Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "What if" question for you Texan fans

Here's my "what if" question for you guys:

Let's say David Carr has a decent career. Not Hall of Fame, but a Brad Johnson-ish type career. He becomes a confident quarterback, he throws between 20-25 TD's a year, but never is one of the elite. But Carr and Co. lead the Texans to one Super Bowl and we win it. We may go to the playoffs 4 or 5 other times during his career, but we only get to one SB, but we win it.

Now let's say Vince Young has a magnificent career. He's a Pro-Bowl QB almost every year and has the stats to back it up (unlike Mike Vick). He's the MVP a couple of times and is one of the best QB's of the last 20 years. He also leads the Texans to the playoffs 7 or 8 times, but never wins a Super Bowl. He has Dan Marino-ish career. Great QB, never gets the ring.

Which one would you take?
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #2
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam

Let's say David Carr has a decent career. Not Hall of Fame, but a Brad Johnson-ish type career. He becomes a confident quarterback, he throws between 20-25 TD's a year, but never is one of the elite. But Carr and Co. lead the Texans to one Super Bowl and we win it. We may go to the playoffs 4 or 5 other times during his career, but we only get to one SB, but we win it.

Now let's say Vince Young has a magnificent career. He's a Pro-Bowl QB almost every year and has the stats to back it up (unlike Mike Vick). He's the MVP a couple of times and is one of the best QB's of the last 20 years. He also leads the Texans to the playoffs 7 or 8 times, but never wins a Super Bowl. He has Dan Marino-ish career. Great QB, never gets the ring.

Super Bowl win. In. a. heartbeat.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #3
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you date a super model for 10 years even if you could never have sex with her just to impress your friends?
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

As decades pass the memories of players fade. Superbowl victories last forever.

Joe Namath is probably the most overated QB of all time. (In my opinion is the most overated QB if not player of all time) In fact in his 13 year career he only threw more tds than ints a total of TWO seasons and had a completion % over 50% only six times and never threw for more than 53%.

Despite all this the Jets victory in Superbowl III and his "Guarantee" has led people to believe that he was a great QB. He won the mvp in that game despite over 90% of his completions going to one receiver and not completing a pass in the second half of that game. He was even inducted in the the "Football Hall of Fame" and all of this was a direct result of that ONE game in the superbowl. (also being hyped by the NY media helps)

Anyway if David goes on to win a Superbowl and Vince doesn't history will hold David in a higher regard and Carr will end up having a better career.

Its all about the rings baby.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 02-03-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Whoever can get us the most superbowl wins... in your scenario, that would be David........ judging by their skill level, work ethic, and all around will to win... I think David Carr is the more Marino-ish of the two...... actually, I'd say he's more Bledsoe-ish...... he'll probably get us their one day, and not come home with the win....
Old 02-04-2006   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
As decades pass the memories of players fade. Superbowl victories last forever.

Joe Namath is probably the most overated QB of all time. (In my opinion is the most overated QB if not player of all time) In fact in his 13 year career he only threw more tds than ints a total of TWO seasons and had a completion % over 50% only six times and never threw for more than 53%.

Despite all this the Jets victory in Superbowl III and his "Guarantee" has led people to believe that he was a great QB. He won the mvp in that game despite over 90% of his completions going to one receiver and not completing a pass in the second half of that game. He was even inducted in the the "Football Hall of Fame" and all of this was a direct result of that ONE game in the superbowl. (also being hyped by the NY media helps)

Anyway if David goes on to win a Superbowl and Vince doesn't history will hold David in a higher regard and Carr will end up having a better career.

Its all about the rings baby.
I'm not so certain about what you say of Willy Joe having watched a lot of his games. People forget he was a very injured ball player playing at a very high level. He had the quick release and he was a leader. I think your are under estimating his abilities. Again, injuries played a big part in his career and he left a great deal on the field because of that. I don't think his team mates ever questioned his leadership or guts. He obviously had other issues, however, on the field he was better than most think.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I'm not so certain about what you say of Willy Joe having watched a lot of his games. People forget he was a very injured ball player playing at a very high level. He had the quick release and he was a leader. I think your are under estimating his abilities. Again, injuries played a big part in his career and he left a great deal on the field because of that. I don't think his team mates ever questioned his leadership or guts. He obviously had other issues, however, on the field he was better than most think.
injuries (he only missed significant time in four seasons) don't explain his decision making (INT to TD ratio) and his completion %, nor does it explain why he was elected into the Hall of Fame, Thats like saying Bo Jackson should be nominated since he was very good, but was cut down by injuries.

