Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-11-2006   #1
dcarey20
Veteran

Default Overrated/Underrated

underrated:
Jerome Harrison, RB, Washington State: he is said to be a 5th rounder, mostly because of size, but he put up great numbers in the pac-10

Drew Olson, QB, UCLA: very productive in college as well, and he has good size at 6'3" 225

Dontrelle Moore, RB, New Mexico: he would be a 2nd-3rd rounder in any other draft in my opinion, but because of the good depth at RB, he looks like a 4th-6th

Dominique Byrd, TE, USC: he is a very athletic tight end, and he has been overlooked in this draft by his offensive teammates leinart, bush, and white. he is the #2 TE on my board behind Vernon Davis. he didnt have great stats because of all the weapons that USC has.

overrated:
Dwayne Slay, S, Texas Tech:i know this is everyone's favorite sleeper pick, and everyone want the texans to get him, but i think he is a tad bit overrated. dont get me wrong, he can hit, and he is still a good prospect with good potential, i just dont think he is as great as everyone thinks. i still like him, just a little too much hype.

Demeco Ryans, LB, Alabama: he was a great college player, but i just dont think he has the athletic ability to be great at the next level. he will still be a decent player, but not a dominant force. i dont believe he is worth of a first round pick.
dcarey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

UNDERRATED
Taurean Henderson, RB, Texas Tech - reminds me alot of Brian Westbrook because of his shiftiness, quickness, and receiving ability. A lot of people question if he can fit in a traditional offense and I feel he cant. Struggles near the goaline, but is amazing in open field.

Stanley McClover, DE, Auburn - Ended the 2005 season with 13.5 TFLs, 8 sacks, 4 QB hurries, and 3 PBUs (lead Auburn in sacks and TFL). Has good size at 6'3" 260 and is an amazing pass rusher. He has a huge bag of tricks and finds any way possible to get to the QB. He also has the speed and agility to be an LB, but has the size of a DE. Many question his size, but he hits with a force and is good at getting low. The few questions people have about him are mainly his size, his inexperience (left a year early), and his ability against the run (but I feel that his 13.5 TFLs is a good inicator that he's better than expected).

Tim Day, TE, Oregon - Huge TE (6'4" 270) with LOTS of potential. A productive pass catcher who can line up in the slot. Has soft hands and is good working in the middle of the field. He's also a good blocker and does a good job locking his man up. He lacks intensity, but at TE, thats not a hmajor concern and is something that can be worked on. Has the talent, but needs to be developed.

Jason Avant, WR, Michigan - Very agressive WR who fights for every yard he can get. Has good size and decent speed, but runs great routes. Wont drop passes and is a hard worker. He wont be the gamebreaker for you, but he does what he's supposed to and then some.
Old 02-11-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
UNDERRATED

Jason Avant, WR, Michigan - Very agressive WR who fights for every yard he can get. Has good size and decent speed, but runs great routes. Wont drop passes and is a hard worker. He wont be the gamebreaker for you, but he does what he's supposed to and then some.
A tad off topic, but I played with Michigan in NCAA 06. Avant was my favorite reciever. Anyway, if the texans drafted him, he would have a role similar to Armstrong.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #4
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
A tad off topic, but I played with Michigan in NCAA 06. Avant was my favorite reciever. Anyway, if the texans drafted him, he would have a role similar to Armstrong.
Agree on the similarity. Avant seems to be a lot more agressive however. I saw him in the Alamo Bowl this past year and he was fiery as hell. He blocked real well and pissed alot of DBs off. He isnt a deep threat (probably runs a solid 4.5), but is great working in the middle running intermediate routes.

another WR thats severly underrated is MIKE HASS. He has decent size but isnt a burner, aka theres nothing real special about him. However, he's a very smart player and allways finds a way to get open and past DBs. He'll slip at the combine because he isnt not a workout warrior, but he'll shine in live drills. I'd call him a combo of Drew Bennett (minus the size), and Brandon Stokely.
Old 02-12-2006   #5
BlueThunder
Veteran

As the combine comes and goes the talent will surface.I like Tim Days size but his production is not what it needs to be.His blocking isn't that good and he will be a reach.It will take atleast 2 years to develope him and will see him at the combine..I would take Robert Royal in FA he has the numbers and could be a great signing at mid level blocking TE wink wink.Washingtons been developing him for me for a while.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #6
BlueThunder
Veteran

As the combine comes and goes the talent will surface.I like Tim Days size but his production is not what it needs to be.His blocking isn't that good and he will be a reach.It will take atleast 2 years to develope him and will see him at the combine..I would take Robert Royal in FA he has the numbers and could be a great signing at mid level blocking TE wink wink.I'd still draft A top TE every team needs 2 and Royal fits that mold but add a little something.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I'll throw one out there on the underrated side:
T.J. Williams, TE, N.C. State - I've mentioned him in a couple other posts and he's my emerging dark horse TE that I think will end up being a beast. He has pretty good size (only 6'2" but weighed 261 at Senior Bowl), good strength (supposed to bench press 500+ lbs.) and good speed (supposed to run a 4.48 40), and he had pretty good hands at the Senior Bowl. I don't know a whole lot about his blocking skills but with that strength he should be a great blocker at TE, even if it requires a little teaching.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2006   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Like alot of the guys mentioned. Definately a fan of T.J. Williams. I am gonna post an overated guy.

