Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-31-2006   #1
BIG RED

Exclamation 2006 Nfl Draft Advice

The 2006 NFL Draft propects include many talented players such as Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Matt Lineart, and many others. But, the Texans need to focus on two aspects rather than selecting a player who thay can expect profits from. The Offensive Line and the Defense as a whole.

Imagine this, AJ Hawk, Haloti Ngata, Gabe Watson, or other players on the Texans defense. But imagine,

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
Eric Winston, Miami (FL)
Jonathan Scott, Texas
Marcus McNeill, Auburn
Andrew Whitworth, L.S.U.
Justin Blalock, Texas
Mike Otto, Purdue
Ryan Harris, Notre Dame
Daryn Colledge OT Boise State
Max Jean-Giles, Georgia
Davin Joseph, Oklahoma

As a potenal draft pick.

Remeber, St Louis picked Orlando Pace the OT, look how good he became.

I think the Texans should draft down and pick up atleast two players in the first round most likely they should get Gabe Watson as a NT and D'Bricksaw Fergueon as an OT. These big men could really make a difference!

What Would Homer Do?!
Old 01-31-2006   #2
jgite
Rookie

You can take Justin Blalock off the list. He is coming back for his senior year to win another NC
jgite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

The only way that we could select Gabe Watson is to trade down, then trade back up out of the second. But with Robaire Smith, a player who was a very good DT in the 4-3 and Johnson, who played 4-3 in college, I think that DE would be more of a concern. Nice post though, welcome to the board.
Old 01-31-2006   #4
cadahnic
All Pro

Understand the D'Brick love, but if I trade down I only get Mario Williams, as of right now. A DE that can change the game just means so much and we will win more games in the long run with a good defense than with an offense. I would then either trade back in and get Eric Winston or hope he falls to me in the second since I doubt that I would take Jon Scott to play RT. Then in the third I am looking for Mangold and Jonathan Joseph or Demario Minter.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #5
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net
Rookie

why are u giving up the chance to draft bush? next year if we still suck which we probably still will, maybe not last place but still wil, we can draft and o line or trade and stuff
DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #6
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net
why are u giving up the chance to draft bush? next year if we still suck which we probably still will, maybe not last place but still wil, we can draft and o line or trade and stuff
So you are counting on the Texans sucking???? Wow. You are more of a Bush bandwagon fan than you are a Texans fan. Whoever will help us win the most games is who we should draft. Not the flashy guy and hope we suck next year.
Old 01-31-2006   #7
Rookie

dude we are gonna suck for eternity if we dont start to pick up some stars
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2006   #8
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
So you are counting on the Texans sucking???? Wow. You are more of a Bush bandwagon fan than you are a Texans fan. Whoever will help us win the most games is who we should draft. Not the flashy guy and hope we suck next year.
Well i wouldn't want 2 not pick a guy who has talent 2 b as good as barry sanders. i don't care if we already have davis. switch off and on the carry's. And we ren't that good of a team. I am hoping 4 a a good season. i don't think we will make the playoffs, but hell, i would b happy with a 8-8 or 7-9 eason. A sign of development
Old 01-31-2006   #9
Rookie

of course who wouldnt and excactly we should get bush and keep drafting stars
Old 01-31-2006   #10
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said this a lot of times on this board and I'll say it again: We can draft o-linemen later in the draft. It has been proven time and again that you don't need to spend a high draft pick on an o-linemen. Either draft Bush or trade down to pick a Mario Williams or A.J. Hawk. I prefer Bush because he gives us a lot of options on offense.
Old 01-31-2006   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans>Colts
Well i wouldn't want 2 not pick a guy who has talent 2 b as good as barry sanders. i don't care if we already have davis. switch off and on the carry's. And we ren't that good of a team. I am hoping 4 a a good season. i don't think we will make the playoffs, but hell, i would b happy with a 8-8 or 7-9 eason. A sign of development
Barry Sanders never won a SuperBowl, but Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden bothe have one. LT doesnt have one either, neither has Vick, Manning, Donovan McNabb, TO...

But guess what Brady has 3. Hes not an awesome talent with superstarts all over the field. He is a very good QB that makes good decisions and has a full team of good players. Not superstars, good players. If the past has shown you anything, it is that no one player can make a team, and you need a full compliment.

Oh and Big Ben is in one too. He isnt an amazing QB, they dont have an amazing star RB, Hines Ward is the closest to a superstar player that you will find on the team.

Walter Jones, another Franchise LT also has a chance to win one on Sunday. Oh and other than Sean Alexander, who is a very good back not an amazing one, what superstar is on the Seatte team.

Quote:
Oh yeah, draft a lot of superstars so we can be overcap in 3 years and have to dissassemble the whole squad.

Oh stars like the 2003 Offensive Rookie of the Year Dominick Davis, and a star LT named D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Just because you dont score points doenst mean that youdont mean just as much to your team.

