Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Economical O-Line Projection

Weary was resigned to build depth and eventually replace Weigart at right gaurd.

The lineup will look like this next year:

Pitts - McKinney - Eslinger (Draft) - Weigart - Wand

The Texans are likely to draft a LT prospect with the second round pick (likely Colledge - who could see action). However, I envision them gritting their teeth an living with McKinney's contract for one more year w/ Colledge ridng the bench. Eventually, Colledge will be moved to tackle and Pitts will either switch to RT or move in at LG. If all goes as planned, Weary will replace Weigart in 1-3 years.

Eslinger will likely be available in the 3rd or 4th round. He is an undersized center (290lbs), who played in a very good zone blocking scheme at Minnesota. He is an ideal center candidat that, while not nearly at the level of a FA like LeCharles Bentley, will become a very good Tom Nalen-esque player.

We will work to sign an FA tight end, MLB (which Richard Smith places a premium on), and DE.
Old 02-16-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

So is this fact, Eslinger will be starting at Center next year? Usually you preface your takes are based on speculation, but something is afoul here.
Old 02-16-2006   #3
bdiddy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
So is this fact, Eslinger will be starting at Center next year? Usually you preface your takes are based on speculation, but something is afoul here.
No, this is merely my opinion.

I must preface with pure speculation when discussing areas from a couple of sources close to the team b/c the moderators seems to think if you do not include speculation within the message you are committing mortal sin.

This is my opinion based on observation and some things I have heard, but nothing certain.
Old 02-17-2006   #4
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get A New QB
i really do not like that line you just named

is more like this

LT LG C RG RT
ferguson McKinney Hodgdon Weigert Wade

Where's Pitts?? you left off our best lineman...
Old 02-17-2006   #5
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Weary was resigned to build depth and eventually replace Weigart at right gaurd.

The lineup will look like this next year:

Pitts - McKinney - Eslinger (Draft) - Weigart - Wand

The Texans are likely to draft a LT prospect with the second round pick (likely Colledge - who could see action). However, I envision them gritting their teeth an living with McKinney's contract for one more year w/ Colledge ridng the bench. Eventually, Colledge will be moved to tackle and Pitts will either switch to RT or move in at LG. If all goes as planned, Weary will replace Weigart in 1-3 years.

Eslinger will likely be available in the 3rd or 4th round. He is an undersized center (290lbs), who played in a very good zone blocking scheme at Minnesota. He is an ideal center candidat that, while not nearly at the level of a FA like LeCharles Bentley, will become a very good Tom Nalen-esque player.

We will work to sign an FA tight end, MLB (which Richard Smith places a premium on), and DE.
Left side I'd agree with. NOt sure about Wand at RT. I'd go with Weigert and maybe try Wade at RG instead. Hodgdon at C.

As an experiment do you think Wade could play at C?
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #6
texman8
Veteran

Seriously doubt Wade could play Center...........you don't see many 6-7 centers.......you need to have quickness once ball is snapped.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #7
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8
Seriously doubt Wade could play Center...........you don't see many 6-7 centers.......you need to have quickness once ball is snapped.
ummm , just a thought....more about his size in going up against DT's the size of Stroud and Henderson.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2006   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Bdiddy I cannot really see that line. I mean I am optomistic on the quest for Bentley, but we will be competing with winning teams or teams he values, so that may be a losing effort. Jeff Brackus will be more expensive than what I want to deal with or he would make an interesting grab. McKinney will have to restructure his deal or he will be looking for a new team since we gain a good bit from cutting him. Weigert's deal is mangeable for one year, but if he is willing to restructure for another 3 years he can retire a Texan. I see us with a line more like this if we are talking economical.

Pitts LT- Mangold LG- Hogdon C-Weigert RG- Wade or Winston RT. Pure speculation and hope of course. Lilkely will look like
Pitts, Weary, Hogdon/FA, Weigert, Wand.
Old 02-17-2006   #9
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think Sherman is going to work over Wand this spring.

