Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-10-2006   #1
BlueThunder
Veteran

Default Building a Winner

Feel free to add any input if you see better ways,,,,

I can just see the Offensive and Defensive coordinator in camp battling to rattle the other with something they think can't be matched.Everyone has a few little tweener/tweakers to match up.

QB Vince Young David Carr Dave Ragone
RB Dominique Davis Verand Morancy Brian Calhoun
TE/FB David Thomas ( Marcelles?Rivers) Robert Royal
WR Andra Johnson Senorice Moss Anthony Mix (6rd project)
WR Jerome Mathis Derek Armstrong Donovan Morgan

RT Andrew Whitworth Fred Wand
RG Milford Brown Bryan Pittman
C Todd Washington Drew Hodgdon
LG Chester Pitts Seth Wand
LT Todd Wade Tyson Walters

DE Aaron Kampman Moe Thompson
DT Travis Johnson
NT Seth Payne Robaire Smith
DE Kyle Van Bosch Jason Babin

OLB (Antwan Peak DE)Cato June Terna Nande
MLB Kalee Wong Deshawn Polk Aaron Harris
OLB (Shantee Orr DE) Marlin Greenwood Eric Ingram

CB Nate Clements DaMarcus Faggens
SS/LB Bernard Pollard C.C Brown Lewis Sanders
FS Chris Hope Glenn Earl Jason Bell
CB Dunta Robinson Philip Buchanon

I know you guys want to draft a whole line but with young players developing and coming into contract years I think we should give them a chance in the new system.The linemen in the draft look good but they will need time before we can depend on them.The 3 and 4 year Lineman should start to show this year if there ever going anywhere.Next year we will know more about what we need. As for the LBers we need to find out who can cover and where everyone will play.I will be working on them but,being a new team for me i've listened to a lot you've said.We may have better play out these guys with something up front to keep the linemen off them.As for the secondary,let them fight for a spot.As for the DL I think we should settle for a tackling machine at Value on one side and atleast one great Passrusher to get pressure the first year.We can turn Travis loose with a clog holding the middle.Robaire Smith will rotate with the other 2 DTs to keep them fresh.If this WR ain't there we can get a pass catching TE OR WR.We don't need to waste picks taking projects early..I really want to pick up atleast one vet 43 LBer so we can balance the weakness but if we can get by with our players its on to the future!

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-11-2006 at 01:00 PM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #2
Xman
Veteran

I don't think we have enough cap room to sign those guys.

I do agree that we need to let most of our questionable guys play this year to figure out if they are worth keeping. This especially applies to our defense - which LBs, Ss, CBs, DEs can cut it. Then replace the ones that fail next year. We have enough holes to fix without duplicating unproven/marginal talent.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #3
BlueThunder
Veteran

Yes,Having a new Coach he needs a chance to find the real problems.Most of the players are drafted in the rookie cap so the'll fit.Plus that's the way to go because its our future.I only grabed a hand full of FAs and 2 or 3 are mid level.I don't think were going to need all the LBers but with all the flexability we can hold them and have them ready when called upon.Who knows, maybe will keep Jonathan Wells but we need some speed in the Back field like a Barry Sanders...Players like Peak and Orr can give us the passrush as DEs in a nickel package.Plus we have the flexability to go right into a 34.We could have a great team!Plus it hold spots in the draft incase we do have enough LBs we can grab something that wasn't on the radar.I just seen very poor LB play last year.We do have talent on this team,now weither they have since or not is another story.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-10-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder
Feel free to add any input if you see better ways,,,,

QB Vince Young or David Carr Dave Ragone (FA WC QB)
RB Diminique Davis Verand Morancy Ahmad Green or Reggie Bush
TE/FB David Thomas Marcelles Wiley C/FB Tyson Walters
WR Andra Johnson Jabar Gaffney WR/TE Anthony Mix (6rd project)
WR Jerome Mathis Derek Armstrong Donovan Morgan

RT Andrew WhitworthTyson Walters
RG Zach Weigert Milford Brown
C (Atlanta C FA) Drew Hodgdon Steven McKinney
LG Fred Weary Draft LB or T/G or RB
LT Chester Pitts Tyson Walters

DE Aaron Kampman Moe Thompson
DT Travis Johnson Robaire Smith
NT Seth Payne
DE Kyle Van Bosch Jason Babin

OLB (Antwan Peak DE)Terna Nande Cato June
MLB Kalee Wong Deshawn Polk Aaron Harris
OLB (Shantee Orr DE) Marlin Greenwood Eric Ingram

