Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-06-2006   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default 05' Lineman Stat Breakdown

I did a thread similar to this one back halfway through the season to see where the weakness was coming from on our #1 problem. Here is the follow up, and/or finishing touch to the 2005's seasons dismal performance:

LT/LG Chester Pitts:
16 Games
5 Penalties/45 yards (1-FS, 1-HLD)
8.25 sacks allowed for 40 yards

LT Victor Riley (former Texan)
10 Games
4 Penalties/20 yards (3-FS)
7.00 sacks allowed for 61.25 yards

G Milford Brown:
13 Games
6 Penalties/35 yards (5-FS, 1-HLD)
5.00 sacks allowed for 40.50 yards

C Drew Hodgdon:
4 Games
2 Penalties/20 yards (2-HLD)
0.50 sacks allowed for 4 yards

C Steve McKinney:
16 Games
3 Penalties/15 yards (3 FS)
9.25 sacks allowed for 69 yards

G Zach Weigert:
12 Games
2 Penalties/15 yards (1-FS, 1-HLD)
5.50 sacks allowed for 34 yards

RT Todd Wade:
9 Games
5 Penalties/30 yards (4-FS, 1 HLD)
6.00 sacks allowed for 39 yards

Granted, that was just the "core" of our offensive line. I left several players off like Seth Wand (very limited action, and still managed to achieve 2.00 sacks), Todd Washington (0.0 sacks allowed) and unfortunatley, you cannot reference the amount of sacks credited to the runningback/fullback/and tight ends.

*Reference*
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/index.asp
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #2
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
LT/LG Chester Pitts:
16 Games
5 Penalties/45 yards (1-FS, 1-HLD)
8.25 sacks allowed for 40 yards
How does 8.25 sacks compare league wide with other LTs? My first reaction is that this number isn't so bad considering he's facing the best pass rusher almost every week ....
Old 02-06-2006   #3
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
How does 8.25 sacks compare league wide with other LTs? My first reaction is that this number isn't so bad considering he's facing the best pass rusher almost every week ....
This would still not be fair to Pitts b/c he did not ONLY play LT. Unfortunately, I don't know if you can determine the specific number of sacks that he gave up in each position that he played.
Old 02-06-2006   #4
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
This would still not be fair to Pitts b/c he did not ONLY play LT. Unfortunately, I don't know if you can determine the specific number of sacks that he gave up in each position that he played.

very true ...
Old 02-06-2006   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lets measure the rest of the AFC South, considering that would be the better gauge of the situation.

Indianapolis Colts Tarik Glenn:
16 Games
10 Penalties/60 yards (7-FS, 1 HLD, 1 OTR)
3.25 sacks allowed for 15.25 yards

Tennessee Titans Brad Hopkins:
15 Games
12 Penalties/81 yards (8-FS, 2 HLD, 2 OTR)
5.50 sacks allowed for 43.00 yards

Jacksonville Jaguars Khalif Barnes:
13 Games
2 Penalties/30 yards (2 OTR)
3.50 sacks allowed for 17.50 yards

To be fair, Jacksonville subbed in Barnes for Pearson on week 4:

Jacksonville Jaguars Mike Pearson:
4 Games
3 Penalties/15 yards (2-FS, 1 HLD)
3.50 sacks allowed for 16.00 yards

Combined: 7.00 sacks allowed.
Old 02-06-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, these are "stats" that are very subjective. Whomever gathered them probably have no clue who missed blocking assignments on many of the plays. They can only see what is obvious, or what they think is obvious.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #7
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

So where did the other sax come from, the "Sack Ghost" that haunts Reliant Stadium?
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2006   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Looking at Pitts' stats for the Texans, he allowed this many sacks:

2002 - 15
2003 - 5
2004 - 6
2005 - 8

So he's gotten worse over the past couple of years. Not that I'm saying he's a horrible tackle. Just letting the evidence speak for itself.

I have a question. I know in two games he lined up against Freeney when we played the Colts. Chuckm, who else are you talking about? I never looked at it from the standpoint of trying to grade the defensive players he went up against.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Modified question:

How does 8.25 sacks compare league wide with other LTs running a very restricted offense?

This past season was such a waste. In many areas I don't think we can even compare our stats with those of other teams.
Old 02-06-2006   #10
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Lets measure the rest of the AFC South, considering that would be the better gauge of the situation.

Indianapolis Colts Tarik Glenn:
16 Games
10 Penalties/60 yards (7-FS, 1 HLD, 1 OTR)
3.25 sacks allowed for 15.25 yards

Tennessee Titans Brad Hopkins:
15 Games
12 Penalties/81 yards (8-FS, 2 HLD, 2 OTR)
5.50 sacks allowed for 43.00 yards

Jacksonville Jaguars Khalif Barnes:
13 Games
2 Penalties/30 yards (2 OTR)
3.50 sacks allowed for 17.50 yards

To be fair, Jacksonville subbed in Barnes for Pearson on week 4:

Jacksonville Jaguars Mike Pearson:
4 Games
3 Penalties/15 yards (2-FS, 1 HLD)
3.50 sacks allowed for 16.00 yards

Combined: 7.00 sacks allowed.

thanks for the effort ... I guess 8.25 isn't all that good, maybe I was thinking in terms of the Texans ...
Old 02-06-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Modified question:

How does 8.25 sacks compare league wide with other LTs running a very restricted offense?

