Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-06-2006   #1
TEXANFAN23435
Veteran

Default Screw Bud Adams...

I never said anything about this, but I was really peeved that Bud Adams was allowed to skip town and take ownership rights to the "OILERS" name with him. When he got to Nashville, the fans let him know that they did not want to be known as the OILERS. When he agreed to rename the team, why did the NFL allow him to keep the OILERS name??? Cleveland got to keep their name so when they got their franchise back, the fans got their TEAM back!!! The moment the NFL picked Houston for a new franchise, McNair should have been given the option of keeping the OILERS name, not to mention the inclusion of the fans vote on this matter.

Now, I for one, always thought that the Columbia Blue in the uniform color scheme should have been changed to a Midnight Blue to make the overall scheme more menacing. But, in lue of what Bud Adams got away with... I would love to see the Texans and McNair stick it to Adams by adopting a SILVER, RED, COLUMBIA BLUE, and WHITE scheme. Bud Adams does not own the color scheme rights nor was the fans of Tennesee going to allow him to use it on their team. I would really enjoy sticking it to Bud Adams!!!!!

Thought this would be a fun discussion, a break from the norm and allow the MB fans to slice and dice this concept anyway they want. If my artistic side hits me, I may attach a conceptual rendering of what's rolling around in my mind.
TEXANFAN23435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to admitt when the Oilers left I was at least greatfull the colors went with them. However seeing the clips this weekend of Moon throw the prettiest pass ever thrown by an NFL QB in the Columbia blue kinda made me proud and sad all at the same time.

Those are OUR players. They represented OUR team and Tenn has NO right to celebrate them. Moon, Munchack, Matthews, Campbell, Givens, Jones, Drewhill, Jeffries, Fuller, Smith, Dishman.....Ours and ours alone. The history should stay in Houston and McNair should incorporate a little somthing into reliant stadium to celebrate OUR athletes. Some of us still feel strongly about the Oilers. The Texans are our team now but it would still be nice to have a little somthing acknowledging there excistance. You just cant erase 36 years of memory.
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #3
TEXANFAN23435
Veteran

VINNY, yes I'm 4 years late with this post but who cares. When I saw the Warren Moon clips for the HOF it brought back memories and the anger of what Bud Adams got away with. Wouldn't you have, at least wanted a vote in this??? I'm for bringing back the city's NFL identity at least in some way.
TEXANFAN23435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
aren't you like 4 years too late on this one?
Would you rather continue that other debate .... Ive passed on those threads for .... about a month .... nice to have something else to talk about ... and since the Oilers reunion was a recent event I think its an appropriate time for discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
I have to admitt when the Oilers left I was at least greatfull the colors went with them. However seeing the clips this weekend of Moon throw the prettiest pass ever thrown by an NFL QB in the Columbia blue kinda made me proud and sad all at the same time.

Those are OUR players. They represented OUR team and Tenn has NO right to celebrate them. Moon, Munchack, Matthews, Campbell, Givens, Jones, Drewhill, Jeffries, Fuller, Smith, Dishman.....Ours and ours alone. The history should stay in Houston and McNair should incorporate a little somthing into reliant stadium to celebrate OUR athletes. Some of us still feel strongly about the Oilers. The Texans are our team now but it would still be nice to have a little somthing acknowledging there excistance. You just cant erase 36 years of memory.

Good post .... I couldnt agree more .... I followed the Oilers since I was a child , Knew Dante and a few others ....That was Houstons Team ....

Edit ....

Sad thing is it LOOKS like Ole Bud is gonna get to laugh at Houstons expense again with the 3rd pick in the coming draft ....Im dreading the thought

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #5
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those are OUR players. They represented OUR team and Tenn has NO right to celebrate them. Moon, Munchack, Matthews, Campbell, Givens, Jones, Drewhill, Jeffries, Fuller, Smith, Dishman.....Ours and ours alone.
I agree, BUT we lost all that when the team left and the Astrodome was all but empty for their last game. It should of been full to support the TEAM not the stuffed shirts in the main office. It should of been full to protest OUR TEAM leaving and to make it a mental point that if we EVER get a team back in Houston, that the same kind of CR*P that made them leave in the first place don't ever happen again. IMHO
Old 02-06-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANFAN23435
When he agreed to rename the team, why did the NFL allow him to keep the OILERS name??? Cleveland got to keep their name so when they got their franchise back, the fans got their TEAM back!!! The moment the NFL picked Houston for a new franchise, McNair should have been given the option of keeping the OILERS name, not to mention the inclusion of the fans vote on this matter.
Cleveland Browns fans pitched a fit and held mass protests - in a blizzard! - to make themselves heard about their passion for their football team. They continued this protest until the NFL finally relented and forced Modell to give the name and records back.

