Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-17-2006   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade down puzzle piece just completed

ESPN is reporting the Jets have put the Franchise tag on Abraham. This could be a key element in a trade with the Texans.

More intrique:

Pennington, Jets at odds
<Feb. 17> According to Newsday, Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, has rejected the Jets' proposal to cut the quarterback's 2006 salary from $8 million to $1 million and force him to make up the difference through incentives.
If the Jets decide they can't live with Pennington's current contract, or if the two sides can't reach an agreement by March 3, there's a chance Pennington could be released. Pennington is owed a $12 million bonus on that date, which the Jets do not want to pay.

Last edited by Texian; 02-17-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #2
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian
ESPN is reporting the Jets have put the Franchise tag on Abraham. This could be a key element in a trade with the Texans.
Or a key element in Abraham staying with the Jets.
Old 02-17-2006   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

It could be a key element in the Jets trading down with the Broncos so they can get abraham. They are interested in him to pair with Trevor Pryce since they will have to let go of some of the Cleveland castoffs that made up their D-Line this year.
Old 02-17-2006   #4
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Pennington turned down a contract renegotiation offer, could get cut. They might want one of those qb's... but Cutler would be around at 4.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #5
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

If We ended trading with the Jets i would like a swap of 1st rounds and next years second and john abraham. hell reggie bush might still be there. but mario williams or D'foam Ferguson would still be there.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
It could be a key element in the Jets trading down with the Broncos so they can get abraham. They are interested in him to pair with Trevor Pryce since they will have to let go of some of the Cleveland castoffs that made up their D-Line this year.
I find it hard to believe the Jets would trade down to the end of the first (29th pick) from the 4th spot AND give up Abraham. It would require a massive package from the Broncos to pull it off.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #7
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I find it hard to believe the Jets would trade down to the end of the first (29th pick) from the 4th spot AND give up Abraham. It would require a massive package from the Broncos to pull it off.
Well, they could drop to 22 since the Broncos own the Redskins pick. Still pretty far though. Maybe something like Abraham and the Jets 3rd for the Broncos 22. Just throwing stuff out there.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2006   #8
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
I could see them trading for a later first round pick strait up for Abraham.

Also, If they have trouble with Pennington and they trade Abraham, I see them trying to pick up more picks not give them up to move up.
Old 02-17-2006   #9
Capster67
Veteran

Default Dream Scenario

My dream scenario would be trading down w/ the Jets. We get Abraham & then draft D'Brickashaw. The Oilers laid the groundwork for 7 years of consecutive playoff appearances when they draft linemen in the first round (Mike Munchak #1 in 82; Bruce Matthews #1 in 83; Dean Stienkuler #1 in 84; David Williams #1 in 89). To date we haven't drafted a lineman in a round higher than round 2 (Chest Pitts w/ 50th pick in 2002). No wonder our line has been lacking.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #10
adrianshrev
Rookie

one rumor has the broncos trading up into the top 10 and then trading up again to texans they would mortage a whole lot to do it but they fill they are close to winning a super bowl just need one impact player..um...reggie bush
adrianshrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have Abraham but I don't like the scenario. I have also heard that it would be Abraham and that is it basically. So we move down and get him and their pick. Maybe I am dead wrong but I'd rather have the slew of picks. Now if they would take the first pick of the second round for him and we still moved down and had the extras in an unrelated move, I could see it.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 02-17-2006 at 04:26 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #12
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Right now, the Jets are so deep in the salary cap, I doubt they can muster the finances for a no. 4 pick, let alone a no. 1. This trade scenario seems unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i could see the jets pulling this off with us...except for the fact that john abraham isn't a strongside DE...he's another weakside...listed at 256lbs...why do the trade when we already have babin and peek...now the jets do have vilma which i would highly consider taking...shaun ellis is more of the type of DE we need...i could see a trade with green bay more likely involving donald driver or bubba franks and their number 5 overall pick for our number 1 overall
Old 02-17-2006   #14
Frills
Veteran

If we trade out of the #1 we need picks more than players with high salary and wear on them.

I don't trust CC and the trades he made in the past were plain ignorant. Course he has made some very bonehead picks as well, but at least we have a fighting chance with the picks versus another Burntnan.

We need someone who won't be garbage 3-4 years from now, when we're actually making the push.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #15
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Vinny the Broncos have two first round picks and have expressed an interest in him. One thing Shanahan has proven in his time in Denver that he will make any move he wants for a player he wants. They have done it consistently. Like the thread said these are just possiblities. I mean Foxsports.com says that he could be part of a trade down deal with us if we swap picks. So you never really know but Denver has the ability and a solid core where they could make this deal.
Old 02-18-2006   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"My dream scenario would be trading down w/ the Jets. We get Abraham & then draft D'Brickashaw. The Oilers laid the groundwork for 7 years of consecutive playoff appearances when they draft linemen in the first round (Mike Munchak #1 in 82; Bruce Matthews #1 in 83; Dean Stienkuler #1 in 84; David Williams #1 in 89). To date we haven't drafted a lineman in a round higher than round 2 (Chest Pitts w/ 50th pick in 2002). No wonder our line has been lacking." -- capster67

------------------------

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down with the crazy talk.

Have you not gotten the memo? The only way we win is with Bush or Young. We're going that Detroit Browns route where you draft QB or WR or RB every other year until we find the one guy that can take the ball the distance on each play on his own merits.

Who needs quality, franchise o linemen and d linemen? Let those Patriots and Steelers have those guys each year. Suckers!
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #17
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

For what it's worth Michael Smith thinks the Jets are drafting Cutler. I don't know if that means they trade down or take him at #4.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #18
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down with the crazy talk.

Have you not gotten the memo? The only way we win is with Bush or Young. We're going that Detroit Browns route where you draft QB or WR or RB every other year until we find the one guy that can take the ball the distance on each play on his own merits.

Who needs quality, franchise o linemen and d linemen? Let those Patriots and Steelers have those guys each year. Suckers!

In defense of the Browns, didn't they go crazy with cruddy defensive linemen and also draft a centre in the first round, recently?
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #19
BeerFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to BeerFan

and wasnt everyone pissed off when we got a DT last year? i see very little consistency on this message board.
Old 02-18-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to wait 'till they do something before I know what to be pissed about. It saves me from having to act happy.

But we do consistently gripe about everything, so that's something right there.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read