A.J. Hawk- No doubt the guy can play and he will do well in the NFL, but the comparisons to some of the beastly LBs like Arrington and Urlacher have this guys stock way above his potential. I think he is gonna have a great NFL career, but he will never be one of those size, speed, strength freaks.
Old 02-12-2006   #9
bdiddy
Veteran

Unhappy

Overrated:

Vince Young: He is not an immediate savior and should not be protrayed as one. VY will be a quality NFL player, but I am a little tired of everyone already getting the yellow jacket ready in Canton.

Reggie Bush: He too will be a good NFL player, but not as John McClain early proclaimed pre-Rose Bowl, "one of the best players in the history of the NFL draft."

Underrated:

Greg Enslinger - Minnesota center who Kiper now has as going on the second day. He is undersized (290) for most schemes, not Kubiak's, and played in the zone blocking scheme in college. This guy could step in on his first day and start at center. We could get him in the 4th round, this would be a hell of a lot cheaper then McKinney or Bentley.

Mario Williams: This only applies in Houston because everywhere else around the country people realize this guy is a freak.
Old 02-12-2006   #10
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
Overrated:

Vince Young: He is not an immediate savior and should not be protrayed as one. VY will be a quality NFL player, but I am a little tired of everyone already getting the yellow jacket ready in Canton.

Reggie Bush: He too will be a good NFL player, but not as John McClain early proclaimed pre-Rose Bowl, "one of the best players in the history of the NFL draft."
PLEASE don't turn this into another Bush vs. Young thread, we have too many of those. In fact, I motion that Bush and Young be kept from this thread entirely.
Old 02-12-2006   #11
bdiddy
Veteran

Agreed!

Sorry, I am a Homer
Old 02-12-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
A.J. Hawk- No doubt the guy can play and he will do well in the NFL, but the comparisons to some of the beastly LBs like Arrington and Urlacher have this guys stock way above his potential. I think he is gonna have a great NFL career, but he will never be one of those size, speed, strength freaks.
And at the same time, I'm seeing in different places that Chad Greenway from Iowa, another OLB like Hawk, is moving up in the ratings because he may very well be more athletic and faster than Hawk and could ultimately be off
the Board before A.J. on Draft day in April.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #13
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Underrated- Aaron Harris, MLB UT. Anchored one of the best college defenses, solid tackler. Not well know because of the other players on his team, but should be a solid 4th round pick-up, depending on his combine numbers.
Old 02-12-2006   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Nun Greenway is starting to show some of that freak type potential, which could move him into the top 10. On some mocks I have seen him go as high as San Fran at 7. It should be an interesting combine with these two guys competing. Just like Run-david-run I am gonna throw in an underrated.

Rocky McIntosh- 3rd-4th round pick, has not had alot of exposure, but played on one of the best defenses in the nation. He translates to the NFL well and his size and athleticism has many comparing him to a poor man's Vilma. He is my pick for the 4th.
Old 02-12-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nun Greenway is starting to show some of that freak type potential, which could move him into the top 10. On some mocks I have seen him go as high as San Fran at 7. It should be an interesting combine with these two guys competing. Just like Run-david-run I am gonna throw in an underrated.

Rocky McIntosh- 3rd-4th round pick, has not had alot of exposure, but played on one of the best defenses in the nation. He translates to the NFL well and his size and athleticism has many comparing him to a poor man's Vilma. He is my pick for the 4th.
I agree on McIntosh. He is very athleticly gifted.

I will throw out another MLB sleeper: Nick Reid, 6th-7th rounder. Stud MLB on an average team. Excells at run stuffing, and holds his own everywhere else. He is all of the field and loves to hit and make plays.
Old 02-12-2006   #16
uteric3232
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Underrated- Aaron Harris, MLB UT. Anchored one of the best college defenses, solid tackler. Not well know because of the other players on his team, but should be a solid 4th round pick-up, depending on his combine numbers.
He got snubbed by the combine...he was not invited
uteric3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #17
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I'll throw one out there on the underrated side:
T.J. Williams, TE, N.C. State - I've mentioned him in a couple other posts and he's my emerging dark horse TE that I think will end up being a beast. He has pretty good size (only 6'2" but weighed 261 at Senior Bowl), good strength (supposed to bench press 500+ lbs.) and good speed (supposed to run a 4.48 40), and he had pretty good hands at the Senior Bowl. I don't know a whole lot about his blocking skills but with that strength he should be a great blocker at TE, even if it requires a little teaching.
He's a horrible blocker against the run and worse against the pass. The problem I have with this guy is he is extremely inconsistent which is not something we need. He's athletic, but compared to guys like Lewis and Davis, he's only average.
Old 02-12-2006   #18
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I agree on McIntosh. He is very athleticly gifted.

I will throw out another MLB sleeper: Nick Reid, 6th-7th rounder. Stud MLB on an average team. Excells at run stuffing, and holds his own everywhere else. He is all of the field and loves to hit and make plays.
YTF where is Nick Reid from so I can watch the tape of the kid.
Old 02-12-2006   #19
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
I think he played for Kansas.
Old 02-12-2006   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nick Reid is a MLB from Kansas.

He has a lot of nice awards from last year and this year. He beat out the likes of DJ and others for some of those awards also.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read