The new line will be
Wand - Pitts - McKinney - Weigert - (FA)
Old 02-17-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wand, Pitts, McKinney...? Just kill me now. Wand may show improvement at LT, but he won't be better than Pitts there anytime soon and, more importantly, I don't want to ever see McKinney at center again. He doesn't belong there.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8
It would be like having Herman Munster at Center

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #12
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Ferguson - Pitts - Hodgdon - Weary - FA/Wand/Wade

This is what Im hoping at least. My question is, do you think Pitts could work out as our RT?
Old 02-17-2006   #13
adrianshrev
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
Ferguson - Pitts - Hodgdon - Weary - FA/Wand/Wade

This is what Im hoping at least. My question is, do you think Pitts could work out as our RT?
i think i would prefer

ferguson-hodgdon-mangold-weary-pitts

it would tie up r early picks but would solidify our line for the next five years
adrianshrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
It would be like having Herman Munster at Center
Or like Mark Eaton at center.

Wait - that was the Jazz and basketball. Never mind.
Old 02-17-2006   #15
bdiddy
Veteran

I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but I am not sure why so many people are jumping on the Hogdon bandwagon.

I am not saying is a bad player, to the contrary he may turn out to be a very good interior lineman. However, the guy played less than 10 quarters in the NFL. I think it is a little quick to be anointing him our starting center. I think he should be in the mix to compete for the job, but he is very inexperienced. I personally would like him better at guard in the zone blocking scheme.

I think Eslinger would be better than Hogdon at center if we are looking to go with a strong youth movement.
Old 02-17-2006   #16
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but I am not sure why so many people are jumping on the Hogdon bandwagon.

I am not saying is a bad player, to the contrary he may turn out to be a very good interior lineman. However, the guy played less than 10 quarters in the NFL. I think it is a little quick to be anointing him our starting center. I think he should be in the mix to compete for the job, but he is very inexperienced. I personally would like him better at guard in the zone blocking scheme.

I think Eslinger would be better than Hogdon at center if we are looking to go with a strong youth movement.
Last yr. was his rookie campaign, he came in and outperformed McKinney. You don't expect that and even though he was hurt he showed he could handle the position. Now at the moment Hodgdon should be the starting center because he is familiar with the zone blocking scheme the Texans will run and better equipped to handle it than McKinney. Sure, as the season progresses Enslinger if we get him might get the spot. However to start a rookie like that would be foolish. Also there is no guarantee we get Mangold or Enslayer, and at the moment the oldest/weakest position on the line is guard. So plugging in a rookie at center you weaken 2 spots instead of strengthening the one that needs to be strenghthened.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #17
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

IMO Wand is nothing more than a backup at this point. This is what I want.

Ferguson..Wade...Hogdon...Wiegert...Pitts
Old 02-18-2006   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, I'll throw one out there:

Pitts....McKinney....Hodgedon....Wiegert....Fergus on

(Ferguson would switch with Pitts eventually, but not this year.)

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Wand, Pitts, McKinney...? Just kill me now. Wand may show improvement at LT, but he won't be better than Pitts there anytime soon and, more importantly, I don't want to ever see McKinney at center again. He doesn't belong there.
Agreed, LOL kill me too. Wand is a grass killer at this point. I stand to be corrected, but his negative coming out was upper body strength. I assume that hasn't changed. I.E. he can't play anything on the right side no matter what scheme you stick him in or who the line coach guru is. You call that here thing a bust. There is nothing on this football team's roster at gaurd that keeps the D coordinators up at nights. You could flush the lot of them , re-draft and still be ahead of the game. JMHO. The drafting of another center day one after you've already taken one the year befor gets you on the old Bengals road. Awefull ,with no prospect of digging out of this hole. This o line stinks, has stunk for four years and needs to be fixed, now. The only gaurd on the roster with any value at all is Washington. Low cap, effecient when he plays. JMHO. I'm fed up with this.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well , one thing about him, he made a matched set of players who ended up
in the texan's infirmary. TBS you pray like heck he's not down with Japporu sickness and you ride it out. You don't re-draft positions year after year. Give Hogdon his props for a good rookie year and go get a Joppru replacement day two. JMHO.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read