Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2006   #1
expwrlifter
Rookie

Default DC and VY from a coach point of view

Hey,

can someone tell me how the press conference went yesterday. I live in Dallas and had to read about the horrible news that DC got his extension. Another sad day for the Texans. ... Did anyone ask the question about VY? And before I get the oh.. DC doenst have this and he doesnt have this... Well guys let inform of you something. I am a football coach by profession and I watched DC in action even before he touched the field as a Texan when he was at FSU.. Even when I learned the Texans were going to draft him I questioned that decision, now I really dont understand why they are doing what they are doing again. I hate to inform you but VY is a better player not just as a QB but as a player overall. I actually have seen him play in person and must say he is a natural. There is a saying "that no matter what sport you play if you are an athlete you will adjust to it and produce". Guys its a no brainer here DC is not a great QB and neither is VY at the Pro Level but give him his chance he has excelled in the other levels.. Let him sit and learn. ( Which is not bad considering you are going to pay RB the same amount if you draft him first and he wont get the same amount of touches that VY will get when he gets his turn) You are going to pay RB tons of money to get 15 carries a game and play in a rotation, what sense does that make? RB is more like a Marshall Faulk guy. He isnt a every down back and RB has been supspect to pass blocking. If he does go out in the slot or as a third receiver the NFL secondary will be able to bang him at the line or as we call combo him in cover 2 which makes it hard for him to get the ball. If he tries to go inside the LBS will hit him harder than he is felt before because he is not used to getting hit head on. Dont get me wrong I think RB is a great player but he doenst scare me as much as VY, because he (RB) can be contained as one guy where VY offers the pass as well as the run. You will hear people say you cant run the option in the NFL which is true, but its not the option he will need its the versatility he brings to the table. As a LB you cant come running at him because of his height he can drop it over your head to a Running Back and if you wait too long to attack him he will get yards on you because of his long strides. It just makes you a little more worried because you have to pick your poison. At least VY will learn and then touch the ball alot more than that. DC is in a no win situation all the way around. He will now have to be a superstar QB to live up to the extension. For all you VY haters you have no idea what you will be missing if he does not come to Houston. Again being a coach by profession having to prepare for him is harder than preparing for DC.. He is a dual threat and DC is not. It takes more time to prepare as well as change schemes for him. Its not as easy as you people think to prepare for teams each week. Alot of time goes into the games and its not XBOX or MADDEN, its real out there. And again VY is more of a threat than DC will ever be. Overall VY is just harder to prepare for and dont worry I dont like UT but VY just makes people around him better, something DC has never done in his four years. I know I will get plenty of feedback on this but trust me on this one... I hope the Texans have something up there sleeve because its not looking good ..... AGAIN
Old 02-11-2006   #2
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 16 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover
Exclamation

For the love of God -- paragraphs my man - paragraphs...
Old 02-11-2006   #3
Darporini
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by expwrlifter
Did anyone ask the question about VY?AGAIN
Bob McNair said he was keeping all options open. He even alluded to San Diego's situation of having two top QBs (Brees and Rivers). So, who knows what is going to happen at the end of April!!
Old 02-11-2006   #4
expwrlifter
Rookie

sorry new to the posting..
Old 02-11-2006   #5
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Oh boy...
Another "I hate DC, VY can do no wrong" thread. I thought they were starting to die down, but silly me, I was wrong. :brickwall
Old 02-11-2006   #6
expwrlifter
Rookie

No I dont hate DC as a person I just dont like him as our QB... he is not capable of being what you people think he will be. He didnt play very many good teams in college and had great stats but so did my college QB who plays in the league now (Tim Rattay). Pretty similiar stats actually. They even played in the same conference. (WAC).. Heck Timmy Chang played in the WAC and got all those records last year.. A

And as for VY he can do wrong and will when he first starts out. If you read in the post it states that he will learn like he did in HS and colllege. All players will adapt to there situation, and DC has had four years and still hasnt. He is not a horrible player (DC) I just think he needs a new start and Houston will not be the place because he will be under the microscope. Its not fair to him..
Old 02-11-2006   #7
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
There is a saying "that no matter what sport you play if you are an athlete you will adjust to it and produce".
Good post. Hard to understand the Young-haters here. They seem to have the man-crush problem on Carr and any mention of replacing him with a better player riles them up. I'll be very sorry to see VY go to the Titans, but he will be a great player to watch in furture years.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2006   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Good post. Hard to understand the Young-haters here. They seem to have the man-crush problem on Carr and any mention of replacing him with a better player riles them up. I'll be very sorry to see VY go to the Titans, but he will be a great player to watch in furture years.
How can you say Young is a better player than Carr when Young hasn't even stepped foot onto an NFL field?
Old 02-11-2006   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

