Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2006   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colin Cowherd's segment on ESPN Radio discusses the Hometown Hero VY

Did anybody catch this segment on ESPN Radio. You can download and listen to it. (Juvenile Thoughts)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou

First of let me say Colin irritates the hell out of me, he verbally abuses his listeners at times, but the points he makes or some of the same points that have been debated over and over and over on this board so take it for what it is. Although I don't like him his stand is almost everybodies outside the state of Texas. I also find it very interesting how the two callers that agreed with him were HORN FANS!, and I thought I was the only Horn Fan that was critical of Young at the next level.

Hes also got a interview with Charlie and assumes hes taking Bush and goes on another rant and again brings up many views brought up on this board. (he goes a little overboard with the Bush garrantee to the HOF)
(same link)

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 02-16-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
Did anybody catch this segment on ESPN Radio. You can download and listen to it. (Juvenile Thoughts)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou

First of let me say Colin irritates the hell out of me, he verbally abuses his listeners at times, but the points he makes or some of the same points that have been debated over and over and over on this board so take it for what it is. Although I don't like him his stand is almost everybodies outside the state of Texas. I also find it very interesting how the two callers that agreed with him were HORN FANS!, and I thought I was the only Horn Fan that was critical of Young at the next level.

Hes also got a interview with Charlie and assumes hes taking Bush and goes on another rant and again brings up many views brought up on this board. (he goes a little overboard with the Bush garrantee to the HOF)
(same link)
Can't listen to him. What a putz. Since when did sports stations start authorizing that all radio and TV guys must scream their opinions at people and when they are proven untrue you cry and hang up on people?It is the Stephen A. Smith school of broadcasting. I was listening to Colin one day and they were discussing Davis walking into the stands to protect his wife. Colin kept yelling about how "unmanly" it was and that he isn't a real man, etc. Listeners bombarded him with e-mail about what a moron he was but he wouldn't stop. When he got calls that logically explained a differing view he would get flustered and hang up on them, saying he didn't want to hear it. I haven't listened to him since. These guys with Napoleonic complexes are just annoying.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 02-16-2006 at 01:25 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

cowherd is an !d!ot of the first order.
Old 02-16-2006   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
Can't listen to him. What a putz. Since when did sports stations start authorizing that all radio and TV guys must scream their opinions at people and when they are proven untrue you cry and hang up on people?It is the Stephen A. Smith school of broadcasting. I was listening to Colin one day and they were discussing Davis walking into the stands to protect his wife. Colin kept yelling about how "unmanly" it was and that he isn't a real man, etc. Listeners bombarded him with e-mail about what an ***** he was but he wouldn't stop. When he got calls that logically explained a differing view he would get flustered and hang up on them, saying he didn't want to hear it. I haven't listened to him since. These guys with Napoleonic complexes are just annoying.
That is the same exact opinion I have of him. I think he tries to be like the Shock Jock of sports radio and he doesn't want to except anyone's opinion, but his. I think he does it cause he thinks that will get him listeners. The only reason why I listen to the guy is because in the small Michigan town I got stationed at thats the only sports radio station they have and it comes on during my lunch break.

About a month and a half ago I think Colin was on a holiday vacation and they brought in a stand in for about a week and that guy was very refreshing, intelligent, and brought very good views. I wish I could remember his name.

Having said that I thought it was very interesting that the only Houston Fans that called in were UT fans and they agreed with him.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #5
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

I used to get pissed at collin. But then I realized he does this to get reactions out of people. You guys have to understand he dictates who he puts on the radio. You also have to give your rant to the call in guy before they put you on. So he knows what his callers are going to say. Know I listen to get a good laugh. I listen that day he talked about VY, and I loved it. It was so awesome to listen to him yell at the VY homers. It is pretty rediculous that there are people out there that want to waste the first pick in the draft on a player that the team doesn't need and isn't even the highest rated player. I'm with Collin VY is off my draftboard.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #6
Sudds
Rookie

Guys and Gals:

You may not like Herd, but the guy nailed this segment. Everything he stated was right on. Houston fans need to get over this Hometown hero thing...it makes us sound homerish and unintelligent.

