Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-04-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HPF:Paradigm Shift

Quote:
Note: This is seventh in a series of college prospect profiles in preparation for the 2006 NFL Draft next April. This time we take a look at the top five prospects on the defensive line.

The Texans’ coaching change will have a drastic effect on the team’s defensive line if, as expected, they change their base defense from Dom Capers’ 3-4 to a 4-3. After four years of looking for massive block-eaters, the Texans’ front office will be paying added attention to the pass rushing and playmaking abilities of the D-linemen that they scout.

The transition to an even front should create a glut of defensive tackles as Seth Payne, Gary Walker, Robaire Smith, and Travis Johnson would all likely play inside in that scheme. Walker and Johnson in particular should thrive in a system that requires them to penetrate and disrupt rather than controlling the line and keeping blockers off the linebackers. The vets in this group will earn some hefty base salaries in 2006 ($4 million for Walker, $3.4 million for Smith, and $2.8 million for Payne), and since only two of them will play at a time, that means a big chunk of the salary cap is going to be standing on the sideline on any given defensive play.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #2
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

If anyone can answer this, I would be much oblidged:

Could the Texans' trade any one of the vets (Walker, Smith, or Payne) and not take a salary cap hit. I'm afraid I don't know the ins and outs of the whole salary issue.
Old 02-04-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
If anyone can answer this, I would be much oblidged:

Could the Texans' trade any one of the vets (Walker, Smith, or Payne) and not take a salary cap hit. I'm afraid I don't know the ins and outs of the whole salary issue.
I don't think so, Walker and Smith are signed through 2009 and Payne through 2008. If we traded them in the last year of their contract, there would be no cap hit. I am not 100% sure, but it all has to do with how their contract is arranged as far as base salary/bonus goes. I am sure one of the gurus on here could explain it better.
Old 02-04-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, take them in and out....no excuses for getting tired in the 4th quarter. Less time on the field, more maximum effort and no running game wearing them down. So, it's not a total lost cause.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #5
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

why not play gary walker at LE? i think he played there in jacksonville, and its not like we have anyone better to play at end.

Babin/Peek - Johnson - Smith - Walker
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfrancis
why not play gary walker at LE? i think he played there in jacksonville, and its not like we have anyone better to play at end.

Babin/Peek - Johnson - Smith - Walker
DE's in a 4-3 arent 300 pounds...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #7
Almost Anybody
Rookie

Be careful what you wish for.

If you want them to go to a 4-3, and from what I hear, that's what's going to happen, then brace yourselves. No way, no how, are they going to keep 4 high dollar defensive tackles, all weighing over 300 pounds. Casserly has said it himself on the radio on more than one occasion. "If we go to a 4-3, we will have a surplus of defensive tackles".

Wanna take a guess on what the word "surplus" means to capologist Charley?

You have have Walker, Payne, Johnson, and Smith. Which two will be the next Sharper and Glenn?

Last edited by Almost Anybody; 02-04-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Almost Anybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2006   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Anybody
Be careful what you wish for.

If you want them to go to a 4-3, and from what I hear, that's what's going to happen, then brace yourselves. No way, no how, are they going to keep 4 high dollar defensive tackles, all weighing over 300 pounds. Casserly has said it himself on the radio on more than one occasion. "If we go to a 4-3, we will have a surplus of defensive tackles".

Wanna take a guess on what the word "surplus" means to capologist Charley?

You have have Walker, Payne, Johnson, and Smith. Which two will be the next Sharper and Glenn?

My money is that both Payne and Smith will be cut loose. They spent all this effort getting the right players for the 3-4 . . . but like Casserly said . . . you can't have 4 highly paid DTs if your going to a 4-3.

I just get this feeling a baby is being thrown out with the bathwater?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #9
whiskeyrbl

I agree Payne would be one cut,because of injuries.But i believe Walker would be the other due to his age and seeming to get knicked up in every game last year.Smith is still relatively young and TJ is just getting started.
Old 02-05-2006   #10
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I still think that Walker is going to go before Payne and Smith. JM
Old 02-05-2006   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
I agree Payne would be one cut,because of injuries.But i believe Walker would be the other due to his age and seeming to get knicked in every game last year.Smith is still relatively young and TJ is just getting started.
I agree it should be Payne and Walker, but I think it's going to be the two that will have the least effect on the cap. But no matter which ones he chooses, the cap hit will be huge.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #12
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Guys, if we are unable to unload Payne or Walker, it would only be one of them. There is such a thing as depth to worry about. One will go, 3 will stay. From quality of play last year and age, Payne will probably the one to go, if they can get rid of him.
Old 02-05-2006   #13
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
DE's in a 4-3 arent 300 pounds...
Okay, move them to the offensive line in that case
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149996 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
Guys, if we are unable to unload Payne or Walker, it would only be one of them. There is such a thing as depth to worry about. One will go, 3 will stay. From quality of play last year and age, Payne will probably the one to go, if they can get rid of him.

IF one is cut/traded I think it would be Walker .... he's more expensive and is oft injured and has underperformed the last couple of seasons .... Then again he can play DE on the strong side ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #15
SESupergenius

We will sink this franchise further if we switch to a 4-3. Everyone knows that Fangio was incompetent in the 3-4, and also the 4-3. If we had ran the 4-3 under Fangio, you can bet your house our defense would have faired no better. Bring in an agreesive 3-4 coordinator to fix this ship.
Old 02-05-2006   #16
whiskeyrbl

The only problem with this is in a 3-4 half of our defensive personell are playing out of their normal positions,add to the fact that those i saw interviewed wanted to switch to a 4-3 so their strengths could be utilized.And if i'm not mistaken i believe management said we were switching to a 4-3,with a few 3-4 sets.
Old 02-06-2006   #17
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Bring in an agreesive 3-4 coordinator to fix this ship.
Why do I continue to see posters calling for us to bring in a coordinator to run the 3-4?? Didn't we already hire Richard Smith? Did I miss something?
Old 02-06-2006   #18
cadahnic
All Pro

Jack some people do not pay attention to Texans news. Anyway the thought on surplus of DTs and the such will be put to rest if Walker restructures his contract. As far as players go Smith and TJ will likely turn into our best DTs. They are our youngest and most athletic out of the top group being mentioned. Walker is the likely one to get cut and then they will likely retain the kid from the last two games that came off the practice squad. Also, look for Ioane and Deloach to be finding new places to play.
Babin and Peek can play weakside DE, but we still need a strong side pass rusher that will maybe command prescence and take pressure off of Babin and Peek. Hopefully a possible trade down and Mario Williams. This year will not be an overall switch to a 43 defense but a hybid of the 43 and 34 similar to what Miami ran this year.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #19
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
Why do I continue to see posters calling for us to bring in a coordinator to run the 3-4?? Didn't we already hire Richard Smith? Did I miss something?
He still had to hire positional coaches at that point, we need coaches familiar with the 3-4, calm down there.
Old 02-06-2006   #20
Jack Bauer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
He still had to hire positional coaches at that point, we need coaches familiar with the 3-4, calm down there.
The post (yours) I questioned directly was 12 hours ago and it referenced the coordinator. That is why I asked the question. I am not freaking out, I just thought I missed something.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read