Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2006   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Young NOT to throw at combine

from www.kffl.com

NCAA | Young may skip throwing at the NFL Combine
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:27:19 -0800

Chip Brown, of the Dallas Morning News, reports Texas QB Vince Young may not throw at the NFL Combine, according to agent Major Adams. Adams, who stated last month that Young would throw for teams at the NFL combine beginning next week, now says Young may not throw and instead may only interview with teams. When asked why it might not be a good thing for Young to throw at the combine, Adams replied, "Unfamiliar surroundings, unfamiliar receivers." The NFL combine in Indianapolis begins Feb. 22. Young said during a public appearance on Saturday at The Galleria in Houston that he plans to interview with teams and "probably throw a little bit."

This just keeps getting more and more muddeled.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

It should be expected though right. I mean he is considered a top 10 pick and most of the time they do not workout at the combine. So Vince will throw at the UT pro day were Sneed and his other receivers can make him look better. Smart move on his part.
Old 02-13-2006   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with you Coach C. I'm just curious to hear what those who were signing his prasies for saying he would throw at the combine will say now.

And before I get labeled a hater, I think is the right/smart move on VY's part; and Bush shouldn't run the 40 at the combine either.
Old 02-14-2006   #4
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

I'm sure neither of them will do any type of workout although it'd be a breath of fresh air if they did something, anything.
Old 02-14-2006   #5
BlueThunder
Veteran

Vince don't have to throw.I'm satisfied with his arm.Ive seen him throw a 60 yarder and hit his receiver in stride to many times to not know.I'm not talking Leinart and his receivers having slow down or speed up and fight for the ball.You just keep thinking Vince can't thow the football.I want the team that wants Vince to have him.Leinart throws good within 20 yards and has a strong arm but hes inconsistant.I hardly ever see Vince throw a bad pass in a game when he gets focused.If I was a coach and got Vince i'd start him day one.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-14-2006 at 03:30 AM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #6
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Okay personally i think that its a good move but on the other hand i think it shows what type of mind frame he is in at the same time..

I mean people are saying well its a good move to not throw at the combine because its not his UT recievers that he used to.. guess what??

When he gets to the NFL Sweed and Taylor wont be on his team and there he has a 1 and 32 shot of having his favorite target his TE from UT to throw to.. So he will be throwing to people he is not used to so he needs to get himself acclimated to throwing to a Drew Bennett or a Joe Horn because that's who he's most likely going to be throwing to when he hits the NFL..

This is just another example of people babying Vince Young.. first Mack Brown now this whole not throwing at the combine.. Thats my personal opinion so go ahead flame on..
Old 02-14-2006   #7
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 16 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Bush and Young really shouldn't be expected to do anything at the combine other than interview (like they haven't already done that anyway).
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder
Vince don't have to throw.I'm satisfied with his arm.Ive seen him throw a 60 yarder and hit his receiver in stride to many times to not know.I'm not talking Leinart and his receivers having slow down or speed up and fight for the ball.You just keep thinking Vince can't thow the football.I want the team that wants Vince to have him.Leinart throws good within 20 yards and has a strong arm but hes inconsistant.I hardly ever see Vince throw a bad pass in a game when he gets focused.If I was a coach and got Vince i'd start him day one.
Leinart has far superior accuracy and touch on his passes than Vince. Leinart's arm isn't overly strong but neither is Vince's, and Vince rarely hit a WR in stride on deep balls, they generally looked more like Michael Vick's desperate heave to Fitzgerald in the Pro-Bowl, and like Fitzgerald, UT's WRs went up and made plays on it more often than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
Okay personally i think that its a good move but on the other hand i think it shows what type of mind frame he is in at the same time..

I mean people are saying well its a good move to not throw at the combine because its not his UT recievers that he used to.. guess what??

When he gets to the NFL Sweed and Taylor wont be on his team and there he has a 1 and 32 shot of having his favorite target his TE from UT to throw to.. So he will be throwing to people he is not used to so he needs to get himself acclimated to throwing to a Drew Bennett or a Joe Horn because that's who he's most likely going to be throwing to when he hits the NFL..

This is just another example of people babying Vince Young.. first Mack Brown now this whole not throwing at the combine.. Thats my personal opinion so go ahead flame on..
I don't know how much of it is babying Vince, most of the top players don't do many of the drills at the combine. I would prefer to see everyone do all the drills so you can compare guys all running/throwing/whatever on the same surface, under the same conditions, with the same people watching/timing. However, I do understand with some guys how running/throwing can only hurt their draft stock and why they wouldn't want to do it. The top QBs would rather throw to their guys who are more used to catching their balls and who have good timing with the QB, sure it would be nice to see them throw against strangers since when they first get to the NFL they will be starting from scratch with whatever WRs they have on their new team. However, in the NFL they will get to practice with their guys and will hopefully develop a rhythm with them, and since they are trying to improve their draft stock I can see why they would prefer to just work out at their own school under familiar environment, especially when it's someone like Vince, Leinart, or Reggie and they know every team will come to their pro day anyways. For some lesser-known players the combine is their main opportunity to showcase themselves and improve their draft stock, some guys don't have anything to really gain by it so they will opt out of working out there.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 02-14-2006 at 10:45 AM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think this is a smart move. I don't think he should have participated in that other activity last week either. The lasting impression that Young wants for everyone is the National Championship Game.
Old 02-14-2006   #10
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Um i think you have Leinart and Vince mixed up.