VY had a great game vs. USC...but against a horrible, injury riddled defense. Hello, see the writing on the wall.

And why is he not throwing at the combine? This is the one area that people question. Is he nervous or cocky? This does not look good, especially since Leinart will throw up and down that filed with precision, as will Cutler. Where's VY....in Austin hiding out.

The Herd is correct and shares the same opinion as most of the country. Houston fans are very narrow minded...the rest of the US is a lot smarter than us, or so it appears.
Sudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Today's sports editorialist is akin to a bookie. Get enough people to argue both sides with conviction and reap the residual benefit.
Old 02-16-2006   #8
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

[quote=Sudds]

And why is he not throwing at the combine? This is the one area that people question. Is he nervous or cocky? This does not look good, especially since Leinart will throw up and down that filed with precision, as will Cutler. Where's VY....in Austin hiding out.[quote]

Many players projected in the top of the draft dont go through the individual workouts at the combine. VY has nothing to gain by throwing the ball at the combine so why risk having his stock fall?
Old 02-16-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudds
Guys and Gals:

You may not like Herd, but the guy nailed this segment. Everything he stated was right on. Houston fans need to get over this Hometown hero thing...it makes us sound homerish and unintelligent.

VY had a great game vs. USC...but against a horrible, injury riddled defense. Hello, see the writing on the wall.

And why is he not throwing at the combine? This is the one area that people question. Is he nervous or cocky? This does not look good, especially since Leinart will throw up and down that filed with precision, as will Cutler. Where's VY....in Austin hiding out.

The Herd is correct and shares the same opinion as most of the country. Houston fans are very narrow minded...the rest of the US is a lot smarter than us, or so it appears.
Then I guess you got nothing to worry about. Since VY is hurting himself with ever step he makes in this lead up to the draft, Carr being resigned and Herd having a thrid eye you should be extremely confident that we will not take VY. Why persist in this debate? Move on and join us in other dialogue.
Old 02-16-2006   #10
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

The guy is a total jackass but his opinion (although not delivered very tactfully) is pretty much what most people outside of Texas think.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #11
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
\(although not delivered very tactfully) is pretty much what most people outside of Texas think.

? people like michael wilbon and skip bayless arent in texas and they want VY to go #1.
Old 02-16-2006   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=HardKnockTexan][quote=Sudds]

Quote:

Many players projected in the top of the draft dont go through the individual workouts at the combine. VY has nothing to gain by throwing the ball at the combine so why risk having his stock fall?

Kiper was on 790 this morning..February 16th ..and said VY is actually smart for not throwing. He said it is the most overblown and rediculous argument ever against a guy and that the news must be slow. He said half the guys come in and get weighed and take the tests. VY knows his throwing motion is different and he will see 20 other guys who have a normal motion. that will not change. He is going to have his own interview and workout at Texas. Guys do it yearly. All of this is from Kiper. Non issue.
Old 02-16-2006   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonIsOver
i gotta agree with this Rome clone. --
Please don't insult Rome like that. At least he knows sports. Making fun of bad athletes and callers does not equate to screaming people down and not wanting any opinion that isn't yours. I'd call him a Bayless clone.
Old 02-16-2006   #14
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Cowherd is dead wrong. He used the Indiana Pacers as an example to support his point... hahaha. These are the Pacers that passed on Larry Bird to draft a big man who was traded halfway through his first season.

Leinart isn't throwing. Cowherd uses the Roethlisberger example to illustrate his point... hahaha, he played in the MAC. And he has nothing to prove, so he didn't have to throw at the combine.

Cowherd is now saying he can't handle the pressure. Saying he didn't play that well against OSU (270 passing, 80 rushing). Uh, yeah he hasn't handled the pressure well. Nope, not in the biggest game of Texas football history, not at OSU, not at Oklahoma St. down big.

Now it's Vince Young's fault Texas beats teams by 50.