If RB or VY is so great.. well they ought to "help" this team alot IF we try to trade down.. we should command a lot of picks for one of them. If TJ can net us an extra 3rd by moving down last year, I wonder what we could get for RB and VY moving off of the top spot

FTR...I think both guys (RB/VY) are great athletes, but this team needs so such help on both sides of the ball that we all wouldn't have thought that 4 years later we are still looking for depth.
Old 02-11-2006   #10
expwrlifter
Rookie

I agree with you on that.. what might make more sense if RB is a lock then we can trade down and get an extra pick and then probably choose 3rd or 4th.. I hear NO wants ML and the NYJ want RB so we can pick up another pick and then still get VY.
Old 02-11-2006   #11
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
No I dont hate DC as a person I just 1. dont like him as our QB... he is not capable of being what you people think he will be. He 2. didnt play very many good teams in college and had great stats but so did my college QB who plays in the league now (Tim Rattay). Pretty similiar stats actually. They even played in the same conference. (WAC).. Heck Timmy Chang played in the WAC and got all those records last year.. A

And as for VY he can do wrong and will when he first starts out. If you read in the post it states that he will learn like he did in HS and colllege. All players will adapt to there situation, and DC has had four years and still hasnt. He is not a horrible player (DC) 3. I just think he needs a new start and Houston will not be the place because he will be under the microscope. Its not fair to him..
1. That's what I'm talking about...sorry.

2. Niether did VY this year...he played in the overrated Big 12...OOOHHH.

3. I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I think that maybe a fresh start for DC would be a good thing, and tha'ts the part I agree with you with. But at the same time, is it wise to get rid of a player you have no clue about, which is what the Texans have in Carr? That's where I disagree. Also, no matter where DC plays, he'll always be under a microscope. Every player is under a microscope, that's how they keep or don't keep their job.
Old 02-11-2006   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

If we trade down and gain an extra pick next season.. I'd like to have this guy.(sorry for the highjack) if I am not mistaken he is like 6'2 220 lbs or so and runs 4.4

http://www.adpeterson.com/index.html

back to topic.. problem I have with RB is, yes he is a homerun hit, yet if we can't get DD enough push to get the 3rd and 1's or on the goal line get that extra yard. How is Bush going to do it???

Last edited by Wolf; 02-11-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2006   #13
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hey,

can someone tell me how the press conference went yesterday. I live in Dallas and had to read about the horrible news that DC got his extension. Another sad day for the Texans. ... Did anyone ask the question about VY? And before I get the oh.. DC doenst have this and he doesnt have this... Well guys let inform of you something. 1. I am a football coach by profession and I watched DC in action even before he touched the field as a Texan when he was at FSU.. Even when I learned the Texans were going to draft him I questioned that decision, now I really dont understand why they are doing what they are doing again. I hate to inform you but VY is a better player not just as a QB but as a player overall. I actually have seen him play in person and must say he is a natural. There is a saying "that no matter what sport you play if you are an athlete you will adjust to it and produce". Guys its a no brainer here DC is not a great QB and neither is VY at the Pro Level but give him his chance he has excelled in the other levels.. Let him sit and learn. ( 2. Which is not bad considering you are going to pay RB the same amount if you draft him first and he wont get the same amount of touches that VY will get when he gets his turn) You are going to pay RB tons of money to get 15 carries a game and play in a rotation, what sense does that make? 3. RB is more like a Marshall Faulk guy. He isnt a every down back and RB has been supspect to pass blocking. If he does go out in the slot or as a third receiver the NFL secondary will be able to bang him at the line or as we call combo him in cover 2 which makes it hard for him to get the ball. If he tries to go inside the LBS will hit him harder than he is felt before because he is not used to getting hit head on. Dont get me wrong I think RB is a great player but he doenst scare me as much as VY, because he (RB) can be contained as one guy where VY offers the pass as well as the run. You will hear people say you cant run the option in the NFL which is true, but its not the option he will need its the versatility he brings to the table. As a LB you cant come running at him because of his height he can drop it over your head to a Running Back and if you wait too long to attack him he will get yards on you because of his long strides. It just makes you a little more worried because you have to pick your poison. At least VY will learn and then touch the ball alot more than that. DC is in a no win situation all the way around. He will now have to be a superstar QB to live up to the extension. 4. For all you VY haters you have no idea what you will be missing if he does not come to Houston. Again being a coach by profession having to prepare for him is harder than preparing for DC.. 5. He is a dual threat and DC is not. It takes more time to prepare as well as change schemes for him. Its not as easy as you people think to prepare for teams each week. Alot of time goes into the games and its not XBOX or MADDEN, its real out there. 6. And again VY is more of a threat than DC will ever be. Overall VY is just harder to prepare for and 7. dont worry I dont like UT but VY just makes people around him better, something DC has never done in his four years. I know I will get plenty of feedback on this but trust me on this one... I hope the Texans have something up there sleeve because its not looking good ..... AGAIN
Don't sell Carr short and don't over hype VY just yet.

