Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2006   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default texans resign fred weary

as listed on the homepage...any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2006   #2
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

He's a pretty athletic lineman I think, maybe he'll have a place in Kubiak's scheme. I hope so. He played C in college so maybe he'll get a shot there if he can't cut it as a starting G.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Weary played well when he was in late in the year. He has a great attitude, is very flexible for a big man and may be a good fit in this offense since we are going to actually run the o-line LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED. *ahem*. Anyway...he has had poor handwork in the past but he's smart enough to take to better coaching. I'd like to see him get reps at Center and Guard both.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

i aslo thought weary played much better this season than in the past...even better than the preseason game he played before the season kicked off...and with his weight around 306lbs i believe he is one of the closest lineman we have to the weight kubiak is used to...still needs to drop about 8-10lbs but still how good would it be for casserly if kubiak was able to turn his 3rd pick a few years ago into a regular starter...something that capers wasn't able to do
Old 02-16-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

glad we signed him again. Ive never been impressed with our Oline depth...but I wanna see what our new staff can do with them.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I had heard that the new coaching staff liked Weary, which certainly contrasts to what Pendry and Company thought. That is why I asked MorKnolle why he put Weary ahead of Brown on this thread in post #69:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...589#post276589

I didn't want to post it last week because I didn't want to say the source and people are getting testy about that lately.

I thought Brown had looked decent when he played. How does anyone think Weary and Brown compare?

I'm glad we are starting to get a trickle of hints to what the coaches are thinking. It is something to really discuss. I bet we get a few more contracts done in short order.

Last edited by Runner; 02-16-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #7
SESupergenius

Like I said before, everyone should get a clean slate no matter what you thought of the player before. Carr gets one, no reason Weary should either, and everyone knows that I fired off on Weary for several years now.
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I thought Weary played well when he was in late in the year. He has a great attitude, is very flexible for a big man and may be a good fit in this offense since we are going to actually run the o-line LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED. *ahem*. Anyway...he has had poor handwork in the past but he's smart enough to take to better coaching. I'd like to see him get reps at Center and Guard both.
Do you have any theories to why he never saw much action before?
Old 02-16-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Like I said before, everyone should get a clean slate no matter what you thought of the player before. Carr gets one, no reason Weary should either, and everyone knows that I fired off on Weary for several years now.
Yeah - Fred took a lot beatings on the board in the past. I don't recall him ever getting much playing time before the end of the past season. We really may get a chance to answer the talent vs. coaching issue next year.
Old 02-16-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Do you have any theories to why he never saw much action before?
poor handwork/leverage. he got beat with simple quickness techniques over and over. He has the body and the measurables.

Old 02-16-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
poor handwork/leverage. he got beat with simple quickness techniques over and over. He has the body and the measurables.
Good. Coachable stuff.
Old 02-16-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Hopefully he is our still young but now veteran, versatile G/C combo back up in a blocking scheme that will be more about finesse and being an athlete than it is about plowing people or just trying to mash everybody with big lumbering guys.

Old 02-16-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Hopefully he is our still young but now veteran, versatile G/C combo back up in a blocking scheme that will be more about finesse and being an athlete than it is about plowing people or just trying to mash everybody with big lumbering guys.
Hopefully at a good price. I'm kind of surprised one of our UFAs signed so soon though.
Old 02-16-2006   #14
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree. I think Weary could amount to something with some good coaching and a chance.
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Like I said before, everyone should get a clean slate no matter what you thought of the player before.
I for one am gonna very interested to see what the new coaching staff thinks
of Seth Wand, because I think a lot is unknown about his rapid ascent to the
starter at the top OL position, and just as rapidly falling out of favor with
the previous regime. I'm thinking he's a RFA this offseason, so we'll see if he gets any interest from other teams and what becomes of him under the new regime.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #16
samomin
Veteran

I remember watching the fitness corner with Dan Riley a years or so ago on this website. Dan was working out Moran Norris and Fred Weary and Weary was huffing and puffing through his reps. The guy didn't seem strong enough compared to Norris. Now this is based on only one video, but I hope he has come a long way since then in his work ethic.
Old 02-16-2006   #17
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonIsOver
nice rebuttal.....here is mine in a language you may be able to understand

maybe is you being think you can and start to more time spending creating cogent sentences.

and please leave the apologist rhetoric to others..you will be doing yourself and your cause a favor
Where is a moderator when you need one?
CajunTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunTexan
Where is a moderator when you need one?
We tend to only delete direct insults and name-calling and try to let people define themselves with their behavior. The above post would be a good example of letting Honeymoon define himself.
Old 02-16-2006   #19
bdiddy
Veteran

Default My Prediction

Weary was resigned to build depth and eventually replace Weigart at right gaurd.

The lineup will look like this next year:

Pitts - McKinney - Eslinger (Draft) - Weigart - Wand

The Texans are likely to draft a LT prospect with the second round pick (likely Colledge - who could see action). However, I envision them gritting their teeth an living with McKinney's contract for one more year w/ Colledge ridng the bench. Eventually, Colledge will be moved to tackle and Pitts will either switch to RT or move in at LG. If all goes as planned, Weary will replace Weigart in 1-3 years.

Eslinger will likely be available in the 3rd or 4th round. He is an undersized center (290lbs), who played in a very good zone blocking scheme at Minnesota. He is an ideal center candidat that, while not nearly at the level of a FA like LeCharles Bentley, will become a very good Tom Nalen-esque player.
Old 02-16-2006   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

and i have to believe that weary is more of a center than a guard mold of lineman...i would like to see him and hodgdon going into training camp competiting for the starting center job along with mckinney and one of them win it out right...not by a slight decision but out right

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read