Unbelievable, the guys is so inaccurate. I want to take a moment to thank all you anti-Vince guys on this board for being more knowledgable and logical than this ESPN radio talking head.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone ever thought about how David's throwing motion was just as bad? I don't think many of us argue over the fact his throwing motion sucks but rather that he just hasn't been able to read defenses for whatever reason.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #16
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
? people like michael wilbon and skip bayless arent in texas and they want VY to go #1.
Almost all the EXPERTS and Scouts have Vince Young have the #2 or #3 Quarterback in this years draft.

I am not saying Vince isn't worth the #1 overall pick in the draft but if he is taken #1 it should not be by the Texans. The Texans should trade down and let someone else take him. But that will never happen as most people see him at the 3rd or 4th best player in the draft.

I honestly won't be surprised if he drops to 4th or 5th. D'Brick is looking very tempting and the NFL is a copycat league and this years Superbowl teams were both built around pocket passers/game managers, a good running game, solid defense and most noticable two GREAT offensive lines.

ps: Hook'em Horns!!!!

I hope Vince goes #1 to the NY Jets and has a long fruitful career and rakes in huge dollars in the NYC market. I hope we get D'Brick, and several other great picks including the Jets #1 pick next year....which is going to be a top 5 pick...maybe even #1 or #2....and we build are self a dynasty ala the cowboys, steelers, and 49ers did in the past with the draft.

Last edited by LBC_Justin; 02-16-2006 at 04:12 PM.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #17
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Cowherd follows a simple pattern for every segment he does:

1) Find a contraversial stance that is for no reason other than to stir the pot.
2) He then warns that he will get calls from _______ fans saying (and now he uses the conan o brien nerd voice) saying "but Colin, you don't understand" he will then use the nerd voice and mock every valid point the people will call in to say.
3) Takes mostly calls that agree with him, and a few that don't
4) Mocks those who don't agree with him.
5) To make sure people know he's cool (when in reality he's one of the nerdiest radio hosts out there) he'll say things like "nah dawg, that's not how it works"

I heard his "Vince Young is afraid" segment, and it was a complete double standard. He says Leinert has nothing to prove because he playts in the Pac 10, but Vince has to prove he could do it because he plays in the Big XII?

It was as moronic as most of the segments he has on his show. He doesn't deserve Kornheisers old spot.

Last edited by Youngstown Colt; 02-16-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #18
kingdee09
Rookie

no no no this guy hear is really pissed me off he's putting vince young down geez man. he straight clowns on VY all that stuff was unnessesary (how ever you spell) plus he was talking about houston like we're nothing but jokes. where just like any other city who would want a hometown hero.

we have an opinion so we gonna say it.......colin is woo man can i hit him in the nose if i see him in the street? jay cutler over vince? damn, he's going to hell lol. jay cutler is a good QB but even close enough to be as good as vince

Last edited by kingdee09; 02-16-2006 at 07:57 PM.
kingdee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #19
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

He's all hat and no cattle. Cowherd's aired down here in South Florida too, on a station that's about as powerful as the FM adapter for my iPod. I listen occasionally. I heard that VY segment too, and I heard an even more *****ic one about Bobby Knight this week. Youngstown, you're EXACTLY right about how he structures every single segment...

What struck me about the Knight segment was how every argument he used about Knight's recent interview meltdown was precisely the opposite of his sad excuses for Ron Artest's misconduct months ago. In the same way, he also took shots at VY for sitting out sections of the combine--something that marquee players do every single year.

Let me add that I'm not in favor of the Texans taking VY. (Won't break my heart if they DO, though!) That said, I don't think Cowherd's opinions are going to be confused with Chris Mortensen or Mel Kiper anytime soon. Uh, dawg.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #20
wrestler4life
Veteran

Do you really think he is that bad???
I love his show. It is the only one I will listen to. I think that he has his bad opinions and/or stances, but he is a good host. Would Mel Kiper actually be such good friends with a guy who sucked.
I think that most of you are just so hurt that he put down your "god" VY that you immediately hate him and everything he stands for.
Maybe I am wrong or way out of line, but it is my opinion.
Take Bush or trade down. Period.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read