Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-10-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kiper: This draft is NOT deep at o-line.

I'm sure this'll get yanked from the bullpen forum...but I reckon if we can have Reggie and Vince posts on here, we might be able to give 'Brick some face time, too.

In a mailbag item from ESPN Insider Mel Kiper, a Jets fan asks about 'Brick and if the Jets should take him even though this draft is "deep" at o-line.

Kiper responds that this draft is NOT as deep as he had projected at the beginning of the college season. Says a LOT of hot prospects never materialized into what he had projected.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Just me, but I wasn't impressed with the top OL prospects when I watched the games. I think the OL prospects were a bit overvalued early on.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

What did you think of Mangold? He sure looked good in the Senior Bowl practices IMO.
Old 02-10-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
What did you think of Mangold? He sure looked good in the Senior Bowl practices IMO.
I'd love to see Mangold here. I don't consider him a dominating type player but he is quick, smart and has a frame that will mature and enable him to add a few pounds of muscle in his lower body.....probably perfect for a lighter quicker line. He may struggle a bit with super big NT's. We need to get meaner on the line too...and I didn't notice a mean streak...but he is supposedly has one.

Old 02-10-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, I got a glance at one of Kiper's mocks awhile back and noticed he didn't
have but 2 or 3 OTs, which suggets he and his people think this Draft is overrated at that position, since so many mocks have a half a dozen or so
OTs in the 1st round. And I think in particular Ferguson is overrated because
there are real concerns about his ability as a run blocker. So there is some
downside with the Ferguson pick.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'd love to see Mangold here. I don't consider him a dominating type player but he is quick, smart and has a frame that will mature and enable him to add a few pounds of muscle in his lower body.....probably perfect for a lighter quicker line. He may struggle a bit with super big NT's. We need to get meaner on the line too...and I didn't notice a mean streak...but he is supposedly has one.
I didn't see him play in an actual game, but in the practices I saw, he was one of, if not the most aggressive OLmen at finishing the play and frequently drove his guy into the ground. Some guys got up with hey, what the heck kind of mannerisims after going up against him. In that setting it seemed like he had a mean streak. Don't know that he is/would be in the Texans' plans but he impressed me.
Old 02-10-2006   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Just me, but I wasn't impressed with the top OL prospects when I watched the games. I think the OL prospects were a bit overvalued early on.
I think Brick has been overrrated. He is the Top guy for sure but he had an inconsistent senior year and was banged up. Sorry but I'm not using a top 5 pick on that. I like some of the other prospects and just because the guy is top rated doesn't make him a fit for the zone blocking.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 02-10-2006 at 09:39 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2006   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I think Brick has been overrrated. He is the Top guy for sure but he had an inconsistent senior year and was banged up. Sorry but I'm not using a top 5 pick on that. I like some of the other prospects and just because the guy isw top rated doesn't make him a fit for the zone blocking.
IMO, because his best assets are footwork and athleticism he is more suited to be a successful run blocker in zone blocking scheme than an offense which uses man on man power football most of the time.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I didn't see him play in an actual game, but in the practices I saw, he was one of, if not the most aggressive OLmen at finishing the play and frequently drove his guy into the ground. Some guys got up with hey, what the heck kind of mannerisims after going up against him. In that setting it seemed like he had a mean streak. Don't know that he is/would be in the Texans' plans but he impressed me.
Yeah, that's exactly what we need on the line (attitude). I know you have mentioned guys like Riley not finishing plays and part of that is disposition. Guys like Carl Mauck weren't the ideal physical prototype but he was a mean firely player in the center of our old Oiler line, and he didn't take crap off of anyone. There are times where we look like a bunch of boy scouts out there.

Old 02-10-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Houston I like your thinking on that, I want Mario Williams personally, but the OL prospects are quite solid this year, much more than last year.
Old 02-10-2006   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Kiper responds that this draft is NOT as deep as he had projected at the beginning of the college season. Says a LOT of hot prospects never materialized into what he had projected.
I don't agree with Mel often, but I do here. Winston, McNeil, & Scott have not looked like the surefire 1st rounders they were supposed to be. But I ask, didn't everyone say the same thing about last year's crop of O-linemen? There were 12-15 linemen who produced for their teams, and another 10 who will likely be asked to produce in '06.