The Oilers, on the other hand, had about nine people show up at city hall on a sunny day to show their love for the team. And then nothing was ever heard about it after that...and the rest is history.

Quote:
Now, I for one, always thought that the Columbia Blue in the uniform color scheme should have been changed to a Midnight Blue to make the overall scheme more menacing. But, in lue of what Bud Adams got away with... I would love to see the Texans and McNair stick it to Adams by adopting a SILVER, RED, COLUMBIA BLUE, and WHITE scheme. Bud Adams does not own the color scheme rights nor was the fans of Tennesee going to allow him to use it on their team. I would really enjoy sticking it to Bud Adams!!!!!
IMHO....the "columbia" blue, or smurf blue, or baby blue, or whatever blue, was too soft. And then they'd wear those god-awful all white unis on the road, and it looked like a junior college team.

Bud left that baby blue on the Titans uniforms...and it stopped his franchise about a yard short from winning a championship.

The only way to stick it to Bud Adams is for the Texans to win a Superbowl before the Titans do.
Old 02-06-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm for bringing back the city's NFL identity at least in some way.
The Texans new defensive coordinator was on the coaching staff of the Oilers team that blew the 32 point lead at Buffalo. Will that do?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2006   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
The Texans new defensive coordinator was on the coaching staff of the Oilers team that blew the 32 point lead at Buffalo. Will that do?
Lets hope he learned from those mistakes :brickwall

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #9
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I heard Jim Eddy was going to be his secondary coach.
Old 02-08-2006   #10
Fighting Blue Hen
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Shoot me now.
Old 02-08-2006   #11
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

I Dont remeber since it has been so long but i tought Good Ole Bud Had Said he would let us have the oilers name.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
The Oilers, on the other hand, had about nine people show up at city hall on a sunny day to show their love for the team. And then nothing was ever heard about it after that...and the rest is history.
What's funny is . . about a couple of hundred on this message board have come out and say that they were one of the nine people that showed up at city hall that day.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
I Dont remeber since it has been so long but i tought Good Ole Bud Had Said he would let us have the oilers name
The quotes I read said that Bud would never give up rights to the Oilers name. Just as well, because all's well that ends well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
What's funny is . . about a couple of hundred on this message board have come out and say that they were one of the nine people that showed up at city hall that day.

yeah, I've heard people tell me that, too. I take it with a grain of salt, though.

I didn't even know about the "Save the Oilers" thing until after it happened and we heard about it on the news. I remember thinking then that this will tarnish Houston fans for years to come. It was poorly organized, and apathy towards Bud/Oilers was rampant in the Houston sports scene by that time.
Old 02-08-2006   #14
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

What some of those on here that are still homers for the Oilers have to realize is that you have to let it go. The Texans are Houston's team now, the Titans belong to Nashville. It is nice to reminisce NOW AND AGAIN over the old team, but they are no more. All y'all hate on Bud and rightfully so (well, most of you) because he did you wrong...um...10 years ago? A decade has passed, a new team is here. Not all of this fanbase was an Oiler fan, I wasn't. I pretty much ignored them if you want to know the truth. I get somewhat aggitated when others assume that I was a FOO (fan of Oilers), just because I root for the Texans, doesn't mean I did for them too. There are plenty more in our fanbase like myself who keep silent as to not upset the apple cart. Leave it to me to push the darned thing over.