CB Nate Clements DaMarcus Faggens
SS/LB Bernard Pollard C.C Brown Lewis Sanders
FS Lance Shultzer Glenn Earl Jason Bell
CB Dunta Robinson Philip Buchanon
No to Ahman Green, if he leaves Green Bay he'll be too expensive and he's hurt more than Domanick Davis is. Tyson Walter is in no way even close to being a FB, and Thomas and Rivers aren't really either (I assume you mean Marcellus Rivers and not Marcellus Wiley, Wiley is a 275 lb. DE that plays for the Jaguars). Johnson/Gaffney/Mathis/Mix/Armstrong is a decent group of WRs. Fred Weary shouldn't start for us, especially at LG, he'd be better at RG but still he isn't ready to be a starter, Wiegert (LG) and Brown (RG) would be a better starting duo. Tyson Walter should not be on the team next year, I don't know why they signed him to the practice squad at the end of last year and then the active roster, but he's terrible. VandenBosch will also be expensive and I don't really like as an option, and Kampman and Moe Thompson at the other DE? I would much rather have Peek and Babin as our two DEs, but we can do much better than these guys either way. Greenwood will start at OLB, Orr could definitely start at OLB, and Wong will be MLB unless we get a better MLB in the offseason, I don't see Cato June coming here and don't know who Terna Nande is. Clements would be a great pickup if we can get him, but he also will be fairly expensive, if he actually leaves Buffalo I'd make a run at him though. Pollard and Schulter don't give us much, if any, of an upgrade at S, so I wouldn't bother with getting them.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #5
BlueThunder
Veteran

Hey Tyson Walters has played blocking FB/Blocking TE LT/RT/G/C We have plenty of time for Thomas to catch on as a pass catching FB Iin the seam.River's better be able to do something.Mix can be used as a pass catching TE TO UP the field..I don't really agree that Shultzer would not up grade but there is alway Hope,yes Chris Hope!

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-10-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Hey Tyson Walters has played blocking FB/Blocking TE LT/RT/G/C We have plenty of time for Thomas to catch on as a pass catching FB Iin the seam.River's better be able to do something.Mix can be used as a pass catching TE TO UP the field..
Walter is 6-3, 310 lbs. that's not a FB.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #7
BlueThunder
Veteran

As for placing the players,the coaches can do them how they will but with role players that can play multipule positions we can have fringe players to work with.Mix is a late round pick and has Gates type atribuites to his measures.In 6 he gives us mismatches and takes the physicality away from Johnson.

Tyson Walters}Neither was the guy that took over his position Marcus Spears 6'6" 300,,,its time to count snaps in Houston..Just for goal line and short yardage..We don't really need a FB!

I would not line our star TE up in the backfield unless is an important game but he's there learning and mise well extend his game.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-10-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2006   #8
BlueThunder
Veteran

I really don't see going into the season with Peak and Orr being every down 43 DEs..I wouldn't chance it but then its the staffs call.Some LBers can fight 330 ot a whole game.Then, most of them are headed to the hall,or already in.Tyson Walters is a Backup C also..A lot of teams build and can't afford the luxury of a flexible 49 man game roster.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-10-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2006   #9
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

No, nope and heck no. No to green, no to David Thomas(the second coming of Billy Miller), and no to all the players that will cost us major cap room.First of all, all of those players do not want to be Texans, secondly that would put us over cap by like 20 million $. This must be a joke thread.:brickwall
Old 02-10-2006   #10
BlueThunder
Veteran

Thats a Championship team right there
Old 02-10-2006   #11
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
No, nope and heck no. No to green, no to David Thomas(the second coming of Billy Miller), and no to all the players that will cost us major cap room.First of all, all of those players do not want to be Texans, secondly that would put us over cap by like 20 million $. This must be a joke thread.:brickwall

david thomas is a good TE, was a good TE, always has been a good TE.

Billy Miller was a converted WR, and not a very good one at that.
Old 02-10-2006   #12
BlueThunder
Veteran

Not only that but we could make living on David Thomas's Wheel route!

I seen him get cut low,come down with the ball in his hands,legs churning,as he rolled and powered toward the endzone looked like Jay Novack for a minute

We could trade a LBer to move down into round 1 with #33 and then trade that and a first next year to move down and land LT B'Brickshaw Ferguson.There may not be another like him for a while either...

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-10-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2006   #13
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
david thomas is a good TE, was a good TE, always has been a good TE.

Billy Miller was a converted WR, and not a very good one at that.
Big University of Texas fan here. I am a highschool senior and I might be going to UT next semester. I love David Thomas, he was my go to guy on NCAA '06, but he will be an h-back in the NFL.

By no means am I saying that he was anything but a great college TE, but he does not have the size, nor is he the type of blocker to be an every down TE at the NFL level.

Billy Miller- 6'3 253
David Thomas- 6'3 245

Billy Miller is faster and his hands are just as good, I have nothing against Miller, for a while he was the only ligit target that we had for David to throw at, but he couldnt block, and that is the problem with Thomas, he cant block.

