Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-07-2006   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default compensation picks??

i was thinking about this earlier today...does anyone know if we get the compensation picks for guys like sharper and glenn since we released them or is it only if they are UFA's that we were not able to re-sign?
Old 02-07-2006   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i was thinking about this earlier today...does anyone know if we get the compensation picks for guys like sharper and glenn since we released them or is it only if they are UFA's that we were not able to re-sign?
It's the latter. Texans will get no credit in the compensation formula for Sharper or Glenn. The Texans signed Greenwood, Riley, and Sanders as UFAs. The Texans lost McCree and Wright as UFAs. Based on that, I don't see the Texans picking up compensation picks this year. Unless it's at the bottom of the 7th round to meet the required number of picks in the CBA.
Old 02-07-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Glenn and Sharper weren't free agents and they weren't "lost" (they were released outright) so they were not covered by the compensatory pick process.

As I understand it, the compensatory selections are geared toward compensating teams who have a net loss in free agency. The net loss is determined by some top secret formula derived by the NFL and is only applicable to FA's who the losing team made at least the minimum effort to retain - like losing an RFA after you offer a tender - or losing a UFA that you are involved in negotiations with... but not if you outright let a guy go... at least that's the way I understand it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #4
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

I may be wrong on this - but I thought we were supposed to get a comp pick out of the P-burnt trade for lack of PT and the deal turniggn out to be a bust?
Old 02-07-2006   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

in that case we might have a decent compensation pick with regards to wright and mccree because both started for teams that made it to the playoffs...and in the case of mccree made a big impact on atleast one of the playoff games...i'm thinking a 6th rounders for both maybe a 5th if we're lucky

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read