1. Did you see David Carr's college stats they were amazing. He was the fastest QB, the strongest QB, had the best arm in the draft.

2. Running Backs don't get Quarterback money. Regardless of what position they are drafted in.

3. Marshal Faulk is an NFL MVP, took his team to TWO Superbowls (won 1), and was a big part of the his team being the #1 offense for three straight years. (If Reggie Bush is like that.....I'll take him in a heart beat.)

4. We also don't know what we are getting. No one knows how Vince Young will do in the NFL. He is a unique talent and is going to be asked to do A LOT of things he rarely or has NEVER done before. He is there for a Big Risk!! He is a great pick with the #3, #4 or #5 pick. But is not worth the #1 or #2 pick. Otherwise you would hear about how he is going to the Saints and not to the Titians.

5. Michael Vick and Michael Brooks are the only two QBs that are faster than David Carr currently starting in the NFL. You right DC is not as big of a dual threat as VY or those other two guys but the guy has wheels. You could even argue that VY isn't a great of a passer so he isn't that much of a dual threat. Yes he can pass but if you really watched him play his passing got results but they didn't look pretty.

6. The problem with a running QB is they only get slower as they get older. They are more likely to get injured. VY is a good passer but based on his passing ability alone he is not a Top QB prospect. Sorry.

7. I love UT. I even went to the Rosebowl. It was awesome.

GO TEXANS.
Old 02-11-2006   #14
texarg
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
How can you say Young is a better player than Carr when Young hasn't even stepped foot onto an NFL field?
excelente question.
Old 02-11-2006   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8

2. Niether did VY this year...he played in the overrated Big 12...OOOHHH.

Vince played and beat 2 teams in the top 4. including usc with a 34 game winning streak. wtf are you talking about trying to compare their college comp? did Carr even play a ranked team? did he win?
Old 02-11-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

I thought fresno went on a run as "giant killers" on Carrs last season.. I maybe wrong though
Old 02-11-2006   #17
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
Vince played and beat 2 teams in the top 4. including usc with a 34 game winning streak. wtf are you talking about trying to compare their college comp? did Carr even play a ranked team? did he win?
Yes Texas beat two of the top four teams this year (two of the best games I've ever seen. two hundred college kids in a dark room watching Vince toss a touchdown with 2 minutes left. Wow) However, no one can deny that the Big 12 had a bad season. OU was not as dominant as in the past for most of the season, and A&M got off to a bad start. Baylor and OSU weren't great either. The Big 12 was just weaker than is has been in recent years. Next year I expect OU and A&M to be back to normal, along with Baylor improving under their Moriss. But yea, this year, the Big 12 wasn't up to par.
Old 02-11-2006   #18
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
I am a football coach by profession
Uh, yeah...
Old 02-11-2006   #19
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
if we can't get DD enough push to get the 3rd and 1's or on the goal line get that extra yard. How is Bush going to do it???
Why do people think we have a problem running the ball? Our offensive line is effective at run blocking. We do not have a problem running the ball. Kubiak likes using RBC and having a three-headed monster in Bush, DD and Morency is a good thing.
Old 02-11-2006   #20
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Yes Texas beat two of the top four teams this year (two of the best games I've ever seen. two hundred college kids in a dark room watching Vince toss a touchdown with 2 minutes left. Wow) However, no one can deny that the Big 12 had a bad season. OU was not as dominant as in the past for most of the season, and A&M got off to a bad start. Baylor and OSU weren't great either. The Big 12 was just weaker than is has been in recent years. Next year I expect OU and A&M to be back to normal, along with Baylor improving under their Moriss. But yea, this year, the Big 12 wasn't up to par.

yeah, but trying to act like VY got his numbers against a bunch of nobodies is very very unfair to vince. He had fantastic games against 2 of the best teams in the country, both on the road.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read