Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-09-2006   #1
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad
Default Bushs' stats vs OU in the National Championship Game of '04

I was wondering this earlier and decided to investigate.
Bushs' #'s in the National Championship against OU were even more unimpressive than his against UT.

Here's the link:
http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/...05/2005ob.html

It seems as though Lendale was the feature back once again in a big game.
Lendale had 15 carries for 118 yrds and 2 td's. No rec. yrds.

Bush had only 6 carries for 79 yrds. 12.5 avg, why only 6 carries though.
Bush had only 2 rec for 31 yrds.
Bush did all the return work and had only 1 PR for 7 yrd and 2 KR for 36, an 18 yrd avg
Bush had no td's at all in this game.

Sure Bush won the Heisman a season later but his 500 yd + game against Fresno was the deciding factor in that, heck they lost to Nevada a week later.

Maybe since the game was out of hand is the reason he was underused or it was because he is uneffective in big games (garbage yrds). The OU defense stunk it up though but there were 3 defensive guys that were drafted by the NFL in the following draft, Tommy Harris in the 1st - Tedy Lehman in the 2nd - and Derick Strait in the 3rd.
This is about as close to a vision of what he'll be able to do against NFL talent as any, not to mention the UT game.

Jeez, when there is a big game with some NFL defensive talent or superior coaching on the other sideline this guy (bush) seems to be just an above avg player, nothing special. What's up with that. Anyone wanna google up his stats against ND this season.

So I ask the question again, why do we want this guy on the team with the #1 overalll selection? I've got my own smokescreen thoery but I've posted that enough, maybe I'll get another chance later on after a few qoutes come thru.
Old 02-09-2006   #2
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Bushs' #'s in the National Championship against OU were even more unimpressive than his against UT.

Does this make VY's 2004 stats fair game?
Old 02-09-2006   #3
the-wiz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan

Here's the link:
http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/...05/2005ob.html

It seems as though Lendale was the feature back once again in a big game.
Lendale had 15 carries for 118 yrds and 2 td's. No rec. yrds.

Bush had only 6 carries for 79 yrds. 12.5 avg, why only 6 carries though.
Bush had only 2 rec for 31 yrds.
Bush did all the return work and had only 1 PR for 7 yrd and 2 KR for 36, an 18 yrd avg
Bush had no td's at all in this game.

Sure Bush won the Heisman a season later but his 500 yd + game against Fresno was the deciding factor in that, heck they lost to Nevada a week later.

Maybe since the game was out of hand is the reason he was underused or it was because he is uneffective in big games (garbage yrds). The OU defense stunk it up though but there were 3 defensive guys that were drafted by the NFL in the following draft, Tommy Harris in the 1st - Tedy Lehman in the 2nd - and Derick Strait in the 3rd.
This is about as close to a vision of what he'll be able to do against NFL talent as any, not to mention the UT game.

Jeez, when there is a big game with some NFL defensive talent or superior coaching on the other sideline this guy (bush) seems to be just an above avg player, nothing special. What's up with that. Anyone wanna google up his stats against ND this season.

So I ask the question again, why do we want this guy on the team with the #1 overalll selection? I've got my own smokescreen thoery but I've posted that enough, maybe I'll get another chance later on after a few qoutes come thru.

12.5 yards a carry is not above average. it's phenomenal. They scored 38 points in the first half. Of those 38 points, 21 were from passes completed from over 30 yards. If we should be comparing anything, it's that Leinart threw for 5 touchdowns and 330 yards in only 3 quarters of work. He didn't throw a pass in the 4th.

Last edited by the-wiz; 02-09-2006 at 07:03 PM.
the-wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #4
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm

perfect example of how a certain group of people can do nothing but bash VY
Old 02-09-2006   #5
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Sure. Just keep in mind that VY worked very hard during the offseason to improve his passing.

That is one of the things that made this season so impressive....the fact that he is a hard worker that is willing to improve upon his abilities.
Old 02-09-2006   #6
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
Sure. Just keep in mind that VY worked very hard during the offseason to improve his passing.

