Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-08-2006   #1
BlueThunder
Veteran

Default Just Another Plan

Offseason Cap Saving Cuts

Tony Banks
Cory Bradford
Benny Joppru
Marcellus Rivers
Maron Norris
Tony Hollings
Steven McKinney
Todd Washington
Jerry Deloach
Junior Ioane
Trade Deshaun Polk
Troy Evans
Marco Coleman
Trade Philip Buchanon
Jason Simons
Ramond Walker
Gary Walker

Additions to install the new West coast offense and 43 defense

RB Edgerrin James
FB Shaun Bryson
C LeCharles Bentley
CB Nate Clements
FS Lance Shultzer
LB Will Weatherspoon
LB Cato June
DE Kyle Van Bosch
DE Robert Mathis

Draft

QB Vince Young
LB D'qwell Jackson
TE David Thomas
G Laitusi Lutui
DE Willie Evans
TE Cooper Wallace
T/G Troy Reddeck
WR Jared Ellerson
Plus 2 extra picks in 4 and 5
What do ya'll think of this plan?

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-08-2006 at 12:33 AM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

This ISNT MADDEN .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

No way we could fit that under the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #4
BlueThunder
Veteran

We can do it with all the cuts I made.The only thing I have to say,is use your gears in the corners.This baby has the ba77s to do anything ya want.

I can't wait see Kubiak crank her up and take her around the block.

Houston Texans To The Top ,,,,,,,,
Old 02-08-2006   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder
We can do it with all the cuts I made.The only thing I have to say,is use your gears in the corners.This baby has the ba77s to do anything ya want.

I can't wait see Kubiak crank her up and take her around the block.

Houston Texans To The Top ,,,,,,,,
You'll be waiting a while for this plan to take place. It is next to impossible to have that big of a personnel turnover in one season, making all those cuts/trades will save a little cap room but not as much as you think, plus Gary Walker has to stay unless he retires because he is a huge cap hit to get rid of. That being the case, hopefully we can restructure his deal to make it cheaper for him to stay. Cutting all those people also means you have to find suitable replacements, and while cutting them alone saves money when you factor in that cap hit plus the cost of replacing them you're going to end up being about where you are anyways.
There is no way we sign Edgerrin or that he comes here. He is going to cost way more than we can fit under the cap, he won't come here, and we have solid RBs already. If you want a new RB, at least get Reggie Bush who is exceptionally fast and adds something new in that to the RB core.
There isn't any reason to sign Bryson.
LeCharles Bentley would be nice and I hope we get him, but unfortunately he said he wants a lot of money, wants to play for a winner, and has mentioned he would like to go home to Cleveland to play, so it is looking less likely that we can bring him here.
Nate Clements could also be a good pickup, but I don't see him coming here if he even hits the open market.
Lance Schulter doesn't make much sense either.
Will Witherspoon would be an ok acquisition, but I'm not sure he leaves Carolina and I don't see him coming here either, but I wouldn't have a problem with signing him.
Cato June doesn't make much sense.
Kyle Vanden Bosch is a good player but I think we could find a more useful guy in free agency.
Robert Mathis is a part-time DE and there is not much reason to get him, especially if we get Vanden Bosch too.

I'm not going to argue about drafting Vince, I think that would not be the best idea but ok.
I'm not very impressed with D'Qwell Jackson and I know we can do better in the draft, and if you want to bring in Witherspoon and June this pick makes no sense.
Lutui makes no sense at all for our offense and zone blocking.
David Thomas would be an ok choice for a TE.
I don't know why we'd draft a second TE in Cooper Wallace.
David Evans would be an option, but I don't think he's much if any improvement over what we have and what you're wanting to bring in.

Your plan is very unrealistic. It would not at all be possible with the salary cap, and you add a bunch of mid-level talent at a few positions that aren't really a big need for us. We need a lot of help on offensive line and other than signing Bentley and then drafting Lutui, which would be a horrible fit for our line, you don't address that at all. Drafting two TEs makes no sense at all. I also don't know where your additional 4th and 5th round picks come from, Buchanon might be able to get a 4th but Polk won't get anything in a trade. I also don't see us bringing in a west coast offense, that isn't Kubiak's style and you're also not bringing in the personnel to run one.