Leinart is the one who is known as "Mr. Consistant" and has thrown plenty of long balls. But neither has great arm strength but both can get the job done.
(You sure your a Texans fan or a Vince Young fan?)

Anyways back on topic.

When you are a top 1, 2 or 3 pick you usually have one place to go, and that is down. So the smart play is to rest on your college accomplishments. VY will rest on that amazing Rose Bowl performance and let scouts look at that if they want to see how he plays. Which is a VERY smart move. I expect Bush and Leinart will the exact same thing, as they should.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I think this is a smart move. I don't think he should have participated in that other activity last week either. The lasting impression that Young wants for everyone is the National Championship Game.
I would tend to agree with you here. He should definitely work out at his pro day though, maybe run the 40 to prove how fast he is and definitely do other QB drills and passing drills to prove (or attempt to prove) to his doubters that he can make the NFL throws and solidify his top 3 pick.
Old 02-14-2006   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Agreed. He should do Pro Day drills. Since it is on his own campus in his own elements, he can script what he wants to do instead of having it scripted for him.
Old 02-14-2006   #13
Htown34s
Veteran

It would be a mistake, IMO, to not throw. Maybe he is planning on throwing at his pro day at UT only based on the "unfamiliar" comment.

It looks like the Texans will pass on him, so VY needs to show he can throw since that is the biggest citicism against him. Maybe they believe he won't last past the Titans or Jets no matter what.
Old 02-14-2006   #14
Frills
Veteran

Mabye all the All star game commentating, and public appearances have him not in the best shape to throw and he needs some more time.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Leinart has far superior accuracy and touch on his passes than Vince. Leinart's arm isn't overly strong but neither is Vince's, and Vince rarely hit a WR in stride on deep balls, they generally looked more like Michael Vick's desperate heave to Fitzgerald in the Pro-Bowl, and like Fitzgerald, UT's WRs went up and made plays on it more often than not.
Wow...... BlueThunder tells you what he's seen, and you bring up Lienart. Wow.

Vince did the All-Star thing last week, and it turned out Okay. I don't remember every detail, but I think he got beat out in one area...... I'm sure his agent got on him about the numerous ways that hurt his "stock" If he doesn't throw at the Combine, I'm sure that would be the reason.

Personally, I like his confidence to go out and do the All Start challenge. I'd like for him to go out and work out in the combine, he still might... I understand that generally he can only hurt himself, but if I'm an NFL type who can & will be making personell decisions, I definitely wouldn't grade anything at the combine, or Senior day with any weight comparable to the work he's done in real games, with real opponents, real fans, real national attention. But that's me.
Old 02-14-2006   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

Vince did the All-Star thing last week, and it turned out Okay. I don't remember every detail, but I think he got beat out in one area...... I'm sure his agent got on him about the numerous ways that hurt his "stock" If he doesn't throw at the Combine, I'm sure that would be the reason.

Personally, I like his confidence to go out and do the All Start challenge. I'd like for him to go out and work out in the combine, he still might... I understand that generally he can only hurt himself, but if I'm an NFL type who can & will be making personell decisions, I definitely wouldn't grade anything at the combine, or Senior day with any weight comparable to the work he's done in real games, with real opponents, real fans, real national attention. But that's me.
If his agent was so worried about hurting VY's tock then he should NOT have compete with a bunch of day 2 QBs, and not blowing them out of the water. I also cannot believe that VY competed in a celibiry basketball game during the Super Bowl.

Of all teh guys being debated for a top picks VY will probaly have the weakest workout. That's not a knock, just that his game does not translate to teh numbers generated at the combine and other owrkouts. He should be able to taylor his Pro Day workout to showcase what he does best.

I'm still woried about the advice he is receiving from his management team, and I hope his agent knows that during this time of teh year teams are looking for reasons not to draft people.

Didn't Sporting News last mock have VY going tenth?
Old 02-14-2006   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

I think vince young should throw at the combine. We need to see how he operates in unfamiliar surroundings. we know that he could throw to the UT recievers, but what about to other randoms. i think the fact that he's not throwing shows us his lack of confidence in his own throwing abilities.

Last edited by powerfuldragon; 02-14-2006 at 12:52 PM.
powerfuldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston

every top QB does this, it's nothing to do with vince young.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #19
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
we know that he could throw to the UT recievers, but what about to other randoms.
Can we have him throwing to Andre Johnson?
Old 02-14-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Quote:
He brought up Leinart first and said that Vince throws a better deep ball than Leinart, and I gave my opinion on it, not sure what the problem is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haams
Can we have him throwing to Andre Johnson?
That will likely happen if Vince is invited in for a workout with the Texans, they will bring out their WRs to see how well they work together.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read