Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2006   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Trade that makes Sense

If the Jets are going to Franchise Abraham and are willing to trade him, their #4 pick and their 3rd RD pick to Houston for the #1 pick, this would be fair value. Houston could take D'Brick and will have addressed two of their most pressing needs, D & O line.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it...
jaayteetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
whiskeyrbl

The only thing wrong here is in a few mocks on othr websites , some experts say that the Jets would take VY NO would take Lienart,and Tenn would take D'Brick, now if that was the case would you take Bush #4 ?
Old 02-08-2006   #4
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
The only thing wrong here is in a few mocks on othr websites , some experts say that the Jets would take VY NO would take Lienart,and Tenn would take D'Brick, now if that was the case would you take Bush #4 ?
Uhh, yea, you could get him cheaper in that scenario.
Old 02-08-2006   #5
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like that.
Old 02-08-2006   #6
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

That trade plays into favor of what we want. Because even if Bush falls to someone before us, we'll still have a shot at Brick, which is what we need more than Bush.
Old 02-08-2006   #7
Tex-fan0604
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
That trade plays into favor of what we want. Because even if Bush falls to someone before us, we'll still have a shot at Brick, which is what we need more than Bush.
Thats a good point I actually think that would benefit us better than drafting BUsh or VY.Getting two players that can help you team get better right away is better than just one.
Tex-fan0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2006   #8
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

What is everyone's obsession with D'Brickashaw? Just asking.
Old 02-08-2006   #9
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
He's clearly the class of this draft at his position, a position that we are in desperate need at right now. Been in desperate need since the inception of the franchise for that matter.
Old 02-08-2006   #10
Caphorn
Rookie

Quote:
He's a badass blocker. That's why.
Caphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #11
cadahnic
All Pro

It is because he is the best LT in the draft, last year there was a small pocket of individuals that wanted Alex Barron. D'Brick is the best LT in the draft and he may also be able to play LG, but he is not the most complete Tackle in the draft that honor goes to Eric Winston. My basis for the ranking is speed, strength, toughness, nasty streak, FIQ, and ability to play multiple positions.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
He is the best LT prospect in the draft and OLine is definitely a need of ours, but I'd still prefer the more versatile Eric Winston which we could probably get in the 2nd round at #33.

As for the trade, I don't think that is quite fair value according to the charts, I think we should get the #4, their 2nd this year, and 2nd next year in addition to Abraham, although if you decide that trading down is your top choice and you'd rather do that and get whatever you can out of it then your proposed trade would be fine. I don't know exactly how much the Jets would give up, but I think somewhere at least in between what I had and what you posted would work.

If we did make that trade, I'm quite sure that the Jets would take Bush. Curtis Martin is getting old, there is still some confidence in New York that Pennington is their guy, and it sounded like the Jets would be quite excited about getting Reggie, and Reggie had earlier mentioned that he'd like NY. That would leave us D'Brick or Mario Williams at #4, while Abraham solidifies one DE, I would probably prefer to take Mario at #4 to have two great DEs anchoring our DLine, then take Eric Winston at #33 to help our OLine, and if it looks like he'll be gone by #33 we can trade that and one other later pick (after trading with the Jets, we should have either another 2nd or 3rd rounder to offer) to move up a bit and grab him.

If the Jets do take Vince or Leinart, then the Saints would take the other QB, the Titans would take D'Brick, and we could grab Reggie at #4, pay him less money than we would have at #1, and we have additional draft pick(s) out of it.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #13
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
It is because he is the best LT in the draft, last year there was a small pocket of individuals that wanted Alex Barron. D'Brick is the best LT in the draft and he may also be able to play LG, but he is not the most complete Tackle in the draft that honor goes to Eric Winston. My basis for the ranking is speed, strength, toughness, nasty streak, FIQ, and ability to play multiple positions.
Right now. But I think in a year or two, under an NFL training regiment and coaching, it wont even be close.

