Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-01-2006   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do we really need an early round Ugly?

I know we have the second-worst O-line in history, but wasn't the Line really good when D-Hog played? Pitts-McKinney-Hogdon-Wiegert-Wade (I think) did not allow many sacks. Everyone else should be replaced in at earliest 5th round.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #2
Dunta_23
All Pro

Im all for drafting a franchise lineman in the first round, but also they arent the fancy pick that everyone talks about, what do you suggest they draft in rounds 1-4?
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Im all for drafting a franchise lineman in the first round, but also they arent the fancy pick that everyone talks about, what do you suggest they draft in rounds 1-4?
We have holes at LB, TE, maybe a CB, and a S to replace Coleman.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

The line looked good compared to what we'd seen from them earlier in the season. They were in no way a good NFL O-Line. They were just better than the horrid play we saw early on. So to answer your question YES an OLineman should be picked in one of the first 3 or 4 rounds. Doesn't mean you have to spend a 1st Rounder on one, but I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up an OG to eventually replace Weigert and/or an OT.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #5
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I just want to get someone who will give Carr sometime to throw and not have to run for his life.
Old 02-01-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Really depends on what we do in FA......... if we can land a LeCharles Bently, we can stick him at either Center, or Gaurd, which will greatly improve the play of the guys on either side of him.
Old 02-01-2006   #7
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Tapp DE second round
Parham MLB third round
Setterstorm OG third round
Mangold or Enslayer OG/C fourth round

That would go a long way to improving the team whoever we add after can also help.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2006   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Really depends on what we do in FA......... if we can land a LeCharles Bently, we can stick him at either Center, or Gaurd, which will greatly improve the play of the guys on either side of him.
Even if we get him, we still need to use a pick in the top 3 rounds(i would prefer round 2) to get a guard or RT.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
I know we have the second-worst O-line in history, but wasn't the Line really good when D-Hog played? Pitts-McKinney-Hogdon-Wiegert-Wade (I think) did not allow many sacks. Everyone else should be replaced in at earliest 5th round.

Hodgdon play about 2 and a half game's I believe (3 starts) .... the line did look better with him at C and McKinney at LG .

Milford Brown and Fred Weary started the majority of the season at the guard spots . They are likely the two worst (starting) guards in the NLF. This coupled with McKinney back at center is the downfall of the O-line . (I think both are free agents .... My hope is that in that case they dont return).

Im of the opinion that the Texans are weak on the interior of the O-line . So there doesnt have to be an early pick used to fix this.. Guards and Centers are generally found in rounds 3 and later . That being said , there is ONE Guard....Max Gean-Gilles.....I'd take in round 2 .... Although he's likely to be gone mid / late round one .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Even if we get him, we still need to use a pick in the top 3 rounds(i would prefer round 2) to get a guard or RT.
agreed
Old 02-02-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
The line looked good compared to what we'd seen from them earlier in the season. They were in no way a good NFL O-Line. They were just better than the horrid play we saw early on.
Exactly - they went from hopeless to merely inadequate. Compared to the 2004 season they were poor, and the 2004 line had to block for seven step drops and a real passing attack. At no time did the 2005 line look "good" while running an NFL caliber offense.
Old 02-02-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Im of the opinion that the Texans are weak on the interior of the O-line .
And yet we finished the season starting 5 guards. Fantastic coaching!
Old 02-02-2006   #13
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I would say Bush 1st.

2nd TE- A TE can make or break your offense. I really would love to have Fasano out of ND right here. Good blocker, great hands, great athlete- good all around TE.

Other Needs:
-Safety
-LB
-O Linemen

The reason why I am saying we dont need to draft an O Linemen is if you looked into the texans offseason program (ive stated this before) you saw their plan was to lose weight and gain speed...most retarded thing I have heard to do for an offensive line. We have the players- We need the coaching and the offseason training. An offensive line is the one position in football where you can take a mediocre group of guys and make them all stars with great coaching. We need a consistent starting 5 group that can work together, drafting one raw college offensive linemen isnt going to make the work easier for the other 4 linemen. It won't make a big enough impact.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #14
The Preacher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I guess this is what it comes down to. Getting this guy will instantly upgrade everybody, quite probably more than d'brick. If we don't get this guy or d'brick it could be a long year again. Hopefully Kubiak can work some magic but after counting on the gel method last offseason I would be skeptical to say the least.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

It's been interesting to me that we have had so many posts concerning one of the last decisions the Texans will probably make. The upheaval in coaching was first, and now we are on to Free Agency. (Does anybody with Front Office connections know if the Front Office received many hits this season?) Once we have the Free Agents locked down, then we can better determine what Houston will do on Draft Day. Like is being posted around - if the Texans free-agent a center or tackle, then we can expect to get Bush/Young. If they don't pick that one up during Free Agency, I think we are more likely to trade down.

FWIW - I still think they will try to pick up a TE/Secondary in the second round and a LB/lineman in the third.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

and depending what is done with Carr's contract..... 2yr/3yr...... we'll have an idea of where these guys are really leaning.
Old 02-02-2006   #17
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42
I would say Bush 1st.

2nd TE- A TE can make or break your offense. I really would love to have Fasano out of ND right here. Good blocker, great hands, great athlete- good all around TE.

Other Needs:
-Safety
-LB
-O Linemen

We need a consistent starting 5 group that can work together, drafting one raw college offensive linemen isnt going to make the work easier for the other 4 linemen. It won't make a big enough impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
FWIW - I still think they will try to pick up a TE/Secondary in the second round and a LB/lineman in the third.

What???????

Were you guys being sarcastic? Please tell me you were... We dont need to draft any o-lineman...we should wait until the 3rd to draft o-line. Even the biggest Bush/Young lovers know if we take any skill player in round one than OL is the concern in round 2. I at least accept that view, but you have to be completely blind to say that oh.

Our o-line is fine the way it is??? We have the worst offensive line in the history of NFL football.

Oh and why would you waste a second rounder on Fasano when he is almost sure to be ther in the 3rd.

Davis
Pope
Lewis
Byrd
Klopfenstein... all TEs rated higher than Fasano
Old 02-02-2006   #18
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42

The reason why I am saying we dont need to draft an O Linemen is if you looked into the texans offseason program (ive stated this before) you saw their plan was to lose weight and gain speed...most retarded thing I have heard to do for an offensive line.
Its called zone blocking and fat, slow offensive lineman cant do it.
Old 02-02-2006   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
And yet we finished the season starting 5 guards. Fantastic coaching!

Ill give ya 4 guards ..... Pitts has been a LT since college and its his natural position ..... When Riley was benched / CUT and Pitts returned to LT the line was much improved

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
No we do not need to take an O-lineman in the 1st. We have the luck that this is not only one of the deepest drafts for O-line but that the talent level of skill players at the top blows away last year and most other years. We can still get a Bush or VY or a D playmaker AND get O-lineman with 3 of the next 66 picks.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read