Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-02-2006   #1
mike230765
Rookie

Default Mario Williams

i was wondering what peoples thought were about trading down and picking up mario williams?
mike230765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #2
cadahnic
All Pro

Mike I am simply estatic about the idea of it. Let me give you some info.
Mario Williams DE N.C. State Jr.
6-7 290 Est.40 4.65 coming out of Phoneix right now.
Bench Press 31*225
Have not gotten the rest of his stuff give me some time though.
Junior year. 14 1/2 sacks

The guy is a freak, it is rare that players of this size come out with this kind of athleticism. He is my trade down pick right now and if he brings it at the combine I would even take him number 1. Yeah I doubt that would happen I would find a trade down partner even if it meant taking less in order to get him. Or I do the draft and trade like SD and NYG did.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #3
SportsJunkie
Rookie

He sounds like another Julius Peppers.
Old 02-02-2006   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunkie
He sounds like another Julius Peppers.
agreed. i wouldn't mind this too much.
Old 02-02-2006   #5
Dunta_23
All Pro

From what I hear, Id LOVE to have him on the Defense, immediate upgrade at rushing the passer....
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #6
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Is he as athletic as Peppers, I mean Peppers did play basketball in college.
Old 02-02-2006   #7
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Great guy... hes amazing. I dont doubt that he would be an amazing pass rusher, but id rather the Big LT of we trade down.
Old 02-02-2006   #8
Mightymike
Veteran

this guy is a no brainer would have more impact than dbrick
Mightymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #9
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Why is that a given? A great season for a DE is about 16, close to the league lead. For a rookie with his skills we can expect around 10, maybe a little more if he stays healthy. Thats means about .7 sacks per game. If we can get someone who can not only solidify the LT position but also allow Pitts to go back to LG, that would solidify 40% of the line, without any FA or other draft picks. I think both DE and O-line are huge needs on this team, slightly ahead of MLB, but if its a toss up between D'Brick and Mario right now, all things considered (such as our new O minded coaches) I would pick D'Brick.
Old 02-02-2006   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
this guy is a no brainer would have more impact than dbrick
People think that because Offensive Lineman dont score or make tackles that they dont make a bg impact. Say for instance we draft Williams, he is going to start over say... Babin at LDE. Babin may get lets say at worst 3 sacks next season...Williams gets at best 10 sacks, so lets say at best we get an extra 7 sacks because Williams starts for Babin.

Now on the other hadn we draft Ferguson. That allows us to move Pitts to where ever... helps to solidify o-line and gives us great depth...as bad as our o-line has been laying that alone may save Carr 15-20 sacks, just by taking him and allowing Pitts to go back to his natural position.
Old 02-02-2006   #11
Mightymike
Veteran

mario makes the whole defense better, secondary doesn't have to cover for as long.
mario is better in my opinion and brick is better in yours.
i also think that the draft is much deeper w/ olineman so that if u draft mario u won't downgrade much from brick
Old 02-02-2006   #12
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
People think that because Offensive Lineman dont score or make tackles that they dont make a bg impact. Say for instance we draft Williams, he is going to start over say... Babin at LDE. Babin may get lets say at worst 3 sacks next season...Williams gets at best 10 sacks, so lets say at best we get an extra 7 sacks because Williams starts for Babin.

Now on the other hadn we draft Ferguson. That allows us to move Pitts to where ever... helps to solidify o-line and gives us great depth...as bad as our o-line has been laying that alone may save Carr 15-20 sacks, just by taking him and allowing Pitts to go back to his natural position.
u don't judge an end's impact on how many sacks he makes
u judge it on how he makes the rest of the defense better, along with sacks, tackles for loss etc.

there's no stat that gives a d-end props for flushing a qb out the pocket and forcing a interception

i just feel like he will have more impact than brick
and it's not like d-end's score all the time either.
Old 02-02-2006   #13
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
People think that because Offensive Lineman dont score or make tackles that they dont make a bg impact.
in now way shape or form did i say that brick wouldn't have a big impact, i said mario would have more
Old 02-02-2006   #14
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
mario makes the whole defense better, secondary doesn't have to cover for as long.
mario is better in my opinion and brick is better in yours.
i also think that the draft is much deeper w/ olineman so that if u draft mario u won't downgrade much from brick
No ones trying to attack you... stop being so defensive. I was just giving a reason why I feel Ferguson cold make just as much of an impact if not more.

You say Williams makes D better

Ferguson makes O better

Secondary doenst have to cover as long

Carr isnt on his back as much

Oh and this draft isnt too shabby at DE either with Williams, Hali, Kiawanuka, Manny Lawson, Dummerville, Tapp, Wimbley

Both Williams and Ferguson are head and shoulders above the compition though... dont get so offended if someone responds to your post, this is a message board.
Old 02-02-2006   #15
Mightymike
Veteran

aight, thanx fo advice
im not tryin to be like dat i just feel strong about my opinion u know
Old 02-02-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No ones trying to attack you... stop being so defensive. I was just giving a reason why I feel Ferguson cold make just as much of an impact if not more.

You say Williams makes D better

Ferguson makes O better

Secondary doenst have to cover as long

Carr isnt on his back as much

Oh and this draft isnt too shabby at DE either with Williams, Hali, Kiawanuka, Manny Lawson, Dummerville, Tapp, Wimbley

Both Williams and Ferguson are head and shoulders above the compition though... dont get so offended if someone responds to your post, this is a message board.
Add in Ray Edwards from Purdue. Great physical guy, left early due to coaching or lack there of.
Old 02-02-2006   #17
Mightymike
Veteran

otha than d'brick
Marcus McNeill, Eric Winston, Winston Justice, Jon Scott, Max Jean-Gilles, Davin Joseph, Fred Matua, Duece Lutui, Nick Mangold, Greg Eslinger
all go in top 2-3 rounds
but brick is much betta than all of these guys though,
Old 02-02-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Mario would be a great addition to the defense. He is as big as Peppers, but not quite as athletic, but still it looks like he should be a freak. I'm still not that big of a fan of D'Brick, we definitely need to address our OLine with at least two of our higher picks, but I still prefer Eric Winston to D'Brick, and he could be available at #33, and if not after trading down we'll have some extra picks in there we can package together and trade back up to grab Winston. Before his injury in 2004, he was regarded as the best OLineman in college football, right there with Robert Gallery while being two years younger. His knee injury has slowed him down some, but I think he will regain his previous athleticism, he's already probably the second most athletic OLineman in the draft behind Ferguson, and he's stronger and a better run blocker so he's more versatile that Ferguson. Mario is far and away the best DE in the draft, so my personal preference would be to trade down and draft him at #4/5 and then get Eric Winston for our OT, either at #33 or trade back up a little to get him.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #19
Samer
Veteran

He is definately a freak and can see another Julius Peppers coming out of him, but then at the same time, I don't want to judge a player until he has officially proven himself at the nfl level.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Williams will be a monster, and one we'll look back and wish we'd drafted him. I've always hoped we'd eventually have a player like that on our line, but [unfortunately] this year's draft is loaded with talent. Some of it we need more than others, and our o-line has to be our no. 1 priority, IMO. It'll be a draft of tough choices, but our no. 1 will definitely be talented. I'd cheer if it was Mario, though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read