Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Vince Young has NO class

I will probably get bashed for making this post, but here goes anyway.

If the Texans are looking to keep their "high class" player image they DO NOT want Vince Young. I have really tried to like the guy, but he keeps making me hate him.

1) During his pro announcement he REPEATED over and over how he need to "cash in" on this opportunity. Not to mention the guy can could not even speak proper English and shows up to make the biggest decision of his life with a crooked hat and baggy sweat shirt on.

2) He then immediately starting "cashing in" by charging $80 for non personalized autographs and charged an extra $100 for a picture with him.

OK so even if you overlook those 2 acts and blame it on a bad PR manager or immaturity, what he did yesterday really did it in for me.

The Texas Longhorns are invited to THE WHITE HOUSE to meet THE PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES. As the camera scrolls on CNN all the players are wearing very nice suits and ties until it gets to Vince Young. Vince is wearing some baggy jeans with some tennis shoes and a hoodie sweat shirt.

Who does this guy think he is? Have some repect for your elders, your peers, and most of all the country you live in which is about to let you make MILLIONS of dollars for someone who could not even pass their S.A.T. test.

I DO NOT want this guy as the face of our franchise.
Old 02-15-2006   #2
Frills
Veteran

Couldn't agree more,

thug is not professional dress, he wants to be a pro act it, or enter the NBA draft and play with Iverson
Old 02-15-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we throw him in the river...if he floats he is made of wood...then we should burn him.

The problem with the Texans is they are too worried about the "face of the franchise" and need to find some real football players....mean, nasty and all that 'punch you in the mouth' stuff that comes with real football players. I'm more worried about how they play on the field and not how they look in GQ.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 02-15-2006   #4
Frills
Veteran

13 suits and 1 pair of Jeans with sweatshirt in the pic...least he knew to remove his crookedass hat
Old 02-15-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I say we throw him in the river...if he floats he is made of wood...then we should burn him.
Very small rocks... Anybody know where we can get a duck?

Completely aside from who this player is (i.e. I don't think this is unique or particular to VY but is more a societal thing), kids should be taught and expected to act in accordance with some standards of appropriate conduct. I didn't like it when whatever women's team (softball I think) half showed up to the Whitehouse in flip-flops and I don't like it that VY can't be bothered to wear one of the very nice suits someone gave him to wear to the awards ceremonies and the draft. It is disrespectful, but it is more a reflection on these kids parents and society than them.
Old 02-15-2006   #6
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

VY has a thing about not bending to the what society says he should bend toward. I understand a certain amount of militants and irreverence and as long as VY does not cross that line and begin to embarass the struggle I will be happy to see the guy from around my way do his thing. I think he may need to have a talk with his publicist and become more marketable to white society other than Austin and UT men and women, but right now he is really beginning to cater to that MTV crowd so do your thing. This thread does border a bit on that fine line though.
Old 02-15-2006   #7
Frills
Veteran

it has been stated about him getting away from the gang issues he had here when he was younger...if he were to sign an NFL contract here, everyone from his past will be trying to get a piece of him...could be a distraction.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
it has been stated about him getting away from the gang issues he had here when he was younger...if he were to sign an NFL contract here, everyone from his past will be trying to get a piece of him...could be a distraction.
Hey half the forum want's Ray Lewis too...and he was in a car with men who killed someone in an alley. Young dresses badly and we bash him. I get it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 02-15-2006   #9
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
Couldn't agree more,

thug is not professional dress, he wants to be a pro act it, or enter the NBA draft and play with Iverson

gig' em?
Old 02-15-2006   #10
Frills
Veteran

In everyline of work you have to bend to what society wants, its called being professional.

This would be against the NBA dresscode.

There's a difference between being an individual and being respectful...VY doesn't know it.

What fly's in the liberal slanted Austin won't fly in the professional world
Old 02-15-2006   #11
Frills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
gig' em?
Boomer, but its completely beside the point. OU has had 3 QB come out that ran the spread, none were worth a damn in the NFL. Thats the difference, most fans know that someone can be great in college but not the NFL, UT fans haven't figured it out.
Old 02-15-2006   #12
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

But when Bush singled him out, Brown admitted: “He didn’t bring his suit.” Later Brown said a relative failed to get it to Young, who has been traveling.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/13872399.htm

all this fuss over flipflops and a missing suit....
Old 02-15-2006   #13
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

WOW, this thead is truly something else.
Old 02-15-2006   #14
Tex-fan0604
Rookie

Quote:
Hey half the forum want's Ray Lewis too...and he was in a car with men who killed someone in an alley. Young dresses badly and we bash him. I get it.
I agree with you .People are now bashing on VY because he doesnt dress to their standards.I really dont care how someone dresses as long as they get it done on the field.Yall people are just haters.I dont see yall supporting DC for having class.Yall keep saying he(DC) has no leadership skills but yet he does all the proper things like showing class and yall still hate on him.
Old 02-15-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The problem with the Texans is they are too worried about the "face of the franchise" and need to find some real football players....mean, nasty and all that 'punch you in the mouth' stuff that comes with real football players. I'm more worried about how they play on the field and not how they look in GQ.
yeah, imagine that...we might actually have a *gasp!* winning season if we got some smashmouth players.

I'm amazed at the length people will go to bash a player. Dislike him for his on-field performance, but c'mon, dissing a guy over what he wears?! What are we, fashion police?

"Professional" world? As in "corporate" world? Sorry, dude, these guys are FOOTBALL players, not executives, and I'm not buying into this "no class" business.

I'm not a Young homer/hater. I just find takes like this a bit distasteful.
Old 02-15-2006   #16
Frills
Veteran

FYI Mack can send him somewhere and get him a suit, it no longer violates NCAA rules.

Glad he's making good decisions on who to let handle everyday affairs
Old 02-15-2006   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

If you go to the White House, you wear a suit. I'm sorry, but you should respect the President regardless of your political affiliations. He had no problem wearing a suit to the Heisman ceremony and college football awards. And if he realized that he didn't have a suit while he was in Washington, he could have bought one. There are tons of stores and malls in the DC metro area, and he would have no problem buying a suit to wear to the White House.
Old 02-15-2006   #18
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari
But when Bush singled him out, Brown admitted: “He didn’t bring his suit.” Later Brown said a relative failed to get it to Young, who has been traveling.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/13872399.htm

all this fuss over flipflops and a missing suit....

still, its the idea of it all. you have to have the respect for the place and person you're seeing. there is no way that, once he got there, he couldn't have gotten a suit in D.C. somewhere. he's a great althelte but his class really comes into question with this. oh, and when i saw the thing in the newpaper about him charging $100 for a picture, i almost choked on my toast. guy could really use some lessons in humility.
Old 02-15-2006   #19
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a 'draft young' supporter.....but this thread is just getting nutty.
Old 02-15-2006   #20
Frills
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
yeah, imagine that...we might actually have a *gasp!* winning season if we got some smashmouth players.

I'm amazed at the length people will go to bash a player. Dislike him for his on-field performance, but c'mon, dissing a guy over what he wears?! What are we, fashion police?

"Professional" world? As in "corporate" world? Sorry, dude, these guys are FOOTBALL players, not executives, and I'm not buying into this "no class" business.

I'm not a Young homer/hater. I just find takes like this a bit distasteful.
I view it as distasteful and not respecting our government/country by not making damn sure everything is in order when visiting the White House. The volleyball team that wore flipflops is in the same league.

Look at the youth of today, most need a good thwack to the head to teach them some class and how to conduct themselves.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read