Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-11-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Once in a lifetime athlete

Quote:
He didn't win the Heisman Trophy, even though many thought he deserved it.

But this quarterback didn't need that award to prove his worth, not after dazzling the college football world and NFL scouts with his uncanny athletic ability.

"He is a once-in-a-lifetime athlete,'' said Dave Te' Thomas of The NFL Draft Report. "No one in the NFL can hold a candle to this kid. He is the prototype quarterback of the future. Twenty years from now, we'll be sitting up in Canton (Ohio at the Pro Football Hall of Fame) where he's dusting off his bust.''

Vince Young?

Nope, although many experts are saying similar things about the University of Texas quarterback leading up to the April 29-30 NFL Draft.

Those words were uttered in 1994 to describe Steve McNair, who was in his final season at Alcorn State.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....602100430/1027

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #2
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Default Give it a rest

Vince Young is a great player, but let's see what he does in the NFL, I highly think the UT's schedule was even close to playing in the NFL with the best of the best, who knows Reggie Bush might be a bust, or Vince Young might come out of the draft and tear his acl first play of the game, he lacks displine that why M. Vick is lacking a superbowl ring. we'll see what the future hold's for this great player of the ages....
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He didn't win the Heisman Trophy, even though many thought he deserved it.

---------------

Those words were uttered in 1994 to describe Steve McNair, who was in his final season at Alcorn State.
wow...it's amazing how much Young's career mirrors McNair's. Right down to playing for the Titans, too!

Young is an amazing talent, and I'd be stoked if he was on my team. Match his potential up with a creative offensive coach, and the highlight reels and wins would probably pile up quickly.

Alas...it twas not to be. Our team's destiny seems to be headed towards a different path. So I suppose we should make the best of it and look forward to the great things that will happen on this different course. [/optimism]

GO TEXANS!
Old 02-12-2006   #4
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

It is amazing how much changes in a little over 10 years. McNair was consisdered a once in a lifetime athlete back then, what would people have thought of Mike Vick or Reggie Bush back then?
Old 02-12-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
wow...it's amazing how much Young's career mirrors McNair's. Right down to playing for the Titans, too!

Young is an amazing talent, and I'd be stoked if he was on my team. Match his potential up with a creative offensive coach, and the highlight reels and wins would probably pile up quickly.

Alas...it twas not to be. Our team's destiny seems to be headed towards a different path. So I suppose we should make the best of it and look forward to the great things that will happen on this different course. [/optimism]

GO TEXANS!
I agree with you DB. I thought it was a well done article and the similarities are close.. As a Texan fan, I'd love to have VY but I know that until we get some "uglies" on the line and pass blocking becomes better we'd hinder the progress of any QB we put back behind them. As an NFL fan,I'd like to see McNair (Steve) take this kid under his wings and teach him and help him grow at the next level.. I'd hate to see him twice a year, but hey, it would be some interesting battles
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #6
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Great find! I think people forget just how fast and mobile McNair was when he entered the league. He's evolved into a solid pocket passer as he's gotten older.

I wonder where McNair will be playing next season?
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #7
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

In the words of the famous tv show from way back,
"You bet your sweet bippee" Vince is gonna play for the Titans and mirror or surpass McNair!
Say hello to President Bush, Texans fans!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2006   #8
BlueThunder
Veteran

If the Titans get Vince it won't be a battle,it will be a SLAUGHTER twice a year!How you like staying on the bottom,huh?

Will be drafting the next ten years to stop him and have to carry 2 of the best CBs in the league..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-12-2006 at 06:07 PM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Vince Young is a great player, but let's see what he does in the NFL, I highly think the UT's schedule was even close to playing in the NFL with the best of the best, who knows Reggie Bush might be a bust, or Vince Young might come out of the draft and tear his acl first play of the game, he lacks displine that why M. Vick is lacking a superbowl ring. we'll see what the future hold's for this great player of the ages....
But Alcorn State played Semi Pro Teams???

What about Ole Miss?? did they play Semi Pro teams?? NFL Europe?? Canadian Football league??

What about Michagan?? I know they played NFL caliber Defenses in the NCAA.

USC?? I'm sure USC played Pro level players.... Almost as good as the defenses Fresno state played.

I think we need to give that argument a rest..... big time.

M. Vick took his sorry team to the NFC championship Game.... Yeah they had a defense, but he was a big part of their wins.

Remember a few years back, when the Bucs QB went down, and Shawn King came in and played well for a few games?? Poise....... I got so tired of hearing that word. Poise..... when Vince starts playing, get ready to hear it.... a lot.
Old 02-12-2006   #10
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
M. Vick took his sorry team to the NFC championship Game.... Yeah they had a defense, but he was a big part of their wins.
Yeah, he was very effective in handing the ball off and not throwing interceptions. Very big part, indeed...
Old 02-12-2006   #11
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
But Alcorn State played Semi Pro Teams???
I am either confused or just tired. Where in the quote for this response does it say anything about Alcorn State playing semi-pro teams???
Old 02-12-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
I am either confused or just tired. Where in the quote for this response does it say anything about Alcorn State playing semi-pro teams???
Well, that was in response to someone saying that UT didn't play against NFL caliber Defenses. My response was along the lines, that Alcorn State(the school McNair went to before he was drafted by the Oilers) didn't play NFL style Defenses.

Same with the schools that Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, and a whole bunch of other NFL quarterbacks who have come and gone, succeeded and failed, dominated, and had been dominated.
Old 02-12-2006   #13
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Well, that was in response to someone saying that UT didn't play against NFL caliber Defenses. My response was along the lines, that Alcorn State(the school McNair went to before he was drafted by the Oilers) didn't play NFL style Defenses.

Same with the schools that Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, and a whole bunch of other NFL quarterbacks who have come and gone, succeeded and failed, dominated, and had been dominated.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read