Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-08-2006   #1
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 6th and 7th Round Projects/Sleepers

i was looking at some old games i have on tape (football season, please start again) and one player kept catching my eyes....so my sleeper is

OG Cody Douglas, Sr. Tennessee..anybody else got any pet projects?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Digger Anderson. He's my main project.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
dcarey20
Veteran

gerrick mcphearson, CB maryland

looks like a 5th rounder right now, he was a good but not great player at maryland. what is amazing about this guy is that he runs a 4.21 40 yard dash.
i cant believe he is so under the radar when he is quite possibly the fastest player in the draft. he is a pretty raw player, but he has a bunch of potential.

another big sleeper is

anthony mix, WR/TE, auburn

6'5" 248 lbs. he is an amazing athlete. runs about a 4.55 40 yard dash. great late 7th rounder. Could go undrafted, but with his athletic ability, someone will take a shot on him.

remember these 2 guys
dcarey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #4
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

WR Jeremy Bloom

Sub-4.3 speed, Freshman All-American in 2002 for Colorado. Excelled as a young receiver and punt returner. Jerome Mathis-type speed, but w/ better football quickness.

IMO, the only reason why he is not a top receiver in this draft is b/c he has been out of football for two years. NCAA denied him eligibility b/c he is also an Olympic skier and is a favorite to win the gold. Great heart and work ethic; is already a professional athlete so he has dedication, etc.

He'll run at the combine so he may gain interest between now and the draft....but if he's there in the 7th, I'd love to take him and give him a chance to improve and eventually compete for our #2 receiver; could immediately take over for Pburnt as our punt returner IMO.
Old 02-08-2006   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
WR Jeremy Bloom

Sub-4.3 speed, Freshman All-American in 2002 for Colorado. Excelled as a young receiver and punt returner. Jerome Mathis-type speed, but w/ better football quickness.

IMO, the only reason why he is not a top receiver in this draft is b/c he has been out of football for two years. NCAA denied him eligibility b/c he is also an Olympic skier and is a favorite to win the gold. Great heart and work ethic; is already a professional athlete so he has dedication, etc.

He'll run at the combine so he may gain interest between now and the draft....but if he's there in the 7th, I'd love to take him and give him a chance to improve and eventually compete for our #2 receiver; could immediately take over for Pburnt as our punt returner IMO.
Yeah, I have heard of this guy, I think he will get noticed more, they already did a segment on ESPN about him. I think he would be a great late pick too. Like you said, has alot of heart.
Old 02-08-2006   #6
BlueThunder
Veteran

FS Jamal Fudge Clemsen underclassman Enters the draft raw with great instinks and might be one of the most gifted FSs in the draft A wiry Clayton Homes type loves to mix it up in the run and pass but still needs work reading plays..If he was to stay in school next year, he has the talent to be one of the top Safetys in the draft.

LT Willie Hall Middle Tennessee State Flying under most radars but not mine.Going against the like of Merriman,Ware,Pollok and many other hes faced in the tough east he only gave up 0 sacks,,,Thats right!!Ratios 6.6 318 5.16/40 with good technic,long arms and fast enough feet to play at the next level...

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-08-2006 at 04:19 PM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, 4 responses and already 2 guys with sub-4.3 speed--seems like they are growing on trees. Nevermind that there are only a few guys ever who have actually clocked that at the NFL combine and none has come close to a 4.21. Pre-draft hype is so amusing.
Old 02-08-2006   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, 4.3 is really hard to do. Bloom might have it, I've never heard of the other guy.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I should have put in my first post about Jeremy Bloom that I don't think he is anywhere as fast as sub 4.3 speed in the forty, I think I heard he is around 4.5 maybe 4.4
Old 02-08-2006   #10
TexansCanes
All Pro

yeah i know they say sub 4.3 but don't expect that at the combine. he is very fast and expect no more than 4.45 from him though and that still might be a little high. the guy is fast, if you saw the piece on him you could see it. of course it all depends on how much training he was been doing for football.
Old 02-08-2006   #11
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
Yeah I should have put in my first post about Jeremy Bloom that I don't think he is anywhere as fast as sub 4.3 speed in the forty, I think I heard he is around 4.5 maybe 4.4
Whether on a football field or a ski run, Bloom had no trouble standing out once he began competing. Speed was his trademark. He has run the 40-yard dash in 4.25 seconds, and he displayed a blazing brand of ski speed in coming from behind to win the U.S. Olympic trials in December.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...portrait_x.htm

After the Olympics Bloom, who was a standout wide receiver and punt returner at the University of Colorado, plans to work out for NFL scouts. He hopes that his blazing speed (4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash), strength and skills will get him drafted come April. ?It's about a dream of mine,? says Bloom. ?I'm all about challenges.?

http://www.olympic-usa.org/11485_43369.htm

There are several other articles that claim that Bloom is this fast....I guess we'll see. He'll run at the combine
Old 02-08-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20
gerrick mcphearson, CB maryland

looks like a 5th rounder right now, he was a good but not great player at maryland. what is amazing about this guy is that he runs a 4.21 40 yard dash.
i cant believe he is so under the radar when he is quite possibly the fastest player in the draft. he is a pretty raw player, but he has a bunch of potential.

another big sleeper is

anthony mix, WR/TE, auburn

6'5" 248 lbs. he is an amazing athlete. runs about a 4.55 40 yard dash. great late 7th rounder. Could go undrafted, but with his athletic ability, someone will take a shot on him.

remember these 2 guys
I doubt Mix lasts to the 7th, he could possibly play WR but has the size to be a smaller TE too, and good athleticism, so I think someone will definitely look at him before the 7th, probably by the end of the 4th IMO.