I applaud the time and effort but this is a really bad and unrealistic plan.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 02-08-2006 at 10:22 AM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #6
cadahnic
All Pro

Mork this is one of those scenarious were you have to include drafting Marquez Bean and Corbin Williams. They will turn this team around especially if we go with this plan.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Mork this is one of those scenarious were you have to include drafting Marquez Bean and Corbin Williams. They will turn this team around especially if we go with this plan.
That would be a sweet deal, I'd be willing to give up David Carr to get the top 2 picks in the draft for those guys, and they'd be worth the $100 million combined salary.
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2006   #8
66cobra
Veteran

Morknolle and cadahnic,
I usually am pretty knowledgeable about college players, but I must be having a brain freeze. Who are Marquez Bean and Corbin Williams? I tried to Google them but no results on the first page for them.
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #9
cadahnic
All Pro

sorry cobra that is an inside joke referring to these two guys that came up on a Madden franchise season we played. They were both rated 99 as rookies, it was like a weird glitch but they were the greatest players ever.
Old 02-08-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cobra
Morknolle and cadahnic,
I usually am pretty knowledgeable about college players, but I must be having a brain freeze. Who are Marquez Bean and Corbin Williams? I tried to Google them but no results on the first page for them.
Cada is right, we had a Madden franchise together back in the day and these two guys (were uploaded from the NCAA game) came into the league as easily the best CB and DE in the game. In case you're interested, this is how good they were:
I don't remember for sure anymore and would have to look it up, but Bean was a 6'3", 215 lb. CB with 99 speed, agility, and acceleration, 78 catching, 68 tackling, 72 strength, and he could return kicks. Corbin was a 6'7" 285 lb. DE with 89 speed, 97 strength, 82 agility and I think 95 acceleration. The two of them were beasts and produced several productive seasons on there (Bean had seasons in the range of 11-18 INTs per year and Corbin was always in the 19-32 sack range), but they demanded like $12-13 million a season when they entered the league so they drained the cap quite a bit.

That aside, I can't believe I actually just listed the attributes for guys on Madden, so back to the real NFL.
Old 02-08-2006   #11
whiskeyrbl

Boy let me tell ya we have alot of dead weight overpaid players that we can't even trade.Maybe we could package Coleman/Walker/Deloach and see if there are any takers,hell for future draft picks if that is all we could get.We could ease the cap a lil' there.Some additions we could look at are ,S Tank Williams,OLB Peterson SF or Witherspoon CAR,DE Wright BAL,WR antonio Bryant CLE,and C Flannagan GB. I would flat out cut Banks,Bradford,and Hollings,and maybe Evans but he is pretty good on SP team.In the Draft I would go this way:
#1 Bush RB USC ( the versatility of this player is hard to ignore)
#2Colledge OT Boise St.( Solid LT could move Pitts over to LG)
#3a Nick Mangold C Ohio ST(Get Flannagan and groom 1/2 yrs.)
#3b Johnathon Joseph CB South Carolia ( Ball hawk,Heavy Hitter, Dunta clone,groom1/2 a year hope PBuc having decent year,Trade PBuc insert here)
#4 Elvis Dumerville DE Louisville( Solid player lots of upside)
#5 Settestrom OG Minn (groom while we figure how to get rid of Wade)
#6 Thomas TE TX( good hands,will go across the middle)
#7 Eric Meyer QB E.Washington( Strong arm reads D well picks up Blitzs well,Quality QB)
well what cha think
Old 02-08-2006   #12
cadahnic
All Pro

Dont like College or Dumerville, but if the rest happend I would not argue, not sure on your FA acquisitions, but would not argue either each has been productive in this league. Joseph would be the steal of the draft btw. Pitts is a better T than G and Dumerville is a perfect 34OLB or Strongside OLB in a 4-3. The guy is only 5'11" and there are some quesitons about his top end potential. I could see the pick and in the 4th he is value, but I would likely rather someone else.
Old 02-08-2006   #13
cadahnic
All Pro

whiskey this would be my thought without the FA acquisitions. Obviously we trade down.