What I am trying to say is that it is alright to think about the past, but put it where it belongs. Maybe a different board or meetings every Thursday at one of your houses. This is where the Texans fans meet, not the Oilers.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #15
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
I Dont remeber since it has been so long but i tought Good Ole Bud Had Said he would let us have the oilers name.
You tought wrong. There was a prohibition (and I can't remember the details) against the use of the name Oilers by the any new Houston NFL team. Good old K.S. (Bud) Adams was insistent that there never be another team in Houston named the Oilers.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I didn't even know about the "Save the Oilers" thing until after it happened and we heard about it on the news. I remember thinking then that this will tarnish Houston fans for years to come. It was poorly organized, and apathy towards Bud/Oilers was rampant in the Houston sports scene by that time.
It was thrown together by one of the local Oilers fan clubs and they did a terrible job of organizing and promoting. It wasn't promoted on sports radio, tv, or the newspapers until it failed miserably and predictably.

That said, there wasn't (and isn't) a grass roots Cleveland-like NFL culture here that rose up and voiced loudly their desires for the team to stay. There were a lot of really die hard Oilers fans out there but they were largely outnumbered by those who wanted Bud out of here and others who couldn't care less...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
What some of those on here that are still homers for the Oilers have to realize is that you have to let it go.

What I am trying to say is that it is alright to think about the past, but put it where it belongs. Maybe a different board or meetings every Thursday at one of your houses. This is where the Texans fans meet, not the Oilers.
"Letting it go" is not in the programing.

The thread is Tittled "Screw Bud Adams". What did you think was being talked about? Maybe you miss read the tittle. I bet you thought it really said "Screw Sam Adams", the new no bottle opener required screw top. Na I'm playing.

Some wounds are just to deep. We the Oiler fans watched a 32 point lead vanish (and are reminded of that every year) and then watch the team that left the city make it to the superbowl by beating the Bills(of all teams)in the last few seconds of the game. Then having to put up with the phrase "Music city miracle."

So no, "letting it go", is not in the programing.

Old 02-08-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Some wounds are just to deep. We the Oiler fans watched a 32 point lead vanish (and are reminded of that every year) and then watch the team that left the city make it to the superbowl by beating the Bills(of all teams)in the last few seconds of the game. Then having to put up with the phrase "Music city miracle."
ugh....once again, I was subjected to watching the NFL Films version (and not the short one!) this year. It's like driving past a car crash...tough to take your eyes off of it.

I think my streak is alive of seeing that thing every year for at least the past 10 years. Even after all this time, it still blows my mind that they choked like that...or rather, the defense choked. Moon threw a perfect first half, just brilliant, and no team should expect their offense to keep on scoring when you're 32 points ahead in the third quarter. That was a defensive meltdown plain and simple.

yuck...now my mind feels all dirty. I'm going to go drink a gallon of bleach and Palmolive now...
Old 02-08-2006   #19
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
aren't you like 4 years too late on this one?

I loved the Oilers colors...deeper blue? no way. On the Texans, I would hate to see us change uniforms or colors like Les Alexander does with the Rockets since he took over.

No changing uniforms or colors!
I liked the colors too. University of North Carolina hasn't had any problems winning with them.

But, I will agree they are a little soft and the titans were probably smart to spice them up a bit.

I will never forget being 14 years old and wearing my Columbia Blue Oilers Jacket and hat at Three Rivers Stadium for an away game against the Steelers. I was using a urinal when I heard "Hey nice jacket Fairy Boy!" and this 50 year old guy kicked me right in the butt into the urinal. I wasn't feeling too proud of the "Luv ya Blue" at that moment. To the credit of the other Steelers fans a guy about 30 years old attacked they guy that kicked me.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #20
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What some of those on here that are still homers for the Oilers have to realize is that you have to let it go.
FILO, I agree with darn near 100% of what you post...but it's pretty tough just letting go of something that molded your youth such as how the Oilers molded mine. I grew up in H-town with my older brother who was a Steelers fan and being an older brother he made it a point to raz me about the Oilers every chance he could. Knowing the history of the Oilers you can expect I had to take up for my team quite often. I was crushed when the Oilers left. It's kinda like my first car...1968 AMC Rambler, lime green 4 door, lifter rattlin, rust infected clunker. Most people didn't appreciate it like I did cause they didn't know how I felt cause it was MY car. Kinda like the Oilers...they were MY team. That cars long gone but the memory of my first car is as sentimental as the Oilers as well.

Sorry, can't just forget 'em...wouldn't be right.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read