That is why I personally like Ferguson/Lawson better than Williams/Winston. Feguson is faster, quicker and more athletic than any LT to enter the NFL draft in recent history. He can be taught better run blocking technique... he can get stronger , but Winston will never learn athleticism. When Brick gets stronger and learns to run block better he will be in another class of LT as Winston.
Old 02-08-2006   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah if you trade down and get all those picks and Bush still falls to us, you have to take him. If not then you pick up Mario Williams and make a D-line to be reckoned with.
Old 02-08-2006   #15
whiskeyrbl

MORK if that scenario happens we have #4 And D,Brick and Bush are gone,I agree Take Mario,now at #33 if Winston is gone what about Colledge,and if we got a nother @nd from NY use it to take Blue S,and use #65 On Joseph CB,#66 on Mangold C.
Old 02-08-2006   #16
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Yall didn't watch Winston much this year then....he had a bad year.
Old 02-08-2006   #17
mikoto
Rookie

kbourda:

I don't get it either. He's quick, has good technique to the outside, but gets beat sometimes when his guy moves back inside, usually when his guy makes a power move to the inside. He is not a huge guy, but he does have long arms. That said, he can get into you on the pass rush but it is common knowledge that he isn't a dominant run blocker, and can occasionally be Bull-rushed by the larger DE's in College, not to mention the NFL. If I draft a top five lineman he better have the whole packege, no questions asked, or forget it.

Personally, I like the kid from Miami better, provided he's healthy. He's a beast and will never get pushed around. He can run block with the best. He is definately not as quick as D'brick but then again he's 6'8" and you have to run farther to get around him.

That said, our Tackles aren't our major problem. Our biggest problem is our pocket collapsing from the inside, not from the outside. McKinney can't hold back a 10 year old girl. He gets absolutely abused by the larger defensive tackles in the league. Fix his spot and make sure Wade doesn't get isolated against above average pass rushers and you would have a substantial line improvement with minimal personall changes. That is what you want because there definately is something to be said about cohesion. If we do draft a LT, I would move Pitts to RT, or let the rookie play RT, but then we would still have the problem of having no pocket for our QB to step-up into so that he can, well, step into his throws properly, off his front foot, instead of having to sling it with his body going every which way.

This is why I advocate getting skill help in the first round. There will be some nasty Guards available in the second and third because this is a banner year for tackles. Also, this is a good year for TE's and we should be able to get a credible threat in the second or third.

I'm telling you, with those changes, in addition to an actual NFL scheme our entire offensive dynamic can be vastly improved *this year*. We can be good on offense right away with just those simple changes. Defense is a different story...
mikoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #18
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
That's true...he didn't have a good year, but they also had a youngin back there playing QB. Was he a true-freshman or RS Fresh? Either way, Winston is still a solid pick-up.
Old 02-08-2006   #19
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Right now. But I think in a year or two, under an NFL training regiment and coaching, it wont even be close.

That is why I personally like Ferguson/Lawson better than Williams/Winston. Feguson is faster, quicker and more athletic than any LT to enter the NFL draft in recent history. He can be taught better run blocking technique... he can get stronger , but Winston will never learn athleticism. When Brick gets stronger and learns to run block better he will be in another class of LT as Winston.
Do you think Ferguson is a better LT prospect than Gallery coming out. Gallery was the full package and he would be the LT if Sims wasnt so solid. I understand your point and think it would be great if it ended up that way. I just think the talent difference between Williams and Lawson is pretty large and the talent difference between Ferguson and Winston(who was the best prospect before the injury) is much smaller. I also have a tendency to want the better on defense than on offense. Also, to Bradk10 yeah i watched Winston this year and other than his game against FS he was solid. He gave up less sacks than Ferguson and won the ACC Top Lineman award over him. That is a pretty impressive feat because the ACC has some linemen.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #20
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
See, that was about to be my second point I was about to make. Because I saw what you saw. He had an up and down year this past year plus he had injuries. So i'm starting to believe most people are actually going off of what is being read and said rather than just seeing for yourself. Don't get me wrong D'Brick is good but I think you can get McNeil from Auburn just the same.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read