That is one of the things that made this season so impressive....the fact that he is a hard worker that is willing to improve upon his abilities.

so they are fair game but with a caveat? ... ... did Bush work hard between 2004 & 2005?
Old 02-09-2006   #7
the-wiz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB

I've never known any college players that worked hard during the offseason. Maybe that was what A&M's problem was this year. Nothing but a bunch of slackers.
Old 02-09-2006   #8
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
so they are fair game but with a caveat? ... ... did Bush work hard between 2004 & 2005?
I don't know....did Bush improve upon anything.

Could have worked on running between the tackles to show that he is not only a speedy-type back.

That is what VY did. There were many criticizing his passing abilities after 2004, so he improved to get better prepared for the NFL.
Old 02-09-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
That was bashing?
Old 02-09-2006   #10
AustinJB
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-wiz
I've never known any college players that worked hard during the offseason. Maybe that was what A&M's problem was this year. Nothing but a bunch of slackers.
Is this sarcastic, or are you actually doubting that VY worked during the offseason?

It's a well-know fact (at least in Austin) that VY got together w/ his young receivers and worked on his passing and timing w/ them. This was all before the coaches were even allowed to work w/ the players. It may not be the norm, but that is just a testament of his dedication and work ethic.
Old 02-09-2006   #11
Wordem
Veteran

LenDale is the better back. RB = Eric Metcalf
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #12
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I, personally, have no desire to bash anyone much less VY .... I will point out hypocrisy when I see it ....
Old 02-09-2006   #13
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordem
LenDale is the better back. RB = Eric Metcalf

mark it down ..
Old 02-09-2006   #14
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
I, personally, have no desire to bash anyone much less VY .... I will point out hypocrisy when I see it ....

there was no hypocrisy. he never even mentioned vince.
Old 02-09-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush was used as a "situational" back in some games for USC.. heck..alot of them..if not all of them.

This is the biggest knock against him.. but really I dont think it matters all that much. You are drafting him based on what he did do when he touched the ball...and what he DID do was amazing.

His stats in the OU game are NOT "bad".. 12.5 yards per rushing attempt is amazing..and 15.5 per reception aint too shabby either.

I can understand questioning his worth as #1 overall, based on the fact that he wasnt the feature back. But what I cant stand is when people say that Lendale was the back that carried that team... that just isnt true. Lendale averaged 14 carries per game... Bush averaged 15.. they split carries, pure and simple.. and when Bush had the ball, you can see just how much better he did. If you think White is a good back, then Bush is a superstar.

Anyway.. put 10 more pounds on Bush (not an issue).. and give him 20 carries a game.. and I will bet you money that he earns his salary as the #1 pick. DD can be our Lendale.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush was still a young player in 2004 and wasn't used as often as he was in 2005, its that simple. Plus when you analyze the game Lendale only had 15 carries and Bush had six, the Trojans weren't running the ball that day. If you remember that game the Trojans were underdogs and heard for two weeks how they wouldn't be able to stop OU's offense are be able to handle OU's defense (sound familar) so for most of the game they just threw 3 wr sets out and piled it on that day.

How about you go pull up Matt Lienart's numbers, because with the numbers he put up that day from the pocket, with your thinking maybe we should draft him.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why wouldn't they be?

Vince's numbers vs OU in '04
Passing: 8-23 - 86 yards , 0 TDs, 0 Ints, 3 sacks, 46.6 passer rating
Rushing: 16 att 54 yards, 0 TDs
Final Score: OU 12, Team Vince zero

A thread bashing Bush's performance against OU in the '05 BCS championship game is really beyond belief. The more he's bashed, the better he looks.
Old 02-09-2006   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
perfect example of how a certain group of people can do nothing but bash Reggie Bush.

See it DOES go both eays
:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie is great. Vince is great. But trading down is the trump of trumps for the Texans.
Old 02-09-2006   #20
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

The thread author (me) never brought up VY.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read