Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-10-2006   #1
Darporini
Rookie

Default Are the Texans that far off?

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I just wanted to make an observation about our beloved Texans.

Looking back over the results and statistics of the season, this team lost six games by seven points or less. It seems to me, with one or two plays per game going the other way, the Texans could have finished the season at 8-8, instead of 2-14.

I guess my point in all of this is, despite the poor coaching job, injuries and overall poor play, there is definately enough talent on this team to be very competitive.

I strongly believe the Texans can turn it around next year given the new coaching staff, a smart and competent draft, and the switch to the 4-3.
Old 02-10-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we were good enough for 8-8 this year. We could have finished 5-11 or 6-10 though. I could see us going 7-9 or 8-8 next year though. I think Carr will improve tremendously in his first year under Kubiak and Domanick Davis and Reggie Bush will be a two headed monster in the backfield. If we can give Carr some decent protection and get a quality TE and/or a 2nd WR, we might e even finish in the top half in offense. That still leaves the defense, but we can't get any worse than 32nd can we?
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #3
Wordem
Veteran

Yes. They won two games. They aren't doing squat for at least two years.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #4
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I was thinking the same thing. I went through all of the games we could have won last season, and I was geniuenly surprised by how much better we could have been. However, we did get blown out A LOT. We have to be able to keep games like Seattle, KC, Pitt, Indy in the second half and Jags in the second half much closer. If we can find a way to win the close ones, something that has plagued this team for a long time, we shouldnt be drafting anywhere near number 1 anytime soon.
Old 02-11-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Worst offense in football....worst defense in football. Hmmm, we only have 31 teams to climb.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #6
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

Put it this way . It can't get any worse. No way to go but up
Old 02-11-2006   #7
Texas_Heat
Veteran

I think they will start to get it right and this team will be 8-8 next season but that's the same thing I said last year so most Likely the new coaching staff will be and they will finish 2-14 again.
Greatest Metal Bands: #1 VENOM # 2 SLAYER.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2006   #8
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

That's always been Capers thing. Keep games close until the 2nd half and then hope for the best. It was tremendous in years one and two when they took teams to the final play (Colts and Titans), took the Super Bowl Champs to OT (Pats), beat the NFC's Super Bowl representative (Panthers), and won an ugly game on the road against this year's Super Bowl champ (Steelers). The problem with the hold it close until half card is if you get down big quickly it deflates the team and leads to a bad loss. Anyone remember the Bengals game in year 1? I know people can't forget the Browns game in year 3.

The Texans were caught up in a hard first 8 games. They played both Super Bowl participants and got beat handily in both. It could have been more competitive, but most teams lost to the Steelers and Seahawks this season so that's no crime. Losing on the road to the vastly improved Bengals wasn't hard to believe, but they did have a chance to win it. The Jags on the road was another that was lost in the 4th quarter. Jags and Texans could go either way no matter how good or bad one of the teams is doing. They had the Colts tied at half, but couldn't do anything with it in the second half. It's that hope for the best philosophy that didn't work. The loss to the Titans was tough, especially after sweeping them last season. Still, they are a rival and were ready for the game. The only fully inexcusable loss to me was to the Bills who aren't very good. A couple of bounces different in the Jags and Bengals game and they are looking at 3-5 at the halfway mark instead of 1-7. Their last 5 losses were games that winning teams pull out. The Chiefs and Colts were far and away better and even good teams lose to them. The Texans are up on the Jags at half, and lose. They are up on the Titans, Ravens, and Rams in the 4th quarter and lose. They are up against the 49ers early and then have a chance at the end and lose. These are the games that make a team 2-14. I'm convinced that if Kubiak coached last year against the same teams in the same situations the team finishes 9-7. Not in a playoff position, but 2 games better than the previous year. I don't think you can play the time of possession game against NFL offenses. How many times did we hear Capers mention that they won the T.O.P game and couldn't see why they didn't win the game? It's about putting points on the board and keeping your boot on the other team's throat so they can't come back and beat you.

The Texans season reminded me of the Chargers season in 2003. They came off an 8-8 season in 2002. They got rid of Seau and Harrison for younger, cheaper players. They went out that next year with improved expectations and stunk it up. They went 4-12 and ended up with the first pick in the draft. They used that leverage to get a QB, and this year's #1 from the Giants got them Shawn Merriman. The only mistake was getting a QB when it turned out they didn't need one. They went out in 2005 and went 12-4 and won the AFC West.

In summation, this team isn't far from being in the mix. Considering the line play was awful, the defense struggled mightily at times, AJ took turns being Bradford with his catching ability, DD was hurt (again), the team didn't turn the ball over until the Seahawk game, and they got rid of their defensive leaders. I don't think the Texans go 12-4, but I don't think 8-8 is out of the question.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have some very good role players and no playmakers to be honest. I have never felt whether it was on defense or offense and we needed to make a play I knew I could count on one individual to make the play or be in the mix. Just a feel thing and not possible to quantify.