There are players out there this year, it's just not as obvious as some classes. It's incumbent on the Texans to find those guys and develop them into NFL caliber linemen. The previous staff's inability to do so is a big part of why they aren't still in Houston. That this draft class isn't littered with can't miss offensive line prospects is no excuse for the Texans not to find help here.
Old 02-10-2006   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a prospect that will make folks forget about Chester ? If not I think you pick the best OT prospect in the 2nd round .
Old 02-10-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I don't agree with Mel often, but I do here. Winston, McNeil, & Scott have not looked like the surefire 1st rounders they were supposed to be. But I ask, didn't everyone say the same thing about last year's crop of O-linemen? There were 12-15 linemen who produced for their teams, and another 10 who will likely be asked to produce in '06.

There are players out there this year, it's just not as obvious as some classes. It's incumbent on the Texans to find those guys and develop them into NFL caliber linemen. The previous staff's inability to do so is a big part of why they aren't still in Houston. That this draft class isn't littered with can't miss offensive line prospects is no excuse for the Texans not to find help here.
Bingo...there is probably only one "sure thing" in this draft if you are looking for a top-10 Tackle. Elite left tackles are rare. This could be the single hardest position to find a elite talent since you have to have an enourmous human with the feet of a much smaller man. We will be able to find 'good' linemen later in the first, second and third rounds though. Our scouts just have to do a better job.

Old 02-10-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Yea, I got a glance at one of Kiper's mocks awhile back and noticed he didn't
have but 2 or 3 OTs, which suggets he and his people think this Draft is overrated at that position, since so many mocks have a half a dozen or so
OTs in the 1st round. And I think in particular Ferguson is overrated because
there are real concerns about his ability as a run blocker. So there is some
downside with the Ferguson pick.
D'Brickashaw Ferguson - I think will still definitely be a top 10 pick, probably top 5. A lot of the teams at the top (Titans, Jets, 49ers, Bills, Lions, Cardinals) need OLine help and as the most-hyped prospect I'm sure he'll go early.
Winston Justice - The #2 OT on most boards, I think Eric Winston is definitely the best prospect if he hadn't gotten injured and could regain his past form by the start of the season, but for now Justice is #2. I think he will go top 15, maybe even top 10 to one of the aforementioned teams.
Eric Winston - I think he is still the #3 OT. I hope he falls to us at #33 but I think he could easily be the 3rd guy taken and will likely land him in the 18-25 range.
Marcus McNeill - He is huge but I see him more as a career RT rather than a LT, so I think that will drop his stock. I could see him going late 1st (20 or lower) or early-mid 2nd depending on how much those teams in there want OLine help.
Jonathan Scott - Probably the 5th best OT in the group, could easily fall to the early-mid 2nd. He could sneak into the late 1st if a lot of teams are picking up OLinemen, but I expect him to fall to the 2nd.
Daryn Colledge - Some say he is a good LT prospect, I still think he's more of a RT or OG. He looks a lot like Chester Pitts to me, and most people don't think Chester is a long-term LT and should be RT or OG, so I don't see Colledge being any different. I doubt he goes in round 1, I wouldn't really have a problem with us getting him at #33 (depending on who we draft in the 1st), but hopefully one of the better guys will be there.

If Winston falls to #33 I would take him there regardless of who else is there, the only reason I wouldn't get him is if we get D'Brick in the 1st.
If Winston is gone at #33, to me it would depend on who we got in the 1st round, if we get Bush at #1 then I think there will be a DE at #33 that is a better value pick for us than getting Scott or Colledge, even though I really hate delaying getting OLine to the 3rd round again (although we can still get top interior OLinemen there, but the better OTs will be gone). If we trade down and get Mario Williams in the 1st, then he is our DE we need and I'm all for getting the best OT at #33, plus we'll hopefullly have an extra 2nd to either get a CB or interior OL there.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry but I'm not using a top 5 pick on that. I like some of the other prospects and just because the guy is top rated doesn't make him a fit for the zone blocking.
ok the top 5 guys in the draft,by common consensus, are bush,VY,Leinart,D'brick,and Mario. ALL OF THEM HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THEM-

