Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-31-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jim Bates no longer candidate for DC

ESPN Insider is claiming Jim Bates is 99% NOT coming here, and it was Kubiak who decided against it. I have copied and pasted the text for you below:

Bates willing to sit out: The weekend didn't do any more to convince Jim Bates, the recently departed Packers defensive coordinator, to take the Bills' defensive coordinator job. So Bills coach Dick Jauron will probably have to go in a different direction. Bates is frustrated. The head coaching job in Green Bay went to Mike McCarthy, and Bates thought he had a good offer to be the Texans' defensive coordinator, but Gary Kubiak decided to go in a different direction. The Bills' offer wasn't great, so Bates is willing to sit out two years -- the Packers would pay his salary -- until he finds something that interests him.

Hopefully this will stop the countless "...I hope Bates is still an option..." replies that I am reading. Bates is history. Not a candidate anymore.

Bates was the top candidate and something happened along the way that radically changed Kubiak's mind.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #2
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
ESPN Insider is claiming Jim Bates is 99% NOT coming here, and it was Kubiak who decided against it. I have copied and pasted the text for you below:

Bates thought he had a good offer to be the Texans' defensive coordinator, but Gary Kubiak decided to go in a different direction.
OK, I don't want to rush to judgment here, but does it seem like Kubiak is making a hash of the whole assistant coaches hiring thing?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #3
Long Baller
Rookie

I am not sure how true this is but I have heard reports that Bates wanted full control for hiring all the defensive position coaches and this is why Kubes backed off. If true, this makes sense and I can understand why Kubes did not OK this. It would be difficult for a HC to give an assistant that much control.
Old 01-31-2006   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Baller
I am not sure how true this is but I have heard reports that Bates wanted full control for hiring all the defensive position coaches and this is why Kubes backed off. If true, this makes sense and I can understand why Kubes did not OK this. It would be difficult for a HC to give an assistant that much control.
If true Kubiack may have made his first rookie HC mistake. Bates defense is always ranked close to the top 5. Kubiak is and has always been a offense minded coach. Surrounding himself with great defensive coaches would be a strong way to go.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #5
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian
If true Kubiack may have made his first rookie HC mistake. Bates defense is always ranked close to the top 5. Kubiak is and has always been a offense minded coach. Surrounding himself with great defensive coaches would be a strong way to go.
Agreed. And, it could not have been the simple control issue as (a) I'm sure Bates would've at least discussed with Kubiak, and (b) Kubiak NEEDS a terrific DC.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #6
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

If Sherman does end up with the Texans, maybe something will work out with Bates. There's no telling these days...........
Old 01-31-2006   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I think its good that we didnt give Bates all the control he wanted. Remeber, Bates is, much like Fangio, a very passive cover 2 man. Not necesseraly the route I want my team taking. Yes he is consitently ranked near the top in terms of D, but taking this much power away from a rookie HC is dangerous. Many people point to DC, but Greg Williams was established with the current team beofre Gibbs came back, there is also no doubting Gibbs reputation. All in all, as long as we find someone capable of running the D the way Kubes want, Im all for it.
Old 01-31-2006   #8
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
OK, I don't want to rush to judgment here, but does it seem like Kubiak is making a hash of the whole assistant coaches hiring thing?
Some of the best players are helped by their assistant coaches. Sometimes, the assistants work closer with the individual players, helping them hone down certain techniques. The coach will work more directly with the team as a whole. An assistant can make a huge difference in a players' play, translating to a better team play. JM

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read