I've talked to multiple Jet fans who think Joe was overated. Ask yourself this, if he doesn't make that gaurantee and if the Raiders won the year before, does he reach God status in the almanacs of sports history......NO. All his stardom came off one game and the fact he played in NY.

I'm not saying he was a crappy qb, but he was just above mediocre to say the least and definitely, didn't have a HOF career.

- Edmund Burke
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2006   #8
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
injuries (he only missed significant time in four seasons) don't explain his decision making (INT to TD ratio) and his completion %, nor does it explain why he was elected into the Hall of Fame, Thats like saying Bo Jackson should be nominated since he was very good, but was cut down by injuries.

I've talked to multiple Jet fans who think Joe was overated. Ask yourself this, if he doesn't make that gaurantee and if the Raiders won the year before, does he reach God status in the almanacs of sports history......NO. All his stardom came off one game and the fact he played in NY.

I'm not saying he was a crappy qb, but he was just above mediocre to say the least and definitely, didn't have a HOF career.
Injuries and pressure from teams knowing he had the gimpy legs I think lead to a lot of that. Look at film when he was in his prime and playing for the Bear. In fact he was injured I believe in his senior year. I think you might have a different insight. Remember, he had to wear very short cleats to try to avoid serious injury. Hey, I just feel a little differently than you. No big deal.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

no problem, if everybody agreed there would be no purpose for this board

- Edmund Burke
Old 02-04-2006   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

damn I reached my 1,000th post and didn't even notice, I wish it could of been a little more meaningful

- Edmund Burke
Old 02-04-2006   #11
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I take Carr and the Superbowl, without a doubt.
Old 02-04-2006   #12
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Carr and the Superbowl. Young if the situation was reversed. Basically whichever one of those guys can turn it around for this team and get us there and win the big game.
Old 02-04-2006   #13
NativeJPR
Rookie

I unfortunately watched every game this past season and I saw NOTHING that would lead me to believe that DC could ever take us to the SB, as a matter of FACT, on more than one occasion I saw him SUCCESSFULLY duck a would be tackler and he STILL went down. Now I have a lot of faith in GK but I'm not sure he or anyone for that matter can get DC back where he can be successful but if that is the path we as a team choose to take I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but I have my doubts. I'm all for drafting VY and letting him learn his first year then trade DC next year and we start being a serious SB contender after that. IMO
NativeJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

What loaded question. One goes to 5 or 6 playoffs and wins the Super Bowl. One goes to 7 or 8 playoffs.

Exchange two playoff appearances for one Super Bowl win?

That's math that really only allows for one answer.
Old 02-04-2006   #15
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
If you dont say RING you should not be a loud to write, talk or play football.
Because that is why you play.
Word
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
What loaded question. One goes to 5 or 6 playoffs and wins the Super Bowl. One goes to 7 or 8 playoffs.

Exchange two playoff appearances for one Super Bowl win?

That's math that really only allows for one answer.
I agree. A more difficult decision might be if Carr led the Texans to 2 playoff appearances in the next 10 years and won one Super Bowl while Young led them to 7 playoff appearances and no Super Bowls in the same time span. I'd still go with a Super Bowl win. Everyone remembers the winners, but nobody remembers those that were in the playoffs 6 years ago.
Old 02-04-2006   #17
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

You play to win the game...in the NFL, that means the SuperBowl, you dont get points for coming close
Old 02-04-2006   #18
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

SB and Carr. Hands down, no questions asked.
Old 02-04-2006   #19
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam

Since Carr wins a Super Bowl you have to pick him. I don't care if young is better the only thing that matters is winning the Super Bowl
Old 02-04-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If everyone agrees that we'll win a SB with Carr, then I don't get what all the arguing is about. See, it's all settled now.

What the **** are we gonna talk about?

Seriously though, I agree that Houston needs that SB. We've already had one QB set records for passing yardage all over the place and never win the big one (and a RB with rushing), even though I don't blame him for that problem.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read