Bush-can he run between tackles,will he have the necessary durability to carry the load

VY-can he run a pro-type offence, does he have a nfl type arm, will he find it as easy to rush for long gains in the nfl

Leinart-is his arm too weak for the nfl

D'brick-can he be a successful run blocker

Mario-will he find some consistency as he amassed most of his sacks in the last few games of the season

There is rarely a rookie with no weaknesses in their game so i dont think you can knock D'brick because of that- what does he do the best-pass block. who do we most badly need? Hmmm pass blocking..seems like an easy choice to me
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
ok the top 5 guys in the draft,by common consensus, are bush,VY,Leinart,D'brick,and Mario. ALL OF THEM HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THEM-

Bush-can he run between tackles,will he have the necessary durability to carry the load

VY-can he run a pro-type offence, does he have a nfl type arm, will he find it as easy to rush for long gains in the nfl

Leinart-is his arm too weak for the nfl

D'brick-can he be a successful run blocker

Mario-will he find some consistency as he amassed most of his sacks in the last few games of the season

There is rarely a rookie with no weaknesses in their game so i dont think you can knock D'brick because of that- what does he do the best-pass block. who do we most badly need? Hmmm pass blocking..seems like an easy choice to me
My problem is I think, with the new scheme, that you can have the best of both worlds. I think you can take a Skill guy, whether it be RB, QB or down for a DE and still get lineman with 3 of the next 66 picks..or more for lineman. Add FA and I think we can fill many more holes than taking Brick there and keeping the skill guys we have. I'm not wanting to debate these guys but I don't find Carr or DD to be franchise guys so I'd have a hard time looking at them as your SB run guys , no matter the line.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
first O-Linemen are not sexy picks, they are hard to follow via stat sheets & how much game film does Mel actually evaulate? this is as strong a batch of talented tackles not to mention guards in a long while, maybe after the combine he'll suddenly change his tune & the rest of you sheep will follow
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
My problem is I think, with the new scheme, that you can have the best of both worlds. I think you can take a Skill guy, whether it be RB, QB or down for a DE and still get lineman with 3 of the next 66 picks..or more for lineman. Add FA and I think we can fill many more holes than taking Brick there and keeping the skill guys we have. I'm not wanting to debate these guys but I don't find Carr or DD to be franchise guys so I'd have a hard time looking at them as your SB run guys , no matter the line.
We can always fill in guys at certain positions at some point, but the question that has to be answered (people on this board but ultimately by Texan's management) is do you want to delay filling your biggest holes by using later picks on them (i.e. waiting until #s 33, 65, and 66 to fill OLine/defense needs) rather than using your absolute top picks (#s 1 or 4-5, 33, and likely adding 36-37, etc.) to fill our areas of concern? I personally would rather look to fill those sooner rather than later, but that is just my opinion and we'll have to wait and see what the management does and if they're even offered a good trade or not. If we move down, we should still be able to get a guy potentially of star-caliber (hopefully Mario Williams, or else D'Brickashaw), so it depends whether you want that top star player at RB or at a position we really need help at. If we have to or decide to stay at #1, then I'm all for adding our offensive playmaker (Bush) and building from there, but I think it would be better if we can get a good trade to move down and look to fill those needs earlier.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #19
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I am not a big fan of Kiper, but I think he takes his job seriously. I think his usual picks are off and he will move people so often that way he can say yeah I had that guy there. Either way the OL is pretty deep, the combine and workouts usually deteremines the high end talent, but this is a deep draft at least 50 deep this year. I feel that some of the low 1st round and second round guys will end up better than the high end guys.
Old 02-10-2006   #20
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think Brick has been overrrated. He is the Top guy for sure but he had an inconsistent senior year and was banged up. Sorry but I'm not using a top 5 pick on that. I like some of the other prospects and just because the guy is top rated doesn't make him a fit for the zone blocking.
Just because he got injured doesnt mean that he was inconsistent. I dont know what games you saw, but I made an effort to watch every Virginia game that came on in this area, and Ferguson looked stellar in all of them. Yes he had a small injury, but what else. And 99% of people think that "That" is worth a top 5 pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read