Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default RB acquisition

DD is very good, and Wells is my favorite Texans back/unsung hero, but if we wanted to upgrade this position, what's the best course?

Option 1: Bush
We've talked about this plenty. Stud. Versatile. Bush+Davis salary is a little onerous for the position. Opportunity cost of Young/trade down option.

Option 2: Free Agency
In addition to James, Lewis, Alexander, Ahman Green, DeShaun Foster, et al. PFW is saying Warrick Dunn may get cut. I don't like free agency unless we can get Foster or Dunn for a bargain, as they offer a big change of pace from Davis. With money tied up in Davis, I doubt any of the big name FAs are on our radar.

Option 3: Trade
Ricky Williams seems like the only realistic option here. He works cheap, is durable and has a little better speed than Davis. In a trade down scenario he might be a great fit, if he only costs a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I imagine Denver thinks he can run for 1600 yards again, so he could put Davis out of a job if we decided to make him our feature back. A trade down/Williams acquisition and Carr making huge strides could put this team back near .500. I'm not overly concerned about substance abuse risk, but it's there.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't need a back since we took a first day back last year (Morency). Bush would just be BPA...but it's not a need position with Davis and Morency under contract.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Agreed it's not a need... but if there ever were a year to get a RB this would be it. I think what we have now can be excellent under Kubiak. This draft/FA/trade crop just makes you wonder/salivate.
Old 02-08-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am with the way the wind is blowing and that is the offense will get drastically better with Kubiak. If that logic takes hold then why can't Dom Davis have that type of incremental growth on his numbers that we are expecting others to have?
Old 02-08-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I am with the way the wind is blowing and that is the offense will get drastically better with Kubiak. If that logic takes hold then why can't Dom Davis have that type of incremental growth on his numbers that we are expecting others to have?
because he's not reggie bush. :brickwall
Old 02-08-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I hope we will see that improvement. He'll probably get less opportunites with a better, more balanced offense, but his per carry/catch numbers may well go up.
Old 02-08-2006   #7
Dr. Toro
All Pro

I think durability is a valid concern with DD, it might be tough for him to bear the load alone. Wells probably doesn't have the speed/cutback ability Kubiak is looking for, but I thought he improved with more work this year. I haven't seen enough of Morency to know if he can be that #2 guy.
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2006   #8
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
because he's not reggie bush.

DD is better, and he needs a good o-line to get the numbers yall want, its a team game, and when the line isn't doing there job it makes it tough on the back
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #9
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
I think durability is a valid concern with DD, it might be tough for him to bear the load alone. Wells probably doesn't have the speed/cutback ability Kubiak is looking for, but I thought he improved with more work this year. I haven't seen enough of Morency to know if he can be that #2 guy.
but mike anderson wasn't the best speed and cutback back either and he did well, but i don't know if kubiak was the one that wanted to have him in the game
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
DD is better, and he needs a good o-line to get the numbers yall want, its a team game, and when the line isn't doing there job it makes it tough on the back
I was being sarcastic. I think Bush is the worst way we could go...second worst, VY would be the first. Great players but they need to go to teams who are more developed than ours.

I will try to put in a next time. I just thought the :brickwall might be enough of a hint.
Old 02-08-2006   #11
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
but mike anderson wasn't the best speed and cutback back either and he did well, but i don't know if kubiak was the one that wanted to have him in the game
I like Wells, I appreciated how he answered when called upon this season. I just wonder about a guy whose 250 and longest carry in the past three years is 14 yards. I think Marine Mike is a little faster. He's 20 pounds lighter and has a ton of carries over 40 yards. By no means am I writing Wells off, but I'm not sure how big his upside is in this system.
Old 02-08-2006   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

if we focus on our NEEDS like the O-LINE, TE, and defense...then davis or wells or morency will flourish...good strong runningbacks can be found all over the place...most of the time it's not the back it's the o-line in front of him that make the difference...i seriously hope the texans remember that on draft day and trade down...let the jets or the 49ers make the mistake
Old 02-08-2006   #13
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
if we focus on our NEEDS like the O-LINE, TE, and defense...then davis or wells or morency will flourish...good strong runningbacks can be found all over the place...most of the time it's not the back it's the o-line in front of him that make the difference...i seriously hope the texans remember that on draft day and trade down...let the jets or the 49ers make the mistake
In actuality, the Jets may be the best, worst team I've seen in awhile. When they get back all-pro C Mawae and if Pennington can throw the ball at all, they could be a scary team with an added talent like Bush, but they're in the AFC East, so I don't care...(too much)
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #14
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Morency is actually a prototypical Denver back, but he's already 26 and needs to get in there and prove himself. I doubt the position will be open to competition come training camp, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Morency got his fair share of time and opportunity to earn more carries early in the season.
Old 02-08-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Given a solid offensive line that can consistently open up running gaps, our current backs would be servicable enough to get us on the right track. And seeing how long it can take to build an o-line into a cohesive unit, this should be the priority over BPA. Getting decent RBs is a secondary concern. Teams can have winning seasons with an all-pro line and a servicable back (and the flip side of the coin is an all-pro back behind a bad line, which usually results in a losing season).
Old 02-08-2006   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
I like Wells, I appreciated how he answered when called upon this season. I just wonder about a guy whose 250 and longest carry in the past three years is 14 yards. I think Marine Mike is a little faster. He's 20 pounds lighter and has a ton of carries over 40 yards. By no means am I writing Wells off, but I'm not sure how big his upside is in this system.
Wells contract is up so he may not be back.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #17
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We don't need a back since we took a first day back last year (Morency). Bush would just be BPA...but it's not a need position with Davis and Morency under contract.
Like Vinny said, RB is not a need position, and IMHO, Bush is going to be a bust anyway. I think if we can improve the O-Line, our current stable of RB's will do us well. If we do need a RB this year, there are always value picks later in the draft or we could re-sign Wells. Honestly, I think we should hold off on trying to get a high round RB until we know how our current RB's will do in this system. If they don't work out, try and get Adrian Peterson if he comes out next year. IMHO, "All Day" is now, and will be, a better NFL RB than Bush.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i don't think bush will be a bust...i just think that it would be better served if we stuck with the RB's we have...if we can re-sign wells...and focus on our needs...offensive line is the main problem on this team...kubiak needs to come in and decide what position pitts is best suited for...if he wants to keep guys like mckinney, weigert, or wade...if he brings back m. brown, weary, and wand...techniquely g. jones has already been signed to the falcons so he shouldn't be on our roster anymore...so that leaves us with two official tackles...wand and wade...we need more tackles...we need to figure out the center position...i mean right now there isn't a set player on the o-line...i honestly think only two of last years starters has a chance at starting this year but probably at different positions...and once we get this o-line figured out we'll need a solid tight end...forget rivers, forget joppru...start over at that position and draft a solid TE this year in day one of the draft
Old 02-09-2006   #19
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

It really seems like some people are starting to turn to the "trade down" movement for the upcoming draft.

I think that DD, Morency, and Wells is going to be back, so I think that the Texans have a healthy stable of RBs. I'm looking for Kubiak to spread the carries out between the three. Even if one goes down, there is still two solid backs.
Old 02-09-2006   #20
Frills
Veteran

When has DD lasted a full season?
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read