Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-15-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tight end?

I don't know what (if any) tight ends will be available in free agency, so what do you guys think the Texans should do? I believe we should draft one of the top 3 or 4 tight ends with our 2nd round pick. Marcellus Rivers didn't really show me much. Maybe he'd be a good back up, but I don't think he's a starter.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I would not use a second round pick on a TE, because there are enough in this draft to get one in the top of the third. In FA I would look at FAs Teyo Johnson and Chris Baker. Those two guys are young and athletic and if we part with Bruener, Murphy, and Rivers one of them plus Joppru and a draft pick is pretty solid. Plus Denver may release Wesley Duke.
Old 02-15-2006   #3
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I beleive this is one neccesity that we really need. I think this holds us back from doing alot. A tight end could really open up some options for carr and also act as another blocker which we need. I think we can go 2nd rd and pull a O-line player and then 3rd rd go after either...Davis TE Maryland or Pope TE Georgia....That is if they get pushed back that far. I doubt it..They may go first or 2nd rd. but IF.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
I beleive this is one neccesity that we really need. I think this holds us back from doing alot. A tight end could really open up some options for carr and also act as another blocker which we need. I think we can go 2nd rd and pull a O-line player and then 3rd rd go after either...Davis TE Maryland or Pope TE Georgia....That is if they get pushed back that far. I doubt it..They may go first or 2nd rd. but IF.
Pope, Davis, and Lewis will all likely be gone in the 1st round. If we don't trade down and acquire extra 2nd round pick(s) I don't want to take a TE that high. If we have two or more 2nds then I'm ok with us getting a TE in the 2nd round as long as he's a good value there and we're not reaching for one. I think getting T.J. Williams in the 3rd would be a great addition though.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #5
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

TJ williams would be a nice pick up. I also like Day though from Oregon but he will probably go 2nd rd.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #6
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I don't know what (if any) tight ends will be available in free agency, so what do you guys think the Texans should do? I believe we should draft one of the top 3 or 4 tight ends with our 2nd round pick. Marcellus Rivers didn't really show me much. Maybe he'd be a good back up, but I don't think he's a starter.
I'm not sure if we should use one in the 2nd round. I suppose it all depends on how Joppru works out. If he can stay fit he could be the franchise TE we thought when we drafted the guy. (I cant remember what round but I thought it was fairly high).

We do need that TE but maybe there are pressing needs.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #7
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Joppru was a 2nd round pick

IMO Joppru and Hollings both should be gone this year - Charlie has had a horrible second round thus far with the Texans. 4 years of drafting and only 1 starter on the current roster.

2nd rnd picks

1st year - Gaffney
2nd Year - Joppru & Hollings
3rd year - Traded w/Tenn
4th Year - Traded for Pbuc
5th year - ???
Old 02-15-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
Joppru was a 2nd round pick

IMO Joppru and Hollings both should be gone this year - Charlie has had a horrible second round thus far with the Texans. 4 years of drafting and only 1 starter on the current roster.

2nd rnd picks

1st year - Gaffney
2nd Year - Joppru & Hollings
3rd year - Traded w/Tenn
4th Year - Traded for Pbuc
5th year - ???
I guess you don't consider Chester Pitts (2002) a starter?
Old 02-15-2006   #9
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
TJ williams would be a nice pick up. I also like Day though from Oregon but he will probably go 2nd rd.
Williams is too inconsistent, but Day has my vote for most underrated TE in the draft. Either him or Anthony Fasano in the 3rd.
Old 02-15-2006   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

how about joe klopfenstein from colorado in the 3rd round...i don't see us using a 1st or 2nd round on a TE...but a 3rd or a 4th rounder isn't out of the question...funny thing is we could wait til the 4th rounder on a guy and he'll probably come out OTA's as the starter...tells you how bad our current TE's are
Old 02-15-2006   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I guess you don't consider Chester Pitts (2002) a starter?

He's more of a game ender.
Old 02-15-2006   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think everyone knows my take on the TE position.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #13
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

I'd take Vernon Davis with a mid-1st (assuming trade obviously)
I'd take Leonard Pope with #33.
I'd take Marcedes Lewis with a late-2nd.
I'd take Dominique Byrd, Joel Klopfstein or Tony Fasano with #65/#66
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #14
Xman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01
I'd take Vernon Davis with a mid-1st (assuming trade obviously)
I'd take Leonard Pope with #33.
I'd take Marcedes Lewis with a late-2nd.
I'd take Dominique Byrd, Joel Klopfstein or Tony Fasano with #65/#66
Ditto

And, I will add that the TE position really needs to be addressed if we want to find out if Carr can cut it.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #15
kingdee09
Rookie

Quote:
For the FA's i would try to pick up Billy Miller once more, he was very effective playing for us and he's def. an offensive threat.

For the Texans Second Pick i would go for David Thomas. He's not a Very big TE standing at 6'3" but hes def. a great choice of TE in the draft.
kingdee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Next year I bet TE is not a problema.

Personally, I think a lot of our TE woes have been less personnel issues and more due to:

1. The protection schemes we have been running on offense.
2. The desire to get the ball to AJ/DD. If DD is used a lot as your safety valve, and AJ is getting a lot of the dink passes attempting to get YAC, you are not going to have fat TE stats, no matter who you have playing at TE.

Rivers showed some promise near the end of the season, I thought.

Under the new system and with Brian Pariani as coach, the TE position will have a greater priority, it won't be so much of an afterthought position. If they think that the current TEs can't work out, they will get somebody new to fill the spot. I do think just the change of scheme will make the TE position look better.

So much of last year was focused on trying to get AJ the ball more (oops-dint help when he got hurt) and protecting David Carr that they whiffed on the overall offense working together--getting a non-predictable offense that can get the ball down the field and makes sense.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Go TE in FA. Carr will be much better just from Kubiak being aboard and we still do not know about Joppru or what we can get in FA for a value. OL and Defense is where the draft should be focused on solely. TE can be a focus in the draft the following year in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2006   #18
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd go with Dominique Byrd in the 3rd round.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #19
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think a lot will depend on if the Texans can trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd. They might look to do so then, but I would think maybe looking at Fasano in the 3rd could be an idea. With the other needs this season I'd rather see them try and upgrade during FA and hopefully get to see what Joppru can do. I thought Rivers showed a little at the end of the year.
Old 02-15-2006   #20
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get A New QB
i go with david thomas in the 2nd round
AMEN! david thomas could easily become david carr's new best friend!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read