Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-02-2006   #1
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs down Saints will allow center LeCharles Bently to test FA market

Quote:
DETROIT — New Orleans Saints center LeCharles Bentley, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next month, said Wednesday the team has indicated it will allow him to test the open market.

“Mickey told me he was going to let me test the market,” Bentley said.

Loomis, however, said the organization hasn’t made any personnel decisions because new coach Sean Payton has been on the job less than two weeks and is still working on putting together a coaching staff.

If the Saints were to franchise Bentley, he would receive the average salary of the top 10 offensive linemen in the league. That number is expected to be $6.983 million for a one-year deal in 2006, which is a number the Saints may find hard to swallow.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/2244517.html
Oh well, Kendyl Jacox is better @ center anyways, and we'll just find his replacement in FA or through the draft. *shrugs*
Old 02-02-2006   #2
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

That is great news for the Texans. We could really use him on our team
Old 02-02-2006   #3
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1
If it is true, it will be hard to beat out Cleveland. Will probably have to over pay him, because from what I've heard he wants to return home. Which means he would probably go to the Browns for less.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1

Bentley said on the Jim Rome show .... "I want to get paid and I want to play for a winner" .... I dont think he would even look at the Texans .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

from kffl.com

Browns | Bentley says he is interested in returning to Cleveland
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:50:25 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports New Orleans Saints OC LeCharles Bentley, a native Clevelander, has told friends that he would like to return home and play for the Cleveland Browns. Bentley is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March.
Old 02-02-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Bentley said on the Jim Rome show .... "I want to get paid and I want to play for a winner" .... I dont think he would even look at the Texans .
No doubt. When I heard that I gave up hope on Bently being a Texan. Best to just let that notion go.
Old 02-02-2006   #7
ghostlight
All Pro

Rep Power: 202 ghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respected

That shows how bad NOLA is if someone would rather go to Cleveland. I guess the love of home is stronger than common sense.
Old 02-02-2006   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight
That shows how bad NOLA is if someone would rather go to Cleveland. I guess the love of home is stronger than common sense.

Common sense would tell me after dealing with the mess that was the Aints last season I dont want to be there .....

As for Cleveland ...... If he does land there its because of money and hometown not because they are winners . With Pittsburgh and Cinncinatti in that division the Browns are likely to finish no better than 3rd for the forseable future ..... Now if he's looking to Win .... Atlanta is a Lineman or two away from a dominant offense ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Note the order of that statement.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #10
Samer
Veteran

Doesnt most players want to get paid and play for a winner? I mean come on, don't let that ruin our chances of landing him
Old 02-03-2006   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

he seems very serious and sincere just the type of player the Texans would be interested enough to make a competitive offer and demonstrate their commitment to turn things around starting with YOU
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #12
cadahnic
All Pro

The guy said he wants to play for a winner and he wants to get PAID. One thing we know how to do is overpay for talent. At least this guy has been a top talent before we overpay for him. Bottomline is the Texans are, with the new hiring a much more attractive place to play and most people feel we can have a strong rise with the new leadership around. We were considered playoff contenders last year, and now with leadership and a system that will take advantage of our players strengths we are in good shape and soon to be good standing. I offer Bentley 6yrs. 28M including the 8M signing bonus. That kinda offer will sell him.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer
Doesnt most players want to get paid and play for a winner? I mean come on, don't let that ruin our chances of landing him
Agreed. I have yet to hear a top player stand up and say he wants to play for the league minimum and for the worst team he can possibly find!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
The guy said he wants to play for a winner and he wants to get PAID. One thing we know how to do is overpay for talent. At least this guy has been a top talent before we overpay for him. Bottomline is the Texans are, with the new hiring a much more attractive place to play and most people feel we can have a strong rise with the new leadership around. We were considered playoff contenders last year, and now with leadership and a system that will take advantage of our players strengths we are in good shape and soon to be good standing. I offer Bentley 6yrs. 28M including the 8M signing bonus. That kinda offer will sell him.
I agree that money almost always takes precedence over playing for a winner. As far as overpaying, this might be exactly the type of guy who is worth more to us than another team.

For instance, we need a lot of help in the middle of the line. We also need leadership in the line and more successful veteran presence. Bentley can bring those things to us in one package. It's my opinion that with a center of his quality and a good coaching staff, we can build the rest of an average starting o-line with what we have. Yes, average, but that would be a significant improvement for this team. If we pay 3-4 million more than say Cleveland offers, it would be money well spent.

I would then draft a couple of new lineman to start preparing them for play in the future; I wouldn't expect very many rookie lineman to make a positive impact immediately.

I think we would still have a depth problem at o-line, but we could assemble an adequate starting 5.
Old 02-03-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I agree that money almost always takes precedence over playing for a winner. As far as overpaying, this might be exactly the type of guy who is worth more to us than another team.

For instance, we need a lot of help in the middle of the line. We also need leadership in the line and more successful veteran presence. Bentley can bring those things to us in one package. It's my opinion that with a center of his quality and a good coaching staff, we can build the rest of an average starting o-line with what we have. Yes, average, but that would be a significant improvement for this team. If we pay 3-4 million more than say Cleveland offers, it would be money well spent.

I would then draft a couple of new lineman to start preparing them for play in the future; I wouldn't expect very many rookie lineman to make a positive impact immediately.

I think we would still have a depth problem at o-line, but we could assemble an adequate starting 5.

I would overpay for him to a certian extent. He loves to pull and move his feet. He struggles to push the opponent back at the POA, but he is a STUD. I would still take a OT early. Probally D'brick still. But Reggie Bush becomes much more of an option to me if we sign Bently.
Old 08-30-2007   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Saints will allow center LeCharles Bently to test FA market

Hadn't seen another recent thread on Bently. But I recently heard he's been put on the PUP list.

I know some folks wanted us to sign LeCharles in '06, but now that he hasn't played a down(I believe) for the Browns, it looks like passing on him was the right decision.
Old 08-30-2007   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

He was injured in most consider a freak accident in camp last year.
Not sure how us passing on him before that happened turned out to be a good decision.

But his situation is a perfect example of why it's so much tougher for linemen to come back from leg injuries than any other player on the field. I know He & Spencers' injury are different, but still it's going to be a long road back for charles & i don't know if kubes is going to have the patience to wait on him.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #18
Lrayblu
Rookie

Another move that makes Sean Payton look like the genius he is,
Lrayblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Payton is a good coach but i don't see how letting him go and him having a freak injury could lead one to any sort of a conclusion that the move was genius.

Snakebitten as we have been with linemen Cleveland seems to not be far behind. Tkyss agreed while not the same exact injury and Spencer it does seem like the cards are stacked against him to come back completely.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Hadn't seen another recent thread on Bently. But I recently heard he's been put on the PUP list.

I know some folks wanted us to sign LeCharles in '06, but now that he hasn't played a down(I believe) for the Browns, it looks like passing on him was the right decision.
You're correct, he was placed on PUP

I wouldn't be rushing into another "MAYBE" comeback.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read