I also seriously doubt McPhearson actually runs a 4.21, that's getting down to challenging Darrell Green as the fastest NFL player ever. I've heard he claims that he was timed at that, but being timed once in your career under uncertain conditions and by your college coach doesn't hold a lot of weight, we'll see what he does at the combine and see if he can prove it there and make a name for himself.

Cody Douglas looks pretty nice too, could be a good late round addition for that interior OLineman that I'm hoping we get to back Wiegert up for a year and then take over his spot in 2007.

I have heard of Bloom too, and he seems like an interesting prospect later in the round, I'm not sure I want to add him to the Texans since he seems mainly suited to be a return man and we already have Mathis for that.

I'm not sure how much of a sleeper he is, but T.J. Williams the TE from N.C. State has impressed me lately. He is supposed to be 6'3" 260 lbs., has allegedly run a 40 in 4.48 before, and he can bench press over 500 lbs. I'm not sure how great his hands will be in the NFL, but they look pretty good and he looks to have the strength to be a good blocker and nice size and athleticisim to go with it. Those seem like a nice combo of skills if they are true measurements.
Dnaieal Manning from Abilen Christian (TX) is another sleeper that hasn't gotten much recognition, but is fairly high on a lot of the "professional" draft boards done by people that have the time to study all these extra guys. He is from a D-2 school, but he is a CB that is supposed to be 5'11", 205 lbs. that can run a 4.32 40 and bench over 400 lbs. and around 20 reps in the bench press test, not bad strength for a CB and he has nice speed and size, assuming all those measurements are genuinely accruate.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 02-08-2006 at 05:06 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #13
Apoch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
WR Jeremy Bloom

Yeah Jeremy Bloom is a very good sleeper prospect. A very fast, all-round great athlete who has a lot of upside. He has also been working with Ed McCaffrey to get ready for the pump to the pros. I don't know how many of you guys have followed Ed McCaffrey, but he is one of the hardest working, sell-your-body-for-the-game type people you will ever see. He would wear junior high shoulder pads and cut slits in the toes of his 1 size too small shoes in order to make himself faster and lighter. He and Rod Smith were only the second pair of receivers ever to both have 100 catches in a season.

Also, a guy I have been very openly high on for a while is Brando Twito out of Pittsburg State. He is a very big TE right now; 6'5" 278lb. His athleticism is tremendous, and even as a pure TE he has a good shot at the NFL. The better option, however, is to convert him to OT much like Matt Lepsis did. It would take him two years to fully make the switch well, but just like Lepsis it could be well worth it. In the meantime he would be a great goalline contributor as a second tackle who doubles as a pass catching threat. He looks like a 6-7th rounder right now, and I think he would be a great guy to go for with our 7th round pick.
Apoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Roderkius Wright - stuff floating around this board about him

Nick Reid - KU jayhawk baby!!

The DE from Cal Poly
Old 02-08-2006   #15
BlueThunder
Veteran

Randell "Frilight" William runs a 4.02/40 but couldn't catch a pass in games.Fridays he set highlight film and inheared the the nickname.I think its possible the number are correct because noone on the Cowboys was faster and at the time we had Galloway and Rocket and they couldn't touch him.I have a lot of respect for Jerome Mathis because he got on the computer clock.With his eye poping numbers I know he's going to be great.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-08-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2006   #16
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

RE Bloom:
I know nobody here holds Kiper in the highest esteem, but in his chat today he said he saw Bloom going between the 3rd and 4th rounds. I expected 5th at the earliest, he's probably to risky/pricey for us to draft him before the 6th. Although, if anybody is worth a gamble it's him.

Last edited by Dr. Toro; 02-08-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are a couple of my longshot interest:

RD. 6 - Quincy Butler, TCU, CB, 6'1"
http://gofrogs.collegesports.com/spo..._quincy00.html

RD. 7 - Chris Kuper, North Dakota, OG, 6'3", 303
http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/...PLAYER_ID=3494

http://www.shrinegame.com/pdf/East-W...ad-1-17-06.pdf

Last edited by Texian; 02-08-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #18
stevo3883
All Pro

reggie real deal mcneal

at FS
Old 02-08-2006   #19
BlueThunder
Veteran

Vince Young
Old 02-08-2006   #20
bdiddy
Veteran

Greg Eslinger - Center - Minnesota

He will probably be a 4th or 5th rounder and will be our starting center next year. He is small by NFL standards (290 lbs), but fits the zone blocking scheme that is also run by the Golden Gophers. He, Colledge, and Bush would be a hell of a start to improving the offense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read