Bush comes here, that speaks volumes to me, considering the guy hasn't really shown much promise he would be the first to go if Bush came here. Hollings has had an injury plagued career and if one of our backs went down he would have to play. I don't mind seeing him out there but considering his history and the fact that he hasn't shown what he can do I would be not be to confident with him.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #4
Gilly
Rookie

I am also a hugh DD fan and I believe (when healthy) he is the best thing since sliced bread. But the bottom line is that he is injury prone, and does us no good while sitting on the bench in a t-shirt. While I am against picking Bush, I am intreged by the thought of having them both in the backfield

I personally don't believe Bush can carry the entire load of a denver styled off. mainly because of his size. I think Bush would need DD more than DD needs Bush to improve. Bush is good for 15 carries a game , DD is good for 20.
Bush can hit the outside, DD can run the middle.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Dom is a good...middle of the pack starting caliber RB. He is good enough to be our feature back but he isn't a top 10-15 back in the NFL.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
....but imagine Davis and Bush in the backfield. That would be an explosive and versatile backfield. You would have speed and power back there. Furthermore that would mean that DD would not have to carry so much of the workload so his body wouldn't be so worn down and he could finish the season in great condition. Davis and Wells are our best running backs.
I would think that, with Bush blocking, DD's runs would diminish badly in yardage gained. Moran Norris just doesn't get enough credit around here. It gets worse too, because I wouldn't trust DD to block traffic in a turned over 18 wheeler. That's his greatest downfall (pass blocking).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm all for davis, wells, and morency...IMO it would be wiser to trade down with either the jets or the packers and land either mario williams or d'brick ferguson...plus some other picks and maybe a verteran or two...i don't see reggie coming in and pulling a cadillac williams...in fact i think he'll be more of a brian westbrook type back...one who might be better at wide out than runningback
Old 02-17-2006   #8
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly
I am also a hugh DD fan and I believe (when healthy) he is the best thing since sliced bread. But the bottom line is that he is injury prone, and does us no good while sitting on the bench in a t-shirt. While I am against picking Bush, I am intreged by the thought of having them both in the backfield

I personally don't believe Bush can carry the entire load of a denver styled off. mainly because of his size. I think Bush would need DD more than DD needs Bush to improve. Bush is good for 15 carries a game , DD is good for 20.
Bush can hit the outside, DD can run the middle.
I don't believe that Bush is an everydown back either,but in this system he would not have to be,it would be good for him and DD,however i would rather trade down.That being said my reason for posting here is get off the "Bush is not big enough" He is the same size Dorsett was,and if i remember correctly he was a pretty good RB.
Old 02-17-2006   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i mean has anyone really seen a game where he ran up the middle on a solid defense...the pac-10 isn't known for their stout defenses like the SEC or Big-10...heck the ACC and big-xii had better defenses than the pac-10...so honestly i don't know if he is an solid back like everyone in the world believes he is...cause the only defense worth mentioning that usc went up against was ut and if memory serves me correctly all the inside running was done by white...not bush
Old 02-17-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i'm all for davis, wells, and morency...IMO it would be wiser to trade down with either the jets or the packers and land either mario williams or d'brick ferguson...plus some other picks and maybe a verteran or two...i don't see reggie coming in and pulling a cadillac williams...in fact i think he'll be more of a brian westbrook type back...one who might be better at wide out than runningback
I couldn't possibly agree more.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #11
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i mean has anyone really seen a game where he ran up the middle on a solid defense...the pac-10 isn't known for their stout defenses like the SEC or Big-10...heck the ACC and big-xii had better defenses than the pac-10...so honestly i don't know if he is an solid back like everyone in the world believes he is...cause the only defense worth mentioning that usc went up against was ut and if memory serves me correctly all the inside running was done by white...not bush
Which makes sense because White is 30 lbs heavier.

LT went up against worse defenses in college and it didn't hurt his game.
Old 02-17-2006   #12
zeplin
Veteran

Quote:
There are many on this board that like DD as the Texans RB The big rub on him is he gets hurt (Injury prone NFL language) If you really look at it. He gets hurt because of all the use and abuse. Running, passing, and blocking, can take there toll on a RB. R Bush is smaller than DD and would be subject to the same punishment. I imagine Getting hurt on occassion.
The real important part to me is that DD is a 1000 yard proven russer in a sub-par offense on the worst team in the NFL. R. Bush is totally unproven.
He will be very expensive to a allready very tight salary capped team.
We have allready paid a whole bunch of money to the current roster.
I have allways said " Trade down and build your offensive line. We have so much power in this draft. If we are smart we can dictate who goes where for the first 4 picks. Probablt picking up bodies on the way to drafting D'Brickshaw Fergusen.
Old 02-17-2006   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Dom is a good...middle of the pack starting caliber RB. He is good enough to be our feature back but he isn't a top 10-15 back in the NFL.
Right!!And I also got tired of seeing my post account above at "666".
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #14
Frills
Veteran

Quote:

Seen DD block anyone lately?
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #15
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Well I look at it like this...DD is a good back but like said before he never has "won" a game for us. He's not that type of back. Hes a back who can produce and create a 2nd threat but is not good enough to win it for us on a day that the passing game is not connected which was all of last season. Reggie Bush however is a great blocker and has the potential to win a with his running if and only if our line can do the job and blockers can do there job. DD is a great player dont get me wrong but I beleive I could get a
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #16
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly
I personally don't believe Bush can carry the entire load of a denver styled off. mainly because of his size. I think Bush would need DD more than DD needs Bush to improve. Bush is good for 15 carries a game , DD is good for 20. Bush can hit the outside, DD can run the middle.
One more inch and 7 pounds and he's a prototypical size back. The size thing is completely overblown. He's strong as an ox from what they say so adding one-half of a pinky finger and 2 Big Macs are not going to make a difference.

He'll be fine....
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think it depends on what you want the strength of your team to be. If it is running the ball, then I don't think DD is your long-term answer. He might work in a balanced attack, but not as the primary focus of the offense (which is how Caper's staff tried to utilize him).
Old 02-17-2006   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

This will be the 3rd time I've posted this, but this probably the best thread to put it under.

Here's Tatum Bells and Mike Anderson's carries and yards in 2005:

Tatum Bell - 175 carries; 921 yards; 5.3 avg
Mike Anderson - 239 carries; 1014 yards; 4.2 avg

Combined they rushed for 1935 yards on 414 carries for a 4.6 avg. That's basically having a 2 headed monster in your backfield. I can see Davis and Bush doing even better than Bell and Anderson. First, Bush is supremely more talented than Tatum Bell and Davis is younger and more explosive than Anderson (Anderson used to be a fullback). Bush/Davis can probably total over 2100 yards in season in RUSHING yards alone. The difference comes in Bush's catching ability. Bell had 18 catches for 104 yards last year. Bush can definately catch at least between 30-40 catches a season for around 300-400 yards. Combined that would be 2500 total yards. Bush would help us immediately and would have a tremendous impact. Not even Vince Young will be able to have this much of an impact on our offense this early. I vote Bush.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #19
Texan_Kev
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He's been ranked in the top 10 - 15 every year in rushing yards.. He's ranked in the top 10 for the 2005 season.
Texan_Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #20
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Kev
He's been ranked in the top 10 - 15 every year in rushing yards.. He's ranked in the top 10 for the 2005 season.

2003- 15th
2004- 11th
2005- 18th

hes never been in the top 10

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read