1. Mario Williams DE NCST (anchors the D-line and improves pass rush and run support)
2a Eric Winston LT Miami (most versatile OT in the draft)
2b Nick Mangold C/G OST ( starts at LG/RG depending on cuts)
3a Jonathan Joseph CB USC (everything you said)
3b Maurice Stovall WR ND (not sure he will fall this far, but if he does we have to take him)
4. Rocky McIntosh MLB Miami (a Vilma-esque type LB)
5. T.J. Williams or David Thomas TE (we need a TE and this is great value)
6. Marcus Maxey FS Miami (a ballhawk FS who enjoys hitting)
7. Meyer or McNeil QB/WR (like meyer dont know much about him, McNeil is just an athlete)
Old 02-08-2006   #14
whiskeyrbl

I LIke that one,only one thing is McIntosh,We have so many LBs,and with Polk and Orr looking promising ,Wong coming back and signing Greenwood last year I would have to go Oline in that spotor maybe a ballhawk S.
Old 02-08-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
whiskey this would be my thought without the FA acquisitions. Obviously we trade down.

1. Mario Williams DE NCST (anchors the D-line and improves pass rush and run support)
2a Eric Winston LT Miami (most versatile OT in the draft)
2b Nick Mangold C/G OST ( starts at LG/RG depending on cuts)
3a Jonathan Joseph CB USC (everything you said)
3b Maurice Stovall WR ND (not sure he will fall this far, but if he does we have to take him)
4. Rocky McIntosh MLB Miami (a Vilma-esque type LB)
5. T.J. Williams or David Thomas TE (we need a TE and this is great value)
6. Marcus Maxey FS Miami (a ballhawk FS who enjoys hitting)
7. Meyer or McNeil QB/WR (like meyer dont know much about him, McNeil is just an athlete)
I like this idea and it is pretty similar to one I had posted recently. I think Jonathan Joseph shuold be a good CB but there might be other better ones that slip that far. Stovall would be nice, but I think the team will go with a TE somewhere in the 1st day, so maybe one of the top few slips down. I've also been studying up some and am beginning to really like T.J. Williams too, although we could most likely still get him in the 4th. I like getting a possession WR like Stovall or another big guy like that, but I'm not sure how high they'll look for one. Rocky McIntosh or Anthony Schlegel from Ohio St. would be nice later round MLBs, and we could probably get one of them in the 5th and grab a FS in the 4th, maybe Bullocks from Nebraska. Reggie McNeal or Michael Robinson in the 6th or 7th would be interesting, as either could convert to WR but still be a backup QB and used in trick plays like Antwan Randle El.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
I LIke that one,only one thing is McIntosh,We have so many LBs,and with Polk and Orr looking promising ,Wong coming back and signing Greenwood last year I would have to go Oline in that spotor maybe a ballhawk S.
I agree, I think we could go for a FS in the 4th. We do need a true MLB though, Polk is about the only one on our team and I don't think he's really all that good and don't think he's a long-term solution at all, but McIntosh or Schlegel should be around in the 5th. Wong has played MLB before but I think he is better at OLB, and Greenwood definitely should not be at MLB.
Old 02-08-2006   #16
66cobra
Veteran

first of all, regarding the Bean and Williams players, dang!!!!!! I can see why you would want them to be real.

Anyway, back to the "real" NFL, I like cada's draft alot; I really like Stovall at WR, but I think a more feasible pick (I doubt he falls that far) would be Anthony Fasano, TE or even Klopfenstein, TE from Colorado, in a later round.

Oops, I didn't see you picking TE in the 5th round, but I still stand by my above statement and take BPA OL at that point.

