Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-03-2006   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Report: James says his days with Colts are over

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2317349

Colts running back Edgerrin James told the Indianapolis Star he believes his playing days in Indianapolis are over.

"I don't see nothing happening,'' James told the newspaper Thursday night. "You can read between the lines and from the things I'm hearing, nothing's going to happen.

"And that's crazy, man. I'm part of the solution, I'm not part of the problem. Crazy, man."
Old 02-03-2006   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I heard about this too, that definitely will make things interesting. I don't know what happened that he feels disrespected and such, but that will definitely change the Colts and whatever team he goes to, it will also likely impact the draft of both teams, and make it more plausible for the Colts to resign Reggie Wayne.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think this hurts the trade down scenario because it gives the Jets and Packers a cheaper option for an elite RB.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if the postseason this year was the straw that broke the camels back. Maybe the Colts are finally gonna fall apart and let some of us other AFC South teams win the division every once in a while.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #5
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro

Colts running back Edgerrin James told the Indianapolis Star he believes his playing days in Indianapolis are over.

"I don't see nothing happening,'' James told the newspaper Thursday night. "You can read between the lines and from the things I'm hearing, nothing's going to happen.

"And that's crazy, man. I'm part of the solution, I'm not part of the problem. Crazy, man."
did james learn much english in high school, man?
Old 02-03-2006   #6
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro

didn't we hear this same song last year?
Old 02-03-2006   #7
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Edge really wants to go play for Miami, but that could be a very crowded backfield with their present RB's, and pretty expensive.
Old 02-03-2006   #8
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Very interesting. Rhodes just isn't going to come in and make the difference in their running game that James does.

Power vacuum in the AFC South in 06???
Old 02-03-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I wonder if the postseason this year was the straw that broke the camels back. Maybe the Colts are finally gonna fall apart and let some of us other AFC South teams win the division every once in a while.
We can only hope! *fingers crossed*

In this day and age of FA and "parity", teams only have a 4-5 year window to be successful. After that, salaries limitation start dictating that certain players cannot be resigned. The Colts' window might be closing.
Old 02-03-2006   #10
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default Edge Wants Out...

OK...here's what I'm thinking. Edge is going to go where the money is. That leaves a vacancy at Indy. Now, do you think that the Texans would unload someone from our stock to make room for Bush (provided we are going to draft him and not trade down) to Indy? I know it's dumb to give one of your own rivals within the division, but I was just curious. This could be anyone from DD, Wells, or Morency.

Here's my source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2317349
Old 02-03-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
The Colts' window might be closing.
I don't know about that but the Pitts-Indy playoff game should be very eye-opening to a lot of teams .... granted not all teams can bring the heat the way the Steelers can but Manning sure look flustered most of the day ... hit him early and get his feet moving ....
Old 02-03-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
OK...here's what I'm thinking. Edge is going to go where the money is. That leaves a vacancy at Indy. Now, do you think that the Texans would unload someone from our stock to make room for Bush (provided we are going to draft him and not trade down) to Indy? I know it's dumb to give one of your own rivals within the division, but I was just curious. This could be anyone from DD, Wells, or Morency.

Here's my source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2317349
Intersting article, I can't imagine why they'd place a higher priority on Reggie Wayne than on Edgerrin James but that makes things interesting, although I can defintiely understand wanting to re-sign Freeney as a top priority. This could make things interesting in the free agent market if the Colts indeed do not sign him to a long-term deal, as appears to be the case, or they could decide to franchise/transition tag him and trade him so they at least have a say in where he goes and get something in return for his departure.

Edit* I checked our list of offseason info in the draft folder, and I think these teams could all be viable options for signing Edge if he leaves the Colts:
Arizona - a lot of cap room, an offense that has some comparable talent everywhere but the OLine and likes to spread things out a lot, not sure if they like Arrington as a long-term solution at RB.
Baltimore - a lot of cap room and Jamal Lewis looks like he could be on his way out there, the Ravens could take Edge rather than relying on a draft pick or Chester Taylor.
Green Bay - a lot of cap room and Ahman Green could be on his way out, not sure on that one and I'm not sure if he'd like Green Bay. He seems to be drawn towards the bigger markets and Green Bay looks to be in the rebuilding mode.
Jacksonville - also a decent amount of cap room, and Fred Taylor's days could be numbered there with his injury history. The Colts would do everything they can to keep James from going to a division rival, but if he hits the free agent market it could happen, and they have the most complete team of any of the ones on this list so he has a chance to compete deep in the playoffs.
Minnesota - they have some cap room and have definitely been looking for a more solid RB and one that can contribute to the passing game too. James fills this role well and then they could look elsewhere with their draft picks to solidify their defense, plus they are one of the more complete teams on this list too.
San Francisco - they have some cap room now, but Alex Smith's contract will change that in the future, so a long-term deal might not work. They could use a better RB although some people there think that Gore/Barlow/Hicks is a serviceable group, but James would allow them to concentrate their draft efforts elsewhere. Right now they have a really bad offense and OLine though.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 02-03-2006 at 12:13 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #13
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Before we celebrate the Colts window closing, the Texans might want to open their curtain first. Honestly I'm hoping for a big turnaround but usually a team has to atleast knock on the door of division winner before they can knock it down.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If we could get him you can definetly start talking trade down. However here are my questions about him. Can he play behind a line that is less than the one he has in Indy and can he play on team whose passing attack is less than the one in Indy?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #15
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

pit has a good enough defense to keep them in contention each year, so maybe with the bus retiring he would consider becoming a steeler - all depending on parker (3rd down back?) and staley though.

...just my random thoughts
Old 02-03-2006   #16
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
If we could get him you can definetly start talking trade down. However here are my questions about him. Can he play behind a line that is less than the one he has in Indy and can he play on team whose passing attack is less than the one in Indy?
Who is him? Edg? No way we pick up James. Will cost too much. He is a proven NFL back but in a couple of years he will be considered old for NFL RB standards, right about the time we start paying him 8M per year in his contract. The overriding fact is he will cost too much for us to even blink at.
Old 02-03-2006   #17
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
didn't we hear this same song last year?
Yeah, difference is that Reggie Wayne is a FA this year and the Colts will most likely keep Wayne before James...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Yeah, difference is that Reggie Wayne is a FA this year and the Colts will most likely keep Wayne before James...
Plus their top 4 LB's are either RFA (June and Brackett) or UFA (Thornton and Morris) as well as pass rush specialist Mathis (11.5 sacks) RFA, and the guy who plays in front of him at LDE, Raheem Brock (6.5 sacks) UFA. They are going to have to put some money into the D to keep it together.
Old 02-03-2006   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Who is him? Edg? No way we pick up James. Will cost too much. He is a proven NFL back but in a couple of years he will be considered old for NFL RB standards, right about the time we start paying him 8M per year in his contract. The overriding fact is he will cost too much for us to even blink at.
Money isnt a problem because if we take Bush we will pay him something around 50 to million for 6 years. That's Alex Smith first pick money, now the Texans may try to cut the money down because he doesnt play QB and the 50 million is QB money, but I dont think Bush and his agents would go with that. Use age if you want, but money shouldnt be a factor if the Texans wanna draft Bush. All I know is James is a stud, he is either the leader or in the top 3 of yards from scrimmage per game over his career. I would love to have him on this team...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

The whole reason why Bush is so attractive to the Texans is because of his versatility. Edge is a decent receiver, but he isn't going to be lined up as a receiver for several plays per game.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read