Oh and last but not least, since you guys are all so high on college skill players from the Rose Bowl, dont forget that Texas and USC had arguably the 2 best offensive lines in the NCAA.

The last two dynasties, New England and the Dallas Cowboys both had very good o-lines. The Cowboys o-line of the 90's was massive and the NE's isnt to shaby, I know Brady doesnt get sacked 63 times a year. Oh and what about Denvers back-to-back superbowls won behind their great zone blocking o-line.
Just something to chew on.

Last edited by BuffSoldier; 01-31-2006 at 05:34 PM.
BuffSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
Either draft Bush or trade down to pick a Mario Williams or A.J. Hawk. I prefer Bush because he gives us a lot of options on offense.
I'm with you on the Bush pick Nawzer, but if we opt for a trade I'm hearing that A.J. Hawk probably wouldn't be a potential choice for us. The thing is, Hawk would probaly be a OLB even in the 4-3 and we've got some people already on our roster who can play that position. We'll need a MLB if we go
4-3, but they can be had, even good ones, without using a first round pick.
But a big time DE like Williams is most likely on our short list if we trade down.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #13
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I did a little research to find out how many first round o-linesmen are playing or are part of these really good offenses. O.k. I'll start with the Patriots and I won't go over every single o-linesmen, just enough to make a point.

Patriots:
Tom Ashworth-Undrafted free agent by the 49ers originally.
Nick Kaczur- 3rd Rd.
Dan Koppen- 5th Rd.
Matt Light-2nd Rd.

Steelers:
Alan Faneca- 1st Rd.
Marvel Smith-2nd Rd.
Max Starks-3rd Rd.

Seahawks:
Walter Jones- 1st Rd.
Steve Hutchinson- 1st Rd. (17 overall)
Chris Gray-5th Rd.
Sean Locklear-3rd Rd.

KC Chiefs:
Willy Roaf-1st Rd.
Brian Waters- Rookie free agent with Dallas originally
Casey Wiegmann- Rooke free agent with Colts originally
Will Shields- 3rd Rd.
John Welbourn- 4th Rd.

As you can see there are a lot of 3rd and 4th rounders, and even some rookie free agents in that list. There are first rounders in this list and they are great players, but my point is that you don't have to draft an o-linesman high to have successful and potentially great o-line. Besides it's not like have one high first round o-line guy like D'Brickshaw is going to cure our problems suddenly. You have to remember it's a line not just one single player! And a rookie and no matter how talented you are will struggle a lot, specially at the left tackle position. I think with Gary Kubiak in and if we draft some guys later in the draft and sign some veterans we should be solid at that position. If Bob McNair wants to win now (like he said the other day) we are better off drafting Reggie Bush who will contribute now instead of having to wait a few years for a guy like D'Brickshaw to develop.
Old 01-31-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm going to appolagize in advance to the moderators.

[Edit--with that intro you had to suspect what would happen--let's try to be civil--infantrycak] We have had the "star first" approach for a while. Bush lovers this year, will want Peterson next year, and the Slattor (sp) from W. VA. Yes, we can split the carries between all 4 RB's, because they are "stars". We don't need to consider the cap, nor do we need to consider our horrendous offensive line that has really yet to improve to the league average even.

Your right. What was I thinking?!?!?! What kind of fan am I for wanting to build a top notch trench before we take ANOTHER skill player that we don't need. :brickwall

O-Linemen can be stars in their own way, but they create other stars also.

Again, I appolagize for my harshness.
Old 01-31-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I did a little research to find out how many first round o-linesmen are playing or are part of these really good offenses. O.k. I'll start with the Patriots and I won't go over every single o-linesmen, just enough to make a point.

Patriots:
Nick Kaczur- 3rd Rd.
Dan Koppen- 5th Rd.
Matt Light-2nd Rd.

Steelers:
Alan Faneca- 1st Rd.
Marvel Smith-2nd Rd.
Max Starks-3rd Rd.

Seahawks:
Walter Jones- 1st Rd.
Chris Gray-5th Rd.
Sean Locklear-3rd Rd.

KC Chiefs:
Willy Roaf-1st Rd.
Will Shields- 3rd Rd.
John Welbourn- 4th Rd.

As you can see there are a lot of 3rd and 4th rounders, and even some rookie free agents in that list. There are first rounders in this list and they are great players, but my point is that you don't have to draft an o-linesman high to have successful and potentially great o-line. Besides it's not like have one high first round o-line guy like D'Brickshaw is going to cure our problems suddenly. You have to remember it's a line not just one single player! And a rookie and no matter how talented you are will struggle a lot, specially at the left tackle position. I think with Gary Kubiak in and if we draft some guys later in the draft and sign some veterans we should be solid at that position. If Bob McNair wants to win now (like he said the other day) we are better off drafting Reggie Bush who will contribute now instead of having to wait a few years for a guy like D'Brickshaw to develop.