This past season was such a waste. In many areas I don't think we can even compare our stats with those of other teams.

yea no doubt .... that'll be impossible to quantify though ... I think he does a good job week in and week out
Old 02-06-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yea no doubt .... that'll be impossible to quantify though ... I think he does a good job week in and week out
All anyone has to do is pop in a tape of Pitts working against an elite pass rusher like Freeney to know where he is as a pass blocker. Pure stats alone (especially some that are this subjective) will give a false impression of players.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #13
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Looking at Pitts' stats for the Texans, he allowed this many sacks:

2002 - 15
2003 - 5
2004 - 6
2005 - 8

So he's gotten worse over the past couple of years. Not that I'm saying he's a horrible tackle. Just letting the evidence speak for itself.
If I remember correctly, wasn't 2003 the only season that he played full-time at LT? That is also when he had his lowest # of sacks....Coincidence?
Old 02-06-2006   #14
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
If I remember correctly, wasn't 2003 the only season that he played full-time at LT? That is also when he had his lowest # of sacks....Coincidence?
Not a coincidence at all.

Check out McKinney:

2002 - 2 sacks
2003 - 3 sacks
2004 - 3 sacks
2005 - 9 sacks

Here's Wade:
2003 - 1
2004 - 5
2005 - 5

(Wade's not a good example because he played most of the games every year, not all of them like McKinney.) However, I hope you see the trend. The line played much better in 2003. Like I said, I'm not trying to bash the beloved Pitts. Maybe we can look to other factors. Say, poor coaching...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Not a coincidence at all.

Check out McKinney:

2002 - 2 sacks
2003 - 3 sacks
2004 - 3 sacks
2005 - 9 sacks

Here's Wade:
2003 - 1
2004 - 5
2005 - 5

(Wade's not a good example because he played most of the games every year, not all of them like McKinney.) However, I hope you see the trend. The line played much better in 2003. Like I said, I'm not trying to bash the beloved Pitts. Maybe we can look to other factors. Say, poor coaching...
2004 - Enter Pendry
Old 02-06-2006   #16
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

2005 is a junk year statistically.

Poor technique coaching and poor play calling...

Did anyone play all 16 games at the same position?

The offense in 2005 was designed to "protect" Carr (whoops!!), we had more blocking from the backs and TE's. It had the opposite effect.

Kubiak and Co. will work wonders with many of the existing players. I think that we're only one stud lineman away from a servicable line.
Old 02-06-2006   #17
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Modified question:

Lets compare to the Bears (29th), the Jets (31st), and the 49ers (32nd):

Unfortunatley on the 49ers depth chart it lists Snyder as the only LT, which only looks as if he played half the season. I don't know who played the remainder/or start of the season at that position. I'll post his stats anyways:

San Francisco 49ers Adam Snyder:
16 Games (8 games started)
5 Penalties/32 yards (2-FS, 2-HLD, 1-OTR)
5.50 sacks allowed for 32 yards

New York Jets Adrian Jones:
16 Games
7 Penalties/52 yards (3-FS, 4-HLD)
8.00 sacks allowed for 49 yards

Chicago Bears John Tait:
15 Games
6 Penalties/43 yards (3-FS, 3-HLD)
9.50 sacks allowed for 58 yards

That actually ended up being a pretty good question, and an interesting comparison. Granted, it looks as if pressure on the quarterback is what is crippling these offenses. In Chicago's case, thankfully they were able to rely on a stout defense that actually carried them into the playoffs.
Old 02-06-2006   #18
LowDownSkinny
Rookie

Default All Great Stats

Wow, those stats had to take awhile to compile. Nice work.

There is no question in my mind that pass protection is the #1 concern.

Having said that, taking Vince or Bush does not address that concern.

Both have great things they can bring to the table, but what the Texans need is: 1) focus on pass-blocking by all positions (OL, TE, FB, RB, WR), 2) a new coaching/teaching approach to achieve that end, 3) 2 first-round picks with at least one being an OT.
LowDownSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Also, these are "stats" that are very subjective. Whomever gathered them probably have no clue who missed blocking assignments on many of the plays. They can only see what is obvious, or what they think is obvious.

I think this is overlooked a lot ....Blitz pick ups ,missed assignments , stunts .... hard to say who should be credited w/ allowing a sack in many situations

But take a look at the 9+ sacks given up by the Starting Center ..... How does that stack up to the rest of the NFL ?
That number really concerns me more that Pitts . The center isnt generally lining up against the best pass rusher ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pitts played LT full time in 2002 and 2003 and then was shifted to LG for all of 2004. In addition to what Vinny has pointed out, people have to keep in mind the interdependence of the OL. Pitts picked up something like 5.5 of his 8.25 sacks during the first 5 games while playing LG next to Riley. Riley not doing his job well made Pitts' job harder. Pitts played much better at LT where he had less decision making and could just take on the outside guy 1 on 1 most of the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read