He may be a good situational player, but he is not an every down TE, if he could block and was an inch taller he would be ranked just as high as Byrd.
Old 02-10-2006   #14
BlueThunder
Veteran

Yes David Thomas isn't the biggest TE in the draft but if he can get his blocking down and show good at the combinehe could go as early as round 3 and even round 2.I've been breaking a lot of my own rules lately ,so sooner or later i'll mess up on a player.The way this team needs a TE they will most likely take Fasano early.If we don't get a chance to get a complete TE I would take Thomas and be glad I got me a good one.Thomas will have to play in a timing base offense.You did give me a reality check though..

Ya know,Thomas is 6'3" 245 listed and Byrd was just measured at the senior bowl at 6'2.5" 252..

Players I like I will take a chance on if theres no other better options.I'd draft him in the 4th.Maybe the third,Jason Witten only ran a 4.75/40 but he was 6'5 258..Hands and seperation is the most important to me.I'll make him a blocker.

I won't lie,if we drafted Vince I was going to take him at #65 that a lucky place for TEs.Shooooo don't tell anyone.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-10-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2006   #15
BlueThunder
Veteran

I did this for Gary Kubaik because I had the time and peace to do some hard thinking.Theres no sense in over paying linemen when the backups are doing just as good a job as the vets.If we have the money maybe we can go with Weigert, but everythings starting new, so everyones rookies as far as i'm concerned.This defense should be a top flight group and be ranked at the top in the league.Do this and put some hard work into coaching and theres no telling what this group can accomplish this season.

Lets go get one this year

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-11-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2006   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier

By no means am I saying that he was anything but a great college TE, but he does not have the size, nor is he the type of blocker to be an every down TE at the NFL level.

Billy Miller- 6'3 253
David Thomas- 6'3 245

Billy Miller is faster and his hands are just as good, I have nothing against Miller, for a while he was the only ligit target that we had for David to throw at, but he couldnt block, and that is the problem with Thomas, he cant block.

He may be a good situational player, but he is not an every down TE, if he could block and was an inch taller he would be ranked just as high as Byrd.
I dont agree that millers hands were as good, and he didnt run as good of routes.

and david thomas can indeed block, every texas fan has seem him block just fine. its true he would be better suited used like cooley in wash, but comparing his blockign to millers is an insult to thomas.

miller was a mediocre wr in college, who became an even more mediocre te here.

imo thomas is better than byrd.. i dont see why people have byrd so much higher as he seems chubby and isnt as good a receiver.
Old 02-11-2006   #17
BlueThunder
Veteran

I think Byrd is falling,he has injury concerns.Heres how I plan to get these players.A good OT prospect will fall to round 3 maybe Eric Winston with injuries and needing work still.I think we need to add a little weapon early for the offense.It was kinda flat last year and most of the FAs are defense.

#1 QB Vince Young
#33 WR Senorice Moss
#65 OT Andrew Whitworth
#66 TE David Thomas
#97 LB Terna Nande
#129 SS/LB Bernard Pollard
#160 DE Moe Thompson
#192 TE Anthony Mix
Trade a 3rd next year RB Brian Calhoun
or UDFA we may half to get in FA Avon Cason (burner 3drb)value
We can get 43 LBs as UDFA.Maybe we can trade someone for a 4th or 5th that we can push down.I just hope we have some LBs that can Captain the LBer because thats what worries me..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-12-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2006   #18
Texans86
All Pro

So who wants Joppru to come back next season and light it up with 14 TD's (just enough to take the record away from Gates). Oh yeah, this is the draft discussion, and Joppru has been all but forgotten. Maybe 4th time is the charm. Seriously, I feel bad for the guy. If he does come back, that's like another 2nd round pick this year, woohoo.
Old 02-11-2006   #19
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
I think Byrd is falling,he has injury concerns.Heres how I plan to get these players.A good OT prospect will fall to round 3 maybe Eric Winston with injuries and needing work still.I think we need to add a little weapon early for the offense.It was kinda flat last year and most of the FAs are defense.

#1 QB Vince Young
#33 WR Senorice Moss
#65 OT Andrew Whitworth
#66 TE David Thomas
#97 LB Terna Nande
#129 SS/LB Bernard Pollard
#160 DE Moe Thompson
#192 TE Anthony Mix
Trade a 3rd next year RB Brian Calhoun
or UDFA we may half to get in FA Avon Cason (burner 3drb)value
We can get 43 LBs as UDFA.Maybe we can trade someone for a 4th or 5th that we can push down.I just hope we have some LBs that can Captain the LBer because thats what worries me..
This is just a suggestion, I don't think Moss would be going that high so if you were intent on getting him in the second you could trade down a few spots and pick up an extra pick in the third. You could pick up a good OG or a decent CB.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #20
BlueThunder
Veteran

If Moss isn't there at 33 we may be able to move back 12 picks and get another WR,the best on the board after Moss.I like Gaffney and we could keep him but we need more big plays out of the offense.Plays over +20..Thing about Moss is he can return punts and give Mathis a breather every now and then so he can get more involved in the offense.The draft is thin at WR and if I couldn't get the one I want I8 would just get a sleeper later then to try to reach.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-12-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read