That list shows that most of the LT's are 1st rounders. There will be exceptions, but generally that is the way to go. Guards do not go in the 1st round as a general rule, but there are exceptions also. We do not need top round OG's. We need a TOP TIER LT.
Old 01-31-2006   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

O.k. say if we do draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson there is absolutely no guarantee that he will be a left tackle. Look at Robert Gallery..wasn't he going to be the next great left tackle? But as far as I can remember he played right tackle the past 2 seasons. Wasn't Jordan Gross of the Panther's supposed to be a left tackle as well? He's also playing right tackle. And even if Ferguson is our left tackle there is no guarantee that he will become "top tier" type of player for us. Yes, he had a very good career at college and he's had a couple of good workouts. He also played pretty well at the Senior Bowl from what I've read and heard. But for me personally, if I were to compare Reggie Bush and D'Brick I would still pick Reggie Bush. Based on solely what we have seen from both these players in college I can say that Reggie Bush is the better player and better prospect than D'Brickshaw is. Both might have outstanding NFL careers or both might be busts but as of today right now, I would go with Bush. I realize that our o-line is needs to be fixed but if we want to win right now draft some o-linesmen later in the draft, we sign some vets, and let Kubiak and his guys scheme and coach the players. I believe we will have a solid not spectacular but a solid o-line that will help our offense move the ball consitently. And with Reggie Bush in our backfield we will potentially have a great running game.
Old 01-31-2006   #17
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Patriots:
Nick Kaczur- 3rd Rd.
Dan Koppen- 5th Rd.
Matt Light-2nd Rd.

Steelers:
Alan Faneca- 1st Rd.
Marvel Smith-2nd Rd.
Max Starks-3rd Rd.

Seahawks:
Walter Jones- 1st Rd.
Chris Gray-5th Rd.
Sean Locklear-3rd Rd.

KC Chiefs:
Willy Roaf-1st Rd.
Will Shields- 3rd Rd.
John Welbourn- 4th Rd.
3 out of the 4 LTs on that list are first rounders. The best OC in the draft can possibly be found in the 3rd round, and possibly the best OG Gean-Milles may fall to the second. We NEED a franchise LT.

Every Pro Bowl OT in the 2006 Pro Bowl was a first rounder!!!!!

WOW

Last edited by BuffSoldier; 01-31-2006 at 07:03 PM.
BuffSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
O.k. say if we do draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson there is absolutely no guarantee that he will be a left tackle. Look at Robert Gallery..wasn't he going to be the next great left tackle? But as far as I can remember he played right tackle the past 2 seasons. Wasn't Jordan Gross of the Panther's supposed to be a left tackle as well? He's also playing right tackle. And even if Ferguson is our left tackle there is no guarantee that he will become "top tier" type of player for us. Yes, he had a very good career at college and he's had a couple of good workouts. He also played pretty well at the Senior Bowl from what I've read and heard. But for me personally, if I were to compare Reggie Bush and D'Brick I would still pick Reggie Bush. Based on solely what we have seen from both these players in college I can say that Reggie Bush is the better player and better prospect than D'Brickshaw is. Both might have outstanding NFL careers or both might be busts but as of today right now, I would go with Bush. I realize that our o-line is needs to be fixed but if we want to win right now draft some o-linesmen later in the draft, we sign some vets, and let Kubiak and his guys scheme and coach the players. I believe we will have a solid not spectacular but a solid o-line that will help our offense move the ball consitently. And with Reggie Bush in our backfield we will potentially have a great running game.
D'Brick is a LT only. He does not have the body or natural mean streak to play RT. Gallery might not move to LT until force, he loves playing RT by all reports. It was also reported that he COULD start at LT for them, but they NEED him at RT. Gross has been a littler slower developing, but D'brick is a better prospect coming out than Gross was. Gross is also doing quite well at RT, but should move very quickly to LT.

Also, Fergueson has a much higher ceiling than bush at their respective positions. Bush is pretty much what he will be his entire career, and that may not be bad, but Fergueson has more potential, fits our scheme perfectly, and fills a 4 year void.
Old 01-31-2006   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
3 out of the 4 LTs on that list are first rounders. The best OC in the draft can possibly be found in the 3rd round, and possibly the best OG Gean-Milles may fall to the second. We NEED a franchise LT.

Every Pro Bowl OT in the 2006 Pro Bowl was a first rounder!!!!!

WOW
BINGO
Old 01-31-2006   #20
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Based on solely what we have seen from both these players in college I can say that Reggie Bush is the better player and better prospect than D'Brickshaw is.
Ferguson is arguably the second best player in the draft. If an LT is the second best player in the draft that consists or Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk, Mario Williams, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and DeAngelo Williams and we are able to get extra picks and still get the 2nd best player in the draft then OMG.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read