I feel we are a play maker away on the Oline and two playmakers away on defense to get there. We have some nice talented parts, but no one that can even come close to changing a half or dominating there counterpart on the other side of the ball.

This offseason is important, we need to take advantage of the Kubiak intoxication, while it lasts, in FA.
Old 02-11-2006   #10
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darporini
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I just wanted to make an observation about our beloved Texans.

Looking back over the results and statistics of the season, this team lost six games by seven points or less. It seems to me, with one or two plays per game going the other way, the Texans could have finished the season at 8-8, instead of 2-14.
And with one play in both the Cleveland and Arizona games, you'd be looking at an 0-16 team.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get A New QB
i think we will actually make it to the wild card

i know you think im stupid for saying that but i have a feeling with kubiak as head coach
Kubiak as HC is exactly why we WON'T make it to the wildcard -- or anywhere close.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #12
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

It'd be interesting to know how many of those "close games" we had were where we pulled to within a 6-8 points but they were garbage points at the end of games where the other team has in their back-ups? I'd say 2-3 of them if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 02-11-2006   #13
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Yep, we are that far off. As Bill Parcells always says, "you are your record". We are 2-14. The worst team in the NFL and nothing has changed that fact.

I like the move for Kubiak, I don't like the Carr extension. Unless we get some more talent, we are looking at a sub .500 team again.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #14
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Worst offense in football....worst defense in football. Hmmm, we only have 31 teams to climb.
you mean like the 49ers, rams, cardinals, lions, bills, dolphins, titans, and BROWNS? if we and up behind most of these teams again i will be shocked and DEEPLY disturbed. Theres a wild card spot in '06 with the name "Texans" branded on it.

-Homer Stokes
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #15
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big78
Theres a wild card spot in '06 with the name "Texans" branded on it.
Old 02-12-2006   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

Is the sun REALLY that far away?
Old 02-12-2006   #17
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
Is the sun REALLY that far away?
Casserly, McNair, and Kubes will say no.
Old 02-12-2006   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll tell you right now, the main thing the Texans FO have to work on is lines. The better the lines played, the better the team played. At times, the D-line looked elite. Other times, they looked atrocious. The o-line, on the other hand, was usually horrible and average at their best. I was thinking that I have not seen an offense fail when they have a good O-line. I have not seen a QB play badly behind a suitable O-line.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
It'd be interesting to know how many of those "close games" we had were where we pulled to within a 6-8 points but they were garbage points at the end of games where the other team has in their back-ups? I'd say 2-3 of them if my memory serves me correctly.

Just off the top of my head

Rams-gave up 10 points in 32 seconds
Ravens-gave up game winning drive in last minute
Titans-gave up game winning drive in last minute, missed 30 yard game tying field goal
Niners-missed game winning field goal at the end of the game, threw game ending interception in overtime
Jags-bradford dropped game tying touchdown on fourth down at the end of the game
Bengals-"the fumble"
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #20
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan

The Bengals was pretty close most of the game. It was ugly, but they were tied going into the 4th quarter.

The Texans led the Jaguars 14-7 in the early 4th and allowed Jacksonville to score 14 in the final quarter to their 0. As stated before, Bradford did drop the ball at the end. It would have been a 1st down, though. Still, it would have been at the 4 and they still had time to score.

The St. Louis game will never be forgotten. Texans led 24-3 at half, 24-10 at the start of the 4th. and 27-17 with under a minute to go.

The Ravens and the Texans traded scores most of the game. The Ravens led going into the 4th, but the Texans took the lead with just over a minute left. They then let Kyle Boller take them down the field for the game winner.

The Texans led the Titans 10-3 at half. They were tied going into the 4th. Kris Brown "missed" a chip shot to send the game to OT.

The Texans led the Jags at half and then took the lead again at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Vic Fangio's defense then let the Jags score 21 unanswered to end the game. The last TD was definitely a "garbage" score.

The Texans led the 49ers 10-0 through 1. They led were tied at 17 through 3. Missed the FG at the end of regulation. They lost the game in OT.

That's a quick recap of the 7 games that the Texans should have won. None of them had the Texans getting cheap points. Earlier I didn't count that second Jags game, but it was within reach. Still, as someone pointed out earlier, you are only as good as your record. The Texans lost 7 games because they couldn't close it out in the 4th quarter. That's coaching. That's coming out with a hesitant 2nd half playbook. No matter how poorly they played to start the season, if the Texans ended with 9 wins, which was possible, nobody would be calling this team the joke of the league.

Carr is the focal point of many people's disgust. Take out that Buffalo game and he had a passer rating of 84, I believe. He threw 14 TDs to 8 Ints. Not enough TDs, but that's play calling, drops, lack of blocking, and him not finding a receiver. 8 Ints is a very good number. With a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball to partner with Dunta, and a line upgrade, this team is closer to being 10-6 than 0-16. I still say 8-8 will be where they fall this season.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read