Last edited by 66cobra; 02-08-2006 at 02:10 PM.
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #17
BlueThunder
Veteran

The reason for all this thinking is because this play is for a Championship only.You don't go this plan if not planning on winning.As for the Linemen,there 2 of the best guard prospects in the draft.As far as the draft goes that can all be changed.The reason I got rid of 2 TEs 2 RBs and add from the draft is to upgrade and look for players that can catch and do more then what were getting from what we have.It also puts them in the rookie cap bracket which has its own ceiling.Not only that either but were not only dumping cap,were getting the players that fit into the new 43 defense.Why carry players that don't fit when for the same price we could get the right players.You say we have plenty of runners but Wells and Davis are really all we have proven worth keeping.I want to see the roster flipped and new players brought in to get us on the right track.We need cover LBers on the outside and these 2 LBers have proven they can get it done. The 2 DE come from the system we want to run and that would instantly give stability to the defense.I don't want to see Kubiak fail but if he listens to Morknolle then well lose next year also.We have a new coach we need a new additude and enough playmakers to change things around.It may not have to be the players above but, we can slip under the radar and grab players like Amaad Green and Alan Kampman for mid level and structure there new contracts to our advantage.These players give us the flexability to to man up.Why pay veteran salary to retrain Veterans when they will be gone before they ever make any use for us,when we can train rookie that will be here a decade.

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-08-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder
The reason for all this thinking is because this play is for a Championship only.You don't go this plan if not planning on winning.As for the Linemen,there 2 of the best guard prospects in the draft.As far as the draft goes that can all be changed.The reason I got rid of 2 TEs 2 RBs and add from the draft is to upgrade and look for players that can catch and do more then what were getting from what we have.It also puts them in the rookie cap bracket which has its own ceiling.Not only that either but were not only dumping cap,were getting the players that fit into the new 43 defense.Why carry players that don't fit when for the same price we could get the right players.You say we have plenty of runners but Wells and Davis are really all we have proven worth keeping.I want to see the roster flipped and new players brought in to get us on the right track.We need cover LBers on the outside and these 2 LBers have proven they can get it done. The 2 DE come from the system we want to run and that would instantly give stability to the defense.I don't want to see Kubiak fail but if he listens to Morknolle then well lose next year also.We have a new coach we need a new additude and enough playmakers to change things around.It may not have to be the players above but, we can slip under the radar and grab players like Amaad Green and Alan Kampman for mid level and structure there new contracts to our advantage.These players give us the flexability to to man up.Why pay veteran salary to retrain Veterans when they will be gone before they ever make any use for us,when we can train rookie that will be here a decade.
I understand what you're trying to build and applaud your lofty expectations for our team, but unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that your plan is economically impossible with a salary cap, and a lot of these picks would not help the team at all and you still ignore improving the OLine with players that fit.
Old 02-08-2006   #19
BlueThunder
Veteran

Morknolle,Figure this plan up using the supplied above cap chart and tell me what the saving will be,,,,? I got about 23 million with cap rising to 95 million.Basicly around 70 million and that why i took the time to unload overpriced Gray Walker that don't fit in the new system anyway.Its another reason i traded Philips 1 million contract and snagged a solid cover CB for maybe 2 million more.

You know that when signing FA a solid player can be had and even signing bonuses can be Pro Rated.We will have as much, mostlikely more cap then most teams to pick up a few solid veterans.Now with the money saved we can plug in a veteran unit with a head start and draft our future thru the draft..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-08-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2006   #20
BlueThunder
Veteran

There no since in paying Veteran money for players to teach them a new system.There also is no since in paying low money for players that arn't getting it done.I would rather pay 2 mil more and get someone to shut something down for us.I would also want to pay low to train players that i know will be able to get done in the future while they learn.I believe that it all starts in the front office and trickles down.I saved players loike Payne because I believe this team has a shot and a Championship with some solid personal moves this next year 2006.

I didn't have the numbers till monday so i have a lot of work to do re-adjusting the roster and going with improving youth.These old dogs arn't worth teaching new tricks..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 02-08-2006 at 04:41 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read